Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Foremost I'm not a musician, but I hang out with a lot of them, and if I misused any semantics I apologize.

I've been a supporter of Dimmu for years. I think their best work started with ICS Vortex's joining the band, which is often the point that the even older, 'more real' Dimmu fans argue when they went to poo poo. The way Vortex's clean vocals offset Shagrath impacted me the most. I could probably emulate some bullshit Pitchfork Media review and try to clinically itinerize the reason why I think it sounds good, but I'm just going to leave it at that.
Spiritual Black Dimensions and Puritanical Misanthropic Euphoria are my two favorite albums of theirs, and of any band's. They both have the distinguishing point that they are albums I can listen to from front to back without skipping tracks. DCA has a couple of my favorite tracks of theirs of their career, but still has a couple songs that are kind of boring- and who knows what the gently caress happened with ISD.

And now we have 'Abrahadabra'. I think the name is a warning. It sounds like something a kid would shout while performing a parlor trick they bought in a plastic baggie at Spencer's. I have given this album start-to-finish listens almost daily since I got it, and I have arrived at a very disappointing verdict- it's awful.

It starts GOOD though! I like the orchestral stuff. I like what they've done in the past- the intro from PME, Eradication Instincts Defined (which I believe features their previous use of a full, real orchestra) from DCA, I love those examples. Xibir starts things out with a moody, creepy, darkly atmospheric feel. This had put me in mind of PME when I first heard it, and I became very optimistic.
Then, 'Born Treacherous'. Not very catchy, for a title, and it sounded real stupid for a chorus to be singing. Otherwise though, the song itself had a lot of things that sounded very Dimmu, and seemed to further promise that maybe this album was going to pull out of the rut of ISD and the mire of drama surrounding ICS and Mustis getting fired.
'Gateways,' the first single from the album. I had seen the video for it and swore I would never watch it again, because I don't want to associate that completely ridiculous imagery with the song, itself. I actually dig this song. I think it's really accessible. The female clean vocals are a bit of an offset, but they're not shabby. They'll either grow on you or they won't. And, the song still had that Dimmu feel overall as well.
Then... 'Chess with the Abyss'. This is your first step into the album going bad. The synth melody in the beginning sounds ridiculously carnival. The pseudo-latin emanating from the chorus doesn't intimidate or elevate the song's 'mystical' feel as I'm sure it was meant to, it sounded shoehorned and unnecessary to me. The song's lyrics appear to be about a person being their own source of salvation, a usual message of theirs... but then goes off into some 'I wish we'd never met' tangent. I don't know what that has to do with the rest of the song, but it sounds like Shag might be taunting the fired band members. That's rather petty and I hope I'm off the mark, but even putting that aside won't save this song. The synth melody just seems too... upbeat, out of place.
'Dimmu Borgir.' I can't believe how passive aggressive this song is for an eponymous track. Hell it seemed to promise to be a testosterone-pounding battle anthem song, 'forces of the northern light- assemble!' but then, the rest of the song drags its feet with a much slower tempo than I'd expect for that sentiment. There's a brief burst of double-kick drum here and there, but nothing that really saves it for me.
'Ritualist'... ooo rattly chains beware the ghost of Jacob loving Marley. I apologize... that was just spiteful and unconstructive. That aside, after 5 tries the song isn't catching me and I skip it.
'Demiurge Molecule.' Now, THIS song is the biggest 'what the gently caress'. It opens like a loving disco song with those drums. There is no amount of listening that is going to get me to accept this poo poo. In contrast to the bad opening, I liked the plucked strings bridge leading into the ominous brass horns and baritone carried vocal notes, I even dig what they're doing with brass overall in the whole thing. But, that bizarre disco lead-in soured me. And, you can't whisper, 'molecule', and be cool. That's just not metal.
'A Jewel Traced Through the Coal.' What the hell is with the name of this track? The song itself though sounds very DCA, I've got little complaint about that- but like a few tracks on DCA, it's a generally boring song. Sure it's got that 'oh so spooky' pseudo-Latin chorus section in the middle, but it's about as scary as Halloween at a renaissance faire.
'Renewal.' I like how this track gets started, then it adopts this retarded gallop that contradicts the racing, Iron Maiden-reminiscent opening. Once that retarded gallop starts the rest of the song becomes forgettable and you're stuck listening and hoping they'll give that cool part in the beginning another go. And when they do, you KNOW that part would've really suited ICS, instead we get someone that sounds like an ill fit, and right back into retarded gallop.
'Endings and Continuations' - stupid, dripping-water, chewing-bones intro that really only worked for Finntroll. If I planned on listening to this album any more, I'd skip the track just to avoid the intro. Then it turns out to be another slower song anyways, and loses any value to me. I can appreciate the point that they're allowing space for the orchestra they involved to be heard, to let the orchestra establish melody for their songs. This is as opposed to beating the orchestra to death so bad that you wonder what the loving point was to involving them at all (Metallica). But, I don't think this sounds like Dimmu Borgir at ALL. It doesn't sound good to me in general. The chorus singing 'abrahadabra', and the clean vocalist just sounded loving dumb.

Anyone actually enjoying this album despite, in spite of my complaints, more power to you. My expectations were let down in the worst way however. I've since retreated into the safety of SBD and PME, but I'm disappointed because I don't think we're ever going to 'return' to what it was that made Dimmu what they were when they impressed me the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

IRQ posted:

That is a lot of words about Demon Burger.

I was really disappointed :(

edit, I just paid attention to the avatar, I'm getting tl;dr'd by an R.R. Martin fan, that's some irony.

5er fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 25, 2010

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Clean Cup posted:

ugh I love nachtmystium. what do i do?

Go, and leave when their set is finished?

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

fozzie dunlop posted:

But then you'd still be giving money to Cradle of Filth :(

That's a very difficult point you bring up, but you know some of that would at least go to the opening band you went to see. It's not just 'in spirit', you'd still be paying the band you cared about too.

"But my girlfriend loves CoF..." Isn't that the way of it? CoF is 'scary metal' for squeamish goth girls that still want some academic-enforced respect for claiming to appreciate Austen and Tennyson.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

It's been a couple or a few months, and I don't think Moonsorrow's 'Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa' is going to wear out with me any time soon. Huuto is going to be one of my all time favorite songs.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

ChthoniC has put out something recently, 'Takasago Army'. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, being melodic black, and maybe melodic blackened by some standards.

I can't help but enjoy these guys though. Their sound is a bit reminiscent in places of early 90's Sepultura, and their vocalist alters pitch frequently. He either sounds like Max, or when he gets high pitch and screechy, it can sound like (and I acknowledge this can seem to be a detrimental comparison) Dani Filth.

They're a pretty interesting group, too. They're from Taiwan, so they have lyrics that alternate between English and Chinese. Their lyrics usually emphasize Chinese folklore, and the lead singer is a very outspoken activist for Taiwanese independence, as well as for the Tibetan, Nepalese and Uighur.

They don't have anything as cool as a discount on financing a Scion though.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Check out Mar de Grises, Moonsorrow, and Enslaved.

I will vouch any time for Moonsorrow's latest album. It's currently my 'of the year' for 2011.

If there's an emerging taste for melodic black metal in a new listener, I'd also recommend 3 of Dimmu Borgir's albums- Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Spiritual Black Dimensions and Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia. Death Cult Armageddon's ok as well, but I wouldn't recommend anything after that. Especially the crap they put out this year.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Morbid Florist posted:

It's a bit analytical for black metal discussion but I agree with the sentiment. Depressive black metal does sound like a soundtrack to a weepy teenager swinging his fists at empty space cause he can't take the rejection of life. When I hear it, it makes me snicker to myself.

That description would encapsulate all the nu-metal through the 90's. I about had the same reaction.

RHTITE posted:

Ain't no way a motherfucker with a name like Hunter Hunt-Hendrix and a look like Kurt Cobain is gonna write some loving good Black Metal. Some things are just easy to spot at first glance. This Averse Sefira member sums them up nicely: http://aversesefira.blogspot.com/2011/08/pretenders.html

I've never listened to Liturgy or Averse Sefira, but that tear-down was very entertaining to read.

5er fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 21, 2011

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Fans of Agalloch/WITTR/Nechochwen/Petrychor etc should check out Waldgeflüster from Germany. Their ambient, neo-folky bits sound like Ildjarn, which is always a good thing.

Trailer for their new album, Femundsmarka.

Not fans of any of what you mentioned but I like the sound of this.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

QPZIL posted:

It's true he does seem like an rear end in a top hat.

Let's be fair, we're discussing Dimmu Borgir too. The ignominious split with Mustis and ICS Vortex in recent history, everyone seems guilty of being an rear end in a top hat. I'm a little surprised Hellhammer would want to get back into the middle of that, if he's an rear end in a top hat himself.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

QPZIL posted:

Ugh why won't this just go away

Watch it become the new nu-metal.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

IRQ posted:

Goddamn Avenger is awesome.

Agreed.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

lenitic posted:

There is this band called Moonsorrow, who kick rear end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xEXTBW91us

"Varjoina kuljemme kuolleiden maassa" was one of the best albums of any band I've ever listened to. I believe I had posted praise for this about two years ago in this thread. I still listen to it and it still kicks rear end.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Took me long enough to finally remember to look up some Liturgy music on youtube to see what all the fuss is about. Simple summary for me, they're a pretty good band ruined by bad decisions in vocals. The vocals sound like a cat slowly being dipped back and forth between a vat of acid and a pan filled with salt. Reading the comments on any given youtube of theirs is a pretty fun trek though.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Gamma Nerd posted:

HHH is a very poor vocalist, but the songs themselves are really beautiful and compelling in some weird way. Returner is such a drat good track.

I thought they were ok, and Returner was one of the songs I listened to, but I didn't get particularly moved by any of it. Reading comments overall left me with the impression that people that hate this band were squaring off against people that spend more times enjoying categorizing music, comparing it, cataloging it, waxing pretentiously about genres than actually listening to it. It seems to me that this band, or at least the obnoxiously academic frontman is spending way too much time trying to muscle their way into fame and relevance with namedrops, and hoping like hell that the people that will spend money on their music won't realize that they are not in fact some kind of genre-destroying original entity so much as a pretty obvious podge of recognizable influences.

It's been a slow day at work, and I have happened across a collection of reviews for Aesthetica @ metal-archives.com. Considering how rough this room gets, I expect semi- to fully professional reviews to yield a high entertainment payload.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

I listened to Anaal Nathrakh's 'Passion' this weekend for the first time based on this thread's recent exhortation of the band. I pretty much loved it, and will go looking for 'Vanitas' next.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Well gently caress, nowhere to go but up for me apparently.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Are Anaal Nathrakh the guys that got about a bajillion metalheads infuriated when one of em was photographed wearing a Radiohead tshirt?

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Gamma Nerd posted:

Similar to how I feel about Hunter Hunt-Hendrix.

I don't know. I think the rest of that band could succeed and excel without his pseudo-intellectual lip, or that horrible cat-rape whining.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Zodijackylite posted:

I'm a bit slow but since it's the black metal thread, check our Varhorn/Bapxxoph. I picked up their album from a cheap Ukranian distro and it's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0Zl0LqraS4

This is reminding me of Walknut.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

I wouldn't consider it even close to black metal or right for this thread at all, but they're German and a flavor of metal- The Ocean - or the Ocean Collective as well. Aeolian and Precambrian are two of my favorite albums of any band.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

het posted:

Moonsorrow seems like an obvious one, though I'll be honest that I wouldn't know what your distinguishing characteristics between Scandinavian folk and Slavic folk would be. Åsmegin comes to mind too though I dunno how black metal they are (though it's an obvious influence)

Moonsorrow straddles folk / melodic death pretty well, but all category discussion aside they're loving magnificent anyway.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

This may or may not be the right place, so I apologize if it's not. I don't want to go through iTunes for digital purchases and I usually get my music the traditional way... a loving CD. It is difficult to impossible sometimes to listen to some of the European metal we're talking about short of pulling it up on youtube or spotify. And, when I do that, I still want to buy the music in some way to support the musicians I like.

Is there a recommended digital outlet anyone here could recommend that I could buy from?

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Verizian posted:

Have you tried Amazon or Google Play?

I didn't know they did that sort of thing.

Stravinsky posted:

See if they have an option to buy from the band/artist website if you want to try to maximise the amount of money going to the guys making the music. That's becoming more and more common for a lot of bands.

That's reasonable. Thank you!

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

m-o-o-n posted:

Singing about Satan in a glam rock band qualifies as an act of terrorism in Sweden

It counts equivalently in quite a number of American households too.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Morbid Florist posted:

I don't think they're trying to sell themselves to overly sensitive americans

I don't give a gently caress about those hats, I'm not terribly sensitive, and I really liked those links.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Verizian posted:

You're in for a treat, Passion is pretty much the worst album they've released. Vanitas and Constellation of the Black Widow are probably the best metal albums I've ever heard by comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3H-qM11wH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zYSv9IqzEg

Nails posted:

My favorite has always been The Codex Necro. I've never really heard anything quite like it since. It's possibly the heaviest record ever made.

Dragging all this forward from June, because I finally got around to obtaining a few of AN's albums off the google play music store (thanks Morbid Florist also for the recommendations when I asked about reasonable online purchase options around then too).

Codex Necro is just loving great. 'When Humanity is a Cancer' is absolutely unrelenting, and probably going to be my 'new favorite song' for a while now. I even like the stuff some people are stating are their 'weakest' offerings. I still like Passion for that matter.

I really hope these guys tour the U.S. some day.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

I have learned that 'Japanoise' is an actual genre. Thanks guys!

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Somehow I thought a recent reply in this thread was responsible for getting me to pull up a few Brujeria songs on youtube. Maybe related links or something. It was a trip google-translating some of the lyrics, these guys don't hold back explaining how they feel.

Billy Gould from Faith No More having thrown in with these guys at some point was amusing to learn too.

Anyways, I need to get more of these guys.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

My categories are 'I like this' and 'I don't like this.'

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Morbid Florist posted:

I stand corrected, Emperor looks straight out of a pit fight now that I've seen this. Those two look like they'd whimper at a poetry reading

I think I recall in some interview with Anaal Nathrakh, one of the guys in the photograph for it was wearing a Radiohead shirt, and metalheads went ripshit about it. Meanwhile Anaal Nathrakh's some of the most brutal stuff I've heard in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Zodijackylite posted:

Batushka is pretty cool. Black/death/doom with clean vocals, some melody, and a good atmosphere. Easily digestable.

https://witchinghourproductions.bandcamp.com/album/litourgiya

Necro-quoting this nearly 3 year old post because I discovered Batushka about a month ago, and it has been my commute music nearly this entire time. I really hope they're putting something fresh out soon.