Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Holy cow Drudkh is samey and long winded :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

thorsilver posted:

And what's with black metal and fascism anyway? Are there no black-metal commies in the world?

Panopticon, Skagos, Wolves in the Throne Room, Iskra. Off the top of my head. There are a lot of anarcho-communist black metal acts out there, how many you want to listen to depends on how much crust you can take in your black metal.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I went to the Decibel Magazine tour show in Chicago last night and Watain didn't show because they're caught up in customs. How often do they tour the US? They were one of the main reasons I was going, so I was pretty bummed. The local blackened slduge band that opened, Wolvhammer, was pretty sweet at least. Nothing mind blowing, but about 10x better than I expected from hipster looking dudes in tight jeans. I picked up their latest album, The Obsidian Plains, but I haven't had time to listen yet. The insert booklet is obnoxious though. It's just as many pages as the album has songs, but it's just black and white photography with no lyrics. Maybe I just got a misprint.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 14, 2012

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Liturgy: hipster black metal.

Agree/disagree?

I have no idea.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Shrill, obnoxious, garbage.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Agree/disagree?

I have no idea.

I like it. If I cared about musicians' opinions, I wouldn't listen to metal.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Greetings bros. I've never been big into black metal, mostly death metal (of all forms) but recently I've been exploring the realms of black metal more and more. Rather than slog through the thousands of bands out there I figure I'll just ask here.

I've always been a huge fan of Immortal. I love everything the band has ever done, and the way they play and write their music really clicks with me (listening to Damned in Black as I write this). Recently I've gotten into Bathory and Taake, and I like the sound of both those bands as well.

What are some good bands out there that sound similar to Immortal or Taake, with that classic black metal sound but still have a production value that makes it sound like it was recorded on something more than a Fisher Price cassette recorder?

I realize Immortal is like one of THE black metal bands, but that should probably give you some idea of how little exposure to black metal I get.

Anti Christian/Religious is very welcome but Im trying to stay away from NSBM.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Try out Averse Sefira, Destroyer 666, Emperor, Rotting Christ

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Defiant Sally posted:

Greetings bros. I've never been big into black metal, mostly death metal (of all forms) but recently I've been exploring the realms of black metal more and more. Rather than slog through the thousands of bands out there I figure I'll just ask here.

I've always been a huge fan of Immortal. I love everything the band has ever done, and the way they play and write their music really clicks with me (listening to Damned in Black as I write this). Recently I've gotten into Bathory and Taake, and I like the sound of both those bands as well.

What are some good bands out there that sound similar to Immortal or Taake, with that classic black metal sound but still have a production value that makes it sound like it was recorded on something more than a Fisher Price cassette recorder?

I realize Immortal is like one of THE black metal bands, but that should probably give you some idea of how little exposure to black metal I get.

Wow you sound *exactly* like me one page ago. Melodeath is my thing, and I just got into black metal. The staples of any black metal library seem to be Immortal, Drudkh, and Enslaved. Immortal is the best of the three, and I don't care for Enslaved.

Basically just buy Immortal albums. I would also suggest Moonsorrow because they have a very black metal sound without being actual black metal.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
I would definitely recommend Sargeist, Inquisition, maybe some Naglfar.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Defiant Sally posted:

If you like Taake, check out Satyricon's Nemesis Divina and work backwards from there.

Here's a couple folky essentials -- Ulver's et etevinty i 5 capitler is amazing. The recording is a little muted, but not lo-fi or anything. In a similar vein is Stormblast by Dimmu Borgir (do NOT get the horrible modern version they remade/ruined).

If you want to head a little deeper, get In the Nightside Eclipse by Emperor, and de mysteriis dom sathanas by Mayhem. The recording is a little fuzzier but not ridiculous, and they are both quintessential (Norwegian) black metal albums.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Aziraphale posted:

Don't forget that it's about the atmosphere rather than the riff. Try putting it on as background music during a rainy / wintry drive or when you're doing something creative - you'll begin to appreciate it more I think.

Alternatively, grab Wolves in the Throne Room's Two Hunters album. That's the one that got me into more atmospheric black metal and it strikes a steady balance between the two.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I went to the Decibel Magazine tour show in Chicago last night and Watain didn't show because they're caught up in customs. How often do they tour the US? They were one of the main reasons I was going, so I was pretty bummed.

Fairly often over the last few years actually. They were jumping into tour buses in Kansas 5hrs ago so anyone else wanting to see them shouldn't be getting stiffed.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Aziraphale posted:

Do drugs.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Agree/disagree?

I have no idea.

I don't think hipster black metal is actually a thing. I do think uninteresting, note-spamming music cloaked in hissing fuzz and surrounded by a pretentious and nonsensical ideology to try and make up for music that, at the end of the day, is just going through the motions is a thing. And Hunter comes off as a dbag.

Caught Alcest in Long Beach last night and they were excellent. Neige's vocals were mixed better than I've ever heard them, ie, actually audible.

Objurium fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 16, 2012

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
Is Gorgoroth worth seeing live? I've last seen them just before the Gaahl drama thing and remember not being too impressed (probably my worst live BM dissapointment after Marduk). What do they mostly play nowadays?

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I saw them a number of months back and was very impressed. Pest was always a much better vocalist than Gaahl anyway, but he nailed all the vocals (clean and unclean) that night. I always remember Gaahl being absolutely chronic live - murdering songs he didn't record initially and generally having poor range. They're still not visual entertainers mind - Infernus still pretty much stands in one spot all night and it's usually to the back, Pest moves around a bit but won't really engage the crowd. Typical black metal posturing really.

Setlist was

quote:

Bergtrollets Hevn
Aneuthanasia
Prayer
Katharinas bortgang
Revelation Of Doom
Forces of Satan Storms
The Rite of Infernal Invocation
Ødeleggelse og undergang / Blood Stains the Circle
Satan-Prometheus
Destroyer / Incipit Satan
Krig
Profetens Apenbaring
Unchain My Heart

So mostly Under the Sign of Hell and the new album.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Objurium posted:

Caught Alcest in Long Beach last night and they were excellent. Neige's vocals were mixed better than I've ever heard them, ie, actually audible.

Say what you will about Alcest and the whole shoegaze black metal trend, but that guy does some loving awesome screams.

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Drifter287 posted:

Say what you will about Alcest and the whole shoegaze black metal trend, but that guy does some loving awesome screams.

Oh yes indeed

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Speaking of Liturgy, this popped up in my feed. Christ, the pretentiousness....

https://www.facebook.com/events/151517701641137/?notif_t=plan_user_joined

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Objurium posted:

Speaking of Liturgy, this popped up in my feed. Christ, the pretentiousness....

https://www.facebook.com/events/151517701641137/?notif_t=plan_user_joined

"Penultimacy"

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

edit- because that's a dumb word

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 18, 2012

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
Liturgy is the Tim Tebow of black metal. Actually fairly unremarkable, yet no one will shut the gently caress up about them.

(This comparison works even better in light of the theory about Christian themes in Liturgy's music.)

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
I only ever hear about Liturgy sparsely on internet forums. Nobody at gigs, festivals (or basically in person) seems to give a flying gently caress about them.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Why the gently caress is hypertrophy in that list of words. Also, https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10100308848980962&set=oa.247053492059635&type=1&theater

What the poo poo?

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery
Watain is making up the dates they missed at the start of the Decibel tour, in May :woop:

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
I kinda see Liturgy as attempting to be the Sun Ra of black metal with their grandiose over-the-top philosophical diatribes It's their attempt at being bigger than the genre or music I guess. That being said I think their image is pretentious as poo poo and pseudo-intellectual. However I do feel that they backed up their pretentious bullshit with a fantastic album.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

hellocruelworld posted:

pseudo-intellectual

This.

And also this:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It should be pretty obvious by this point, if it wasn't already, that Hunt-Hendrix is taking advantage of the black metal musician's unique right to take oneself completely seriously while also completely taking the piss. Some people in black metal have the urge to make music videos of themselves prancing around the woods in wizard hats; some people have the urge to make powerpoints about their transcendentalist, err...burstbeats. Hell, HHH is smalltime compared to Velvet Cacoon and their diesel harp.

Space Flyman
May 21, 2007

BATMAN HE WILL CATCH ALL BADDY!
Does anyone know of anything that's similar to Isengard's stuff, specifically the 1993 Vandreren demo (a.k.a. first part of Vinterskugge) and the Høstmørke album? Fenriz doesn't seem to look back too fondly on it these days, but I really like it.

The problem I've found with a lot of folk black metal is that there's a tendency to either just mix straight-up BM passages with folk interludes (making it sound a bit disjointed), or to just have way too much fiddle-and-flute nonsense going apeshit for the entire song, which just ends up sounding embarassing. The thing I really like about Isengard is that Fenriz managed to make most of the folky vibe actually come from the guitars so it really was "folk black metal" as opposed to "folk 'n black metal".

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I'd love to find more Isengard-like material but I haven't yet. Everything "similar" is severely lacking in one way or another. Fenriz may hate it but he really hit that poo poo out of the park.

Space Flyman
May 21, 2007

Yeah, that's exactly what I've found; been looking for years but things touted as "similar" always end up severely lacking. It did lead me to Urfaust's first full length 'Geist Ist Teufel' back in 2004 or so thanks to Supernal Music describing it as "like Isengard". It clearly isn't, but I absolutely adore that album.

I know everyone loves Fenriz anyway, but the guy really is a genius; seems like he created the Isengard stuff without really trying and just got bored and moved on, while no-one else has even been able to come close. It's like when you first get into Darkthrone you think "Nocturno Culto: Vocals, guitars; Fenriz: Drums", but then you realise that Fenriz did stuff like recording the entirety of Panzerfaust (other than the vocals) by himself.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

They both handle the vocals equally I think. I believe the only things individually done with them is Culto is the only lead guitarist and fenriz is the only drummer. The both double duty rhythm guitar, bass and vocals.

MrSlug
Nov 23, 2004
Sat 4/28/12
Inquisition (WA) (Hells Headbangers Records)
Abazagorath (NJ)
Nachzehrer

Anyone else coming for blackness and beers?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

MrSlug posted:

Sat 4/28/12
Abazagorath (NJ)
Nachzehrer

poo poo! Where is that?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
Hey guys. Not a fan of black metal but thoroughly fascinated with the history, mythology and all auxiliary stuff, I was wondering if you could point me to some documentaries or books on that matter. So far I've watched Until the Light Takes Us and True Norwegian Black Metal, and as far as books, Lords of Chaos. Any other essential reading / watching? Thanks!

MrSlug
Nov 23, 2004

QPZIL posted:

poo poo! Where is that?

Cambridge MA

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

MrSlug posted:

Sat 4/28/12
Abazagorath (NJ)
Nachzehrer

I was thinking of it but Nachzehrer is the only band I'd go to hear and nobody else in my circle digs the grimness

Mr Underhill posted:

Hey guys. Not a fan of black metal but thoroughly fascinated with the history, mythology and all auxiliary stuff, I was wondering if you could point me to some documentaries or books on that matter. So far I've watched Until the Light Takes Us and True Norwegian Black Metal, and as far as books, Lords of Chaos. Any other essential reading / watching? Thanks!

You've hit the high points as far as I'm concerned

There's some "documentary" Bill Zebub put out that's pretty loving awful aside from a few interviews with Enslaved and such. Too many hacks and nobodys saying little to nothing interesting to watch it more than once. But you do get previews of some of the guy's low budget movies and they have a lot of naked women in them, so it's got that going for it at least.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 26, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Mr Underhill posted:

Here's a ten years old docu by norwegian television which is also pretty good (the parts with Darkthrone are the best as usual):

http://youtu.be/8d3bCvQYt0o
http://youtu.be/FmZgCNyku0g
http://youtu.be/PtRNQ0R4Ji8
http://youtu.be/e_DXn1GL-08

Space Flyman
May 21, 2007

Stumbled upon this the other day which some of you may or may not have seen (apologies if it's been posted already, I didn't spot it).

It's a rare interview with Darkthrone, circa 1990. Unfortunately it's in un-subbed Norwegian, but it's still interesting to see for any BM fan. Fenriz looks about 15 and can't stop playing with his hair...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YTRukiP-fs

Space Flyman fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Apr 26, 2012

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

thorsilver posted:

'Undertones' is underselling it a bit to be honest. I just listened to M8L8TH - Beyond the Twilights and it opens with something that sounds very like a Hitler speech and the lyrics go on about Aryan pride, that's pretty loving blatant.

It's also depressing because the actual music itself is loving good.

Is there anything out there that's similar but not so blatant about shoving Hitler down the listener's throat?

And what's with black metal and fascism anyway? Are there no black-metal commies in the world?

Red and Anarchist Black Metal is a blog you might find useful for that.

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Agree/disagree?

I have no idea.

Biography/interviews remind me a little of Deathspell Omega. Music ... doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Holy gently caress Inquisition is so loving awesome.

If you're like me and putting off listening to these guys 'cuase you're lazy, stop and go check 'em out. Instant love in my book.

Naturally I go to look for t-shirts and they're not in stock.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 9, 2012