Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Thatoaklandkid posted:

Currently listening to the new Defiance, Ohio. Not overly impressed, but I like the song "Anxious and Worrying"

Hope the live show matches up to how good it used to be though

They've got new stuff out? As of when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Mike_V posted:

Have they put it up on their site yet?

Nope, but i'm on the hunt for it.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
Sup dudes, list me some good Folk Punk bands.
I already listen to TBIAPB, Defiance Ohio, Young Pioneers, Ghost Mice, maybe a few others i can't remember right now.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Big Blue Violence posted:

God drat it.

Definitely check out A Fistful of Dynamite, O! Pioneers!!!, Bread and Roses, and the Riot Folk collective.

Forgot to mention them. I <3 Riot Folk.

Thanks for all the other recommendations guys, i'll check em out.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Corbet posted:

Hello friends, I need some help. I'm looking to expand my horizons and I was wondering what hardcore bands you would recommend that are still creating music/touring?

Tragedy (crusty D-beat type stuff. Get their 7" Can We Call This Life? or their self-titled)
Career Suicide (early 80's style hardcore)
Strike Anywhere (very very melodic hardcore)
Brutal Knights (awesome)

DoHimJob fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Nov 14, 2007

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
You guys heard of the hail seizures? They loving rule:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjZYreNld-E

I just ordered their split with the pasties.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Arson Equity posted:

Whoa, I totally expected something different then I noticed Olympia. No offense, I hate that stuff, and that town sounds like it generates pretty much nothing but that.

Chronic Seizure recording new album late january, I did a video interview with them last night full of really offensive (even to myself) horrible things I will comically edit down and hopefully put on youtube within a week or so.

edit- TEAR IT UP

hahaha, it's all good dude, to each their own.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
Here's another great video from the Hail Seizures that i mentioned in my post above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCad_ZEqJ0I

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
So i was listening to my library on shuffle today (80 gigs. wayyy too much music) and i rediscovered how much i love Capitalist Casualties. Sooo good.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Xithyl posted:

I missed them when they come through Ontario, stupid me.

I've been revisiting Shai Hulud and every time I do I realize how great they are. Many people here probably aren't very much into them, but every time I go back and listen to A Profund Hatred of Man or Hearts Once Nourished With Hope and Compassion - they become one of my favourite bands all over again.

This Wake I Myself Have Stirred is a loving stellar track, and i still listen to them all the time.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

p0isonxfree posted:

How did this end up in this thread?

I was wondering this myself.

Along those lines (things that don't belong in this thread), everyone here should pick up Jerry Lee Lewis's live album At The Star Club. The passion and energy is incredible. At a number of points, he plays so fast his backing band can't keep up with him (and on one occasion he even berates them for it). It almost reminds me of old DK live stuff, where Jello is just loving frantic.

But back to stuff that belongs here:

I picked up some Mischief Brew based on recommendations here and i loving love it, especially the split with Bread and Roses (who i also love). Hearing those two bands covering IWW Labor songs is just loving awesome.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Wizard Mannequin posted:

I love Mischief Brew. Erik Petersen's a really cool guy, and he usually works in some cool covers in every set. I saw him with Johnny Hobo once and he played Fairytale of New York, it was sweet.

I want to see him live so bad. Also if he (or any other band for that matter) could lead the audience in a rousing round of Solidarity Forever, i think i could die happy right then.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
So now that i'm at home for winter break and i have my vinyls again, i feel that it's necessary to mourn 1905's passing. Goddamn, everytime i listen to Voice, I remember how incredible they were, and how much it kills me to know i missed them for an AP test the last time they played in California.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

THE LUMMOX posted:

I really like how underproduced and quiet her voice is. When the dude is screaming it just sounds like shes cooing and its awesome.

God, i love her voice. I really hope she shows up in another band someday.

Also, though I've had Voice for years, i just picked up the Amanda Woodward split earlier this year. To the best of my knowledge, that's all they've ever recorded right? Or am i missing any demos or tapes or anything?

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
Just picked up an Andrew Jackson Jihad LP today, and this poo poo rules. Thanks for the recommendation guys.

EDIT: Also, anyone going to the TBIAPB/Defiance, Ohio Shows on the 5th-8th? I'll be at all 3.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Corbet posted:

Has anyone heard of or listened to Defiance, Ohio?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defiance,_Ohio_(band)

I haven't heard any of their stuff yet but alot of people on other forums I visit have been clamoring about their latest release on vinyl.

lol, look at the few posts above yours dude.

EDIT: Also, all their stuff is available for free on their website.

DoHimJob fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Dec 24, 2007

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

p0isonxfree posted:

They are playing one in San Luis Obispo one night, the 3rd maybe? I'm not sure exactly but I'll be at that one for sure.

I'd go to that one too, make a road trip out of it with some friends or something, but i'll be skiing that day.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Backpacker posted:

make sure you check out their winter tour with white load :cool:

ughhhh, they really need to come out to the west coast sooon.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

ChaosNonMusica posted:

It's futile dude. This thread hasn't had much of anything to do with hardcore in ages.

WE CAN DREAM.

On that note, I've been rocking Career Suicide all morning.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Inspector_71 posted:

It's funny, the reason there's no hardcore discussion is because we covered it in 2 pages, and since all hardcore has to sound the same (or else it's not hardcore!) there's really no point in even bringing it up again.

Dude, all music is just the same notes in different orders. gently caress this poo poo.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Arson Equity posted:

Still Life - Slow Children at Play
Gauze - st ep
Swallowing poo poo - Love is the act of being moved into action
Nema/Warfare State - split
VA - Southeast Hardcore, gently caress Yeah (palatka, rear end in a top hat parade, end of the century party, in/humanity, etc)

Just chiming in to say that Palatka loving dominates. I'm also going on the hunt for the new Gauze this weekend.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
While we're all in a hardcore mood here, can we talk about how amazing Catharsis was? I listen to Passion probably every other day.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

DaLkO posted:

So Restrained (members of 7 Generations) and The Separation (members of Set it Straight) are fuckin awesome! Both bring on the crusty hardcore goodness. So loving heavy!

So loving good. Definitely in my top 10. But Requiem was better...

Oh poo poo, i'll check that outttt. I know Chris from 7 Generations, and he's an awesome dude, along with the rest of those guys. (Kept running into him at Native Foods, shows, etc. Haven't talked to him for a while though.)

Arson Equity posted:

A loving men on the endless blockade half of that split. Not a big MGR fan but I love Knuckle Scraper. ANS' lp The Process of Stoking Out has been out for a while but I dunno if they're still on tour, they were in Europe I think. Texas is full of killer stuff, I miss Army of Jesus and Complications tho.

Knuckle Scraper is loving amazing.

MAX- HE'S ALWAYS ON HIS poo poo
HE NEVER loving QUITS
HE'S SO loving RAD
I WISH HE WAS MY DAD

Just got back from Vena Cava/Max Levine Ensemble/TBIAPB/Defiance, Ohio show. It was orgasmic. But what really made it amazing was the fact that the venue had a gigantic RON PAUL banner over the stage. loving hilarious. People kept yelling poo poo like "GOLD STANDARD WOOO" and "(band name here) SURE ARE FLEET FOOTED." Incredible.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

mrmanatee posted:

I'm so jealous of all y'all out in california that got to see those This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb/Max Levine Ensemble/Defiance, Ohio shows. I would kill a man to see that poo poo.

Speaking of, how's the latest max levine ensemble record? I haven't heard it yet.

I picked it up at the show and it's fantastic. I haven't listened enough yet to pick out a favorite song, but i'm really really happy with the purchase. I also picked up their split with Operation: Cliff Clavin, which is totally sweet too.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

p0isonxfree posted:

Listening to Pygmy Lush for the first time right now. How the gently caress did I sleep on them for so long? They rule.

I've got that feeling. I slept on the Ergs forever, and just picked up one of their albums this week. What the gently caress. I've been dancing around my room like an idiot all day.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Mr. DNA posted:

A few days ago I heard Amoeba by the Adolescents and also Look Back and Laugh and Salad Days by Minor Threat and I realised that I really like that type of music. Can anyone offer me some recommendations, old or new?

Sorry we all missed this. These would be my recommendations, i chose to do songs instead of albums, but if you want more, just find the album the song is on:

7 Seconds- Walk Together, Rock Together
Dag Nasty- Values Here
Embrace- Money
Black Flag- Rise Above
Angry Samoans- Not Of This Earth
Descendents- (anything off Milo Goes To College)

I'm sure others have more ideas for you.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

OH gently caress. Guess who's seeing both PDX shows. Riiiiight here.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
I'm also getting stoked about Limp Wrist up in PDX on the 8th of February. Hell yes!

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

COCKISPOISON posted:

So you are going?

This year, so far, I have plans/plane tickets for:

Threat Fest in LA Feb 22nd/23rd (Mostly to see Resist & Exist one last time and hang out with my friends in Doomsday Hour. The rest of the lineup I'm not excited about at all so I'll probably skip the second day to go surfing and party. I'll probably have to wear a gasmask so as not to pass out from the smell of all the crusties)

Tour with Earth Crisis, Terror, Shai Halud, Sworn Enemy March 6th I'm hanging out in Tacoma/Olympia/Vancouver (any record shop recommendations?!) for a few days, meeting up with them there and doing the rest of the west coast with them. I'll be doing merch for someone, come say hi!

CHAOS IN TEJAS May 16th, 17th, 18th. Get ready to get buck loving wild at the boat show! I'll probably be hanging out for a bit in ATX after the fest too, but coming home in time for the Severed Head Of State/Blowback west coast tour.

Considering going to:

Burning PDX It's May 21st/22nd though and I'm thinking I will probably be too haggard from Texas to make it.

Sound and Fury Fest in July in LA for a bunch of bro-hardcore, but not sure yet.

I know it's still early, but anyone else hear of good fests coming up?

I'm taking it easy this year due to health problems, so I will not be on the road all the time. If I decide to take other offers, I'll post so people can say hi! It'll be a mini NMD goon meet, or something.

Do you have the lineup for Chaos in Tejas? I can't find it, but would consider roadtripping it out there with some friends for that if the lineup is as good as it's been in years past.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

COCKISPOISON posted:

Timmy has the working lineup posted in his myspace blog here: http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=2958230&blogID=341917092
Nothing is certain yet and there's a few surprises in the work he told me about, but I've been sworn to secrecy.

Honestly, no matter the bands, it's so loving worth the trip. I've gone for the past three years and every single time it's such a blast. One time I roadtripped with friends, one time as a roadie and I flew out with some friends last year. There's usually a pre-show every day, then the show at Emo's and then one or two aftershows (Seeing Forward and Warhead play some dude's living room at 4:45am as the sun came up after raging all night is something I will remember the rest of my life!!!) and an all-night party.

GET YOUR loving NOODLES AND YOUR MADDOGG 20/20 SLUSHIES READY!

Yeah, i'm sure i'll end up going regardless of the lineup, i've always wanted to.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Not an Anthem posted:

:d:hf::w00t:

No Parade - Ceaseless Fire

This is one of my favorite albums. Every single song is amazing. But relatively few people i talk to have heard it. They're missing the gently caress out.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Grigori Rasputin posted:

I just scored a bunch of free poo poo from a friend who decided to give away all of her records (WHY?????).

Stuff I scored
Anti-Product
His Hero is Gone
Black Market Clash
Sutek Conspiracy
Iron Maiden
The Awakening
...and some other stuff I can't recall.

My friend got first dibs and managed to snag a Spectacle 10", Jawbreaker's Dear You and the 1905 Voice LP.

Speaking of 1905, does anyone know where I can find that LP? There were 1000 pressed a few years ago and I'm trying to dig them up.

If you live in Baltimore, or someone you know does, have them go down to Reptilian Records. Last time I was in there they had like 6 or 7 copies of Voice.

And oh my god, it's even more amazing on wax. :3:

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Not an Anthem posted:

Late Fees, where did you hear it? The Baron pretty much swore off ever working with them again, let alone with/for the punk or hardcore scene. Inside Front or some zine did an interview with him almost a decade ago where he said just the same, unless sales of the represses made his eyes bulge which I doubt.

gently caress you, don't poo poo on my dream. :(

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
I've been away a few days, but just saw the dudefest lineup. Holy poo poo, i need to figure out how to get out there without going broke.

quote:

Sorry, I just really don't like Leftover Crack/Citizen Fish.

Read the book American Hardcore and you will find out about a lot of amazing bands.

Pfffft, them co-headlining this fall was one of the best shows i've ever been to. :colbert:

DoHimJob fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 5, 2008

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
Oh man, Tragedy house show in PDX this Friday. Best way to start a spring break ever!

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Charleston Jew posted:

More pop punk goodness recommendations: The Broadways, and Latterman.

Oh god, Latterman. :swoon:

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
April is a loving banner month for concerts if any of you assholes are in portland.

April 1: Streetlight Manifesto with Dan Potthast
April 3: Shook Ones
April 4: Subhumans
April 11: Bouncing Souls/Dead to Me
April 12: Behemoth
April 16: Converge/ Genghis Tron
April 17: Extreme Noise Terror/ Hellshock
Also April 17: Tragedy
April 19: Wingnut Dishwashers Union

And this is just what's been announced so far. Oh man.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Capitan Dad posted:

UK Subhumans or Canadian Subhumans.

UK.

Cowboy Kyle posted:

How is Tiger Army in concert? I am going to try to see them live in Vancouver, Canada on April 28th.

I saw em a few times before they put out III, and they were fantastic. But the new album blows, and they've had a ton of personnel changes, so i'm not sure how they'll be.

DoHimJob fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 27, 2008

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Rogetz posted:

Complete with drunk kids shouting for him to play his old songs and then getting pissed when he doesn't.

Fill me in here. Does he just not like playing Johnny Hobo stuff anymore? I don't know very much about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Grigori Rasputin posted:

whoops... at the gates. i'm always getting my 3 word metal/crusty hardcore bands mixed up. sorry about the excitement... i'd prefer the reality i originally posted about.

Oh you heartless bastard. I nearly pissed myself. :(