Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Zedlic posted:

Is anyone else embarrassed for liking black metal? I constantly have to "soften" my taste of music for people that don't have the slightest interest in metal of any kind.

I have two playlists on my iPod; one is solely for when I have other people in my car. I wear headphones if I play music at work.

quote:

If you like NSBM, but hate the nazi's (like me), then give Nokturnal Mortum a try if you haven't already. You won't be able to understand what they're saying unless you speak Ukrainian anyways.

I'll second this recommendation. I'm not a racist and I'm not big on NSBM, but I do listen to Nokturnal Mortum. Lunar Poetry is an amazing release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Zedlic posted:

Is anyone else embarrassed for liking black metal? I constantly have to "soften" my taste of music for people that don't have the slightest interest in metal of any kind. I've had too many "Do you really listen to this noise/screaming" questions, so I just try to steer the conversation some other way.

I even wrote an article on Mayhem in the newspaper a few weeks ago, and when my coworkers were asking me afterwards if I listened to these "maniacs" I said "Oh no, I don't," and laughed.

I do. All the time.

I've pretty much had to deny how much I like Mayhem to just about everyone who knows the rudiments of the Dead/Euro/Varg story. I don't care for Maniac (FWEEEEZING?!) but Attila's vocals are brilliant and disregarding all past controversy they make some drat good music.

I tried explaining the Mayhem story to my dad and he seemed to appreciate that I wasn't justifying what had happened, that I was just enjoying the music, and he seems to get it, but he doesn't understand how I can listen to "that screaming crap" all the time.

My mother doesn't think I should wear my "scary metal shirts" in public. She's afraid people will get the wrong idea about me.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I'm surprised, and disappointed, so many of you give a poo poo what others think about your musical tastes.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Yes, you all care entirely too much.

In related news, I present to you "Great Moments in Alphabetically Arranged Playlists, Part One"

gently caress yeah

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Morbid Florist posted:

I'm surprised, and disappointed, so many of you give a poo poo what others think about your musical tastes.

I wear band shirts sometimes, so it's not like nobody knows I'm into metal, and most of the people close to me all know what kind of music I like. Even some of my professors know, especially the ones within my major because we talk so much, and I even got one to listen to a Korpiklaani song.

Hell, my best friend bought Sons of Northern Darkness for my birthday last year and she doesn't even listen to metal.

There are just certain people who don't need to know. Personally, I don't want my dear 82-year-old Catholic grandmother having a heart attack because she thinks her beloved grandson has been corrupted by Satan, and I don't want a prospective employer thinking I'm insane and/or violent. While I know it's not right to judge someone based on musical preferences, and I really don't give a poo poo about what people think, there are certain people who don't need to know that I listen to a band with a vocalist who tosses pig heads into the audience, or a band with a bassist that once set a church on fire, or a band with a vocalist who was accused of beating someone up and threatening to drink their blood.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

beat the bad guys and make 'em sigh
Johnny Cage is not afraid to die

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I just wanted to say thanks for recommending Wolves in The Throne Room.

I got Diadem of 12 stars and it was loving amazing, and I just got Two Hunters and its even better.

I absolutely love these 2 albums (and sworn is just as good) thank you!!!

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

Has anyone heard Blodsrit? I have their 2006 release (The Well of Light has Finally Dried) and it's a really nice release. I would recommend it to anybody.

Also, Walknut is really good when it comes to Atmospheric BM, they have some really great stuff. The song on their myspace is brilliant in my opinion. http://www.myspace.com/walknutband

Necro Beer
Dec 25, 2006
So good, its deadly!

Zedlic posted:

Is anyone else embarrassed for liking black metal? I constantly have to "soften" my taste of music for people that don't have the slightest interest in metal of any kind. I've had too many "Do you really listen to this noise/screaming" questions, so I just try to steer the conversation some other way.

I even wrote an article on Mayhem in the newspaper a few weeks ago, and when my coworkers were asking me afterwards if I listened to these "maniacs" I said "Oh no, I don't," and laughed.

I do. All the time.

I hardly see how having an interest in obscure music is anything to be ashamed of. I bet you guys who listen to Ethiopian Blues or Hardcore German trance don't get embarrassed about it, why should you?

Consider I basically advertise my music tastes to the world (long hair, band t-shirts, play in a band, blast TNBM from my dorm room,etc.) I can tell you that most people are just surprised at first and anyone who has a problem with it at first will grow used to it very quickly as long as they realize that you are a sane and rational well adjusted individual.

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker

Necro Beer posted:

Consider I basically advertise my music tastes to the world (long hair, band t-shirts, play in a band, blast TNBM from my dorm room,etc.) I can tell you that most people are just surprised at first and anyone who has a problem with it at first will grow used to it very quickly as long as they realize that you are a sane and rational well adjusted individual.

I'm assuming the question was directed to those of us who are not in college anymore.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

brightfield posted:

I'm assuming the question was directed to those of us who are not in college anymore.

The only people who care what others think of their music haven't even reached college yet.

Razor
May 9, 2004

Like a dark night in autumn

Morbid Florist posted:

The only people who care what others think of their music haven't even reached college yet.

To be honest, I don't really give a poo poo what people think. If I'm around people at work or in my car, I play metal that all of us will enjoy. And I'm 23.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Morbid Florist posted:

I don't care what others think of my music either, but (a little deviating here) one thing I'd never do is impose music like Marduk or something on others.

"Hey man, lets listen to some killer Marduk!" that doesn't really work with my friends who like metalcore, although I wish it did so they'd stop listening to it for the most part. :(

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Razor posted:

To be honest, I don't really give a poo poo what people think. If I'm around people at work or in my car, I play metal that all of us will enjoy. And I'm 23.

That's what I'm saying. I really can't believe anyone out of their teens really thinks they're being judged by everyone within earshot and that friend and colleague alike will write them off. Nobody's saying to blast poo poo full volume all the time and have your bands tattooed on your forehead, but to actively hide music like leprosy....wow.

poo poo while I was typing this one of the company owners walked in to ask for some things, a true WASP by every meaning of the word, and he doesn't even bat an eye with 1184 playing.

Gvaz posted:

I don't care what others think of my music either, but (a little deviating here) one thing I'd never do is impose music like Marduk or something on others.

"Hey man, lets listen to some killer Marduk!" that doesn't really work with my friends who like metalcore, although I wish it did so they'd stop listening to it for the most part. :(

It's give and take. When my punk fan friend drives/hosts, I hear punk and thrash. Not always a fan but not always against it either. But it's his space, his tunes. When he's with me he listens to whatever is on. Sometimes he likes it, sometimes not. But even the poo poo he doesn't like might pique his interest in something else, even just as a conversation starter. "I like these guys aside from all the double bass" "oh well then have you heard X" "hey I kinda like this" and he's got a new band to listen to.

Kick your friends in the complacency now and then, and let them do it to you. Even if you think they listen to total poo poo, you might at least help turn them on to good music here and there.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 27, 2007

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Morbid Florist posted:

It's all well and good to say "gently caress everyone who judges me, I'm a rebel :black101:" but the truth is that there are situations in which blasting metal, talking about metal, or wearing band shirts with offensive graphics is not appropriate. I wouldn't wear my Tomb of the Mutilated shirt to work, for one.

Trying to explain it to people who don't care or won't understand just isn't worth the time or energy. I'm not in high school, and I don't listen to music as a status symbol or because I crave the approval of my peers. I don't think any of us listen to metal for any other reason than the fact that we enjoy it. I'm pretty sure there's no reason to try to explain black metal to my grandmother, and I don't think my boss wants to know either.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The only real problem is when metalheads are obnoxious and stereotypical. Sadly, this happens most of the time :\

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Calling all Windir merch seekers! Punkstuff actually has a full stock of logo hoodies, and for us tall and/or fat fucks, they have 2XL!!!

http://www.punkstuff.com/windir-zipper-hoodies-c-29-p-1-pr-400446.html

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I got a tall fat gently caress Windir shirt from there a while back. Great quality.

If I didn't live in an oven I'd buy one of those hoodies.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

IntoTheNihil posted:

If I didn't live in an oven I'd buy one of those hoodies.

Well you know, the harsh life of being a jew.

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.

MrBling posted:

Are you kidding me?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

MrBling posted:

You're just a dick from start to finish aren't you. Here I thought you were just an rear end in a top hat about music.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Morbid Florist posted:

You're just a dick from start to finish aren't you. Here I thought you were just an rear end in a top hat about music.

IntoTheNihil knows that I'm joking with him, because we're cool like that.

Well, it's either that or you guys are a couple of weeping vaginas.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

MrBling posted:

IntoTheNihil knows that I'm joking with him, because we're cool like that.

I think it's more that you're trying way too hard to be edgy.

I've been exploring black metal beyond what little I knew and listened to regularly (Emperor, Darkthrone) and I've recently discovered that Wigrid, Windir, Marduk, Vreid, Mayhem, and Dissection are really loving awesome. Storm of the Light's Bane, World Funeral, De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas: some new favorite albums that I should have checked out ages ago.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

MrBling posted:

I don't know why I haven't put you on ignore before now, but I know I won't miss your scenester poo poo at all.

This will be a christmas gift that keeps on giving.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Morbid Florist posted:

I don't know why I haven't put you on ignore before now, but I know I won't miss your scenester poo poo at all.

He's a scenester because he's making fun of you for whining about a joke?

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Dehtraen posted:

Break out the MC Hammer shuffle while wearing stretch pants and you're set.

Personally I like this move

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Street Butler posted:

I think it's more that you're trying way too hard to be edgy.
I thought it was funny but I knew he was joking

quote:

De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Yeah, for all the crazy events surrounding Mayhem around that time, it really is a pretty decent album.

BTW so I dunno if anyone else has played with it but Rock Band's facepaint options in character customization are actually pretty impressive, I made an Abbath clone last night that looks pretty accurate. I also liked that they had a clothing option called the Troll Vest, I'm not 100% sure if that's a deliberate reference to TrollfesT or not, as they're relatively obscure as far as I know.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Earwicker posted:

He's a scenester because he's making fun of you for whining about a joke?

No this is just another post in the endless stream of poo poo he talks.

torjus posted:

Personally I like this move

Hah! Is he losing his balance for a second.....or does he dance like that on stage routinely?

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 27, 2007

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Morbid Florist posted:

No this is just another post in the endless stream of poo poo he talks.

Oh, see I'm an internet anthropologist and I thought I was close to cracking the elusive definition of "scenester" but I guess you're just using it as a generic pejorative like everyone else. Carry on.

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Morbid Florist posted:

Hah! Is he losing his balance for a second.....or does he dance like that on stage routinely?

He always does this. I love Abbath.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

torjus posted:

He always does this. I love Abbath.

Abbath is the only black metal musician who can get away with those little smiles on stage. :xd:

edit: have you guys seen the 10 most ridiculous black metal videos ever yet?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Street Butler posted:

Abbath is the only black metal musician who can get away with those little smiles on stage. :xd:

quoting before watching and assuming Call of the Wintermoon is #1

edit: drat, #2

het fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 27, 2007

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

Street Butler posted:

Nice list, but I know of a couple that could easilly end up on top of that list.
This video has brought lots of laugs at parties. Ladies and gentlemen, this is Garou - Skinless Zombie.
No, it is not made as a joke. Yes, it is MIDI.
:nws: for tits I guess.

Funny thing about the Blashyrkh-video. I know a guy from Greece, and that video actually convinced him to move to Norway. What the hell.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Morbid Florist posted:

Well yeah. The only point where it's relevant is when deciding which of your buddies etc. might be interested in being dragged along to concerts.

For reference, I am 35 years old, have a grad school degree, and work as a senior software engineer in a building which is mostly full of economists and lawyers. And I frequently listen to black metal at work (headphones, mind you, but whenever someone asks I'll tell them what it is). I often go to gigs and festivals and so does one of my coworkers. It's perfectly normal. Then again, I do live in Norway.

King Kolostomy
Nov 11, 2004

IntoTheNihil posted:

The only real problem is when metalheads are obnoxious and stereotypical. Sadly, this happens most of the time :\

Same goes for the majority of any group anywhere and everywhere.

How's the new Xasthur album, I haven't listened yet.

Avant Gardening
Jul 24, 2007
"...And if you wondered what Time sounded like it sounded like water running in a dark cave and voices crying and dirt dropping down upon hollow box lids, and rain."

King Kolostomy posted:

It has real drums, and it's his best work yet, but that isn't saying much.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What do you guys say about me making a BM compilation and uploading it? Without sounding like too much an elitist human being, I have searched the BM genre very, very deep and know of more quality bands than most people here. I figure I might be able to get some of you into great bands. So yes/no?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

IntoTheNihil posted:

What do you guys say about me making a BM compilation and uploading it? Without sounding like too much an elitist human being, I have searched the BM genre very, very deep and know of more quality bands than most people here. I figure I might be able to get some of you into great bands. So yes/no?

I'd be all for that. More recommendations are always good.

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker

King Kolostomy posted:

If you like Xasthur, you'll like it. I do, so I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker

IntoTheNihil posted:

Yessireebob. Put in as much crazy poo poo as you can. I want to be blown away.