Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Yeah a lot of it takes more queues from LLN than the 2nd wave Norwegian scene. Hence the prominence of vampire themes and imagery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is there anything in that post lln vampire horny raw bm scene I should hear?

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
It sort of depends on whether or not you like Mutiilation and/or Vlad Tepes. If not, the scene probably doesn't have anything to offer you. I actually think Sanguine Relic is a pretty good example of that style, although he's pretty inconsistent. I liked Essence of Eternity's Despair a lot (the album I posted upthread). Orgy of Carrion is pretty good too as is Obskuritatem, but the latter's stuff is insanely lo-fi. It's a bit further afield but a lot of the earlier Black Twilight Circle releases are tapping into that LLN sound as well. I'd suggest the first Volahn album and the Dolorvotre album, maybe?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Moonblood are also obviously a big influence on super limited extremely raw demo tapes but Moonblood, like most of the LLN, were actually good at songwriting.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

deadking posted:

It sort of depends on whether or not you like Mutiilation and/or Vlad Tepes. If not, the scene probably doesn't have anything to offer you. I actually think Sanguine Relic is a pretty good example of that style, although he's pretty inconsistent. I liked Essence of Eternity's Despair a lot (the album I posted upthread). Orgy of Carrion is pretty good too as is Obskuritatem, but the latter's stuff is insanely lo-fi. It's a bit further afield but a lot of the earlier Black Twilight Circle releases are tapping into that LLN sound as well. I'd suggest the first Volahn album and the Dolorvotre album, maybe?

I actually don't think any of these bands are very similar to Vlad Tepes because that guy had a really unusual way of writing riffs. There's still not really any bands that sound like Vlad Tepes as far as i've heard.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The only dumb lo-fi black metal I need is made by Paul Ledney.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

skasion posted:

Norwegian stuff had already experimented with sounding lovely on purpose, like Varg recording the vocals for Filosofem on a headset mic. But the whole appeal came from the scene being very DIY/underground and that’s what LLN were going for at a time when black metal was increasingly mainstreaming/trending. Trying to put the edge back on, basically.

That's a good point. Maybe that's why they kept threatening to murder each other in their various zines. In their defense a lot of the "mainstream" black metal of the late 90s/early 2000s is pretty bad.

A human heart posted:

I actually don't think any of these bands are very similar to Vlad Tepes because that guy had a really unusual way of writing riffs. There's still not really any bands that sound like Vlad Tepes as far as i've heard.

A human heart posted:

Moonblood are also obviously a big influence on super limited extremely raw demo tapes but Moonblood, like most of the LLN, were actually good at songwriting.

Yeah, Moonblood's an obvious influence, although I think Taste Our German Steel is nowhere near as good as the prices it used to fetch. And fair point about Vlad Tepes; I was referring more to the production value, I guess. Mutiilation's sound is way more influential but I haven't heard a more recent lo-fi band make something as good as Vampires. More bands should try and take influence from Vlad Tepes though, his stuff is great.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Are there any French black metallers who aren't nationalist shitlords? Peste Noire made such good loving music but Famine is just an absolute cockroach of a human being. Maybe Neige, but he's not really doing BM anymore. Alcest owns though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Are there any French black metallers who aren't nationalist shitlords? Peste Noire made such good loving music but Famine is just an absolute cockroach of a human being. Maybe Neige, but he's not really doing BM anymore. Alcest owns though.

Blut aus Nord

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Glorior Belli

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It was already said, BLUT AUS NORD. I’m a huge fan of all of their work. Their more traditional black metal is fantastic and their completely different atmospheric and industrial work is phenomenal.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

check out Vindsval's other projects too, The Eye in particular is really cool. Children of Maani also good.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Although Yeruselem isn’t black metal you should also listen to that. It’s like Godflesh’s Streetcleaner.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

This is my favorite track by them

https://youtu.be/rzRmo05G__4

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Blut Aus Nord is great, but the name fucks with my head because I speak German and it's just so bad

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

deadking posted:

Yeah, Moonblood's an obvious influence, although I think Taste Our German Steel is nowhere near as good as the prices it used to fetch.

I don't remember liking that one very much but Blut and Krieg is pretty good although it's been ages since i've listened to it. some of the rehearsals are very good but you have to have a tolerance for bathroom production. I think moonblood kind of tricks people because they wrote a lot of really long 'epic' kind of songs but the production is so lo fi that you don't really pay attention to the songwriting so much. The axaxul album from last year has a bunch of rerecorded songs from the moonblood rehearsals on it but i haven't got around to listening to it yet.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
nthing Blut Aus Nord. I like my BM with a heaping side of sourness and dissonance.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Lords of Chaos was a turd

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I like it a lot because it makes Varg angry

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Dusk Woerot is the only thing Moonblood put out that's really, really good.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

New Dawn Ray'd announced and up on bandcamp. But gently caress, only the intro as a preview.

https://dawnrayd.bandcamp.com/album/behold-sedition-plainsong

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This is cool

https://bullofapisbullofbronze.bandcamp.com/album/offerings-of-flesh-and-gold

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bertrand Hustle posted:

One of my fave French acts is Nuit Noire which is best described as faerie black metal. Instead of dumb NS ideology Tenebras is obsessed with night, the moon, the woods, and of course faeries. The second half or so of the discog is very punky. It's very fun, very sloppy, very goofy music that I genuinely like a lot.

I got a 7" of theirs years ago on which he drew faeries with a sharpie on the case. Funny dude.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Pretty loving stoked that Dawn Ray’d and Underdark are playing down where I live this month. Good time for some live RABM.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

this hosed me up earlier today, it sounds like Craft with a punchier rhythm section to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p9ScpTJDpo

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Hell yeah

https://twitter.com/heckhammer/status/1171555857685000193?s=19

This band rocks btw

graveportents
Sep 12, 2019

strumpets vexed

nerve posted:

I like it a lot because it makes Varg angry

Varg gets rear end blasted about everything though.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Went to see LIK’s first gig last night, at Nordvis Høstfest with Bhleg and Vemod. All three were great. LIK played all of their debut album and a few other tracks, and worked well as a full band. Vemod played a few new songs that veered heavily into post rock. Bhleg were quite theatrical, and a lot better live than I expected.

Forndom also played, but were boring as hell so I didn’t catch their whole set.

Here’s a shot I took of Bhleg’s frontman.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

In lieu of seeing Underdark tonight due to feeling tired and ill, I decided to spend my time putting together a quick video for one of the tracks of my upcoming album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeEHLn8lxgE

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

ElectricWizard posted:

Here’s a shot I took of Bhleg’s frontman.

Did he, by any chance, happen to say "Ni"?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Some new Obsequiae.
https://listen.20buckspin.com/album/the-palms-of-sorrowed-kings

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

New Blut Aus Nord

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/blut-aus-nord-surprise-released-their-new-album-hallucinogen-a-month-early-listen/

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

i am not the hugest fan of black metal in general but Obsequiae is extremely my poo poo, i loved aria of vernal tombs and this sounds like it's going to be killer

what else sounds like this? what obscure BM sub-genre do i need to enter into the googles

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Nothing really sounds like Obsequiae that comes to mind. Their other project Nechochwen might be worth checking out although they incorporate american folk and indigenous music rather than medieval music for that project.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

it's really good, their best in a decade i reckon.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

deadking posted:

Their other project Nechochwen

:aaaaa: how did I not know that (Nechochwen rule)

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
I looked it up later and kinda remembered it wrong. Nechochwen and Obsequiae shared a member but not anymore.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Obsequiae guy’s previous project was called Autumnal Winds which sounds like poo poo-fi Obsequiae at 1/2 speed, they released a couple of demos if you’re into that.

He was also in Celestiial which occasionally sounds like Obsequiae at like 1/8 speed.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

New Dawn Ray’d video / track from the new album.

https://youtu.be/Avqo5JtksIc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
A few cool new things coming up on Appalachian Noise Records:

Spellbine: https://spellbine.bandcamp.com/album/the-death-of-crann-bethadh-demo. It's Feasting guy's black metal side project (or return to black metal? he's pretty loose about what music he releases under what title).

Valac: https://valacnm.bandcamp.com/album/leaning-toward-bitter-misery. Yet another one man raw black metal project. Nothing truly exceptional in a style with a lack of quality control but it's solid.

Tape preorders still up here: https://www.appalachiannoiserecords.com/