Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Immortal binge!

I completed my discography with the addition of Damned In Black and the Plague Of Evil bootleg, holy poo poo, D.I.B. brings out a rather strong 'WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!' reaction.

Also today I bought tickets for the Wellington show in March, the first time they've been over this way, and if they can still play half as well as in that bootleg, I'm going to be in heaven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
It's time to plaaaaaaay...... Rate my local black metal band!!!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=96082173

Pretty decent for locals.

Deathly Cold Winds is by far their best song, and it's the newest, not being on either of their two releases, so I guess they're improving! They're self-described as 'classic' black metal, which you can roughly translate as a couple of dudes tremolo-picking the hell out of their guitars (occasionally with pleasing results).

Bonus points for the reasonably artful inclusion of a pentagram in their logo.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

het posted:

My fave is Papist Inferno - Heretical Marian Idolatry

Feh, those guys went downhill after Blackened Transubstantiation.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Moist von Lipwig posted:

I've been listening to some black metal lately and I was wondering if I could get any suggestions. I've mostly been listening to Keep of Kalessin, Conspiracy and Urgehal. I'm trying to get my hands on some Immortal at the moment. Any help?

At The Heart Of Winter should be your first introduction. Then Sons Of Northern Darkness, Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism (surprisingly good for a début), Battles In The North, Damned In Black (some really dislike its simplicity, but I think it's ok), Blizzard Beasts, and then if you're really keen, Pure Holocaust, which I think is poo poo.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

dxt posted:

but Pure Holocaust is probably the best Immortal album, definitely the best of their earlier stuff :confused:

I only listened to it once before discounting it; upon listening again, I'd have to say I misjudged it. Better than DIB. Perhaps even better than DFM.

For someone just getting into black metal, Bathory - Blood Fire Death is essential listening. You can still hear the influence 20 years later.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
...In The Woods can be pretty sketchy in the studio, but comes out much better live. Check out Live At The Caledonian Hall. It does the tracks on Omnio justice.

Also Vulture Industries - The Dystopia Journals, especially if you like Garm-esque vocals.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

Thanks for the tip! I like this

edit: I do miss varg's lust for extremely lovely guitar production though. I never thought those fuzz guitars would grow on me but this one man band poo poo just doesn't sound the same without them.

I don't consider Burzum's production to be lovely. Low-fi, yes, but the guitar tone is crystal clear in its own peculiar way, every note shines through the mix. I couldn't imagine it any other way.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Openknees posted:

All this significant other talk has got me thinking, how do I get my wife into black metal?

Knock her out, tie her up, and put her in a dark room. Tape a pair of headphones to her head, and put Massive Conspiracy Against All Life on repeat. Check every few days, when she starts headbanging, she can be released.

Otherwise, I'd recommend the more avant-garde stuff, after first progressing through milder metal subgenres. Arcturus would be good, before getting a bit darker with Blut Aus Nord.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Can someone just quote door.txt already?

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Come now, it's very simple music (for simple people hurr), but I think they showed a strong sense of melody on Two Hunters, which is quite appealing to me.

It really is simple though, I can't think of another BM band that I can pick up a guitar and learn the guitar lines by ear seemingly instantly...

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

deltawing posted:

I just wanna state that Naglfar - Vittra is one of the best Melodic Black Metal albums I've ever heard.

Highly recommended!

Yeah, probably their best.

Dammit, I'm still kicking myself for not discovering Weakling earlier, it's been a couple of months now, and I can still say it's in my top 5 black metal albums ever.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Wrath Of The Weak. Owns.

If you thought Velvet Cacoon had potential but was too pretentious, this is the band for you.

I've only heard the second full-length, but that has given me many hours of black noise bliss. The mixing is perfect, every sonic layer is clawing to reach the surface of a bubbling cauldron of awesomeness, only to slide back down to the depths of the subconscious.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Yay, my Deathspell Omega shirt arrived!

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Kenose > SMRC > Fas (which is still good) >> Everything before 2004, it's basically a different band so don't bother.

The single/split releases have been good, particularly From The Entrails To The Dirt, with Mass Grave Aesthetics, one of their finest creations.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Woah.

Skagos - Ást

This is pretty low-key right now, but rest assured it's going to blow up once it gets a Wolves-esque pitchfork review. And it will.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
The drummer was pretty funny.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

catbread.jpg posted:

Woah.

Skagos - Ást

This is pretty low-key right now, but rest assured it's going to blow up once it gets a Wolves-esque pitchfork review. And it will.

So has anybody else heard this yet? Two weeks later and it's still kicking my rear end.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
I know a girl who listened to a shitload of Shining, and threw herself under a train.

Now she has no legs and one arm. I love the music though.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
I couldn't give a drat what it's about, I like the music.

I must say, I'm very impressed with the vocal delivery on Ást. And the production in general. It's a very warm, open sound, to use a disingenuous term or two.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

WatermelonGun posted:

All the videos I've seen of him play it looks like he doesn't do loving anything, he just stands completely still and looks "spooky" and occasionally makes "spooky" hand gestures.

:gay:

spooky as poo poo!

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Draugnim sounds good, kinda like Summoning if they were more black metal.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
There's something about the drone thing in Clandestine Blaze's Intro/Destroyer of Nations (Crushing The Holy Trinity, Son). It sounds so supremely evil. I assume it's some kind of horn?

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Most essential:

1. Weakling - Dead As Dreams
2. Drudkh - Forgotten Legends
3. Negură Bunget - Om
4. Windir - Likferd
5. Immortal - Pure Holocaust
6. Enslaved - Eld
7. Ulver - Bergtatt
8. Burzum - Det Som Engang Var
9. Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice
10. Wolves In The Throne Room - Two Hunters (yes, I said it :xd:)

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Just a reminder that the next iteration of this thread had better be called 'BLACKENED FORGE OF ULTIMATE NIHILISM' ... or else.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Can I get a recommendation for genuinely evil sounding BM? Stuff that sounds like Satan could have conceivably been involved in the production.

I'm thinking like Massive Conspiracy Against All Life.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Don't die black metal thread...!

So. Altar of Plagues. Unreserved genius. Anybody got recommendations for similar bands?

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Good bands (I'm sure you people know what kind of stuff I like by now):

Austere
Sun of the Blind
Enmerkar
Lantlôs

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
psssh "Negura Bunget" :airquote:......

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Oooooh. Sounding good. Profound Lore is LITERALLY my favourite label by a ridiculous margin.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Bubble Bathory posted:

Looking for recommendations. I have Bathory's stuff, and I really like the early poo poo as well as the later, punkier stuff. Not huge on the viking metal with all the "ohh's" and "ahh's" but I can appreciate it for what it is. I guess I'll let that lead to Ulver, I have most of their stuff and I like the "Trilogie," especially Nattens Madrigal. In fact that's becoming one of my favorite albums. I'm into a few Immortal albums, I like Burzum's metal stuff. Gorgoroth has been a favorite of mine. As for newer, American stuff, I'm tending to gravitate towards what I'd describe as really "bleak" or "depressive" stuff like Xasthur or Leviathan. I absolutely love Sunn o))), who I got into via Mayhem, with Attila Csihar and everything.
Sorry if this is kinda all over the place. I guess what I am looking for is howling, hollow sounding vocals, more personal themes, eccentricity; that whole deal.
Not huge on death metal, which is why I'm here in this thread, but I do like Nile a lot, being a huge Egypt nerd and also because I feel their whole atmosphere lends itself to a sort of "blackness."

You want Wrath of The Weak - Alogon

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Bubble Bathory posted:

oh poo poo this is kicking my rear end. I like that Phillip Glass seems to be one of the dudes influences. Nice. But I don't have any money so I'm stuck with what I can download and I can't find that.

protip: http://dontlinktofilesyoufuckingmoron.com/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Vilosophe is ok.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Firstly, make sure you have the following:

Leviathan: Massive Conspiracy Against All Life (x1000), The Blind Wound, the Xasthur/Leviathan split (this is all I have, I should really expand it, but these are all excellent)

Xasthur: Nocturnal Poisoning (not so keen on the rest)

Shining: Everything

You may want to check out recent Mutilation, particularly Sorrow Galaxies. I haven't explored the genre nearly as well as it deserves, so I don't think I can offer much more in that particular vein. As far as more mainstream depressive stuff goes, Songs to Leave by Forgotten Tomb is a mainstay.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trV6Ewu2M18

Why does this exist, and perhaps more importantly, what on earth was the creator thinking? This video creates a deep philosophical crisis, which is furthered by the startling atmosphere of the song itself.

I just wanted to youtube a song to show it to someone and this is what I get?!

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
Lol at OV HELL. They sound like they're trying to imitate I.

I still don't get why people think you can make black metal with verses and choruses.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Oh my god SotM and NB tie-up :shlick:

The band that no longer exists in any recognisable form?

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I got the impression from the interview that it's the ones who aren't in the 'new' NB, for what it's worth.

In that case, sweet!

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

It seems that the new Krallice album, Dimensional Bleedthrough, has leaked. Review to follow...

After one listen, it hasn't amazed me like the first album and the title track did.

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007
I think those are the actual lyrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catbread.jpg
Feb 22, 2007

ElectricWizard posted:

Beastcraft are pretty good if you're into low-tempo grim black metal.

Awesome song, lollest video. I'll see if I can find the album.