Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
So new Dead to Me leaked/is streaming. The first listen didn't blow me away like Cuban Ballerina did. But after a couple of listens, it's grown on me like crazy. I still miss Jack, but after i got over his absence, I think they're moving in a really good direction with this album. Any other opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Dickeye posted:

They were anyway

And, the thread on the KnockKnock board about the test pressings, posted by Adam from It's Alive

e: I'm just waiting for fuckin' Grath to mail my copy

So dude, do you know Grath?

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

gerfatty posted:

I don't know man, I think he does. I'm impressed. Are you guys impressed? Because I am.

Dude i think he knows Grath.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

A5H posted:

Yeah. It's not brilliant.

Not only is it not brilliant, it kinda blows. Sorry dude.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

baberaham lincoln posted:

No one in the rec thread wants to help me out... I need Oi. Specifically earlier, pop-y Oi. Like Blitz/Cock Sparrer/The Business Oi. I like The 4-Skins, but they are a bit too aggressive, I'm looking more for the up-tempo Voice of A Generation kind of stuff.

Try Criminal Damage from Portland.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
Godddddamn Marked Men reunion. Yesssssss.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Phillyt posted:

Discharge is playing Warped Tour dates in California...............

What the poo poo?

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

ASSASSINS! posted:

I need to get around to making up a trade list, but if anyone happens to have any Born Dead Icons records they want to get rid off i'll take them off your hands.

I've got Ruins i'd be willing to part with. I'd much rather trade than sell, so let me know when you've got a list up.

EDIT: Actually I haven't done a trade in forever. I'll get my full list up tonight.

DoHimJob fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 3, 2010

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
Here's mine. I've got about 20-30 more records to update, but it's mostly there.

http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/RTTH

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

ASSASSINS! posted:

Oh good, that's the one i want the most. here's my list, i should have the LPs up by tomorrow. http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/SamIsTheBastard

You willing to part with that Amanda Woodward/1905 split?

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

rivals posted:

Want to part with that Gather 7"? :)

Not particularly. Sorry dude.

ASSASSINS! posted:

totally. shoot me a message over deadformat.

Yesssss, done.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

rivals posted:

No worries, wasn't particularly expecting you to.

I miss them. I especially miss seeing them and 7 Generations together. Those were fun shows. Especially the one where Greg from trial got up on stage and sang Reflections. <333

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

darkcaps posted:

Looks like hardcore is going in a new direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQVpITyOdc8#t=2m45s

You're pretty late on that dude. The forums (and the rest of the internet) have been making fun of this video for months.

Incidentally, i added about 40 new records to my list. http://www.deadformat.net/tradelist/RTTH

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

They are way better than Trash Talks though. And Dangers while were talking about terrible lyrics.

Gerfatty and I were just talking about this today. I just got my hands on Messy, Isn't It? and while it rocks, I'm not looking forward to reading the lyrics, because i know they're gonna make me cringe.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Dickeye posted:

Nothing is better than the Steinways. Nothing. You shut your goddamn whore mouth.

Haaaaaaa.

So i've been playing the new Captain, We're Sinking EP pretty much continuously for days now. it's loving awesome, and you should all check it out, especially if you're a Menzingers fan.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Quantumfate posted:

Give me some songs to youtube I might like then, seriously I'd be interested in knowing where to start. Although I guess if the Steinways sound like the ergs I might not care for them.

One of the things about punk though, is that with all the DIY attitudes, there are a plethora of bands that aren't heard of, also get any success and you become a sell-out. So there's always stuff people might not have heard about. That being said, if anyone has any other recommendations for me I'd love to hear about it. For instance, choking victim is a great band in my opinion, they're a bit hardcore, and absolutely have some ska influences, but I think they're pretty great and worth checking out. They've only produced one album though.

Check them out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIOsw2wK4os

If you like choking victim:
Leftover Crack (the band they formed after Choking Victim split)
Morning Glory (another CV related band)
INDK (yet another CV related band)
Stockyard Stoics
Star loving Hipsters (YET another CV band)
Citizen Fish

EDIT:

quote:

Dillinger Four- Midwestern songs of the Americas: Both of these are okay, and I kind of like them
Dillinger Four- Situationist comedy

This is unacceptable. Listen to these albums until you love them.

DoHimJob fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 14, 2010

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Dickeye posted:

Lighting the gerfatty signal

Apparently Chris Grivet, formerly of the Steinways, made a sampler of punk bands that he liked, and he was such a dipshit about it that Grath and Chadd Derkins made a parody version where they cover all of the songs on Grivet's sampler

It is the best thing and the worst thing at the same time

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1089694/chadd%20and%20grath%20funtime%20company%20fixed.zip

highlights include Fruitmarket Fantasy, Extra Medium, and Blank Ammunition

e: and the original

Baaahahahahaha. <3

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Kim Jong-Chill posted:

cross post

What the poo poo?

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Dickeye posted:

Lighting the Gerfatty/Paper Triangles signal, new House Boat EP comes out this...May? I think? on Traffic Street, and it'll be up for download on amazon and itunes and all that poo poo too

Cover art:

YESSSSSSSS

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
The new Menzingers just leaked. I'm about half way through and it's goddamn amazing.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Kalit posted:

This was probably one of the most surprising shows that I've been to. I just expected to like Lemuria and The Queers, but I ended up loving everyone but Andrew Jackson Jihad. Also I just found out Lemuria is going on tour again, I haven't seen them since that show.

And I need to remember to pick up the new BTMI record here sometime...

Also, I really wish Martyr AD would do a reunion show or something, I've been listening to them way too much lately.

edit:

Paint It Black, Dan Yemin's in the band. Also, does anyone know if Lifetime are still together?

Everyone but AJJ? You should give them another listen dude, you're missing out on a crucial band.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I don't know, I'm not sure AJJ qualifies as a 'crucial band'. It's definitely something that took me while to get into.

However, if you're only basing their stuff on how it sounds live, you should probably take time to listen to at least listen to People who Eat People...

I feel like they've informed a good deal of music in the scene recently, but that may just be me. I'd also say that Can't Maintain might be a better intro, since it's got more electric stuff to draw PUNX in. Dunno, just a thought.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Rooney McNibnug posted:

To be honest, I've actually never heard Can't Maintain. Hahaha. When did that one get released?

Like september or october 2009? Something like that.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

mind eraser posted:

Soo roll call for Chaos In Tejas 2010...who is going?

I'll be there all four days. Most of the shows have sold out online, so if you're going you better get your tickets now from someone.

I'm mostly excited for Bastard (DUH), Rorschach, Bastard Noise, and loving Poison Idea.

Anyone know if Poison Idea is good live these days? I know their line up is far from original, I'm hoping for the best.

RIP Pig Champion. :(

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

aniero posted:

So this past Saturday was 'Record store day' in a town I live near so naturally I had to poke around for a bit.

I found a OP copy of the Chumbawamba/State of Mind split. Agit pop records 2. Really a fantastic piece of early peace punk. It has like super early versions of Isolation and Invasion, arguably two of the best songs off the 'Pictures' LP.

A State of Mind loving rips! Anyone know anything about them? They were apparently from San Fransisco, but I can't seem to find out much more then that.

And only $3! gently caress!

I hate you. :(

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

TerranRaida posted:

Chumbawamba was beast, and made some awesome songs, and then they transformed into that "Tub thumping" thing...

and over in richmond, VA - there is/was an event called "Save Plan 9(a local record store)" and i picked up The Subhumans EP-LP for 5 bucks.

Then they transformed into a top notch folk act. No harm done.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
So is there video of this disastrous PI set or anything?

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

DoHimJob fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 22, 2018

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Dickeye posted:

Disregard this, people on the PPMB suck cocks

I got bummed and then un-bummed in record time.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL
So I dunno if it really fits here, but i just grabbed the Bars of Gold album, and holy poo poo. Close to album of the year, and definitely the best debut of the year. I really really encourage everyone to give it a listen.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Vegastar posted:

Do you like birds? Do you like real real big birds? Do you like great big bir-er-erds? That's the biggest bird I've ever seen! Or is that a bird? Or just a real real big man? Just a great big ma-ah-an?

I do not know what drugs they were on. I do love it.

Seriously, it's loving WEIRD. But super super excellent.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Philip Rivers posted:

Man, I love the feeling of finding something on my iPod that I haven't listened to in ages and is also really good. I completely forgot about Defeater, but randomly stumbled across them in my library today. Also, apparently, they have a new album dropping this coming Tuesday, so hurray me!

Kind of on that note, i just pulled out the first two AFI LPs. Regardless of what you think of em now, those first two albums are super good.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

rivals posted:

Everything up to and including The Art Of Drowning was super good :colbert:

Troof.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Triangulum posted:

Nico de Gallo left Star loving Hipsters :(

loving BOO

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Quantumfate posted:

It took some convincing on my end, but lately I've been on a folk punk bender. Captain Bratch and the Red Beards, Naive Fighters, The Anarchist Pizza Society, Apples to Apples, Mistake Makers. They are all soooo good. Where should I go now? Don't say mischief brew. :v:

Blackbird Raum, Hail Seizures, Dandelion Junk Queens, Bread and Roses, Rosa, The loving Buckaroos, Wingnut Dishwasher's Union, Mutiny, This Bike is a Pipe Bomb.

Those are all over the folk punk spectrum, so i'm sure some will work for you, assuming you don't already know them all.

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Ferrule posted:

Sass Dragons back together. Just so ya know.

gently caress

YES

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

lifeloveregret posted:

I used to play bass on the first couple of west coast tours. Deadhead is hard to do because 4/5 of us are touring with TA constantly, but we are gonna have a show in LA coming up with our drummer's other band DNF.

I know this is from a way back, but HOLY poo poo WHEN/WHERE IS THIS SHOW? DNF!

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

Killsion posted:

I don't really think bowmore would benefit from them though. Such albums are not indicative of what punk, hardcore, or emo really sounds like.

Anyway, here is my list.

Malignus Youth - Missa Brevis
Muga - Muga
1905 - Voice
Crass - The Feeding of the 5000
Discharge - Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing

You can't really consider yourself a punk or hardcore fan if you haven't heard those Crass or Discharge albums and if anyone hasn't heard Missa Brevis then you really should. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF9UVqL9xk4

1905- Voice is probably my favorite album of all time, and I can't recommend it enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoHimJob
Nov 30, 2005

GIANT SPACEBALL

omg car crash posted:

This year's This Is Hardcore lineup in Philadelphia. I am, of course, very excited, but I would lying if I said this was better than last year's.

Hard Skin is clearly the most exciting part of that lineup. :colbert: