Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

I LIKE TO KEEP IT IN THE FAMILY - WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE

spigotthebear posted:

Has any one heard the Lurker of Chalice CD? Great stuff extremely atmospheric black metal its a side project of Wrest.

It doesn't seem like too much of a side project anymore, since Wrest gave up Leviathan. Lurker of Chalice is great music though, so I won't complain.

Battle Kommand Records has a downloadable track from the next album (look in the "releases" section), Perverse Calculus, and it is indeed awesome. I guess it has somewhat more Leviathan in it in comparison to the previous album, but give it a listen!

Silencer, on the other hand, is pure dung, if you ask me. Sounds like the Nattramn guy tried his best to be Bethlehem, but failed horribly. For sick, depressing black metal, try Bethlehem's "Dictius Te Necare" or "S.U.i.Z.i.D." and be amazed.

Did anyone mention Funeral Mist? It's Arioch/Mortuus' band, but I guess it got put on hold due to his commitments with Marduk. Give the EP "Devilry" and the full-length "Salvation" a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

crapjack posted:

Mortuus has the best black metal vocals in my opinion. I know that he uses effects in his songs quite a bit, but he just sounds so pissed and huge. I'm already a fan of Funeral Mist, Triumphator, and Marduk... does he have any other projects that I'm missing?

I don't think he's in any other bands. At least not that I've heard of.

But hot drat, yeah. The latest Marduk album is great, with spectacular vocals by Arioch. Pissed and huge are quite appropriate words for it, haha.

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

Xynobia posted:

This is more of a Recommendations Thread question, but you guys will be more to the point...

So I want to get into Darkthrone but don't know where to begin, and I'm told that their early/mid/late periods are all very different (aren't they like a crust punk band now?). Is the only route in A Blaze In the Northern Sky, or is there another door to take? I'm not huge into BM in general, so anything that's super lo-fi or cheesy is probably a bad route. Punk or death inspired is good. Help?

If death inspired is good, then there is no other album to start with than their first, Soulside Journey. Awesome, occult-sounding death metal. They've never topped it, and it's the only Darkthrone album I think is great.

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

IntoTheNihil posted:

Have you heard ABiTNS?

Are you talking to me?
Yeah, of course I have.

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

Richard Blaine posted:

I'm hoping for some metal suggestions. I really really liked Therion - Secret of the Runes and Otyg and Lumsk. Any other bands like that - sort of folk/viking metal with epic themes? Anything in English like this that is good?

You should definitely check out Ásmegin! They have the really folkish theme going, but lots of extremity at the same time. Also, the singer from Solefald/Age of Silence did a lot of vocals on the only album they've released so far. Great stuff. Seems like he's no longer in the band, though.

I think you can find some samples on their website, http://www.asmegin.com

See if you like it.

Edit: I guess you could try Ensiferum too. Not half bad. http://www.myspace.com/officialensiferum

alkali fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 13, 2007

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

Drunken Lullabies posted:

[...] Green Carnation [...} I can't guarantee anything though -- I'm really bad at suggestions.

Green Carnation won't do at all if he's looking for something similar to WitTR, so yeah, that suggestion is a little off.

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

Street Butler posted:

I just recently got into Taake and Wigrid and am having a hell of a time finding albums, but can anyone recommend anything that sounds like either of them?

Hmm. You could try Windir, I guess. Kind of comparable to Taake, but I haven't heard Wigrid. Take a listen to the Arntor album.

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

Street Butler posted:

Also, can anyone recommend any BM with acoustic guitar in it? Based on what I've heard of Peste Noire (just the song "Phalènes Et Pestilence - Salvatrice Averse") I like that style a lot and I'd like to hear more acoustic guitars in black metal.

I haven't heard much Peste Noire, and this may not be quite what you're looking for, but if you haven't already heard it, try Ulver - Bergtatt. Incredibly atmospheric and eerie. Possibly my favourite black metal album.

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

Diseased Yak posted:

So I'm getting caught up on some black metal stuff lately. Listened to Azaghal's Omega and loved it, and I snagged Darkthrone's Frostland Tapes, which marks my first exposure to this band. Apparently, this set is all their old demo stuff and some other early stuff after that. So far, it's really impressing me! Some almost doom-ish riffs going on, horrid production values (seriously, sounds like they recorded these in their living room and/or barn, which is probably not far from the truth) that somehow add to rather than take away from the experience, and just all around badassery. Very raw, very awesome.

In looking the band up, I see early in this thread high praise for FOAD, which I will now search out. What other albums by these guys should I get? If their later stuff is as good as the early, I'm in for a treat.

The newest albums sound like a totally different band. They've moved from death metal through black metal to some sort of black n' roll. If you enjoy the Frostland Tapes, your safest bet is Soulside Journey and Goatlord.

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

Reviving thread to say that Gaahl is a homo!

http://www.nettavisen.no/innenriks/ibergen/article2086056.ece

An article in a Norwegian online news site has published an interview with Gorgoroth singer Gaahl and a modelling agent, or whatever. Basically, they explain how they got a close relationship, and how Gaahl often told the dude he had warm feelings for him. Now they've created a clothes collection for women.

Headline reads "I was crazy about Dan" (De Vero, the agent).

e: Oh, and before someone goes "everybody knew this" - I know there has been rumours and "sightings", but this just kind of makes it a bit more official.

alkali fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 24, 2008

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

- This strongly contrasts your role as a front person in Gorgoroth, so how did those around you react to this?

- Those who know me didn't think it was particularly strange. I don't care what people in general think. I won't change as a person just because there are a few dresses out in the world. Besides, I like to confuse people, Espedal says with a laugh.

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

pugna posted:

Can someone translate that interview in full? Pretty pretty please.

Blabbermouth has it translated.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=101511

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkali
Jul 20, 2006

You're not. :)