Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

acup
Sep 11, 2001

I got Sworn's new album simply because of the recommendations, and I've just listened to the first song and god drat do they have some nasty riffs. This poo poo is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

acup posted:

I got Sworn's new album simply because of the recommendations, and I've just listened to the first song and god drat do they have some nasty riffs. This poo poo is awesome.

Their musicianship is pretty much why I ignore anyone crying they're not black enough. If the state of their grimness outweighs their playing the poo poo out of their instruments, I have nothing to talk about with that kind of mindset.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

What’s the general consensus on the Gorgoroth split?

I dont think them breaking up really matters much to anyone. They've been repeating themselves with every album for years to the point that even your average metal head hopes they do something different. Its sort of like darkthrone only darkthrone are more cheeky, sarcastic and drunken so at least theres redeeming qualities to the band.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Death Rotisserie posted:

This year has been pretty good for black metal so far. Sear Bliss put out another epic and melodic album, combining good guitarwork with amazing trombone leads and countermelodies.

I'm digging this aside from the overused keyboards. I've only heard their myspace songs but not too shabby. The trombone is either missing from or mixed low in those songs, so maybe a bigger dose of it will turn me off. If there's ever an instrument I don't associate at all with metal...

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 21, 2007

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I'm listening to 'Omen of Doom' on their Myspace right now and I'm pretty sure I hear the trombone. It's definitely a horn or a synth horn though I just assume it was the aforementioned trombone. It has a bit where it's upfront for a little while then it mixes back into the background (or at times appears to disappear entirely) then it comes back rinse repeat a few times.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006
The new darkthrone is called gently caress Off And Die. They're not even trying anymore but i guess being goofy is better than trying to be grim.

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker
Wrath of the Weak, Xasthur, Wolves in the Throne Room. Burzum.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

brightfield posted:

Wrath of the Weak, Xasthur, Wolves in the Throne Room. Burzum. (ha, ha)

Yep, those are the names of some BM bands.

GreggN
Mar 9, 2003

het posted:

Their newest, F.O.A.D., is also good though it's more old school metal-inspired than punk (granted a lot of those inspirations are thrash).

Weird, the album sounds like an un-political Amebix to me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DB_Cooper posted:

The new darkthrone is called gently caress Off And Die. They're not even trying anymore but i guess being goofy is better than trying to be grim.

They're actually making good music. Something most BM bands around now are failing so badly to do. It's nice to see them not turn to poo poo.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

IntoTheNihil posted:

They're actually making good music. Something most BM bands around now are failing so badly to do. It's nice to see them not turn to poo poo.

I definetly like their last couple records that went on a sort of punk detour along with the new one which is sort of a fun 80s homage.

People really got angsty over the punk albums but then again if you look into some of the very early BM (burzum comes to mind) theres definetly a punk sound in there. Maybe its just the sloppiness of playing or all the teenage anger.

Either way the current scene has deteriorated into mindless worship of kids recording on their 4 tracks in their parents basement and people calling it genius outsider bm (im looking at you aquarius records). I could blame xasthur for this but that would be to easy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DB_Cooper posted:

I definetly like their last couple records that went on a sort of punk detour along with the new one which is sort of a fun 80s homage.

People really got angsty over the punk albums but then again if you look into some of the very early BM (burzum comes to mind) theres definetly a punk sound in there. Maybe its just the sloppiness of playing or all the teenage anger.

Either way the current scene has deteriorated into mindless worship of kids recording on their 4 tracks in their parents basement and people calling it genius outsider bm (im looking at you aquarius records). I could blame xasthur for this but that would be to easy.

This post sums up my thoughts entirely. Any punk hating in the BM scene is ridiculous to the point of idiocy. At least respect how important punk music was to the genre.

About the scene, you nailed it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

brightfield posted:

i'm sure if you commented on a blabbermouth post with this you would show them all

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

i'm sure if you commented on a blabbermouth post with this you would show them all

I saw wolves open for Agalloch and just wondered "why are kids from washington playing emperor songs from nightside eclipse".

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

brightfield posted:

Apparently no-content posts are the next big thing so here's my input on the subject:

Terrible, terrible, terrible, okay

GreggN
Mar 9, 2003

DB_Cooper posted:

I saw wolves open for Agalloch and just wondered "why are kids from washington playing emperor songs from nightside eclipse".

Heh, from what I understand, they live on a hippie commune. Is this the case?

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

GreggN posted:

Joe from vendlus said something to that effect.

GreggN
Mar 9, 2003

Heh, same person I heard it from.

HorrorJunkie
Dec 12, 2006

My heart's as full as a baked potato!

The Goat Problem posted:

Limbonic Art is awesome. Anyone else love Vesania and 1349 as much as I do?

I love, love, love 1349 and think they do the whole blastbeat-crazy side of black metal very well. Not to mention Beyond the Apocalypse was one of my first black metal albums and definitely helped me to get into the genre as a whole. If you don't like Frost's drum fills in Nekronatalenheten, you aren't alive.

DB_Cooper
Nov 14, 2006

GreggN posted:

Heh, same person I heard it from.

I just remembered who you are hahah. Hows it going man?

<-- Lupus

scorch
Apr 12, 2006

la petite mort

DB_Cooper posted:

I agree here too. I thought the punk sound was a good change, but it's better to not stray to far from your original sound, for the sake of your fans.

scorch fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 24, 2007

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

GreggN posted:

They basically live in a small commune about 5 minutes from the mall in Olympia, WA and about 7 to 10 minutes from downtown. Not out in the middle of nowhere by any means but they are living on a group commune type farm.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

I am, how you say, Russian Guyovich

Morbid Florist posted:

I'm digging this aside from the overused keyboards. I've only heard their myspace songs but not too shabby. The trombone is either missing from or mixed low in those songs, so maybe a bigger dose of it will turn me off. If there's ever an instrument I don't associate at all with metal...

Try Glory and Perdition. I really don't notice the keyboards all that much.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

HorrorJunkie posted:

I love, love, love 1349 and think they do the whole blastbeat-crazy side of black metal very well.

I got told off (in a different thread) for liking 1349. Oh well, glad I'm not the only fan out there.

My god, Armada by Keep Of Kalessin is brilliant. Experimental and melodic in places, it still kicks my arse most satisfactorily.

On the subject of Wolves In The Throne Room's living arrangements:
"In a recent interview with Metal Maniacs, the band is vying for a completely organic, back-to-their-roots sort of lifestyle. They live together in a house in the woods, grow their own food, cultivate their own livestock and scorn the consumer-based traditions of the modern world. While they aren't completely self-sufficient as of yet, they're nearing their goal." (From a discussion in the best metal group I've found on Facebook so far.)

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

I LIKE TO KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY - WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE

spigotthebear posted:

Has any one heard the Lurker of Chalice CD? Great stuff extremely atmospheric black metal its a side project of Wrest.

It doesn't seem like too much of a side project anymore, since Wrest gave up Leviathan. Lurker of Chalice is great music though, so I won't complain.

Battle Kommand Records has a downloadable track from the next album (look in the "releases" section), Perverse Calculus, and it is indeed awesome. I guess it has somewhat more Leviathan in it in comparison to the previous album, but give it a listen!

Silencer, on the other hand, is pure dung, if you ask me. Sounds like the Nattramn guy tried his best to be Bethlehem, but failed horribly. For sick, depressing black metal, try Bethlehem's "Dictius Te Necare" or "S.U.i.Z.i.D." and be amazed.

Did anyone mention Funeral Mist? It's Arioch/Mortuus' band, but I guess it got put on hold due to his commitments with Marduk. Give the EP "Devilry" and the full-length "Salvation" a try.

Stop Motion Dong
Jun 11, 2007
Alright, needless to say, I am a black metal noob. I am new to the genre, and thus am looking for some recommendations. What are some "MUST LISTEN TO" Black metal albums/bands? Recommend away! :)
Thanks.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I got told off (in a different thread) for liking 1349. Oh well, glad I'm not the only fan out there.

My god, Armada by Keep Of Kalessin is brilliant. Experimental and melodic in places, it still kicks my arse most satisfactorily.

On the subject of Wolves In The Throne Room's living arrangements:
"In a recent interview with Metal Maniacs, the band is vying for a completely organic, back-to-their-roots sort of lifestyle. They live together in a house in the woods, grow their own food, cultivate their own livestock and scorn the consumer-based traditions of the modern world. While they aren't completely self-sufficient as of yet, they're nearing their goal." (From a discussion in the best metal group I've found on Facebook so far.)

Again "a house in the woods" is a bit of a misleading statement. Just a standard farm-type house with a barn and a smaller house off to the side right on a paved road that connects with a major road about half a mile down. Their commune is pretty cool though. I'm not sure on the total number of people they have living there but they have community meetings and all. They had the Nachtmystium / Skeletonwitch show at their commune and it was interesting. There was a huge group of people that showed up riding bicycles and just hung out around the big bonfire while the bands were playing inside.

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

Dehtraen posted:

They basically live in a small commune about 5 minutes from the mall in Olympia, WA and about 7 to 10 minutes from downtown. Not out in the middle of nowhere by any means but they are living on a group commune type farm.

Reading this thread has introduced me to Wolves in the Throne Room. They're alright. But I've lived in Olympia almost my entire life, and I never even heard of them... And this commune a number of the members of the band live at, I think I've driven past it.. But then again, I'm not sure. ha

If anyone knows of some good local (washington/oregon/british columbia) BM bands, let me know. I'm always excited to listen to local metal :black101:

More Gore fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 27, 2007

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Resistance posted:

Alright, needless to say, I am a black metal noob. I am new to the genre, and thus am looking for some recommendations. What are some "MUST LISTEN TO" Black metal albums/bands? Recommend away! :)
Thanks.

Immortal's Pure Holocaust is on iTunes for $6. Get it now.

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

Resistance posted:

Thanks.

newbies always welcome :)

A recommendation I have is Dark Funeral's "The Secret of the Black Arts" album. Awesome from beginning to end. And of course Immortal's "Sons of Northern Darkness". Both are kickass.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

More Gore posted:

Reading this thread has introduced me to Wolves in the Throne Room. They're alright. But I've lived in Olympia almost my entire life, and I never even heard of them... And this commune a number of the members of the band live at, I think I've driven past it.. But then again, I'm not sure. ha

If anyone knows of some good local (washington/oregon/british columbia) BM bands, let me know. I'm always excited to listen to local metal :black101:

If you get the chance to check out Fauna live you should do so. They're from Olympia as well. I caught one of their live shows at an abandoned building in Seattle 6 months ago and it was great. Ritualistic 2 Piece very pagan.

Check out some of these bands...

Blasphemy
Blood Of The Black Owl
Blood Ritual
Book Of Black Earth
Ceremonial Castings
Doom Lit Sky
Funeral Age
Funeral Dirge (Olympia)
In Memorium
Inquinok
Inquisition
Mysticism Black
Oakhelm (Folk / Celtic)
Sand
Serpens Aeon
Serpent Lord
Tormentium
Winter of Apokalypse

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

Dehtraen posted:

Check out some of these bands...

Thanks for the list! :buddy:
But I can't find Fauna anywhere, well at least not on myspace. A link would be greatly appreciated :)

(edit)
And Oh! Book of Black Earth rules. The drummer, his name's Joe or John or something, is amazing. He also drums for another band Skarp. They're super heavy. Not really black metal, but still worth listening to, for sure. (They're more grindcore).

More Gore fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 27, 2007

COCKISPOISON
Mar 13, 2007

More Gore posted:

(edit)
And Oh! Book of Black Earth rules. The drummer, his name's Joe or John or something, is amazing. He also drums for another band Skarp. They're super heavy. Not really black metal, but still worth listening to, for sure. (They're more grindcore).

His name is Joe, he's a raging rear end in a top hat, although the other folks in the band are a joy to host. We all partied when they were here in Oakland and were wonderful folks.

Skarp pretty much makes me want to die and I ended up roadying for another band that was on tour with them. I made sure that I was outside in the van whenever they were playing.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

COCKISPOISON posted:

His name is Joe, he's a raging rear end in a top hat, although the other folks in the band are a joy to host. We all partied when they were here in Oakland and were wonderful folks.

Skarp pretty much makes me want to die and I ended up roadying for another band that was on tour with them. I made sure that I was outside in the van whenever they were playing.

Hm, that sucks to hear. Regardless, I still like both bands. And most bands usually have "that guy".

But whats wrong with Skarp? I've seen em 5 times in Seattle and they tore it up every time!

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

More Gore posted:

Thanks for the list! :buddy:
But I can't find Fauna anywhere, well at least not on myspace. A link would be greatly appreciated :)

(edit)
They're very anti-internet as I understand it. They have recordings of two different rituals with excellent packaging out there. It is all hand done with intricate designs and such. They usually do a show downtown at the Manium or someplace around for the Solstice, I believe. I will ask around though.

Book Of Black Earth gets a ton of flack as they don't all look black metal. Interesting assortment of people in that band - very, very diverse.

COCKISPOISON posted:

Really? That's disappointing to hear. He's always been a good person to me and to others up here.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Resistance posted:

Thanks.

Windir - 1184

The rest will fall into place.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

alkali posted:

Did anyone mention Funeral Mist? It's Arioch/Mortuus' band, but I guess it got put on hold due to his commitments with Marduk. Give the EP "Devilry" and the full-length "Salvation" a try.

I will second Funeral Mist, as well as the older project Triumphator. I think Mortuus has a really nice vibe to his vocals which makes him easily identifiable, plus his stage presence is pretty drat majestic to boot.

My favourite black metal albums of this year have been "Folk gently caress Foliery" from Peste Noire and "Solemn March Into The Ragnarok" from Volh (that WAS released this year, wasn't it?). I really like the mix on the Frenchmen's album, and the slight echo to the vocals on tracks like "Condamné À La Pondaison (Légende Funèbre)" is really what ultimately sells it for me. As far as Volh goes, they're pretty much my first real glimpse at the Russian BM scene apart from Butterfly Temple, and I really like the album as far as first impressions go. "Let Shine In The Spears Of Valkyries" is a great, great song.

Also, to hop on the recommendations bandwagon, is there any Mediterranean BM as great as Greece's Uranus?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Bushmeister posted:

I think Mortuus has a really nice vibe to his vocals which makes him easily identifiable, plus his stage presence is pretty drat majestic to boot.

He certainly didn't put much effort into what D&D name to use. What a blatant ripoff.

crapjack
Aug 1, 2005
Hey man, hit this shit!

Bushmeister posted:

I will second Funeral Mist, as well as the older project Triumphator. I think Mortuus has a really nice vibe to his vocals which makes him easily identifiable, plus his stage presence is pretty drat majestic to boot.

Mortuus has the best black metal vocals in my opinion. I know that he uses effects in his songs quite a bit, but he just sounds so pissed and huge. I'm already a fan of Funeral Mist, Triumphator, and Marduk... does he have any other projects that I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

I LIKE TO KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY - WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE

crapjack posted:

Mortuus has the best black metal vocals in my opinion. I know that he uses effects in his songs quite a bit, but he just sounds so pissed and huge. I'm already a fan of Funeral Mist, Triumphator, and Marduk... does he have any other projects that I'm missing?

I don't think he's in any other bands. At least not that I've heard of.

But hot drat, yeah. The latest Marduk album is great, with spectacular vocals by Arioch. Pissed and huge are quite appropriate words for it, haha.