Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

baberaham lincoln posted:

taylor swift already did this.
and it was awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
pretty sure jesse has always been up on moz's dick

back when he used to rock the pompadour he could almost pass for a young morrissey if you weren't really paying attention

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
you really shouldn't bother making an anticop comp if you don't use "Dead Cops/America's So Straight" by MDC

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
basically it's a thread where we talk about the burnout 3 soundtrack

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Hi folks.

Don't know if I should really be here or not but just like AA I guess I have to admit I have a problem if I'm going to get help right?

Ok here goes.

I kinda like The Black Parade and A Fever You Can't Sweat Out. :(
Hey, I spent a bunch of posts defending Fall Out Boy in the thread about the Weezer album "Raditude" last year. Everyone has their secret shame.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Dickeye posted:

Take This To Your Grave was a fairly solid piece of pop-punk, sorry to break it to you
Yeah but in addition to Take This To Your Grave I sort of really like everything else they've done because I'm a huge human being.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
because Suffer owns

also New Maps of Hell came out three years ago, it's not exactly "so soon" after

Moe_Rahn fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 27, 2010

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
right now for me the new BR has settled at "good tier", next to Stranger Than Fiction and Into The Unknown

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
greg graffin wrote and recorded the song "i love my computer" and thought it was good enough to put on a record and actually put it on a record that was released and people bought it

greg graffin is goony as gently caress and is probably reading this thread right now

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
it's better than anyone will ever give it credit for, but at the core it's still a bunch of 17-year-olds trying to be pink floyd

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
if you thought i was kidding with the pink floyd thing, listen to "the dichotomy" and then the middle part of "pigs (3 different ones)

exact same song

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also at one point Brian Baker lit up a cigarette on stage and my first thought was, "welp, I guess he's not 15 any more."
Baker did an interview with Mark Prindle a few years ago where he goes a little into his own perspective on being straight-edge as a kid:

quote:

I was in Minor Threat and I don't recall actually trying to start some sort of sober militia. The reason I didn't drink or take drugs is because I was 15 when I joined the band and I didn't hate my parents. So when they told me not to smoke pot, I didn't, and when they went out of town, I didn't raid their liquor cabinet because I respected my parents and I didn't like the way liquor tasted. That was me being straight edge.
And when you want to analyze the "straight edge" concept, it's really not a bad idea for teenagers to not be drinking and doing drugs and having promiscious sex. Not in the sense of denying them pleasure, but if you're living at home - and I'll use me as a great example: I'm living at home, I get to go out and play at a nightclub on a weekday when I'm in high school, because my mother knows I'm not out shootin' up!
By the time all these third-wave straight edge bands came into existence, where they added 'vegan' to the list, which I really wasn't aware that that was on the checklist -- by then, I was drunk in a cowboy hat; I didn't really give a poo poo.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
god willing we can get some more incredibly out of place trumpet solos

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I think my thoughts when I first heard it were along the lines of, "This has no clear reason for existing, since when they play it live it's probably just going to be done on a guitar anyways."

also I'm slightly sad that Ben Weasel discussion is over and I missed a chance to claim that "you just hate him 'cause he don't have to work" (even though he is for real a total shitlord)

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Dickeye posted:

Social is seriously one of the best pop-punk songs ever, mostly because of that loving bass line.
I had to go and re-listen to that song and now I want to watch Mallrats again.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Inspector_71 posted:

EDIT: So the new BTMI! album got me interested in their older stuff and the 1-2 punch of "Congratulations, John, on Joining Every Time I Die" and "Showerbeer" on To Leave Or Die In Long Island makes me super happy. "Congratulations, John..." is just hilarious.
TLODILI firmly occupies a spot in my second tier of BTMI releases. I love everything on it, it's just too drat short (of course, Adults! is even shorter, and I would rank it above TLODILI, but whatever).

because everyone wants to know what these tiers are (nobody wants to know what these tiers are):

I - Scrambles, Adults!, Vacation
II - To Leave Or Die In Long Island, Goodbye Cool World
III - Get Warmer, Album Minus Band

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

quote:

The group actually started in 1976 with frontman Keith Morris, but he quit just three years later and after flailing around for a bit with inadequate singers they hired Rollins, who was a 20-year-old fan of the band.
ron reyes and dez cadena were not inadequate :colbert:

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I strongly dis-recommend the new Misfits album to everyone. I mean, Jerry Only sucks at writing songs, and he sucks at singing, so I'm not sure why I might have expected an album wherein he does a preponderance of both to not suck. The Devil's Rain performs a rare feat, being a record which both sucks and blows. It's painfully boring, everything blends together into an unmemorable, overlong, vaguely Misfits-y sounding pile of crap.

This album will make you pine for the singing talents of Michale Graves. I would rather listen to the middle four tracks of Famous Monsters (previously, the worst poo poo the Misfits ever recorded) on loop for an hour than hear this record again. This album will make you want to kill yourself when you realize that the man responsible for it had a hand, however minor, in three of the greatest hardcore records of all time. I would rather listen to the loving Kryst The Conqueror record than hear this record again.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

answersyouseek posted:

Why would you listen to a new Misfits record? Why would anyone? You must have a problem with masochism in a bad way.
I was clicking through new releases on Spotify, and I saw that it was out, and I have a history of poor life choices.

LtTennisBall posted:

he's referring to the Misfits three original albums (Static Age, Walk Among Us, Earth A.D./Wolf's Blood) I guess.
correctamundo

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Hellwuzzat posted:

That was my first thought. My second was that Jerry did some super cool non-Misfits stuff that I'd never even heard of :ohdear:. So, yeah. Thanks for clearing that up.
I mean, there was the Kryst The Conqueror record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9jPWgFNg3M

but I don't think anyone's ever described it as "super cool".

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Mikerthan posted:

Any of you Propagandhi fans should be sure to watch this video they put on their Facebook page. They get better with age. New album is going to be a beast.
Less Talk, More Rock is one of my favorite punk albums of the '90s or ever, Supporting Caste is like right behind that as far as Propagandhi albums go, the new one is going to be loving great.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

JBRONSON posted:

cant do it man. i cant do pop punk.
never have and i probably never will unless something super badass comes along.
what is the greatest pop punk album?
i will download and listen.
its kind of like a challenge haha
personal top 10 off the top of my head, no particular order:

Descendents - Milo Goes To College
The Ergs - Upstairs/Downstairs
Jawbreaker - Dear You
Millencolin - Pennybridge Pioneers
J Church - One Mississippi
Dillinger Four - Versus God
The Queers - Don't Back Down
Fall Out Boy - Take This To Your Grave
Samiam - Astray
The Vandals - Live Fast, Diarrhea

i guess there's a whole lot of poo poo that you can put under the umbrella of pop-punk

some other idiot will come along later and post something completely different

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
here's the thing: Jawbreaker owns, Dear You owns, yeah it was a stretch but whatevs; if I hadn't put that I would have listed some Broadway Calls or Sugarcult record instead, and while I like those bands, I don't like them nearly as much as Jawbreaker

also it just warms the cockles of my heart that the one band everyone can agree on is the Ergs

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

RandomCheese posted:

I've always been a bit unclear on the specific criterion for pop-punk, what exactly is it that affixes the pop prefix to the genre? Is it the lyrical content ie singing about girls/turning older/scooters as opposed to something with a more societal/political lean, or is it simply that slightly-more radio-friendly sound? Is it even the ethic behind the releases like distributing on cd/itunes is pop-punk whereas providing a 7th generation dubbed cassette tape recorded in a service station bathroom is the real OG punk?
pop-punk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbQ36s5sLLs

not pop-punk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ4tInRiZgE

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
new Propagandhi album is streaming in its entirety on their Facebook page

big surprise, it absolutely loving kills

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
My one sentence review is that it's Stranger Than Fiction crossed with Process of Belief but everyone's twenty years older.

It's not awful but it's like the twelfth best Bad Religion album.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love Stranger than Fiction, so maybe this one's for me. My friends a huge fan of them, and he seems overall pretty happy after listening for a few days. I think he even likes that weird prog album they did, mind.
I will stan for Into the Unknown (for the record, the ninth-best Bad Religion album) until the death of me.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Drastic Actions posted:

For what it's worth, I just charted it out for myself and ended up put it at the same spot.

Time and Disregard is pretty bad though.

edit: wow, I totally forgot about Christmas Songs. That's for the best.
I actually leave it off when I rank their albums, same as the live ones and comps. I do think with any band that has as extensive a discography as Bad Religion, ranking the middle and lower tier albums is where you get a sense of people's tastes; especially with BR, where more or less everyone has the same top three.

T-1. Suffer
T-1. No Control
T-1. Against the Grain
4. Generator
5. New Maps of Hell
6. The Empire Strikes First
6.5. How Could Hell Be Any Worse? (reissue; fka 80-85)
7. The Gray Race
8. The Dissent of Man
9. Into the Unknown
10. Recipe for Hate
11. How Could Hell Be Any Worse? (original version)
T-12. Age of Unreason
T-12. Process of Belief
T-12. Stranger Than Fiction
15. No Substance
16. True North
17. The New America

FIGHT ME

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

scumby posted:

you aren't going to trick me into listening to Into the Unknown again by ranking it in the middle of their albums.
I went back and listened to True North a couple days ago because I was wondering if the reason I ranked it so low was just because I haven't spent much time with it, and nope, it's because of lyrics like, "here's the church/here's the steeple/open up the door/corporations are people/what the gently caress did he say" combined with music that actually wouldn't sound out of place next to their '80s output. I'd rather listen to an album of stoned twenty-year-old punks trying their goshdarndest to be fifty-year-old prog dorks than a band of fifty-year-olds that's trying too hard to sound twenty again.

For the record, I also like Beneath the Shadows more than Dance With Me, so maybe I'm just a sucker for proggy second albums by California punk bands.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

No I know, they just should've disbanded years ago (after Neighborhoods, which is the last thing of theirs I enjoyed)
California was the best Alkaline Trio album in at least a decade.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Monday_ posted:

This last page is very confusing, what with these incorrect opinions on the Lawrence Arms and recent Alkaline Trio albums.
I haven't actually heard the newest Alk3 yet, how is it? Good Mourning was incredible, but my opinions on the three after that ranged from "pretty good" to "eh, this is some Alkaline Trio music, I guess".

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I slept on Larry Arms for way too long (until like, last year, which is downright shameful), but the song where everything finally clicked for me was "The Slowest Drink at the Saddest Bar on the Snowiest Day in the Greatest City."

Something about hearing that particular song triggered the weird part of my brain that contains all the songs that mentally transport me back to very specific times and places of my life and all of a sudden I'm 23 again and it's the middle of winter and I'm sitting in my lovely wood-paneled apartment above someone else's garage tying plastic shopping bags over my lovely boots that I should have replaced a year ago so that I can walk down to the gas station and pay exact change for a bottle of Thunderbird to hold me over until the late afternoon when it's slightly more socially acceptable to head downtown to drink at the one decent bar with the townies and the students that haven't left for the holidays.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I'm A Huge Fan Of Bad Religion

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
It's the same thing as with the Punisher skull, because irony is a dead scene.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Well, now I'm okay that my wife didn't let me name our first child after Stza. nobody post anything negative about Ezra Kire please

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
The Failed States remaster came out in February and it still rips as hard as it did seven years ago.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
It kind of understandably got overshadowed by Andy Gill and I don't know how much this thread fucks with crossover thrash, but Josh Pappe, former bassist of DRI and Gang Green, died a couple days ago. I have a soft spot for DRI's late '80s albums because they were a jumping-off point that I used to get my college metalhead friends into punk.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Apparently the term for that sort of cargo-cult, NYHC-worship stuff is "heavy hardcore"? That's dumb as poo poo.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Bust Rodd posted:

It's like hardcore, but even harder, with a lot more core

Phlegmish posted:

I don't know if this is in reference to anything, but I've also heard 'beatdown hardcore', which sounds even dumber
In my head, it's all "New York Hardcore", but in a way that doesn't necessarily reference a particular origin, like Texas toast. Like, Deez Nuts, they're from Australia, but they play NYHC, you know? Or Ryker's is from Germany, but they still play NYHC.

Iunno, what's a non-stupid name for a subgenre where the song is like 70% breakdowns while a muscly white guy yells about brotherhood (unfortunately not always in a non-racist way).

Moe_Rahn fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Decemberunderground is the logical endpoint of the gothy-electronic direction they started in when Jade Puget joined.