Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
As far as newer black metal, I'd really to sound my appreciation for the IXXI recommendation in the previous thread. They're a great blend of black/thrash/industrial/black n' roll. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

Dehtraen posted:

They're very anti-internet as I understand it. They have recordings of two different rituals with excellent packaging out there. It is all hand done with intricate designs and such. They usually do a show downtown at the Manium or someplace around for the Solstice, I believe. I will ask around though.

Well that would make sense (the anti-internet part). I am really interested now though! haha

quantumdots
Apr 26, 2004

More Gore posted:

Reading this thread has introduced me to Wolves in the Throne Room. They're alright. But I've lived in Olympia almost my entire life, and I never even heard of them... And this commune a number of the members of the band live at, I think I've driven past it.. But then again, I'm not sure. ha

If anyone knows of some good local (washington/oregon/british columbia) BM bands, let me know. I'm always excited to listen to local metal :black101:

Ceremonial Castings are from Battle Ground, WA, and if you like Emperor-ish BM with lots of keys, they are pretty good. And of course Agalloch is from Portland and they pretty much rule as well.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Sirius Sam posted:

How do people feel about Crystal Abyss's new album Word Of The Darkest Ages and Walknut's Graveforests And Their Shadows? I've had Walknut's album spinning since I it got a couple weeks ago, and it is amazing in my opinion. So is the new Crystal Abyss. This has been a good year for melodic BM.

Walknut's new album is pretty awesome and I need to find more black metal like them.

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

quantumdots posted:

Ceremonial Castings are from Battle Ground, WA, and if you like Emperor-ish BM with lots of keys, they are pretty good. And of course Agalloch is from Portland and they pretty much rule as well.

Oh man. Ceremonial Castings rule. I'm listening to them right now. Thanks for that :downs:

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Ceremonial Castings don't sound anything like Emperor to me. Great band though, much better live too. "Spellforest" has a sort of Emperor / Borknagar thing going on. Check them out if you can.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
Has anyone here heard of Kromlek? I stumbled upon them a few days ago, and I'm surprised they haven't gotten much attention anywhere. They're basically a German black metal/folk band, and I can't get enough of them.

My favorites by them are Grim Omens and Strandhagg parts 1-3. I can't find anything for Grim Omens, but here's part 2 of Strandhagg live: http://youtube.com/watch?v=a6-hiA29hNw

Anyways, my black metal is seriously lacking when compared to my collection of other genres. My collection has most of the stuff by Arcturus, Emperor, Dissection, Empyrium, Summoning, Ulver, Windir, Moonsorrow, Primordial, Bathory, early Satyricon, early Dimmu Borgir, and Wolves in the Throne Room. I'm already looking into some of the bands posted about, but I'm sure I am missing some must-haves from the genre. Anyone mind filling the gaps? I know there's a song recommendation thread, but based on the size of this thread, there's probably not a big enough black metal following to get a good reply from that thread.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Morbid Florist posted:

Windir - 1184

The rest will fall into place.
This was the album that got me into black metal and I will wholeheartedly second this recommendation.

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 23, 2020

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~
I am posting here kind of as a last resort since other threads were extremely unhelpful. I really have no knowledge whatsoever of black metal but I'm really into the band Alcest. I really like the new album though which I guess is pretty much entirely not black metal and is pretty far removed from their older stuff. Is there anything else that sounds like that? I love stuff like Jesu or this where it can be really heavy but still melodic and I guess more shoegaze influenced. If nothing else it could just be the vocals, because even when Alcest were shredding like the dickens the vocals were still very wispy and not like, I dunno, Burzum or whatever.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Lifelover, Amesoeurs, Joyless and I guess maybe LIK and Zaratustra is the sort of thing you're looking for. It's entirely possible you may like bethlehem as well.
If you feel at a later time you can stomach the vocals you may also like Mortifera and Celestia. And even if you don't, I'd still suggest you at least check out Fleurety's A Darker Shade of Evil EP.

To be honest, since black metal these days seems to be full mostly of trend-following money grabbers there should be plenty depressive rock/shoegaze/black metal albums out in the future anyway.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 29, 2007

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

HamsterHuey posted:

I am posting here kind of as a last resort since other threads were extremely unhelpful. I really have no knowledge whatsoever of black metal but I'm really into the band Alcest. I really like the new album though which I guess is pretty much entirely not black metal and is pretty far removed from their older stuff. Is there anything else that sounds like that? I love stuff like Jesu or this where it can be really heavy but still melodic and I guess more shoegaze influenced. If nothing else it could just be the vocals, because even when Alcest were shredding like the dickens the vocals were still very wispy and not like, I dunno, Burzum or whatever.

Agalloch are possibly a good bet too. If you can stomach the vocals.

I saw Marduk last night - they were quite fun. Mortuus kind of shuffled around like an evil ghost. :)

Also, Fekthreroenuerm might be the most kvlt band ever.

Fekthreroenuerm's MySpace posted:

About FEKTHREROENUERM
Fekthreroenuerm is a black metal band from Lithuania. They only released one demo in 1987, "Conquering The Satanic Dominion Between Spectral Storms" and only 13 official copies were pressed and released (although a myriad of bootlegs have been made). Their song "Under the Soulless Luciferian Moonlit Death Mountain" is prime example of the coldness that represented the first wave of Lithuanian NSBM of which this band was the forerunner.

"Conquering The Satanic Dominion Between Spectral Storms" features two vocalists because in the middle of their recording process, the original vocalist killed himself.

FEKTHREROENUERM's Friend Space
FEKTHREROENUERM has 0 friends.

Hahahaha

E:

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Anyways, my black metal is seriously lacking when compared to my collection of other genres. My collection has most of the stuff by Arcturus, Emperor, Dissection, Empyrium, Summoning, Ulver, Windir, Moonsorrow, Primordial, Bathory, early Satyricon, early Dimmu Borgir, and Wolves in the Throne Room. I'm already looking into some of the bands posted about, but I'm sure I am missing some must-haves from the genre. Anyone mind filling the gaps?

Immortal?

EvilMoJoJoJo fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 29, 2007

astounding_zlatan
Apr 27, 2003
---

astounding_zlatan fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 23, 2020

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Gr31lly posted:

shoegaze

I am extremely happy I have no idea what the gently caress kind of music this could include, because it sounds like it would be the gayest poo poo in history. "so awesome your feet will seem interesting"

Windir

As a total fanboi, let me point you in the direction of Sworn, Iskald, Mistur, Sigtyr, Vreid, Galar....off the top of my head that should keep you busy for a while.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 29, 2007

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazing

pugna posted:

That Fekthreroenuerm myspace is incredible. Although I think it's a joke.

All these stupid fake BM bands need to stop. Impaled Northern Moonforest was funny but that's about it.

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

HamsterHuey posted:

I have a band you might enjoy. Chthonic is their name. Taiwanese BM. I saw them at Ozzfest this year and they were REALLY good. When they came out on stage, they were all around 5'5", and I'm sure everyone in the crowd was like, "Who the hell are these little guys?! (+ one girl on bass)" But then the first song they played, the lead singer just let out this horrifyingly long screech and everyone was into them for the rest of their set. Like I said, it was REALLY good. haha

As for that "shoegaze" aspect that you want, the girl in the band does backing vocals that are very melodic. And another member of the band plays an Erhu which adds a lot to the overall melodic feel. And there is a ton of synth and whatnot as well.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

Wow. I underestimated how lovely this would be. It's so boring even the loving band is half asleep on stage.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Has anyone here heard of Kromlek? I stumbled upon them a few days ago, and I'm surprised they haven't gotten much attention anywhere. They're basically a German black metal/folk band, and I can't get enough of them.
Yeah, they're really great. You should check out their first EP Kveldridhur, the track Kromlek off of that is arguably their best song, but I thought their 2007 LP Strange Rumours... Distant Tremors was very good too, and branched out a little bit (the production makes it a lot more epic). They're really the best band in terms of taking the Finntroll humppa metal formula and doing something interesting with it without losing too much of the rollicking fun of it. Korpiklaani's good but I like how Kromlek use more elaborate composition.

Morbid Florist posted:

I am extremely happy I have no idea what the gently caress kind of music this could include, because it sounds like it would be the gayest poo poo in history. "so awesome your feet will seem interesting"
Jesus Christ, we get it, you're a closed minded rear end in a top hat. Nobody loving cares.

Gr31lly posted:

Lifelover, Amesoeurs, Joyless and I guess maybe LIK and Zaratustra is the sort of thing you're looking for. It's entirely possible you may like bethlehem as well.
I'll have to check Joyless. I like Lifelover and Amesoeurs a lot (though I imagine when there's new Amesoeurs material released they'll bear even less resemblance to black metal than Alcest or Lifelover).

Tim Curry Favor
Apr 3, 2005

~*your troubles are all the same*~

Morbid Florist posted:

Wow. I underestimated how lovely this would be. It's so boring even the loving band is half asleep on stage.

So is this like a gimmick of yours or are you really just an idiot or something?

Anyway thanks to those who offered some recommendations. I checked out every one I could find and oddly enough I enjoyed Agalloch the most despite the vocals which seem kind of out of place for music that is all mainly major key and pretty pleasant sounding. Amesoeurs was pretty good too though I guess I could have figured I'd enjoy that since it's another Neige project.

Musically I like a lot of this stuff but the vocals are just so unnecessary.. I guess that's why I'm not a metalhead v:frogbon:v

Nova Bizzare
Jun 2, 2006

...and it made me smile.

Morbid Florist posted:

I was going to agree with you, but I see I saved myself some "Your opinion is retarded you closed minded dick!!" comments.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Man, I can't wait for the new Taake and Leviathan albums! Apparently the Leviathan album has been done for a while, but Moribund is just sitting on it for some reason... HURRY UP!

Xynobia posted:

This is more of a Recommendations Thread question, but you guys will be more to the point...

So I want to get into Darkthrone but don't know where to begin, and I'm told that their early/mid/late periods are all very different (aren't they like a crust punk band now?). Is the only route in A Blaze In the Northern Sky, or is there another door to take? I'm not huge into BM in general, so anything that's super lo-fi or cheesy is probably a bad route. Punk or death inspired is good. Help?

I would say start out with Ravishing Grimness. The whole album is just so drat catchy!

4001 Dicks In Mouth
Aug 1, 2003

moflika posted:

Man, I can't wait for the new Taake and Leviathan albums! Apparently the Leviathan album has been done for a while, but Moribund is just sitting on it for some reason... HURRY UP!

It looks like Leviathan is probably dead, I think the new album (along with the Nachtmystium split) will be released under the Lurker of Chalice name.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

moflika posted:

I saw Odin about two weeks ago and forgot to ask him what the deal was with that. Too bad I see him once every 8 months when he brings the Moribund Distro out to a show.

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

I LIKE TO KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY - WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE

Xynobia posted:

This is more of a Recommendations Thread question, but you guys will be more to the point...

So I want to get into Darkthrone but don't know where to begin, and I'm told that their early/mid/late periods are all very different (aren't they like a crust punk band now?). Is the only route in A Blaze In the Northern Sky, or is there another door to take? I'm not huge into BM in general, so anything that's super lo-fi or cheesy is probably a bad route. Punk or death inspired is good. Help?

If death inspired is good, then there is no other album to start with than their first, Soulside Journey. Awesome, occult-sounding death metal. They've never topped it, and it's the only Darkthrone album I think is great.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Have you heard ABiTNS?

brightfield
Nov 22, 2007

by Earwicker

Anyways, my black metal is seriously lacking when compared to my collection of other genres. My collection has most of the stuff by Arcturus, Emperor, Dissection, Empyrium, Summoning, Ulver, Windir, Moonsorrow, Primordial, Bathory, early Satyricon, early Dimmu Borgir, and Wolves in the Throne Room. I'm already looking into some of the bands posted about, but I'm sure I am missing some must-haves from the genre. Anyone mind filling the gaps? I know there's a song recommendation thread, but based on the size of this thread, there's probably not a big enough black metal following to get a good reply from that thread.

You've got Burzum, right? If you're missing that, then you need to get your hands on some of the older albums. Wolves in the Throne Room (and many other modern bm bands) are heavily influenced by Burzum.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

het posted:

Jesus Christ, we get it, you're a closed minded rear end in a top hat. Nobody loving cares.

Jesus Christ, we get it, you have to comment on every post you don't like, grow the gently caress up and put me on ignore if you don't like it.

Nova Bizzare posted:

I was going to agree with you, but I see I saved myself some "Your opinion is retarded you closed minded dick!!" comments.

HamsterHuey posted:

So is this like a gimmick of yours or are you really just an idiot or something?

Ah god bless the internet, where everyone's opinion is wrong but your own :rolleyes:
Why don't both of you ignore list me too, we have nothing to talk about.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 30, 2007

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Morbid Florist posted:

Jesus Christ, we get it, you have to comment on every post you don't like, grow the gently caress up and put me on ignore if you don't like it.
In general, I don't really see much benefit to, when someone's talking about a band or style you've never heard of, going "ugh, sounds gay" or something like that. If the thread were overrun with people going on about Alcest, I could certainly see speaking up and adding a counterpoint, but in general, whether you like a band or consider them valid really doesn't add much unless you want to actually have a deeper discussion than "they suck" "no they don't".

This is how you make a forum better. The way you make it worse is by ignoring lovely posts and not separating the wheat from the chaff.

quote:

Ah god bless the internet, where everyone's opinion is wrong but your own :rolleyes:
Why don't both of you ignore list me too, we have nothing to talk about.
Nova Bizarre was agreeing with you.

IntoTheNihil posted:

Have you heard ABiTNS?
eh I can definitely see why someone whose tastes ran more towards death metal than black metal would prefer Soulside Journey over all their others.

Gr31lly posted:

To be honest, since black metal these days seems to be full mostly of trend-following money grabbers there should be plenty depressive rock/shoegaze/black metal albums out in the future anyway.
What I'm really hoping for is that there'll be some bands that will cop Amesoeurs' "urban black metal" sound (as Neige put it) from the first two tracks of Ruines Humaines since their future stuff is going to be more along the lines of Faiblesse des Sens (not that I don't love that track and eagerly anticipate the next Amesoeurs release).

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Could any of you guys recommend any black metal with a sense of humor? Darkthrone's FOAD and December Wolves' Blasterpiece Theater were great, and I'm hoping there are more albums like those.

Goddamn, Canadian Metal is catchy.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Bovineicide posted:

Could any of you guys recommend any black metal with a sense of humor? Darkthrone's FOAD and December Wolves' Blasterpiece Theater were great, and I'm hoping there are more albums like those.

Well, Darkthrone's The Cult is Alive strikes me as pretty silly sometimes with songs like Graveyard Slut (I think Fenriz did vocals on that) and Too Old, Too Cold.

Nothing to prove, just a hellish rock and roll freak... :black101: :haw:

Graveworm did a very silly black metal cover of REM's "Losing My Religion" that is absolutely fantastic if you can find it.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Bovineicide posted:

Immortal can be pretty funny though I'm not sure its intentional.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

dxt posted:

Immortal can be pretty funny though I'm not sure its intentional.

I'd take Immortal's later releases as being heavily tongue-in-cheek, ESPECIALLY 'Sons Of Northern Darkness'. I really think that their intention is not to be overtly serious with the lyrics and the subject matter and just rip out some good music and to have some fun.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

het posted:

Nova Bizarre was agreeing with you.

My mistake

Street Butler posted:

Well, Darkthrone's The Cult is Alive strikes me as pretty silly sometimes with songs like Graveyard Slut (I think Fenriz did vocals on that) and Too Old, Too Cold.

I didn't know FOAD wasn't their first To-11 album! Was Cult the same style as FOAD or was it a progression step towards it?

edit: meaning can I expect more songs like "Raised on Rock/FOAD/Canadian Metal" or were they working up to that level of awesome?

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 30, 2007

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Bushmeister posted:

I'd take Immortal's later releases as being heavily tongue-in-cheek, ESPECIALLY 'Sons Of Northern Darkness'. I really think that their intention is not to be overtly serious with the lyrics and the subject matter and just rip out some good music and to have some fun.

Yeah, any song with the lyrics "these mountains which I heart" can't be anything other than silly. But that is an incredible album.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Morbid Florist posted:

My mistake

I didn't know FOAD wasn't their first To-11 album! Was Cult the same style as FOAD or was it a progression step towards it?

edit: meaning can I expect more songs like "Raised on Rock/FOAD/Canadian Metal" or were they working up to that level of awesome?

It's got an almost crust punk like sound to it. It's definitely worth checking out if you love FOAD.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Morbid Florist posted:

My mistake

Cult was the last album before FOAD. You can expect songs like "Shut Up", "Graveyard Slut", "Too Old Too Cold", and "Whisky Funeral" among others. I'd definitely recommend it.

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

het posted:

What I'm really hoping for is that there'll be some bands that will cop Amesoeurs' "urban black metal" sound (as Neige put it) from the first two tracks of Ruines Humaines since their future stuff is going to be more along the lines of Faiblesse des Sens (not that I don't love that track and eagerly anticipate the next Amesoeurs release).

WOW. I'm listening to Amesoeurs right now. It's amazing. Thank you for this!

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006
It really kind of makes me mad that everyone who's mentioned Wolves In the Throne Room's newest album has made some sort of disclaimer that people here don't/won't like it, haha. I think it's a really loving solid album, regardless of what hipsters namedrop them and DSO/Alcest these days, IMO it's still fuckin' great.

And yeah, Amouseurs is loving amazing, have they put anything out besides that little EP, yet?

What's everyones opinion on Celestia? I downloaded Apparitia - A Sumptous Spectre completely on a whim, a few years ago, just because it sounded "tr00", haha, and it's seriously one of my favorite BM albums, probably ever. If you haven't heard it, it sounds like the soundtrack to transylvania in the 1900s(not in the darkthrone way, think the black and white dracula movies), but really really catchy. So good, IMO.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

modernlifeisadam posted:

And yeah, Amouseurs is loving amazing, have they put anything out besides that little EP, yet?

I'm pretty sure all that's out is that EP which is unfortunate because there really needs to be more releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Street Butler posted:

Nothing to prove, just a hellish rock and roll freak... :black101: :haw:

Graveworm did a very silly black metal cover of REM's "Losing My Religion" that is absolutely fantastic if you can find it.

That sounds like it could be an awesome cover. Thanks for the suggestion!