Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006
It really kind of makes me mad that everyone who's mentioned Wolves In the Throne Room's newest album has made some sort of disclaimer that people here don't/won't like it, haha. I think it's a really loving solid album, regardless of what hipsters namedrop them and DSO/Alcest these days, IMO it's still fuckin' great.

And yeah, Amouseurs is loving amazing, have they put anything out besides that little EP, yet?

What's everyones opinion on Celestia? I downloaded Apparitia - A Sumptous Spectre completely on a whim, a few years ago, just because it sounded "tr00", haha, and it's seriously one of my favorite BM albums, probably ever. If you haven't heard it, it sounds like the soundtrack to transylvania in the 1900s(not in the darkthrone way, think the black and white dracula movies), but really really catchy. So good, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

Necro Beer posted:

Also I'm listening to Alcest for the first time right now and I would really like an explanation as to why they are being discussed in this thread. It sounds like post-rock/indie and I really have to grasp straws to figure out where the black metal influence is.

Listen to the Le Secret EP. The full length is a lot different from it.

And, while I can't really name specific people who are into them, I know from atleast 2 other message boards I go to that those bands, along with everything BM on Hydra Head/Southern Lord, and DSO and Leviathan for some reason as mentioned beforehand, are namedropped a lot by people who are normally into hipster music. Not that I care, i'm just saying, I don't think any of these bands should lose their credibility by trying to do something fairly new.

And, to the guy above me, Amoseurs, as mentioned before, you would probably be into, uhh, Velvet Cocoon maybe, definitely check out Lunar Aurora

modernlifeisadam fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 3, 2007

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006
What all new worth hearing has come out this year? All I've checked I think is the new mirrorthrone and Keep Of Kallesin, even though Gangrene didn't really catch me even as close to as much as Carriers of Dust, but eh.

Also what do you guys think of the new Abigail Williams tracks? mainstream lolo aside, I can't deny this poo poo, and their newer poo poo is A LOT more BM influenced then the older stuff I heard, and by BM I mean Emperor. Even the loving artwork is Emperor influenced/worship.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

I really liked both new Menace Ruines, Cult of Ruins and In Vulva Infernum. New Vordr was good too, if you like more straight forward stuff. New Wold or Taake aren't bad either.

New Taake? Didn't even know about that, I heard they were taking a long hiatus due to Host wanting to work on Ragnarok more. And Abigail Williams, their Legend EP which was all they had out for a few years was pretty drat "core-y", and the guitars didn't really have the BM feel like they do now.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

primitive posted:

Just checked out their Myspace, got crushed by it. Color me impressed.

On another topic, please complete this list of most emotionally charged black metal albums (not necessairily in any order):

1. Pyha - The Haunted House
2. Weakling - Dead as Dreams
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?
Silencer - Death... Pierce Me?

And the whole new Abigail CD leaked, fuckin' rips IMO.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

lordblytzkrieg posted:

It also helps to sound like Emperor when Trym is drumming for you on the album.

No, he was going to, but they got their new drummer, Samus, right before they started recording.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

Misogynist posted:

:rimshot: :psyduck:

Hahah, yup. It's the guy in the video playing, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GISvqNhaRAs

He's really, really good IMO.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

aliencowboy posted:

That's a monster of a list. It'll probably take a while to get through that, but I'm sure I'll end up enjoying at least a few of those bands based on sheer numbers. Only one I've heard is Wolves in the Throne Room and I think they're just dandy. Thanks.

I'd definitely say listen to Drudkh if you like summoning. One of my fav BM bands ever.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006
I just got the new Krallice S/T, with members of Behold... The Arctopus and some other "spazzy" metal band, and I gotta say this is pretty good, but it's kind of obvious these guys are unfamiliar with BM as a whole. And the vocals really suck, but are really, really low in the mix.

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

IntoTheNihil posted:

I'd like to see good black metal still come out. There's about a handful of solid bands around anymore. Nothing wrong with classics but it's sad to have such a dead and stale genre.

I reaaallly don't see how BM is a "dead and stale" genre, maybe if you listen to 1349/anything else on candlelight as a indication of how the BM scene is doing, sure. But IMO quite a few bands are making interesting poo poo these days, maybe not as much as a year or 2 ago, but I'd say it's hardly "dead and stale"

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

Not Very Metal posted:

Am I reading too much into your post, or is this some 1349 hate?

That'd be too bad if it was. 1349 owns.

No, I like 1349, but they're pretty archetypal, and if you listen solely to bands like them, and Marduk, etc I can see how one would think the genre is "dead and stale"

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006

Not Very Metal posted:

Am I reading too much into your post, or is this some 1349 hate?

That'd be too bad if it was. 1349 owns.

No, I like 1349, but they're pretty archetypal, and if you listen solely to bands like them, and Marduk, etc I can see how one would think the genre is "dead and stale"

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006
Man, I have to say, the Krallice S/T really grew on me. I liked it quite a bit at first, but just as a one time listen thing. But, just today I've listened to this thing 5+ times, the riffs, the atmosphere, poo poo, even the BASSLINES(wut basslines in bm) are badass. HIGHLY recommended that everyone check this.

modernlifeisadam fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 4, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

modernlifeisadam
Dec 29, 2006
The new Woe is so good, regardless of how sometimes painfully low the vocals are mixed.