Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Death Rotisserie posted:

Darkspace - Dark Space III is out and it's the best BM album I've heard thus far this year. Ambient as hell but there are some loving killer riffs in here; totally unexpected.

By Ambient, would you say it's in the same vein as some of the late Burzum albums? Or am I totally off? I dunno I'm looking for the spiritual successor to Filosofem. Who can reccomend me that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Avant Gardening posted:

there's samples of it on here: http://www.aquariusrecords.org

i was worried that this was going to be a gimmick, but it's excellent. for being another bedroom bm act it is somehow incredible and new.

ordered. this is the motherfucking filosofem II i've been looking for.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

I just got the Gorgoroth Live in Krakow dvd. It's loving GREAT. The sound quality is better than all of the albums they're playing songs from. It's good enough you'll want to rip the audio. I only wish it was recorded after Ad Majorem so I could have seen Sign of an Open Eye live.

Absolutely a must for any fan. :colbert:

i got it last night. i knew i had to order it when i saw a lot of the tracks from under the sign of hell on it. hearing gaahl doing Profetens Åpenbaring was amazing.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Now I've got a question, do you guys switch genres a lot? Sometimes I find myself getting horribly jaded over black metal and I have to listen to other things for a while. What are your listening habits, if this is an appropriate place to ask.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

When not listening to BM (or other M, for that matter), I like listening to classical and folk music - especially 'world' music, though I despise that term. But, I do like listening to things like Sami yoiking, Tuvan throat singing, and the like.

But my favorite local radio station is definitely the Classical one.

Gotta say that I've heard some throat singing before and if there is a black metal cross over I have to hear it. Also on the "world music" category, I'd love to hear Kodo or another Taiko group co-op with bands or maybe just play "Sylvester Anfang." I suppose it all leads back to black metal.

Gvaz posted:

Sometimes when I'm feeling bad, I'll listen to music that follows my emotions. That's when I'll listen to dreary sort of music. For whatever reason, the ambient tracks on Filosofem are really good in that regard, because if you're just relaxing and listening to that, you can focus on the bleakness of the simple beats. (That sounds gay but whatever.) Anyways that's my 2 cents.

I think I follow. I'm of the opinion that the most evil song on Filosofem is "Rundgang..." even though on the surface its 3 or so rhythms for 24 minutes, with a slight change of pace around the 11 minute mark. And on the night of a crappy day I love to put on Dunkelheit, smoke a cigarette outside and look up at the stars. He created a great atmosphere.

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

There was a time when if you were a metalhead and you listened to anything BUT metal, you would get mercilessly teased. I mean, you could listen to the classic rock precursors to metal but that was about it. In 1988, if you had long hair and a denim jacket with a back patch of the Kill 'em All album cover on it (which I had), you absolutely could not admit to also liking, say, Depeche Mode.

I'm really loving glad that this has changed and people that listen to BM can talk about listening to trance and CPop without being called a massive human being.

I don't think it ever changed, I think we all grew out of that state of mind and didn't give a poo poo what other people thought. And then other people thought that was cool.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Death Rotisserie posted:

You caught the Chicago show? How was the indie pop band that opened for them?
http://www.myspace.com/wallydogger
I can't completely say that I can't believe these guys were supposed to open for Watain, but ugh what a complete non sequitur.

What the gently caress... everything I've known in a lie.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Alright, BM thread, tell me what you think of Von! I only know of them through Watains' wiki article. Are they worth listening to?

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
No Deathspell Omega mentions for him?

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Not Very Metal posted:

Heh, I haven't heard Annet, so I believe this is a "pickle."

Anyway, here is the interview on Blabbermouth, and the documentary you mentioned is here.

Wanna hear Ghaal's ambient album now.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
God drat, my copy of Pyha's Haunted House finally arrived in Iraq. :)

Openknees fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Nov 6, 2008

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

You live in Iraq? Wow. This may not be the place for it, but what's THAT like?

No dude I'm a US soldier, lol.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

deltawing posted:

Where you stationed in Iraq?

I was in Fallujah.

On topic, Vladimir from Mirrorthrone and various other projects is an absolute genius.

I'm up in Tikrit.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Qu Appelle posted:

Hrm.

Well, it appears that Peter Beste's photo book, True Norwegian Black Metal, is now out of print at Amazon. I ordered a copy last month at Barnes and Noble (truly the most :black101: chain bookstore out there), and I will hopefully be getting it in the next week or so. Now, B&N are showing it as Out of Print on their website; I hope I still get my copy. I did see it still listed as 'Available' through Borders.

Just a heads up, in case anyone else out there was interested in picking this up.

Good luck getting it man, it is a loving awesome book.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
I think my most favorite picture out of the whole book is the one with who I believe is Faust from Emperor in his front yard with his daughter running around in all pink. Just looking at it, its kind of a weird inverse.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Anyone checked out Dead To This World's First Strike For Spiritual Renewance? Saw an ad for it on Metal Underground and read a little about them on the CM distro site, sounds interesting.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
The new vocalist for the Inferno-side of Gorgoroth is Pest! Put on Under the Sign of Hell and rejoice.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Halo posted:

I haven't read the thread entirely and I have some ideas of where to look already, so I am throwing this question out there for myself and anyone with similar taste. Very specifically, what should I listen to that is very much like Emperor or Leviathan? Those are really the only two black metal artists I am very into right now.

I'd go with tried and true classics like Burzum, Dimmu Borgir and older Satyricon.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Picked up Sighs' Gallows Gallery, and I was really surprised. After the first listen I got the impression of Balzac trying to make music for Grandia II.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Okay so if I decide to explore further Sigh releases where should I go next? One of the "H" albums?

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

hey i have that same CF shirt

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
alright so i'm about to support my texas brothers and get some absu... the only stuff i've heard of theirs is a mayhem cover, and from listening to you guys its sounding like its going to be in the vein of watain or celtic frost... am i right?

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Kaiho posted:

The mouth harp is the new fuzzy guitar in black metal.

Seriously, when will someone bring steel drums into the genre?

I'm imagining steel drums in Dimmu Borgir's Entrance now...

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Dark Medieval Times.

That is all.

Seconded. Boosh.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
All this significant other talk has got me thinking, how do I get my wife into black metal?

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

het posted:

It depends a lot on what music she currently likes.

The heaviest she admits to going is stuff like Deftones or Slipknot... I've tried some In Flames as sort of a gateway but I only got a mild response. She normally listens to Hip-Hop, Reggeton, and old school Punk.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Truthfully I only really can get into the first three songs on Hellfire, but those three alone are really I all I need to hear to love 1349.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Bought a De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas reissue on vinyl today. There are very few moments where I like being in Germany and this is one of them.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
I can through Sigh and Behemoth's Grom into that...

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Clothes Optional posted:

well you guys just hate everything don't you

its the black metal bushido

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

so i just saw satyricon.

mother north, forhekset, nothing off dark medieval times, nothing off shadowthrone.

*sob*

I love DMT to death but I'm not surprised.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

I swore Filosofem started with an F

QFT

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

lordblytzkrieg posted:

In the vein of ICS Vortex with Dimmu Borgir you might wanna check out the song, "The Insight and the Catharsis." He single-handedly makes that song amazing. Also check out "The Kings of the Carnival Creation," he sings some really awesome parts in that one as well.

I don't think Dimmu has ever been considered "real" BM. They've always had symphonic elements with harsh vocals.

Vortex's solos on Dimmu albums Spiritual Black Dimensions and forward are totally awesome. And even though they were never really trve kvlt they helped me get into BM. To this day the original Stormblast is one of my favorite records ever.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Filosofem is great, all you have to do is stop the CD 10 minutes into Rundgang (or chop it down into a 10 minute track) and you got yourself a cool album.

No need to tinker with Hvist Lyset Tar Oss however....

I disagree. Rundgang I think is the most evil and introspective track on the album.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

I got tipped off to a pretty good band put together by Iscariah and Kvitrafn, Dead To This World. I guess they're not really new but it looks like their only album came out late last year. I sure hadn't heard of them and I don't remember seeing them mentioned here yet.

This is blackrock how it should be done. Satyricon take note.

http://www.myspace.com/deadtothisworld

I thought I posted this a while ago... the track 1942 is the best I've heard so far.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
While we're on metal movies, has anyone gotten to see Until the Light Takes Us?

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

aliencowboy posted:

Check out "Philosophy of Winter" by Forest Silence. I wouldn't go so far as to call it ambient, but the spacey sounding keyboards certainly make it nice and relaxing. :coolfish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9-7z96ECBM

This is badass, it's kind of like Det Som Engang Var

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
Gonna bump this thread with much love for Behemoth's Grom. Especially Lasy Pomorza. Saw some watchable footage of them playing it during the Apostasy tour in 07 and had to shout about it.

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007
edit; bad post

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

deltawing posted:

Everything from In Defiance and on is very similar, if you ask me. Maybe your tastes have changed? I dunno, Vermin and Slaves are very similar and In Defiance isn't too deviating from those two at all.

When you get to pre-Defiance is when poo poo starts sounding different.

Haven't touched the new album, but their Sons of Satan Gather for Attack/In the Shades of Life is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Openknees
Feb 25, 2007

deltawing posted:

Slaves of the World > Vermin, IMO, and I was a HUGE Vermin fan. Slaves of the World is more interesting and has more hooks. I dunno, it's loving great, definitely check it out!

I just remember Vermin having some awesome intros, so I'll have to take a look at Slaves.