Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
Who the gently caress cares about someone's beard. In The Nightside Eclipse is still top 5 BM records of all time, if not the best. Anxious to see their live set again this year at Wacken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Ihsahn looks exactly as I'd expect him to look considering his last couple of solo albums.

Whatever, I still love Emperor.

Also, if you haven't read Black Metal: Evolution of the Cult, get it. It's so much better than Lords of Chaos.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
New Sargeist track is pretty solid: http://www.stereogum.com/1668209/sargeist-the-shunned-angel-stereogum-premiere/mp3s

Not exactly excited for this album, but I'll give it a listen as there seems to be a slow trickle of interesting BM at the moment.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Woolie Wool posted:

And the award for most terrible band photo goes to...

Emperor! :gonk:

How does Ihsahn look at that neckbeard in the morning and not want to cut his own face off?

Posted it in the ugly and awful thread, nobody even took a second glance. Stop worrying about looks and enjoy the loving music.

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

nomapple posted:

New Sargeist track is pretty solid: http://www.stereogum.com/1668209/sargeist-the-shunned-angel-stereogum-premiere/mp3s

Not exactly excited for this album, but I'll give it a listen as there seems to be a slow trickle of interesting BM at the moment.

Sargeist recordings have always been just alright for me, but from what I've heard they are absolutely destructive live.

EDIT: Speaking of Sargeist live, for anyone in NYC, don't be a false and go check out this ridiculously good fest:

kirkjames fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Mar 6, 2014

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

kirkjames posted:

Sargeist recordings have always been just alright for me, but from what I've heard they are absolutely destructive live.

EDIT: Speaking of Sargeist live, for anyone in NYC, don't be a false and go check out this ridiculously good fest:

Do One Tail One Head have friends in high places because they sure as hell aren't landing headliner slots with their music

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

m-o-o-n posted:

Do One Tail One Head have friends in high places because they sure as hell aren't landing headliner slots with their music

They happen to be excellent live, and are spearheading the only interesting local Norwegian scene right now (Trondheim/Nidaros). The nature of that scene assures that they have a lot of contacts that reach beyond Norway, and they have become minor underground legends at this point. It also doesn't hurt that they share members with Behexen, Vemod, Celestial Bloodshed, Mare, Kaosritual, Black Majesty, Aptorian Demon, and Altaar. Before he was shot and killed, Steingrim Thorson (Selvhat, Celestial Bloodshed, Unbeing, etc) was their bassist. They've been playing with bands like Urfaust, Mgla, Svartidaudi, Behexen, Kadotus, and so on.

I also happen to like their music, but each to their own.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Out of those, Mare is the only band that interests me the slightest bit :shrug:

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

m-o-o-n posted:

Celestial Bloodshed is (was) tight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAU6EMnz_BY

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

m-o-o-n posted:

Vemod's pretty drat good.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Measly Twerp posted:

Posted it in the ugly and awful thread, nobody even took a second glance. Stop worrying about looks and enjoy the loving music.

If there was a new album coming, or even a decent tour, it'd be easier to get over them looking like coffee shop nerds

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Measly Twerp posted:

Despite seeing the picture of Emperor in the thread earlier and without clicking the link in your post, I instantly assumed you were talking about these guys given it's in the black metal thread and Morbid Florist's "coffee shop nerds" description. lawl

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Despite seeing the picture of Emperor in the thread earlier and without clicking the link in your post, I instantly assumed you were talking about these guys given it's in the black metal thread and Morbid Florist's "coffee shop nerds" description. lawl

Deafheaven should have been named Backpfeifengesicht.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

m-o-o-n posted:

As has been said, live they are completely different. I've seen them three times and there's very few bands that are as vicious, energetic and completely feed off of the audience. They're also playing black metal with a heavy rock and roll base, so it almost lulls you in at points with "safe" melodies before degenerating into a buzzsaw attack.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I stand corrected, Emperor looks straight out of a pit fight now that I've seen this. Those two look like they'd whimper at a poetry reading

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah, I hope there is some new OTOH material soon, also looking forward to seeing them next week. Most excited about Mgla and Svartidaudi though.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Anyone seeing Absu + Portal in Brisbane?

I really enjoyed Absu's last visit even though the vocalist sings like a naughty goblin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vyw_FGIhAE

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Morbid Florist posted:

I stand corrected, Emperor looks straight out of a pit fight now that I've seen this. Those two look like they'd whimper at a poetry reading

I think I recall in some interview with Anaal Nathrakh, one of the guys in the photograph for it was wearing a Radiohead shirt, and metalheads went ripshit about it. Meanwhile Anaal Nathrakh's some of the most brutal stuff I've heard in a while.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I like this new Sun Worship album Elder Giants. It is really heavy and has sweet cover art.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR_Drw5WVb4

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I liked Diamatregon's first album, but finally checked out their more recent stuff and it just wasn't what I had liked about them. I'm into the furious burst-at-the-seams falling-down-a-flight-of-stairs quality they have, with a dose of punkishness. Anaal Nathrakh's first record is like that, but I don't really like anything else of theirs that I've heard. I guess Fukpig are like that too.

Know of any other bands/records like that I should check out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM66W8CXy4Y

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Snowy posted:

I liked Diamatregon's first album, but finally checked out their more recent stuff and it just wasn't what I had liked about them. I'm into the furious burst-at-the-seams falling-down-a-flight-of-stairs quality they have, with a dose of punkishness. Anaal Nathrakh's first record is like that, but I don't really like anything else of theirs that I've heard. I guess Fukpig are like that too.

Know of any other bands/records like that I should check out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM66W8CXy4Y

I don't hear any Anaal Nathrakh in this at all, but, whatever. You might like Impiety and the several thousand bands that sound like them.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

In today's black metal scene there are people who hate the entire universe, anti-islamic muslim BM, people who sing about botany and coal miners in Kentucky. But are there any feminist bands?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

In today's black metal scene there are people who hate the entire universe, anti-islamic muslim BM, people who sing about botany and coal miners in Kentucky. But are there any feminist bands?

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Book_of_Sand/3540302780

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Well, there's Book of Sand who are apparently feminist, vegan, anti-racist and pro-human extinction. I don't know how that all works - I'd expect people who are pro-human extinction to support murder and stuff but I'm a filthy man and what do I know.

e: beaten

kirkjames
Jul 23, 2005

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

as far as like, strict black metal goes, there's barely any, which is a shame.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Would ecofeminism count? Pretty sure Wolves in the Throne Room ascribe to that. Most any band that ascribes to leftist thought or anarchism is probably going to be feminist on some level though.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Deafheaven should have been named Backpfeifengesicht.

They sound like they look. :barf:

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Killsion posted:

Would ecofeminism count? Pretty sure Wolves in the Throne Room ascribe to that. Most any band that ascribes to leftist thought or anarchism is probably going to be feminist on some level though.

Yeah, that's true. I was thinking more if someone had really made feminism their 'niche'.

Book of Sand sounds pretty decent though, for being experimental.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

I was actually wondering the other day whether there are any tumblr black metal bands crying about social justice issues and thought no one would be so loving stupid as to form one. Welp!

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

To end this horrible touchy-feely derail, NWN just posted two demos from the new Nuclearhammer album. It sounds really killer.

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 12, 2014

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Oldstench posted:

To end this horrible touchy-feely derail, NWN just posted two demos from the new Nuclearhammer album. It sounds really killer.

Yeah, I like the album art as well. KOSMIK SNAKES!

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
What's up with those track lengths? Are there, like, 3 interludes in a row?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Gamma Nerd posted:

What's up with those track lengths? Are there, like, 3 interludes in a row?

Yup.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
:wtc:

Why not just do one interlude? Do they want more last.fm plays or something?

vv point taken, it's just a really weird thing I haven't seen before

Gamma Nerd fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 13, 2014

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Gamma Nerd posted:

:wtc:

Why not just do one interlude? Do they want more last.fm plays or something?

The titles are pretty neat. Does it matter?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Oldstench posted:

I don't really think much of this, they can play very fast but ehhh. The start of the second track that sounds like funeral doom is ok I guess.

Edit: linking Sarkrista's debut from last year so this post has something to it, it's quite good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0NAASwD3lY

A human heart fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 13, 2014

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

A human heart posted:

I don't really think much of this, they can play very fast but ehhh. The start of the second track that sounds like funeral doom is ok I guess.

The whole black/death thing is something you either like or you don't I guess. I dig it personally. It's just savage and UUUUUURGH but this band seem to have a little atmosphere to them as well, which is nice.

e: Nuclearhammer full stream up: http://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandcamp.com/album/serpentine-hermetic-lucifer

Also, Mgla and Svartidaudi were out of this world good last night. Grave Miasma were also great, and I still feel like OT,OH are the most overrated thing in black metal at the moment. Don't feel like I can accurately convey how amazing Svartidaudi's stage presence was, or how majestic Mgla sounded. Svartidaudi was chaotic and violent, after which, Mgla's melodies sounded simply majestic. All round, an amazing gig despite the loving horrendous venue organisation.

BTW I picked up The Synthesis of Whore and Beast from Svartidaudi and it's great.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 14, 2014

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Incoming shameless plug: I wrote a piece on the new book "Black Metal: Evolution Of The Cult" by Dayal Patterson:

Proclick

Spoiler alert: The book is quite good and worth getting if you're at all interested in the genre.

Also, I strongly recommend you all check out Janvs' re-recording of their demo Nigredo. Fantastic stuff, and one of the only re-recordings I've ever heard that feels completely justified.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6lZAUvE9rY

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 14, 2014

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

ElectricWizard posted:

Incoming shameless plug: I wrote a piece on the new book "Black Metal: Evolution Of The Cult" by Dayal Patterson:

Proclick

Spoiler alert: The book is quite good and worth getting if you're at all interested in the genre.

Good to hear. Dayal is a cool guy and he's been working incredibly drat hard on that book. I will get a copy asap - still annoyed it came out after I finished my MA (did my dissertation on BM and masculinity and yes I know I am everything that is wrong with the scene) as it would have been p useful, I think. :)

I was at the Mgla gig with nomapple and have to disagree on Svartidaudi - they really didn't do it for me. Muddy and samey. Also had to leave halfway through Mgla due to massively late running of the gig. Incredibly annoyed as I'd really been looking forward to it. HOW did it take hours to get in to a venue above a pub?! The door staff were checking people's rolling tobacco packets, I mean what. (Yes I am old and grumpy.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ElectricWizard posted:

Proclick

I know it's niche as hell and all, but $65 is a lot for one book.