Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Inquiring about a couple of new BM releases...

Gloria Morti's Eryx and Azaghal's Omega

Anyone heard positive reviews or otherwise of these? Dark Fortress's Eidolon has to be the most noteworthy black metal release of '08 thus far.

Dunno about Gloria Morti, but the new Azaghal is incredible. I haven't read any reviews, but we just got it in at the radio station I DJ at, and I was blown away. I never really paid attention to this band before, but this album is something else. Of course, since I don't have much prior experience, I can't really tell you how it stacks up to their back catalogue. Still, it's awesome. Breakneck speed, blazing riffs, production that is just dirty enough to be "true" while still being heavy... just great. I haven't listened to the whole thing to be honest, but the several songs I heard were very, very good. I'd say it ranks a close second to Eidolon at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I got a recommendation for you clowns. It's Fimbultyr! I read a really positive review of their debut album and I went to check it out. They are ostensibly a folk-metal band but I see it as kind of a black metal version of Amon Amarth. Check out their DongSpace page for details. It's not nearly as jaunty as the "folk metal" tag would have you believe. From what I've heard it's probably among the top black meatal releases this year.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Dehtraen posted:

And that douchebag from Velvet Cacoon stole all the songs appearing on that Pyha album from a female indie folk singer from Portland that no one has ever seen play live or heard of prior to this very moment.

Speaking of which, VC's new (real) album is apparently FINALLY going to come out. There's a sample here: http://www.fmp666.com/index2.html I guess it's supposed to be 2 discs and released in October. This is good news, but the preview track "Funeral Noir" was pretty disappointing. If the whole album is just ambient synth or whatever it'll be a huge letdown. The three real Velvet Cacoon albums are nothing short of amazing in my book, and I always thought the fake-albums thing was pretty funny because I don't know how anyone would believe it was the same band.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

modernlifeisadam posted:

What all new worth hearing has come out this year? All I've checked I think is the new mirrorthrone and Keep Of Kallesin, even though Gangrene didn't really catch me even as close to as much as Carriers of Dust, but eh.

Also what do you guys think of the new Abigail Williams tracks? mainstream lolo aside, I can't deny this poo poo, and their newer poo poo is A LOT more BM influenced then the older stuff I heard, and by BM I mean Emperor. Even the loving artwork is Emperor influenced/worship.

HELL NO BRAH, THAT poo poo IS METALCORE! FUCKEN SCENE KIDS TRYING 2 BE DIMMU CUZ THEY THINK THEY HARD

Just kidding, I like it. They are very capable musicians and have some pretty good songs. Actually I happened to see them in concert and that was what persuaded me to check them out again, because they were insane. They remind me a lot of Stormlord, and also Emperor like you said. The only thing I don't care for too much is the high-pitched vocals some of the time, but they seem to be better on the album than the EP. Also the singer had a mullet. A really small one, but a mullet none the less.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Not Very Metal posted:

That's Samus? He is good, really clean, articulate.

Is that an Abigail Williams tune as well?

Yeah, that's from the new CD. All his videos are pretty ridiculous. I'm pretty sure he was with them when I saw them live because you could see him pretty well. Everybody was talking afterward about "wow that drummer was amazing!" and so on.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Not Very Metal posted:

Sweet, he is good. After a few youtubed songs, I wouldn't call myself a fan, but this guy certainly knows what he's doing.

On another note, and this is probably old news, but I've been using Pandora.com to check out new bands. I've found with a spread of Gorgoroth, 1349, and Burzum stations, I get a pretty good sample of bands I've never listened to.

Highlights: Mord, Kampfar, Vreid, Marduk, and Vader. I know these aren't new bands, I've just never listened to them.

Ahhhh Kampfar is awesome. I got one of their CDs a while back but I always forget about it, though it's incredible. And of course Vader is essential listening for anybody into the ol' rockmetal. Are they coming out with a new album sometime soon?

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

aliencowboy posted:

I don't listen to a ton of Black Metal, but could you guys could give me the lowdown on mandatory ambient black metal? Summoning has been on constant repeat for the past few weeks.
http://www.myspace.com/upthehammers

Well this is the internet, so people are probably still angry about the whole "fake albums" debacle, but Velvet Cacoon's Northsuite and especially Genevieve are some of the most critically acclaimed, and certainly best in my estimation, ambient black-meatal albums. It doesn't sound like Summoning but it's nothing if not ambient.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

primitive posted:

Am I allowed to hate hardcore breakdowns in general but love them on the Abigail Williams album?

I also love it when they drop into blackened thrash in the bridges of a few of their songs, it's so delicious.

Are there even any breakdowns on the new album? I remember a recurring pseudo-breakdown on "Like Carrion Birds" from the Legend EP but none other than that.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

I guess what he means is instead of only appealing to people who wear bm shirts and studded leather jackets/belts/pants, it also appeals to people working in advetisement who wear orange sweaters.

I like the idea of a concert crowd for one of those bands being half a bunch of scowling dudes with their arms crossed wearing that uniform, and the other half is smiling guys in bright orange sweaters.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Fistful of Lotion posted:

Now I've got a question, do you guys switch genres a lot? Sometimes I find myself getting horribly jaded over black metal and I have to listen to other things for a while. What are your listening habits, if this is an appropriate place to ask.

Absolutely. I like black metal a lot, but it doesn't always fit into my mood at any given time, so I'm all over the place. I listen to all varieties of metal: death, black, doom, metalcore/deathcore (GASP!!), thrash, power metal, melodeath, avant-garde bla bla bla... Of course if you've seen some of my posts in the other metal topic you will see that I'm "open-minded" to the point where I end up dropping out of discussions because I like a lot of stuff that other people hate. Other than that, the other 1/4 of my listening is mostly taken up by rap and hardcore techno. Especially trancecore/freeform; that poo poo is hot, son! :c00lbert:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

I think most black metal fans would enjoy the black metal stylings of "sewage disposal" based band Stiny Plamenu.

http://www.myspace.com/diveintothewastewater

Their lyrics are based on some sort of sewer mythology that the band apparently made up, and they're mostly in some gay foreign language (lolol) so you can't understand them anyway, but they feature characters like The Sewage Disposal Lord, Lady of the Waterworks, Son of the Manhole Lids, and The Cesspool Master. The actual music is pretty good, very fast blastbeat stuff with good melodies and whatnot. I highly recommend it.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

het posted:

Zelezo Krvaci was great as was their earlier work but their most recent album was an enormous letdown. It didn't grab me as much as earlier stuff and worse they started adding stupid poo poo like completely out-of-place female vocals. ISTR pseudo-clean male vocals too but I'm not certain.

edit: also it's sort of annoying that people latch onto the whole "sewer metal" gimmick because their earlier stuff is legitimately good and who the gently caress cares about some dumb gimmick like that

Yeah I dunno, I like the latest album well enough. I think the sewer stuff is amusing but it's not like it affects the music at all.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Death Rotisserie posted:

Krallice.

Just curious, what does "hipster faggotry" consist of in a black metal context anyway? Does that just mean that Pitchfork likes them or what? (honest question)

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Noktorn posted:

Nah, Raw Hatred. It's the ninth song, 'Decimation Of Faggots'. I haven't heard that track in particular, but I have several of their other releases which are great if you're into ultra-raw, nasty black/thrash.

That's certainly one of the best/most ridiculous song titles I've heard of, along with Cob's "Triple Corpse Hammerblow" and Death Breath's "Giving Head to the Dead".

Edit, I almost forgot about "Dancing With My Son's Corpse" by Carnivore Diprosopus.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

Maybe there's more to black metal than what you like.

hipster spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

Well until a better way presents itself passive aggressive is still a method.

yeah, if you're a gaylord