Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Swarthy Libations posted:

I-Spy are awesome.

Thanks for this. Are there any other bands that fit into the Propagandhi/I-spy mould? These bands do not necessarily need to contain Todd, but if they do I would not be upset.

I haven't seen any mention of Pour Habit, saw these guys open for NOFX/Bad Religion last year and I've had their album "Suiticide" on regular repeat since. Very fast, almost metal drumming but it adds to the overall energy of the tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sharon is Karen posted:

I found it pretty boring and forgettable, except for maybe the first track and "Someone to Believe". I can't imagine anyone singing along with any of these songs at a future Bad Religion show. It's still better than the last piece of poo poo they put out though.

I have listened to the song "Only Rain" a bunch of times and really like it, it seems like a strong track that will work its way into my regular playlist. I'll sing along to it for sure.
The rest of the album hasn't caught my attention as greatly through 2 listens but it sometimes takes me a while to appreciate an album. I did notice that when remembering sections from some of the songs that they seamlessly morphed into older BR tracks which then captured my train of thought so maybe forgettable is a somewhat accurate description. I'll stick with it though, I still listen to New Maps of Hell (which also has songs I'll sing along to...).

Any Aussies heading to the No Sleep 'til festivals around the country? I'm looking forward to seeing NOFX again, and seeing the Descendants and MF&TGG will be great as well. Of course the highlight will be seeing the cunts in Frenzal Rhomb give it their all. Cunts.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

iron chic posted:

Also, I just started listening to Propagahndi a couple of months ago. Less Talk More Rock is like the perfect album! I guess I always assumed they were a boring skate punk band that somehow remained relevant. If you always brushed them off, you're missing out.

I feel that the band really matured from Todays Empires onward, the last three albums are some of my absolute favourite records. I still really like the snotty up-yours punk of their first releases, but sonically they have expanded so much in recent years that you could be mistaken it was a separate band.

I-Spy was recommended earlier in the thread, has a lot of similarities to Propagandhi and even has the same bass player. Their discography is on youtube here:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've always been a bit unclear on the specific criterion for pop-punk, what exactly is it that affixes the pop prefix to the genre? Is it the lyrical content ie singing about girls/turning older/scooters as opposed to something with a more societal/political lean, or is it simply that slightly-more radio-friendly sound? Is it even the ethic behind the releases like distributing on cd/itunes is pop-punk whereas providing a 7th generation dubbed cassette tape recorded in a service station bathroom is the real OG punk?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's got to be just lyrical content because fundamentally there is very little difference between the music in any given Bad Religion or NOFX track compared to the "pop" Millencolin/Samiam/Goldfinger equivalent. It's all powerchords and d-beats and fast tempos but because one band doesn't throw in the occassional "screw you, government!" lyric then they are dismissed as an unworthy sub-genre? A lot of songs from the supposed "proper" punk bands are about things like friends and partying and random events anyway but are they getting a free pass due to the fact that they wear a frown when singing their serious tracks? Material Boy by Millencolin is basically a stab at consumerism, surely that gives them some punk cred?

It could be that pop punk is being conflated with calpunk or whatever that 90s american punk sound is called (basically anything from a Fat Wreck/Epitaph sampler) and being derided as not being one of the "truer" forms like Oi or streetpunk/gutterpunk, instead being something that has an easier time finding radio airplay and subsequently achieving a larger audience. Resenting popularity is a big facet of the punk ethos, so maybe the notion that a band could gain large public exposure is enough to affix the pop prefix and move the release to their internal "people will think I am less punk if they think I enjoy this" list. I certainly thought that way when I was 17, and I missed out on a lot of great music because of it.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

If I was just getting into listening to Punk/Hardcore/Emo music what would be the first 5 albums you would recommend me?

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotten Vegetables
Propagandhi - Todays Empires Tomorrows Ashes
Various Artists - Fat Music For Fat People
Bad Religion - Stranger Than Fiction
Pennywise - Full Circle (or Straight Ahead)

I might cop some flak for including a Fat Wreck sampler but volumes 1 and 2 of the Fat Music series are two of my absolute favourite CDs, they introduced me to a lot of great bands and basically shaped my entire musical tastes. Any punk samplers (Fat Wreck, also Epitaph's Punk-o-Rama series) are generally very cheap and a great way of getting exposure to a ton of different bands and punk styles.
Todays Empires I consider to be Propagandhi's best album (with Supporting Caste very closely behind it), their earlier albums were a lot simpler in the songwriting but the melodic/metal/hardcore elements they introduced from Todays Empires onwards really defines the band as a unique musical entity instead of being just another skate punk band.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
It's one of their "Yeah go girl you can make it!" uplifting songs and I've never been the biggest fan of those tracks, this one appears to be no exception. I haven't really clicked with any of the albums after Home from Home, I like the darker sound of the earlier stuff and the only song in recent years that I have liked is Farewell My Hell which does resume a little of the dark guitars and lyrics. The happy stuff I don't mind if they're singing about scooters and poo poo like that, and they have always had a couple of soppy "your mum died, don't feel bad" positive songs but now it seems the balance has shifted to it being their primary output if this is the single they tease the album with.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gaz2k21 posted:

So guys I checked back a few pages but didnt see any talk of it.....anyone heard pennywise's new album ???!?!? You really should try it....it's loving fantastic!

This is strange, it is definitely a good album but I'm just weirded out by the change in singer. For me a very big part of Pennywise's sound was Jim's vocals, they just fit the lyrical content so well, especially the more reflective stuff like What if I and Alien, and while the new lead's vocals are still impressive it just doesn't (for me) give the band that slight edge that having Jim as a frontman provided. Before there was no problem identifying a Pennywise song even if I had never heard it before but now it could be any of a dozen punk bands in my playlist.
It might become more familiar and identifiable with repeat listens and further output but I'm not sure, this is the first band that I have had to deal with a change in vocalist instead of a less prominent instrumentalist member being replaced which can be unnoticeable if they keep the same writing style. Have there been any other bands that you guys consider "big" in your own collection that have changed their singers? a) How did you react to the change and b) did the band last from that point onwards both from an overall fanbase view as well as your own?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ricecop69 posted:

Please tell me people still listen to Ten Foot Pole, No Use for a Name, Face to Face, Good Riddance, Pennywise, and NOFX and all the great "older" bands.

This is prettymuch where my musical tastes sit (plus Bad Religion and Propagandhi), I got introduced to this world of music from the early Fat Wreck and Punk-o-Rama samplers, those discs are my go-to albums when I want to get poo poo done, nothing gets my blood pumping more than a nice fast tempo track from bands like these. I wasn't aware of Ten Foot Pole though so I looked them up and realised that yes, I do recognise their songs, so thanks for giving me another band to binge through their discography.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Saw Guttermouth play last night, was probably the most disappointing act I've ever seen. Vocals were almost nonexistent in the mix and drunk girls kept invading the stage and commandeering the mic (which, thankfully, we could barely hear anyway), while the singer spent half the time on the floor and the other half asking the audience where they could score some coke. Still had a good night but it's a bit of a letdown to see such a poor show from a band that have been doing this for a long time.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

It pleases me an inordinate amount to learn that Chris and I use the same guitar.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I hate crowdsurfing/stagediving just because at 6'4" I am the prominent iceberg that the titanics of legs, fists and boots always seem crash directly into. Looks cool from a distance when I am not being kicked in the face though.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I love the arrangement and brevity of Apple cider I don't mind, the first few listens you're not even sure there's a chorus in there, energy is kept high from the sloshiest hi-hat line, then a sudden switch in beat to take the song home and it's over as soon as it began.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

StoneOfShame posted:

I listened to A Man is Not a Camel for the first time in years today, I forgot how great that record actually is.

Yeah I went on a big punk binge when it was my turn to drive on a recent road trip. Meet the family, man is not a camel and san souci all got trotted out. Had "I Went Out With A Hippy" stuck in my head for most of that holiday.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Really into this track at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSA1xvK0ws0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't know about The Used but it made me think about The Freeze instead and how Crawling Blind is a solid album, and then I researched them for the first time and found they have like 10 more albums, so thanks.