Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

I am, how you say, Russian Guyovich
This year has been pretty good for black metal so far. Sear Bliss put out another epic and melodic album, combining good guitarwork with amazing trombone leads and countermelodies.

Anaal Nathrakh went down a peg, I think, but it's still really solid. I was curious to see in what direction they were going after Eschaton, as it's easily one of the most extreme metal albums I've ever heard (up there with Watchmaker), but their new one was less extreme. Seems like they're trying to make themselves more easily accessible without losing too much edge.

Deathspell Omega's newest was a tiny bit worse than SMRC and Kenose, but it's still easily in my top 10 albums of the year. I love their dissonant sound, but on their new album, it seemed that they were almost too incoherent at times.

Lifelover - Erotik. I love it when black metal is combined with other genres. So many metal fans hate black metal, when it's easily one of the most versatile styles out there. Lifelover combines black metal with depressive/gothic/post-ish rock with poppy shoegaze moments to paint a modern, urban black metal landscape.

Already mentioned before by others were the new Wolves in the Throne Room and Walknut. They're also among my favorites for this year so far.

Church Bizarre put out their first LP this year. Really sick first-wave influenced black metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

Morbid Florist posted:

I'm digging this aside from the overused keyboards. I've only heard their myspace songs but not too shabby. The trombone is either missing from or mixed low in those songs, so maybe a bigger dose of it will turn me off. If there's ever an instrument I don't associate at all with metal...

Try Glory and Perdition. I really don't notice the keyboards all that much.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

I haven't been listening to too much new BM (I haven't heard anything of note come out this year so far), I have been spinning two albums a lot on my iPod.

Bergraven - Dodsvisioner

Here's a mini review I posted somewhere else:
Ambient, "depressive" modern black metal, ambient post-black metal, whatever you wanna call it, this album is definitely a gem for any fan of black metal released in the past decade. Released on Total Holocaust Records in Europe... and Hydra Head in the US (drat hipsters), you can already guess that it's not gonna be typical 2nd wave aggro/minimalist BM (loving Pitchfork reviewed it, ugh), however, compared to some of the other "hipster-friendly" black metal that's come out recently, this one's through and through black loving metal. It has a bit of a post-rock aesthetic, but the post rock in this album is completely negligible or not even existent. It's doomy, riff-laden (like Swedish BM typically is), a bit dissonant (similarly to Deathspell Omega), and incredibly ambient, with haunting melodies soaring above (reminds me a bit of a couple songs off of Blut Aus Nord's Ultima Thulee); black metal that's just my loving style.

Hail - Inheritance of Evilness

Awesome first-wave influenced BM that brings the riffs with a lot of doom and some death influences.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

Gr31lly posted:

Being reviewed on Pitchfork does not necessarily make a band bad

Pitchfork totally underrated Bergraven's last album from last year. Probably too much black metal and dark ambient and not enough "shoegaze" influence.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

Darkspace - Dark Space III is out and it's the best BM album I've heard thus far this year. Ambient as hell but there are some loving killer riffs in here; totally unexpected.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

So it appears that the new Nachtmystium album, Assassins: Black Meddle, Pt. 1 has leaked. I'm pretty damned well impressed thus far with it. I believe several of the tracks can also be previewed on their myspace page.

I thought it was pretty terrible. I couldn't even finish the album.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

Gvaz posted:

Is anyone here in love with the LLN type music? I can't get enough of their stuff, its so creepy.

I think LLN was a huge joke that everyone was in on except Mutiilation and Vlad Tepes. They're the only ones who seem to have released sincere attempts at music (hell, some Mutiilation is good) unlike the laughable farce of a band Brenoritvrezorkre.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

Noktorn posted:

So from someone's who's heard the album, how horrible is Krallice on a scale of 1-10, with one being the worst and ten being the worst.

Horrible? On the contrary; this album is loving phenomenal. So far, 2008 has sucked for black metal releases, this and the new Arckanum LP, "Antikosmos" are the only one's I've heard that have been very excellent.

Fans of Deathspell Omega and Weakling/Wolves in the Throne Room should enjoy this album; it has the dissonance of DSO's newer works without the religious nihilism and the epic and organic feel of Wealking/WitTR. Fantastic basswork. It's pretty minimal but it's subtle in helping create the great chord progressions and chord resolutions this album has. And there's a bit of a shoegazey atmosphere without making the music feel blatantly or overtly hipster.

So on a scale from 0-10, 0 being worthless and 10 being as close to perfection as possible, this album gets a 9 from me. It's probably gonna be the best BM album of the year for me.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

cryme posted:

hipster black metal is the poo poo that gets featured on aquarius records' site

They have the tendency to make every album sound amazing though only less than a quarter of those albums are even worth listening.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

Not Very Metal posted:

You're forgetting one crucial piece of equipment:

I'd say it's more along the lines of:

Though I do like Burzum. One of the few early BM acts whose music still holds up.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

Fistful of Lotion posted:

Now I've got a question, do you guys switch genres a lot? Sometimes I find myself getting horribly jaded over black metal and I have to listen to other things for a while. What are your listening habits, if this is an appropriate place to ask.

I don't listen to exclusively black metal, nor do I usually listen to just one genre in phases. I'll typically play a mix of black/death/grind/sludge/doom. Though I've had a boner for 80s US power metal for the past few months, so I've tossed that in a lot in the mix.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

Giudecca posted:

While I prefer death metal and grindcore, it tends to have a lot more closed-minded fans. People who are into black metal are usually into ambient and electronic stuff a lot too.

Eh, I don't think that's a true generalization. I could say something similar about death and grind fans. A lot of those fans are also punk fans. A lot of black metal fans are into nothing but orthodox black metal.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

Ickyzor posted:

So it's very likely that I will be interviewing Watain when they come through town tomorrow, and I'm pretty drat excited. I already have a few pages of questions prepared, but I'm curious if anyone has anything in particular they would like me to ask them.

You caught the Chicago show? How was the indie pop band that opened for them?
http://www.myspace.com/wallydogger
I can't completely say that I can't believe these guys were supposed to open for Watain, but ugh what a complete non sequitur.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

The new Lifelover album's been released. I think I'll like it at least as much as Erotik.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Are there any black metal bands like Wolves in the Throne Room that don't come with that particular brand of hipster-pretentious faggotry?

Krallice.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

krustster posted:

Just curious, what does "hipster faggotry" consist of in a black metal context anyway? Does that just mean that Pitchfork likes them or what? (honest question)

Purists will poo poo on black metal that has any modicum of non-BM influence like post-rock or shoegaze. If it's slight, they won't notice but once you attach a band with an elitist attitude and a douchebag, remotely hipster ideology (like WitTR, and pretty much every single orthodox BM band ever; there's little difference, ironically), the music becomes hipster. That and if hipsters like it.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

Heh, Ruines Humaines was probably my favorite 2006 release.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

DB_Cooper posted:

I've gone from finding 5 or 6 really good albums a year to maybe 1 or 2.

You either have pickier tastes than I do or you haven't been listening to enough music. Unless you're referring to black metal, which has been pretty lackluster for the past couple years. Death metal and traditional doom have made a bit of a rise on my radar in the past couple years.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

The new Wolves In The Throne Room is lovely poo poo. It validates everything all the haters have been saying in this thread.

Doesn't surprise me. I'll stick with everything Diadem and prior.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

The new Absu's pretty good. The songwriting's not as good as Tara but Proscriptor's fixed the production; it actually has mids and lows instead of that overproduced treble in Tara.

The new Blut Aus Nord is loving fantastic. I was doubtful that Vindisval could put out a successor to Memoria Vetusta I but having listen to this album about half a dozen times, it really does feel like MVII. Definitely top 10 of 2009 material.

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

Well I've hit this thread up (and SA, for that matter) for the first time since the beginning of February and looks like I haven't missed poo poo in terms of good releases this year. Haven't heard anything worthwhile outside of the new BAN and Arckanum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Rotisserie
Sep 9, 2006

Potential BFF posted:

The new Immortal isn't bad but the only song that really sticks out with me is Arctic Swarm.

Pretty much, but the fact that I'm listening to this and headbanging along to it really exceeded my expectations.