Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I just wanted to say thanks for recommending Wolves in The Throne Room.

I got Diadem of 12 stars and it was loving amazing, and I just got Two Hunters and its even better.

I absolutely love these 2 albums (and sworn is just as good) thank you!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Well, I finally figured out what the whole Burzum thing is about. Gotta say, I'm now a fan.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

So, I play WoW and someone I play with just told me about this black metal band who did a couple songs based on WoW. I gotta say, I really dig them. Its by a band called Sorg Uten Tårer its called "For the Horde" and they also do a song about the Warlock class called "The Demonologist."

here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eygoVl6LWII&feature=related

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

MrWithers posted:

Yeah, i got interested in hearing Abigail Williams after seeing the drummer doing his stuff to one of their songs on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GISvqNhaRAs . I remember someone mentioning that they were a deathcore band, but i thought they sounded a lot like emperor.

It also helps to sound like Emperor when Trym is drumming for you on the album.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

The biggest reason why I felt really attached to metal is the variety. I mean, you can have a band like Emperor who is amazingly heavy, but they also have some beautiful passages (like the end of "Thus spake the nightspirit") which you really don't find in an other style of music at all.

Its like when you're playing metal or listening to metal anything goes. gently caress it, we do what we want. I love that, I really do.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Are there any black metal bands like Wolves in the Throne Room that don't come with that particular brand of hipster-pretentious faggotry?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Noktorn posted:

I might make the trip out to Orlando to see them. Enslaved was phenomenal when I saw them with Dark Funeral, essentially turned me into a fan overnight.

I think I might be there as well. Haven't seen a good metal show in a long rear end time and Keep of Kalessin is amazing.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

catbread.jpg posted:

Come now, it's very simple music (for simple people hurr), but I think they showed a strong sense of melody on Two Hunters, which is quite appealing to me.

It really is simple though, I can't think of another BM band that I can pick up a guitar and learn the guitar lines by ear seemingly instantly...

I think it's pretty refreshing to not hear a triggered drumset in metal as well.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

het posted:

how does this set wittr apart from anyone? There's lots of drummers who don't use triggers

It doesn't set them apart from anyone at all, I just haven't listened to many other new bands lately that don't use triggers.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Has anyone heard the new 1349 yet?

Is it any good?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Yeah, ICS Vortex has some awesome pipes on him. He also sang for Borknagar (on the album Quintessence) and Arcturus (everything after like 2003), so maybe you'd like those?

Borknagar - Colossus - Bad sound quality, but you get the idea. A lot more folky than Dimmu Borgir, but still rad, in my opinion. A lot of their stuff is closer to black metal than this.

Arcturus - Hufsa - Again, kinda folky metal, way more avant garde, not really black metal at all. But, it's got Vortex on vocals so hey :shobon:

VVV I'm just throwing out stuff since he liked Vortex's vocals. I don't want to go on record as saying that either of these are good examples of black metal or are even good examples of the bands themselves. I don't even like Arcturus at all.

In the vein of ICS Vortex with Dimmu Borgir you might wanna check out the song, "The Insight and the Catharsis." He single-handedly makes that song amazing. Also check out "The Kings of the Carnival Creation," he sings some really awesome parts in that one as well.

I don't think Dimmu has ever been considered "real" BM. They've always had symphonic elements with harsh vocals.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 9, 2009

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

pugna posted:

Drudkh, Hate Forest, Astrofaes, Wodensthrone, Wolves in the Throne Room, Darkspace, Coldworld

I was just browsing around Myspace and I came across another band to add to this list, Draugnim. I think they sound loving amazing to be honest.

https://www.myspace.com/draugnim

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I remember Richard Christy said when he was touring with Death (oh god sorry) he was able to live without a job comfortably for a couple months, but could never just do music full time.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Openknees posted:

He'll be back.

How long can you survive on making designer purses anyways?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Latis posted:

I'm just curious, try just one song, this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gW6oVzVAeA

And tell me if you really don't like his vocals here. Especially around 6:00

This is the best example of his vocal work in Dimmu outside of his singing parts in Kings of the Carnival Creation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evwYrhj-bcI (it starts around 4:45)

Who knows, maybe Borknagar will get a new singer sometime in the near future.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

That is loving amazing news, here's hoping to a American tour and a new album.

Actually, this whole Dimmu drama has got me wanting to listen to Borknagar's The Archaic Course and god drat that album is loving jaw-dropping. Vortex and their drummer "Grim" just absolutely kill on that record.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

The new Gorgoroth is really good, I absolutely love it when black metal bands actually have good production. Building a Man is a great track, but Satan Prometheus is better.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

WatermelonGun posted:

I really like both the new Immortal and the new Gorgoroth :(

They both have some pretty weak tracks, but I wouldn't say it's enough to leave me disappointed.

And "Satan-Prometheus" loving destroys.

Actually, I was thinking the new Gorgoroth has a "Reinkaos" feel to it. Mid Tempo music with catchy riffs and absolutely boring drums. I know it's because of that drummer, he's just so boring. Let's hope that he never gets a paying gig from one of the big great bands again.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

p4vl posted:

I'm just now hearing it, and plastic is definetly the word. :arghfist: Tomas Asklund :arghfist: we haven't forgotten that your sloppy, clicky performance did to Storm of the Light's Bane!

Yea, I absolutely can't stand Tomas Asklund. The first song I put on I knew it was him, his drumming is so bland and his blast beats aren't that strong at all. It's like he's playing softly so he wont wake the neighbors.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

There's gotta be more bands like Myrkgrav out there. Off the top of my head I can think of Falkenbach and Manegarm, but other than that I can't think of anymore. Any recommendations?

Edit: Mostly just looking for black metal with the folky chanting. I can't get enough of it.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 4, 2009

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Oh god is this actually a legit chance for me to post Moonsorrow? Because Kivenkantaja or Verisäkeet might be just what you're after.

poo poo, I forgot about Moonsorrow! Yea, I have a couple of their albums and I will absolutely check more out.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Pretty much all black metal is considered "taboo" by someone. It's definitely not an average form of music and this attracts more extreme people. I don't read too deep into Varg Vikerne's lyrics because I could give a poo poo less about what he believes. I just enjoy his music and that's that. Same with Dissection and many other bands...

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Plasma1010 posted:

It appears the ones calling Varg out for NSBM haven't actually listened or read the lyrics.

Oh I've read his lyrics and completely agree with what you guys are saying about the content. However, if you spend 20 seconds on his website or see some of the shirt's he's selling any idiot can tell what he's up too.

It's not exactly subtle, is it?

edit: Another classic black metal album you should check out. Emperor's In the Nightside Eclipse (I personally bought the live album first, because the production is loving great.)

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 15, 2009

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

ElectricWizard posted:

That painting is by Theodor Kittelsen, and is part of his series on the black death in Norway. The paintings are considered national treasures in Norway, and certainly has nothing to do with the holocaust or NS-imagery. I think the person who posted the shirt was referring to the lebensrune on the back, which has been used by modern nazis.

I wasn't too sure about the front graphic. I searched for the artist (thank you btw) and couldn't remember the name of the painting, however I was 100% sure about the graphic on the back.

edit: The painting was made in 1896, so yea definitely not Holocaust related.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Faux Shoah posted:

Nokturnal Mortum's The Voice of Steel is shaping up to be my favourite album of 2009, and it just came out too. Really amazing stuff, even though it's not quite black metal anymore. So many awesome tracks, especially Valkyrie and Ukraine.

I decided to give this a listen and this is definitely NOT what I expected to hear from a Ukrainian band. Valkyrie is a very killer song and has a weird rear end very Pink Floyd style breakdown/solo in the middle part. Next up is Ukraine, I expect good things.

edit: And I'm getting good things. I'm glad, most BM bands are a dime-a-dozen and there really isn't much difference. It's always a good thing to see a band start to stand out and do something different while keeping their roots.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 30, 2009

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Noktorn posted:

What did you expect? Ukrainian scene is pretty varied.

I expected bad production and slower tempo blast beats.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I don't know if any of you caught this, but I was out at Barnes and Noble and saw Varg Vikernes staring at me.

It's the basic history of black metal with pictures and it's really cool, but I could see paying 13 dollars for something I already know.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Noktorn posted:

Hasn't every metal mag ever done five issues like that? Who the hell is there left to teach? I think my loving grandma knows the history of Mayhem at this point.

I have no idea if metal mags do that, however, it's still a pretty good read and does have a section on bands around the world. So, for someone who doesn't spend all day on SA/metal forums asking for recommendations it's not bad.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 16, 2010

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Caucasus Belli posted:

I got my copy of Imerium Dekadenz's Procella Vadens today and it's loving amazing - completely worth the wait on the delayed release date. This is their best work. It's their Privilegivm - it brings all the good stuff together in a more refined and purposeful way.

I just checked out this album and it is pretty drat good. It's very relaxing to listen to

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

m3dory posted:

Really good atmospheric black metal from a friend of mine and a fellow goon who would like to remain anonymous: Petrychor - http://www.myspace.com/petrychor

You can download higher quality formats here: http://petrychor.bandcamp.com/

It has the intensity and fullness of sound similar to things like Walknut, Enmerkar, and Drudkh, but retains a strong sense of clarity as well.

Wow, when the drums/guitars kick in on "Dryad" it really is something special. I immediately knew what I was going to get and I immediately fell in love with it in the first 3 seconds of that part. Very very good! I really hope it keeps up the intensity throughout the whole album.

edit: The second song just kicked in and it's just as good. I'm really getting a "Summoning" vibe from it with how the drums are.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 10, 2010

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Kaiho posted:

I think your friend T should come own up and post here, because this is hands down amazing stuff. I absolutely love the wavering lead guitar tone in "Dryad". While the drums (are they machine? I think so) are a bit simplistic it's just... Wow I like this a lot.

edit: Finally someone uses acoustic guitars in a nice way in black metal.

Ya, the acoustic guitars are spot on loving perfect. The tone is amazing and I really enjoy the playing style (andy mckee was exacting what I was thinking, only without all the slaps/finger style). The 3rd track was a bit too noodly for me, but it still is a good track.

The production of the EP is kinda weird, in that everything maxed all the gently caress out except the drums and vocals, but I kinda dig it because it's like you're getting a giant dinner platter all at once and you start to realize all the ingredients that went into it and it all comes out perfect.

edit: your friend definitely should own up and let us pester him into putting out more stuff.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

ultraviolence123 posted:

Glemselens Elv is so killer.

Couldn't agree with you more, the riff at 7m20s is loving amazing.

It's so refreshing to hear guitars playing in different channels and everything not maxed out. (dynamics!)

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Ronnie Spector posted:

It might be hard to quantify the difference between 'hypnotic' and 'boring' but Belus definitely falls square under the latter category. Outside of Filosofem Burzum was never particularly repetitive anyway, and that album relied on subtle harmonic and rhythmic variations to make it work. Pretty much every song on this album alternates between two melodic phrases which are repeated ad nauseam with none of the buried harmonies of a track like Jesus' Tod, backed by rock drumming which serves to de-emphasize the melodic, droning nature of the guitar melodies rather than emphasise it as the drumming on older albums did. The end result is that rather than being put in a state where time doesn't matter, we are stuck squarely in the now wondering "Jesus Christ when is he going to play a different loving riff." Having failed to make repetition work, the songs never actually go anywhere either, thanks to simplistic, recursive structures. Essentially, it's Burzum does rock music without any of the things that make rock good, like hooks or brevity. I have to think that anyone who really enjoys this doesn't really understand what makes the old Burzum albums great.

I agree with you, but there will never be another Filosofem. It's been over a decade and I am sure Varg has grown up a lot since then. It's why "Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire & Demise" sounds nothing at all like "In the Nightside Eclipse." Musicians change, inspirations change, spirituality changes and this reflects on their music.

You've hit the nail on the head as to why Filosofem is so good. It's 100% subtle and unless you're really listening you just can't pick up on what makes it magical. The thing you have to remember though, is that albums are recorded for a reason; To get material down on a repeatable format and move on as a musician. Now, "Belus" maybe a "pay the bills" type album, but for what it is it's a pretty drat good listen. So...I guess what I'm trying to say is, If I want Filosofem I'll listen to THAT album, not Belus.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

RHTITE posted:

Belus just doesn't stand up side by side with albums like Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Det Som Engang Var, so I'd feel like quite the rear end if I was to recommend it, regardless of how much I like it (and barring a few really low points, I do)

When you put it like that of course Belus wont stand up at all, because you've had what like a day to listen to Belus and pushing 15 years to listen and fall in love with the other two albums?

It's just an older guy putting out a drat good metal album. Plain and simple.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

eh I saw that documentary but to be honest the only thing I liked about it was seeing these countries. the music is nothing special. I appreciate what they're going through but to me it was more informative about the region than it was about anything music related.

The middle east is not open minded, film at 11.

I feel pretty much the same way about it.

It is, however, very interesting to think that a young guy starting a band in the US has very different problems than a young guy starting a band in Iraq. The kid in the US is going to ask himself, Are we good enough? Where do we get gigs? How can I afford new gear? While the kid from Iraq has to ask, "Am I going to be killed for playing this song?"

Whoever thought that playing a Morbid Angel cover would be a life and death decision.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Plasma1010 posted:

I guess that is a product of growing up with like only 4 or 5 bootleg CDs as your entire inspiration.

I think they have a lot more than we think. I was talking to my friend who spent a lot of time in Iraq about this subject and he was telling me bootlegged poo poo is everywhere, however I honestly think proper black metal bands are very scarce.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Ronnie Spector posted:

The new Alcest is boring as gently caress btw

Normally I love Alcest, but drat you're absolutely right. I listened to it and nothing at all jumped out at me and I don't even think it could be even a LITTLE black metal anymore.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

Cold Day posted:

What's the obsession with complaining that Alcest isn't BM? For one the whole intention of Alcest is NOT to be black metal, if Souvenirs wasn't a big enough indicator for some people. And secondly who cares if it's not BM? enjoy(or not) for what it is.

If you could shed some light onto this I'd appreciate it.

I don't care that they're not BM at all. I'm just saying with this album they're even further from Black Metal than normal.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

I was sifting through Encyclopedia Metallum last night looking for bands that sounded like Altar of Plagues, and holy poo poo there are a lot of REALLY bad one man bands out there.

That shirt looks loving killer by the way, everyone's gotta have one or two shirts that aren't black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

catbread.jpg posted:

New Altar of Plagues is out, I'm still undecided on it.

The first song has a real slow beginning, but I can see myself really enjoying this.

edit: It may just be me but it seems like the snare drum is way too loud and it makes the blast beats sound funky. There's also some singing on here, It was definitely a pleasant surprise.

I Brake For MILFs fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 27, 2010