Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

5er posted:

I didn't know they did that sort of thing.

First page of recommendations on Google Play music which takes into account stuff you've seen on youtube, tracks you upload to your storage, Google searches for artists and tracks you've identified with the "what's this song?" widget on a smartphone or tablet.

Amazon also has this thing where if you order a CD they'll let you download a 160kbps mp3 version of the album while waiting for it to ship. Doesn't work for out of print stuff you buy from Amazon market sellers though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
Varg has been blogging about his arrest...

quote:

My pregnant wife, not yet aware that it was actually the police, tried to cover our youngest son and — she told me later — was about to reach for her 22 LR Browning lever action rifle, when she understood from my reaction that it was the police. Our youngest son, who was sleeping in our bed during that night (because my mother-in-law was visiting), and was therefore directly behind me and in front of the muzzles of the police’s assault rifles.

Sorry to digress, but some times when you buy underwear you get three underpants in one package, and for some reason at least one of these are always in some horrible colour, and of course I was wearing such a pair of underpants on Thuesday morning. A pair of strikingly orange underpants. Having been repeatedly dragged out into the street or prison hallways or similar in my underwear before, by the Norwegian police or prison guards, I thought to myself that this was going to repeat itself and I would be photographed with my little belly, my thin hair, my tanned arms in great contrast to my pale body and — wearing horribly orange underpants. (Everybody would believe that I was actually Dutch…)

:v:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Just stopping by to throw in a rec for the new Acherontas. I found Vamchara a bit boring, but I really liked this one. I still haven't found a 2013 BM release that stands out as much as Lunar Aurora or Mgla though. I know a lot of people liked Cultes Des Ghoules, but I didn't find it as compelling as others apparently. Since checking out Acherontas this afternoon I've been on a Deathspell Omega binge. Si Momentum... is still an incredible album.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

nomapple posted:

Just stopping by to throw in a rec for the new Acherontas. I found Vamchara a bit boring, but I really liked this one. I still haven't found a 2013 BM release that stands out as much as Lunar Aurora or Mgla though. I know a lot of people liked Cultes Des Ghoules, but I didn't find it as compelling as others apparently. Since checking out Acherontas this afternoon I've been on a Deathspell Omega binge. Si Momentum... is still an incredible album.

What did you think of Progenie Terrestra Pura? I'm liking space BM like that and Alrakis recently.

Also yeah, DsO is cool. I like Fas the best.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Gamma Nerd posted:

DsO is cool. I like Fas the best.

I like them all for different reasons, but I think "Drought" is my all-time favorite.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think Kenose holds up really well as a whole.

That Haeresiarchs of Dis band plugged on the last page kind of own, too.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I think Kenose holds up really well as a whole.

That Haeresiarchs of Dis band plugged on the last page kind of own, too.

Kenose is probably one of my favourites. I like Fas, but I probably listen to it the least out of all of them because it is loving terrifying.

Gamma Nerd posted:

What did you think of Progenie Terrestra Pura? I'm liking space BM like that and Alrakis recently.

Also yeah, DsO is cool. I like Fas the best.

I gave them a listen on Bandcamp but they didn't really do it for me. Not sure I was in the mood at the time though, might revisit it. Darkspace III fulfils all of my spacey black metal needs normally.

ROIDTECH
Jan 22, 2001

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
hi, I really like the new Deafheaven record

I was getting bored of black metal for a while, but this pulled me back. It also drove me to play more music and go to more shows again. Ultimately, it's had a positive effect on my life and I'm pretty happy about it.

that's all I wanted to say

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

nomapple posted:

Irkallian Oracle's debut is an instant classic. And they are absolutely excellent live.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Speaking of Mgla, can anyone recommend other albums that are similar to With Hearts Toward None? It's really drat good and I don't know a lot like it. I don't listen to that much black metal, so obvious recommendations would be appreciated.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

John Magnum posted:

Speaking of Mgla, can anyone recommend other albums that are similar to With Hearts Toward None? It's really drat good and I don't know a lot like it. I don't listen to that much black metal, so obvious recommendations would be appreciated.

Taake's Noregs Vaapen and Sargeist's Let The Devil In scratch the same itch for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pDd4QV2Mic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdl8AOmBw6Q

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I've been listening to Watain's "The Wild Hunt", since I got an advance copy from the label and, boy, it's a loving great album. It does present some important changes from, e.g. Lawless Darkness, such as including a doomy-sounding song, no growling.
Last year I interviewed Erik, from Watain, and he said he encouraged terrorism.
A few weeks ago I interviewed him again, in preparation for the release of The Wild Hunt, and he said the same thing :/
In case anybody is curious: http://www.metalblast.net/2013/07/deforming-the-cord-of-life-an-interview-with-watain/ (the link to the previous one is there as well)

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Non Serviam posted:

Last year I interviewed Erik, from Watain, and he said he encouraged terrorism.
A few weeks ago I interviewed him again, in preparation for the release of The Wild Hunt, and he said the same thing :/

Can I just ask, in light of what he is actually saying, why this is a bad thing?

Eric has basically said that Watain's music and perspective comes from darkness, and in as such, he supports acts that are borne from the same place - eg. terrorism - as an expression and execution of that same dark force. It's illustrated further by his response to the church burning - it's not the act itself, but the atmosphere of terror and fear that it inspires. I would have thought that the previous album name was enough of a hint.
His words are basically "our music is a representation of misanthropic thoughts, the voices one only hears in darkness and the actions society fears and despises; if you're going to do something in 'Our' name, then it should be an act that also represents these tenets".

He's saying nothing most underground artists have not already said, or would say. He's just a little more blunt about it (and quite theatrical, but that goes with the territory), and it seems a little shocking because he represents a band that is about as mainstream as black metal can be without losing the ideals. Realistically, is anyone going to carry out an act of terrorism in his bands' name? Most likely not, but that would be obsessive devotion, and as such, of course he is not going to distance himself from it (and especially not when it serves for publicity too).

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
This might be splitting hairs, but he also isn't calling for or encouraging terrorism, rather acknowledging that terrorism as an act of expression is consonant with Watain's ideals. That might be its own kind of :/ but it's a distinction worth making.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Also depending on where you live "terrorism" can be anything from the use of explosives to publicly communicating about unsanctioned activities.

Didn't Russian press try to brand Pussy Riot as terrorists when they spoke against Putin?

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Singing about Satan in a glam rock band qualifies as an act of terrorism in Sweden

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

m-o-o-n posted:

Singing about Satan in a glam rock band qualifies as an act of terrorism in Sweden

It counts equivalently in quite a number of American households too.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Monkeytime posted:

This might be splitting hairs, but he also isn't calling for or encouraging terrorism, rather acknowledging that terrorism as an act of expression is consonant with Watain's ideals. That might be its own kind of :/ but it's a distinction worth making.

Come on dude, at least check the link (EDIT: Sorry if it sounds like I'm snapping at you. I'm not)

quote:

MB: One of the criticisms that have been thrown against heavy metal since the very beginning is that it has the potential to make people do bad things. Do you ever fear, or are you ever concerned with it, that a fan may misunderstand this stuff and, just to give you an example (not that you would actually cause this) go to a mall and start shooting people or doing any crazy poo poo like that.
Erik: That wouldn’t be a misunderstanding, that would be taking things in the very right way, and I totally encourage any kind of terrorist acts committed in the name of Watain, absolutely, that’s the way rock and roll works.

As for why it's a wrong thing, well, in most of the world openly calling for violence is a crime; it's not "I like terrorism" or "I approve terrorism", it's "I encourage terrorist acts to be committed in our name". When you consider that in Europe denying the holocaust or selling Mein Kampf has been labeled as incitement, even when no calls for violence have been made, I wouldn't be surprised if this could be used in a criminal prosecution against them. Hell, consider what happened to Varg Vikerness, who was arrested for being the kind of person who might commit a terrorist actand you'll see why comments like these are not a good idea.

I think that a big part is, without a doubt, publicity, but it seems irresponsible to go down that path. Not to mention that I can honestly see a possible liability (or at least an attempt) if something does happen, especially when you consider that much weaker cases, like Judas Priest's "subliminal messages" trial, have ended up in Court (albeit in the US).

EDIT: I suck at BBCodes

Redrum and Coke fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 29, 2013

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

Come on dude, at least check the link (EDIT: Sorry if it sounds like I'm snapping at you. I'm not)

That passage was from the previous interview, but on re-reading the most recent one

quote:

MB: One of the things about which we got the most comments from was your mention of encouraging terrorism in the name of Watain. Do you still hold those views and, most importantly, what would be your reaction if fans actually started taking that seriously?
E: Well, I hope they do, because I don’t like to be taken as something not serious, because that would be a bit of a waste of time, to do things that are not serious.

doesn't look too good. As you point out, Europe is much harsher on hate speech and incitement to violence than we are in America, and these guys are probably in trouble legally if some idiot kills a bunch of people in the name of the great Watain ritual or whatever.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I'm pretty sure I could go buy a copy of Mein Kampf very easily should I so desire, since Europe isn't one monolithic entity.

The really aggressive hate speech legislation especially in regards to Nazi stuff is in Germany and Austria.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

MrBling posted:

I'm pretty sure I could go buy a copy of Mein Kampf very easily should I so desire, since Europe isn't one monolithic entity.

The really aggressive hate speech legislation especially in regards to Nazi stuff is in Germany and Austria.

While this was not the point of my comment, I'll address it. Sure, it depends on where you live but, for example, it's illegal to sell it in The Netherlands; in Spain a guy called Pedro Varela went to prison for 2 years for selling that and a holocaust denying book in his book store. I agree, Europe is not a monolithic entity, but policies on hate speech and incitement are becoming more and more similar as the time passes, be it in law or in application.

The point, however, was not Mein Kampf but rather that European governments are not keen on anything that seems like extremism or even close to extremism (the Vikernes case being an example) and drew a parallel between prosecutions for incitement and what would happen for encouraging terrorism.

Enough nationalism derail. I think the point was clear on why it's a bad idea to openly say "I encourage terrorism"

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar
So, I'll be seeing Marduk this weekend now... any idea of how their live gigs usually are?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Crimsonjewfro posted:

So, I'll be seeing Marduk this weekend now... any idea of how their live gigs usually are?

Do you like blastbeats? Hope you like blastbeats. If you do, Marduk have you covered.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

Oldstench posted:

Do you like blastbeats? Hope you like blastbeats. If you do, Marduk have you covered.

Oh, come on, they got a little less blast-happy in the less few albums. I just wish they'd play some of their older and slower songs.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
The last time I saw them live was right after PDM came out, so it was, of course, wall-to-wall blasts. I think they may have played Dark Endless. Don't remember though.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Two thirds of their set will be that song with lots of blast beats from that album they released six or seven times. The rest of the set is probably songs they borrowed from Dark Funeral or more recent Setherial, or maybe even old Marduk, if you're lucky you'll get an extra one or two from their first three albums in addition to the token old song from Dark Endless. Their drummer is probably going to do an homage to 1349 too, and you'll probably be lucky enough that the rest of the band is going to decide to play during his eleven minute drum solo of nothing but blasting.

So, energetic black metal without much of any sort of dynamic change within the set itself. The band has so much similar material that they're pretty much in one mode, which is good for 45-60 mins if you're into it. Hopefully the other bands aren't the same type of thing or it'll be taxing to get through the show, but good if there's some variety.

Speaking of blasty black metal bands and set dynamics, Setherial played this in the middle of their set when I saw them. They only played seven or eight songs, but it was great. I would have killed for "In the Still of the Northern Fullmoon" though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DLiEq2zIwI

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Zodijackylite posted:

which is good for 45-60 mins if you're into it.

Both times I've seen them they play pretty much exactly 45 minutes. The only difference was when they were headlining they came out for a one song encore. I think they know they have a sweet spot for set length.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!
Cross-posting from the Metal Thread. Looks like Emperor is reuniting next year :

http://www.terrorizer.com/news/news-news/emperor-have-returned/

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
New Lluvia album due out later this year. The posted sample track sounds really good; I can't wait for this album:

http://bandcamp.fallenempirerecords.com/album/premonicion-de-guerra

Edit: It's probably helpful to mention that Lluvia is the guy behind The Rain in Endless Fall and Wylve (who's also involved in Blut Der Nacht). I think it's basically the same project, just with a different name. Again.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

deadking posted:

New Lluvia album due out later this year. The posted sample track sounds really good; I can't wait for this album:

http://bandcamp.fallenempirerecords.com/album/premonicion-de-guerra

Edit: It's probably helpful to mention that Lluvia is the guy behind The Rain in Endless Fall and Wylve (who's also involved in Blut Der Nacht). I think it's basically the same project, just with a different name. Again.

He already released the track "La Oscuridad Doth Dar La Inmortalidad" as The Rain in Endless Fall and I was already impressed by it at that time - but I'm really glad to hear this guy sticking with a concept long enough to release a full-length.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
I dunno how many Urfaust fans there are in here, but it looks like we're finally getting some new material instead of another loving tshirt design. Due at the end of Aug/Early September. I can't wait. (Their t-shirt designs are generally great, but I'm definitely ready for some new material.) Listening to Einsiedler right now and it is still great.

I really like the layout of the new release. If I was going to complain, I'd wish for more than 1 side of a 7", but I guess I'll take what I can get...

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
Why have I only just discovered Watain? :getin:

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Never fear, there'll be a new Ruins of Beverast this year. And it's going to be amazing.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Never fear, there'll be a new Ruins of Beverast this year. And it's going to be amazing.

Yeah I really liked both of the preview tracks, I can't wait. Might as well just set up a direct debit to Van Records for the next few releases.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

nomapple posted:

Yeah I really liked both of the preview tracks, I can't wait. Might as well just set up a direct debit to Van Records for the next few releases.

Hell no, shipping is atrocious from Van. Find a smaller distro who's ordering in a bulk/trade with Van and ask them to order for you too.

Unbootable
Jul 3, 2003
I noticed the other day that Thou had put tour dates up for dates they're playing with False and Cloud Rat.
09.15.13 - St. Louis with Fister // Ben Salyers
09.16.13 - Minneapolis at The House of Lard at six pm // Adam
09.17.13 - Milwaukee at Borg Ward (823 W. National Avenue) at seven pm with Northless // Cory
09.18.13 - Chicago at Albion House (1719 W. Albion Street) at six pm with Hate // Chris
09.19.13 - Grand Rapids // Rorick
09.20.13 - Detroit // Rorick
Are any other goons planning on going to any of these dates? I'm planning on the the Detroit one because that's what I'm closest to.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Hell no, shipping is atrocious from Van. Find a smaller distro who's ordering in a bulk/trade with Van and ask them to order for you too.

Thanks for the tip. The only thing I've ordered from Van so far was the Urfaust 3LP box along with a couple of 7"s. I guess I didn't really notice the priciness of the shipping because the package was pretty heavy anyway.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Unbootable posted:

I noticed the other day that Thou had put tour dates up for dates they're playing with False and Cloud Rat.
09.15.13 - St. Louis with Fister // Ben Salyers
09.16.13 - Minneapolis at The House of Lard at six pm // Adam
09.17.13 - Milwaukee at Borg Ward (823 W. National Avenue) at seven pm with Northless // Cory
09.18.13 - Chicago at Albion House (1719 W. Albion Street) at six pm with Hate // Chris
09.19.13 - Grand Rapids // Rorick
09.20.13 - Detroit // Rorick
Are any other goons planning on going to any of these dates? I'm planning on the the Detroit one because that's what I'm closest to.

I'd recommend showing up in time to see False they are great, especially live.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

nomapple posted:

I dunno how many Urfaust fans there are in here, but it looks like we're finally getting some new material instead of another loving tshirt design. Due at the end of Aug/Early September. I can't wait. (Their t-shirt designs are generally great, but I'm definitely ready for some new material.) Listening to Einsiedler right now and it is still great.

I really like the layout of the new release. If I was going to complain, I'd wish for more than 1 side of a 7", but I guess I'll take what I can get...

King dude is trash but I'm still kinda stoked for this release. I really liked Der Freiwillige Bettler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

m-o-o-n posted:

King dude is trash but I'm still kinda stoked for this release. I really liked Der Freiwillige Bettler.

I feel the same. Should've done another split with The Ruins of Beverast to coincide with his new album ;)