Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So I've spent the last couple months completely immersing myself in doom metal, after many years flirting with more obvious forms of underground metal. Black metal never really grabbed me until today. I've been listening to Hvis Lyset Tar Oss over and over again. It's loving blowing my mind.

What can the experts recommend in that atmospheric/drony vein? More Burzum is in order, of course.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Mr. Hoppy posted:

Just to quote this from a few pages back, you should totally listen to darkspace's first demo and album too because they are great.

Thanking all y'all for the pretty great recommendations. I managed to shift over into a broader spectrum of BM after checking out more of the ambient stuff. Took me a second to get into the lower-fi, all tremolos and bass pedals, but I'm all in, now. The only thing I'm not sold on is the mostly blast beat stuff, like Mayhem.

Also, is it just me, or does ambient BM tend to have eerily quasi-fascist undertones, more so than other kinds of BM? Is that Varg's influence? I got into Walknut and started looking into their stuff; it didn't take too long to find various fascist acts associated with them. Getting that caught up with Germanic heritage can't be healthy.

Yeah, I dig some of that stuff, but I can't help but feel a bit uneasy while listening to it. I can listen to all the goregrind in the world and not give a gently caress, but slip a couple lines about "northern blood" in a song about landscapes and suddenly I feel legitimately provoked by metal. I guess it's the only way for extreme metal to fulfill it's promise of transgression for me.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 12, 2010

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Aezith posted:

This. I dislike NSBMism lyrics, but then again knowing that the person performing the song is batshit insane adds something to it (Burzum, Gorgoroth etc.)

Also I've always liked how people find NSBM objectionable but songs about disembowelling Christians with a rusty knife are a-ok

I imagine it has something to do with the actual atrocious history behind Nazism, whereas most extreme metal lyrics that involve graphic violence are written mainly for shock value or even for shits n' giggles, although I suppose that applies more to death metal than black metal.

But I agree, it's an amusing dynamic. Can you imagine the Moral Majority getting up in arms about Drudkh lyric sheets?

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 12, 2010

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Judas Chongo posted:

So the past 3 months I took the plunge into black metal after getting kinda burned out on Japanese raw punk and 80s crust/D-beat. I was pretty surprised by how much I liked of what I heard considering I've always been kinda wary of extreme metal. I'm typically drawn more towards mid tempo, punkier, and lo fi stuff and I really dig the whole atmosphere the music provides.

My favorites so far have been
Panzerfaust by Darkthrone
Cult is Alive by Darkthrone
Nights Middle EP by Bone Awl
Magnetism of War by Bone Awl
the first Bathory Demo
Nahvlar s/t
Deathcrush by Mayhem
Dimensiónes del Trance Kósmico by Volahn

That Volahn lp is loving awesome Indigenismo inspired black metal, its one of my favorite albums I've heard all year.

I can't get into Transylvanian Hunger at all its my least favorite Darkthrone album, every song sounds exactly the same to me and its not even cool in a hypnotic way to me, no matter how hard I want to like it just hasn't hit me. I've listened to most of Burzum's non synth discography, but part of me still feels weird about it because the dude is a nutjob (ironically I like Fang a lot!). Some others I've listened too in passing that were enjoyable or okay were Gnaw Their Tounges, Hex Noir, and Von.

I really liked the little bit of Bone Awl I heard, but I'm having a hard time getting my hands on some more. It reminds me of all that punk I vaguely remember being an obsessive geek over. Same goes for Darkthrone's new crusty stuff. Whatever happened to those simpler, more innocent days?

Anyway, I personally recommend revisiting Transylvanian Hunger at some point. I felt the same way about it for a while, but that opening melody starting to creep into my head. I'm pretty into it now.