Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
1666 posts seems as good a place as any to restart the bloated LAST THREAD.

To start things off: everybody tell about the awesome halloween shows you got to go to.

Everybody who went to the Fest keep talking about it so I keep peeing my pants with envy.

After having Screeching Weasel's self-titled album for a while and still loving it, what album should I get next?

Yay, Dirt Cult Fest with Ghost Mice and the Dauntless Elite on Saturday.

Let's get the name-calling and hateful debates rolling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

Biscuit Hammer posted:

I hope your Ghost Mice experience is better than mine. At The Fest on Sunday they refused to use the mics/amps and I couldn't hear any insturmentation, or the girl's voice. Just the dude's voice. It was sorta lame.

Ah, that sucks. They're pretty staunch on their anti-amp stance. It's not really an issue outside of the fest, though. They've pretty much peaked as far as new listeners go, I think. And the last time I saw them (in Austin, not exactly a town devoid of their fanbase [filthy hippies]) they sounded A-Okay.

I'm really excited. I have barely listened to their music since then, but you can't deny the power of those singalongs.

FREE PIZZA FOR LIFE!

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
I got a new copy of Soophie Nun Squad's The Devil, The Metal, The Big Booty Beats recently. What a ridiculous and awesome album. Still bummed I never got to see them.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

mind eraser posted:

Nice, I was at this show! Ghost Mice was great. I don't have a problem with the way they play their shows, it makes it that much more intimate. Plus they played my requests! I love small shows like this, so much more personalized.

Aw man, I actually missed it. Turns out the drive down is more like 4 hours, and our driver wasn't up for it. Didn't go see the Lawrence Arms either, unfortunately. On the plus side, apparently Ghost Mice are coming back around to albuquerque on the 8th. And of course it's on the same night as MDC/Citizen Fish. I don't know why they keep scheduling these things like they do, but I'm not entirely sure I mind since there's no way I can afford to go see MDC/CF anyhow.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
So you know what band is really amazing that I just got into?

Fall of Efrafa.

Really epic doom/crust/post rock, all based on Watership Down. Beautiful, beautiful songs. They apparently just came out with new stuff that I haven't heard yet, but I'm looking forward to it. Check this band out.

EDIT: also, beautiful artwork.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

Slut Muffin posted:

Whoa, whoa, Paul Baribeau and Ghost Mice have a split? Why am I not aware of this? Or are you thinking of the Andrew Jackson Jihad/Ghost Mice split?

I really love Paul's cover of Good Life off it. Then again Good Life is just a really great song.

Speaking of which...
I saw Ghost Mice tonight. Chris's voice went out and I ended up having to sing half their songs because nobody else in the audience knew them. And then their equipment kept breaking... so they brought out Paul Baribeau. Definitely the best surprise a boy could get. He played about 5 songs, and then another because nobody would let him leave. I cried a bit when he played Boys Like Me. I think I was the only person who'd heard him before then, but everybody I talked to fell in love with him. He is amazingly energetic. Makes singing about christmas cookie kisses punx as gently caress.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/12/arts/music/12musi.html?_r=3&ref=arts&oref=slogin&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Arson Equity, I think your keys got mentioned in the New York Times.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

RunTo TheHills posted:

Sup dudes, list me some good Folk Punk bands.
I already listen to TBIAPB, Defiance Ohio, Young Pioneers, Ghost Mice, maybe a few others i can't remember right now.

Basically the whole Plan-It-X catalogue is good for this... except most of it is actually pop punk. But in general it's not a very well-defined genre. Aside from what's already been mentioned, Mark Leonard and Wingnut Dishwashers Union are good.

On a related note: I really like all things Spoonboy; both his solo album and the Max Levine Ensemble are excellent.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

Agent Bob posted:

Does anyone hear like Dry-Rot? Saw them this summer. loving crazy hardcore band. The vocalist poured bleach on himself during their song "Bleach" (or it might be Bleached...my EP is at my friends house...) Both of the albums that I have by them (Subordinate and Permission) are solid.

http://www.myspace.com/coldvomit

Their songs on this myspace are the two below the first.

I dunno about the band but that is a pretty sweet mural on the wall.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
I'm so jealous of all y'all out in california that got to see those This Bike Is a Pipe Bomb/Max Levine Ensemble/Defiance, Ohio shows. I would kill a man to see that poo poo.

Speaking of, how's the latest max levine ensemble record? I haven't heard it yet.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

COCKISPOISON posted:

Goddamn, you love AT. I still don't get it, but maybe I'm just spoiled.

What's this I hear about CLIT Fest not being total bullshit this year? I heard a little rumor that one of my favorite Chicago ladies is organizing it and workin' some magic?

GOON MEET AT CHAOS IN TEJAS!

Edited to say: I don't know if it's going on this year, but the Reno Brodeo is not to be missed!

gently caress yeah, I'm down. I'll be home for Chaos in Tejas this year! Now I just have to make myself go to all three days.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

Not an Anthem posted:

We slept on the roof of Whole Foods main headquarters the last day we were there, not too shabby if you have warm clothes. Either way I'll see you jerks down by the poo filled river to play slap-a-turtle.

Hey, I've slept on that playground too!

Sleeping outside is a good plan, though. You won't even need warm clothes; it's May in Texas. Chances of rain are pretty slim too. There's parks, rooftops, Whole Foods, the homebum bridge if you're in that sorta mood... it's pretty easy to find a spot.

And Arson Equity, keep your hands off my turtles.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

DaLkO posted:

Oh gently caress, seeing Limp Wrist for the first time tomorrow.

Pack your thong!

PS: I'm super excited about seeing the Dicks again at SXSW. They're playing with the Slits and This Bike is a Pipe Bomb. Kinda a weird lineup. It's gonna rule.

Also at SXSW, hosed Up is opening for... The Breeders? Weird.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
I am sad that Modern Life is War broke up. I haven't heard their first album, but Witness is one of my favorite albums, and I liked Midnight in America. And when I saw them (albeit it was with lovely bands: He Is Legend and such) they were loving amazing.

Kimya Dawson is playing at the Independent Spirit Awards at 10 EST on IFC tonight. Not particularly exciting in and of itself but she's doing Tire Swing and Matty Pop Chart & Paul Baribeau are coming to do their backup vocals. It was weird enough hearing them get namedropped in Juno; actually seeing them on cable tv is going to be ever so bizarre.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

Capitan Dad posted:

Okay I was wondering: This thread's tag automatically makes you go "because of TV Party" right. I had assumed this for a long time was wondering if everyone was on the same page.

That was the idea, yeah. And because there's no appropriate tag and it makes it easy to find.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
I post on the PIX boards. It's a circlejerk, but it's a circlejerk I've grown accustomed to over the past couple years.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
As far as female fronted with weirder instruments, why hasn't anybody mentioned the Epoxies? Keytars and Roxy Epoxie. You can't go wrong!

This is my Fist! is playing Mauled by Tigers fest, so they're not completely broken up at least. Fantastic band, too.

Abe Froman is fronted by Erin Tobey of Plan-it-X fame and is really good.
The Conversions from... Boston I think are some pretty sweet girl-fronted hardcore.
Discount is pretty good.
The Door-Keys are great, although they're not exactly punk, just very heavily punk influenced and on PIX.
I guess people already mentioned I Object! and Witch Hunt and 1905 but they're all fantastic.
And I dunno if Lemuria got brought up, but... gently caress, they're really good.
If Melt Banana counts, them too.
Signal Lost is good, sorta dark street punkish stuff. Think Vice Squad.
The Soviettes are awesome female-fronted pop-punk.
I think that's a large portion of the girl-fronted punk rock I have.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
Ooooh! I haven't heard them in a while and I need to get some of their stuff, but Submission Hold, as I recall, is pretty great.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook
I saw that show in Philly but it wasn't that great. Then again I'm not really into either band that much.

Speaking of, how can I become informed of shows in Philly? I'm used to Austin where I can go to one website for every show ever.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

Your Weird Uncle posted:

I went to this show, moshed during magrudergrind and then went to the hospital haha.

I did this too, sans hospital. That was the biggest punk show I've ever been to. Also the night before that, Joe Jack Talcum in a basement. Seeing people get that pumped for a tiny man playing Punk Rock Girl was pretty wacky.

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

Wizard Mannequin posted:

Sweet, the Dead Milkmen are playing a show in Philly the 26th. Even though they're all old and poo poo now it should still be cool to see em.

Joe Jack still plays local shows though, and does a drat good job of it too. Expect good things maybe!

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

zeldadude posted:

everyone liked Linkin Park

this has never ever been true

edit: powerviolence died in late 1973

edit2: why is pix a poo poo label?

mrmanatee fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 26, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmanatee
Jun 22, 2006

Positive outlook

Not an Anthem posted:

They want to be a cheap accessible label? Then sell your releases cheap.

They sell everything for $5.

And yeah I don't think PIX has any real association with crusty hobos aside from said hobos liking folk punk a lot, and stuff like Plan-it-X fest being friendly towards them. And their association with Johnny Hobo, I guess.