Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Blood of Kingu is great. I like Drudkh/Hate Forest and all, but Blood of Kingu is a nice departure from the more atmospheric and slower stuff the other bands put out.

On a somewhat related note, how is the new Astrofaes album?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I just picked up Cor Scorpii's Monuments and I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. The influence of the members from Windir is obvious but they definitely have their own sound and that sound is good.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

I got to hear Samael's new album. It's a DEPARTURE from where they've been recently that's for drat sure. The production is bright but it's not bad at all. REALLY hard to tell I'm listening to samael.

I was hoping for a bit more of a return to the old sound like they promised, but it beats the balls off Solar Soul.

Departure is a bit of an understatement. I've been listening to Blut Aus Nord lately mostly because of this thread and Samael of all people have put me into a more aggressive rut.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The latest Katharsis has some cool parts, nothing groundbreaking but its pretty solid.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Sun of the Blind - Skullreader is full of excellent trippy atmospheric black metal that still manages to sound fantastically evil.

Thorns - Thorns sounds sort of like the later Emperor output, which is good. Fairly experimental.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Secks posted:

The samples on "Chorus Of Cracking Necks" made me laugh.

I like the alien televangelist in Whorecrown

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The new Immortal isn't bad but the only song that really sticks out with me is Arctic Swarm.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Death Rotisserie posted:

Pretty much, but the fact that I'm listening to this and headbanging along to it really exceeded my expectations.

Yea, it's a solid album and it exceeds my expectations...but not my dreams </3.

Edit: Gorgoroth straight up jams the gently caress out in Human Sacrifice.

bij fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 30, 2009

bij
Feb 24, 2007

corpserot posted:

New Dark Funeral music video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slPYjOg4I0Q

I wonder how they convinced David Lynch to lend them the Harkonnen costumes.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Drastus' new EP "Serpent's Chalice - Materia Prima" has some cool bits in it. The song "Resonance of Naught" is a definite highlight.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

pugna posted:

I really like it. It's not black metal any more, but it's epic and rocking and majestic and all that stuff. Track #4 is particularly awesome.

Yeah, whatever it is, it's pretty loving cool.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Razor posted:

I spent $100 to see Iron Maiden during their Somewhere Back in Time tour; it was worth it, too. I was center-stage, front row, for 2.5 hours of Maiden. Hands down, the best show I've ever seen.

On a more black metal note, I'm three tracks into the new Rotting Christ, and it's fantastic.

I like the direction Rotting Christ has gone in the last few albums, the short driving riffs really do something for them.

bij fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 9, 2010

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

+
a new album that doesn't suck...

I hope so

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I liked a fair bit of Drudkh's more atmospheric output but the new album bored the hell out of me. Their atmospheric stuff could stand being a bit repetitive at times because the songs actually went somewhere, nothing on Handful of Stars goes anywhere or does anything interesting.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Is anyone else a fan of Mgla? I've been on a bit of a kick lately and I wish they'd release something new. Their sound has always struck me as sort of unique but does anyone have any recommendations for something similar?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Hrafn posted:

They are amazing and I'm not familiar with anyone who sounds quite like them. Have you tried Katharsis?

I like a couple Katharsis songs but the band never struck me as sounding particularly similar to Mgla.

aliencowboy posted:

Hadn't heard of them until now. The opening of Groza IV knocked my socks off.

Groza IV is one of my favorites. Presence II and Further Down The Nest I are pretty killer as well. The albums in general are great but those songs stand out to me.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

RHTITE posted:

Go listen to the new Midnight Odyssey album, please. It's 2 hours long, and that will drive away a lot of jerks with bad taste and no attention span, but this really is an important album. Dis Pater has a very interesting combination of synth pop (house techno, Tangerine Dream styled ambient synths) and slow building Burzum styled Black Metal. He also shows much more influence from Shoe Gaze style Black Metal this time around, but without the silly maudlin self loathing you hear in most Shoe Gaze. His gaze is definitely outward and upward. Great record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i49Gye5euQ

I just listened to the album straight through and holy gently caress is it awesome.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

RHTITE posted:

Absolutely doesn't hold a candle to Midnight Odyssey. This project is much more guitar riff driven and focuses a lot more on his Doom Metal and new wave Goth punk influence, while still being drenched in synth. It's fully realized music, but feels like the trimmings from Midnight Odyssey sessions where his attention has wandered and his thinking strays to a more Heavy Metal mode. It's not really bad, but completely unnecessary after listening to Midnight Odyssey.

I think the album is worth listening to just for The Tombs of Subterranea.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Hawaii_Lame-O posted:

DAS TOR IS ON YOUTUBE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeWQrrCN8jU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcimCb52O9w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEROH_gMDSk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yedm2sSudD8

I am currently about 7 minutes into the 2nd track (30 minutes overall into the album), and I think this is the most intense stuff I've heard from the PDH side of Wintherr.

Every single one of these is fantastic, though it is kind of a bummer that half of Schlüssel is gusty wind noises.

bij fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 28, 2013

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Have you listened to PdH before?

I haven't, but I listen to a fair amount of ambient/atmospheric black metal so I'm aware that 15 minutes blocks of wind/forest/spooky noises are a thing. It's just sort of annoying to have to go fiddle with my playlist to skip fifteen minutes of loving wind noises after I listen to a song I otherwise like.

Are any of his other releases worth checking out? I like Darkspace and Zhaaral's Sun of the Blind side project.

bij fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 28, 2013

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Goddamn I love Kata Ton Daimona Eaytoy. It's the perfect blend of aggression, tempo, melodies, chanting, and basically everything I like. gently caress.

Yea, I've been digging the Rotting Christ sound over their past few albums, the most recent one is more of the same but they do it so well.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I've been listening to Mgła, Kriegsmaschine, and Plaga almost exclusively lately. Poland seems to have a grip on the depressing, angry, and hateful these days, has Poland produced anything else I should look up?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

kirkjames posted:

I don't know how many times I have to try to get people to listen to Cultes des Ghoules!!! Cultes des Ghoules!!!! Also Blaze of Perdition and Bestial Raids are fantastic polish BM.

But seriously Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane is the most underrated LP of 2013. It is flawless!

Oh man, I forgot all about Cultes de Ghoules. I dug the hell out of Henbane but it is sitting on a hard drive in a dead computer.

A human heart posted:

Selbstmord maybe, they're nazis though(but with poland that's not surprising).

Not bad, could do without the nazi bit but yea...Poland.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

When I was checking out Blaze of Perdition I came across their split with Devathorn. Reminds me of Melechesh, diggin it.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Idol is pretty much exactly what I want from Anaal Nathrakh. So long as they continue to stay more Vanitas, or any album other than Passion, really, I can dig.

That BAN cover kicks rear end. Edit: and it inspired me to pop in Memoria Vetusta II, goddamn that album is good.

bij fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 31, 2014

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I thought True traitor, True Whore was alight, but Scar Sighted is pretty goddamn great.

Apparently Midnight Odyssey has a new album in the works called Shards of Silver Fade, hadn't heard anything about it until today. They've got a preview track out and I'm liking it, especially the second half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ev8ntn2lM

Hits all the right Midnight Odyssey notes of death, space, and death in space.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'll second every Leviathan recommendation here, Massive Conspiracy is a must listen. I'd also check out the Howl Mockery At The Cross compilation if only for "Summoning Lupine"

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Whorelord posted:

I really dig मृत्यु का तापसी अनुध्यान by Cult of Fire, does anyone have any other recommendations for black metal that incorporates traditional (preferably non-western) music into the mix?

Other genres work too

Melechesh - Middle Eastern themed Black metal
Blood of Kingu - Same as above
Nile - Technical death metal with a hardon for Egypt
Rotting Christ - Greek black/death metal, the last couple albums have a lot of Middle Eastern stuff in them

bij
Feb 24, 2007

nomapple posted:

Also Midnight Odyssey have announced they're working on a new album for release in June. No previews yet though.

There's one song from the album out, been up for a while. I posted it a while back but here it is again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ev8ntn2lM

I like it, hits all the Midnight Odyssey bases. Space, death, death in space.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Hot drat!

Most of the relevant bands have been listed, but Sun of the Blind is worth checking out for even more atmospheric stuff, it's Zhaaral from Darkspace's side project.

bij fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 7, 2015

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Instinctus Bestialus loving slays, diggin the new vocals and return to crunchy hate.

The only song that I thought was particularly memorable on Quantos was Human Sacrifice.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Omi-Polari posted:

Thanks again for all the ABM recommends from last page.

The new Midnight Odyssey album is on the I, Voidhanger Records YouTube page.

:perfect:

Hot drat!

Death ✔
Space ✔
Death in Space ✔

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The new Mgla album is up in its entirety on the label's youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvGPAVTYfXI

Mgla is one of my favorite bands and Exercises in Futility doesn't disappoint. Good stuff. edit: IS REALLY FUCKIN GOOD, like, drat.

bij fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 8, 2015

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Here's a live video of one of Abbath's new songs~

FENRIR HUNTS

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Blue Wher posted:

Bekëth Nexëhmü

Oh man, thanks for this.

I've enjoyed most of the black metal I've heard this year but Mgla and Leviathan are the tops.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

coming to black metal after a long break, can you guys recommend me something similar to burzum and walknut? like, sad blanket black metal, hah.

Every single song by Midnight Odyssey is about death, space, or death in space. I like pretty much everything they've released.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Oh man, the whole album is fuckin dope. I like Funeral Mist Mortuus more than Marduk Mortuus.

Second listen edit: Yea, this is the good poo poo. Vocals are on point. Pallor Mortis and Cockatrice are the stand outs for me. Pallor is pretty much classic Funal Mist with the weird sample and the Burzum-y synth in Cockatrice is A++

bij fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jun 14, 2018

bij
Feb 24, 2007

There's a new Craft coming out and they put the album stream up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiCLnDDZ4w0

I like it, slow and chuggy.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Abbath is a loving dork and it is wonderful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_qa-wNbC4w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

That is fantastic and yea, the bassist is in the TRVE necrozone.