Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
Belus is really picking up already ...

(Feb. 21)
"Two arrests have been made in a string of deliberately set church fires in east Texas, a fire official said Sunday.

Neal Franklin, fire chief of Tyler, Texas, would not divulge further details. A news conference was scheduled for later Sunday afternoon.

Ten church fires have happened in east Texas this year. Nine of them have been ruled arson."

http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/two-arrested-in-string-of-texas-church-fires/19367183

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

lol_internet posted:

Perhaps there are others I haven't found yet from around 2000-present that are good to check out - just to get a sense of what the people in this thread consider to be "good" modern BM.

Check out Evilfeast. I considering him to be one of the most underrated BM projects of the 2000s. 3 full-lengths and just raw material.

Here an example off one of the albums ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iX1bI-9b3w

lol_internet posted:

I defy you to listen to Bathory's "Under the Sign of the Black Mark" (1987) and not call it black metal.

Its like we forgot about Old Funerals Demo in 89

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 26, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Caucasus Belli posted:

This is loving amazing tyvm for bringing it to my attention

Yeah if you didnt already hear some of his other tracks, here is another great track ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEefW_XViP8

Ill suggest getting a copy of Lost Horizons of Wisdom, if you only get only one Evilfeast Album. But all the albums are def. worth checking out. Off of the album Lost Horizons of Wisdom, the track called My Tower Among the Timeless Mountains is just a masterpiece of BM synth / guitar. That is indeed my favorite track of Evilfeast and has to be heard at all costs. In fact, I will challenge Filosofem with that track, and that is saying a lot.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Your imagine hosting website is NWS

Otherwise, where can I find a copy of that ?

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

tea4lyfe posted:

Hayaino Daisuki is harder and blacker

How really do you define harder and blacker

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

catbread.jpg posted:

Hey I just wanted to share the VBS documentary Heavy Metal in Baghdad, whether you care about Acrassicauda music or not, their story from going from the first ever Metal Band in Baghdad, receiving death threats, playing songs for Saddam as ordered under the regime, fleeing to Syria, then Turkey, then eventually being granted Refugee status in New Jersey is an excellent story. And watching a bunch of underground Iraqi and Syrian dudes rockin out to Metal is worth watching as well.

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/acrassicauda--2/heavy-metal-in-baghdad-feature

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Morbid Florist posted:

the music is nothing special.

I guess that is a product of growing up with like only 4 or 5 bootleg CDs as your entire inspiration.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

QPZIL posted:

1349 have a new song up on their Myspace page - "Atomic Chapel" from their upcoming album, Demonoir. Wow, a dumb song name and a dumb album name. Whatever.

This song kind of sucks, I think they had their better days already.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
I watched Severed Ways - The Norse Discovery of America again, and I just cant make out what language they are speaking ? Is it made up ?

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Horrorca posted:

Best black metal album ever? Quite probably, yes.

I personally think Hordaland was their best.

Also, best Metal Band ever ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aovaRsVV28&feature=player_embedded

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
Just started listening to early Arckanum, I have been missing out ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWr1NM-KNv4

I really dont grasp music too quickly, this is probably the first new band ive taken to in months. Even their newer stuff sounds pretty good, but Im just sucking in the old stuff first.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Caucasus Belli posted:

Shame it's boring and terrible backpeddling aimed at placating the howling mob QQing over Revelations having actual ideas

Yeah kind of what I was thinking. Sounds like they wanted to stick with the style of Revelations but spiced it up to appeal to the criticism. Ill give it a few more listens but I dont think Im getting too into it.

Just started Peste on La Sanie Des Siecles, what does someone suggest is next ?

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
Alatyr from Slovakia, totally stumbled upon them by accident ... apparently they only have made one album self titled released in 2007, but if you like the ambient - BM stuff they caught my ear ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb_o8l7Uc_U&feature=related

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

lordblytzkrieg posted:

So, what song or band do you think epitomizes the genre of black metal?

Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid always works for me as an example to others. Although it doesn't touch upon the Blast Beat aspect, I dont believe Black Metal is as rooted in Blast Beats alone. A lot of people on the outside like to look at Black Metal as the the "fastest, satanic, heaviest kind of music" which is why I think its better to give some other examples, rather then putting on Gorgoroth - Pentagram for them. I say For All Tid really is an over all example of how Black Metal initially spawned in Synth, Scream Vocals, Fast guitar, and lyrics pertaining to Nature / European History.

So I say play a few songs for your friend, so he can understand the spawning of a variation of Black Metal around the same time. Play for him something off of ... Immortal - Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism, Darkthrone - Transylvania Hunger, Dimmu Borgir - For All Tid, Burzum self titled, Gorgoroth - Pentagram. I think that covers the fast, the blast beats, the synth, and the occasional satanic element. Bonus points for giving him Moonblood - Blut und Krieg.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Not Very Metal posted:

I just ebay'd Evilfeast's Funeral Sorcery.

If you like it, check out his latest album Lost Horizons of Wisdom next. I personally think it is his best.

Here is one of the tracks off the album ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEefW_XViP8

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 29, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Not Very Metal posted:

Awesome, that's a great track and I'll check that album out as well. Funeral Sorcery showed up today, roughly a week after I ordered it. Not too bad, considering it was shipped from Greece.

Listening to the Split that Evilfeast did with Marblebog, I suggest to check out this project from Hungary ...

From the Split with Evilfeast ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X86fI-6s3iY&feature=PlayList&p=20A9712A3CE8C5F0&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=27

From their 2005 Album "Forestheart" ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP_ZEAtWRTE

Evilfeast also dropped a demo last year called "Wolves of the Hyperborean Frost", and one of the tracks is a synth cover of Burzum's Der Tod Wuotans ... which is awesome.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 9, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Fuklaw posted:

and black metal more than any genre can use all the diversity it can get.

I would feel safe saying that most people are expecting something when they listen to a project simply labeled "Black Metal", and that something isn't something diverse and out there on the edge.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

NATO posted:

I think that's the point.

Then why call it anything related to the genre Black Metal ?

It's a problem I encounter with certain projects that will label themselves in multiple categories like Black Metal / Death Metal / Hardcore. It would seem it just has to do with trying to drive the Black Metal fan base towards their music, not so much that they are trying to create Black Metal.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 23, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
Bergthron - Verborgen in den tiefen der Wälder is awesome, its 30 minute long track from like 1997.

I am so behind on my black metal.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

ruinedhero posted:

How long can you stick with a format that has such a glass ceiling for any chance of success.

If you are attempting success, simply don't start creating Black Metal. I don't think anyone is truthfully annoyed with modern day bands like Dimmu Borgir, Satyricon, etc. because they are successful. People are annoyed with the fact that they over-produce their sound these days. It is not the grim, distant ambient-distorted sound it once was. And major record labels, which will give you a chance to live part of your life by touring and through royalties just wont pick you up. Or they will, if you produce with them for your next release. To even be recognized in major Metal magazines depends on what label you are on, if thats how you judge success in Metal.

But I would argue that Taake is a fairly successful Black Metal band, which has still kept true to the Genre.

So what is my point ... I'm not ever sure anymore, but basically you are either a Black Metal project or you are not. If you made a first album that was Black Metal and that was the intent, and your intent is to no longer make Black Metal because you want to "break the glass ceiling out of Black Metal for success" ... why bother to keep the same name, or even simply the persona that you are a Black Metal project ?

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

RHTITE posted:

Indie Shoegazer Black Metal is loving stupid and this album is the terrible among the bad.

You said it. I just listened to it and it's horrible.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Not Very Metal posted:

Stuff

Hey I know you like Evilfeast, I just stumbled upon his Demo "Thy Abhorrent Emerging" when I thought I had all his releases ... anyhow it is just excellent and I suggest you check it out, even if just for this song ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7J7BCWGtcY ... but all 3 tracks on the Demo are terrific.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
This one man project from Sweden is called Lustre, although I've only heard the release Welcome Winter, it is nice ambient / black ... although rather repetitive ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKnQO1yxREY ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqK7dmcC41Q&feature=related ... these are the only 2 tracks on the release.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 5, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

SinetheGuy posted:

What can the experts recommend in that atmospheric/drony vein? More Burzum is in order, of course.

I am again going to plug 'Evilfeast - Lost Horizons of Wisdom'. The fourth track on the album titled "My Tower Among The Timeless Mountains" is the best Synth / Black Metal track I have ever heard.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

SinetheGuy posted:

The only thing I'm not sold on is the mostly blast beat stuff, like Mayhem.

Also, is it just me, or does ambient BM tend to have eerily quasi-fascist undertones, more so than other kinds of BM? Is that Varg's influence? I got into Walknut and started looking into their stuff; it didn't take too long to find various fascist acts associated with them. Getting that caught up with Germanic heritage can't be healthy.

I never got into Mayhem personally. I think if they didn't have such an involved history, they wouldn't have been well known for their music alone.

Don't spend too much time getting caught up with BM projects for their pro-Germanic stance, you are going to miss some great stuff. Taake, Peste Noire, Burzum, etc.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 12, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Openknees posted:

The transition from the synth to the guitars threw me for a loop because the qualities between are completely different, but aside from that I really enjoyed it from about 1:55 onward. Kinda gave me an Arcturus meets Burzum feel. Hows the rest of the album play?

It's literally one of my favorite albums of all time, but I'm not sure why the Synth to Guitar transition surprised you, considering the track opens with the same Synth and Guitar, transitions to just the Synth, then back to both.

I post Evilfeast periodically here for who is interested, you can check this track off a different album and if you like it, you'll probably like Evilfeast as a whole ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iX1bI-9b3w

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 12, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
Edit: Was going to link some good UGBM blogs, but I think it might be frowned upon. Is it okay to mention the name of the blogs, without any links to them?

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Oct 15, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Thats so Mandrill! posted:

This is old stuff I made

hope you like it...if not...
(vid is not important,,,though there should have been more space pics)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNp8R87hHF8

You have my support.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

bleedbackwards posted:

Also anyone who's into the heavily melodic stuff like Lantlos should probably check out Deafheaven.

This isn't Black Metal. The second song is acoustic and it's called "Bedrooms". I'm really disappointed if this is becoming people's perceptions of Black Metal in America, because earlier today I came across a band named "Moonlite Wake" from the USA who label themselves as, among other things, "Atmospheric Black Metal" and they just are not. It's going to be really sad to witness coming Indie / Shoegazer projects from the USA trying to pass as Black Metal, if that is the new trend.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 17, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

bleedbackwards posted:

Are you serious? The idea that a black metal band can't have a song called "Bedrooms" is pretty close-minded.

Yes, black metal is being integrated into slightly more accessible forms of music. The same thing happened with death metal a few years ago. I promise you'll live. The people who get into these kinds of bands and think "Wow this black metal stuff is pretty cool" are not the kind of people who would have gotten into traditional black metal anyway.

Yes I am completely serious. Except for some minor examples, Black Metal tends to pride itself on its disassociation with other Genre's. And why should it not ? Black Metal is very closed minded, which is why an acoustic song named "Bedrooms" is simply not Black Metal.

This art form known as "Black Metal" is not being integrated into more accessible forms of music, however other Bands / Projects (like this "Deafheaven" project, which I am not bashing in any way shape or form, just simply pointing out that it is not Black Metal) that have the common American Screamo / Hardcore / Indie sound and un-intelligible vocals, seem to enjoy tacking on the "Black Metal" label at the end of their projects. Whether this is because Black Metal is now a little more accessible to the public (via Peter Beste Photography / Documentaries / Brooklyn - NYC Symposiums, etc.) and Bands / Projects wish to tap into the fan base, or they have a mis-perception of what the sounds-atmosphere is to create Black Metal, I can assure you that Bands like Deafheaven are not Black Metal.

bleedbackwards posted:

I don't read this thread often

I am not bashing in any way this type of music that wants to have, if anything, a very distant influence or label of "Black Metal" attached to it, but I am simply not going to accept it as Black Metal.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 16, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Kaiho posted:

Urgh this discussion is doing my head in.

All I simply said was I do not in any way consider Deafheaven to be Black Metal, then a bunch of people threw in "Vikings", "Satan" and "Corpse Paint" from left-field. Whether it would be nice if Genres didn't exist or not, they do, and I am more then certain that many other people who like Black Metal, like myself, would be quick to judge a Band / Project which labels itself Black Metal and doesn't have many qualities which made up the Tradition of the Black Metal genre. What that Tradition is and what makes up Black Metal ... come to your own conclusions. Mine simply say Deafheaven and certain groups which are either influenced slightly, or are attempting to draw on a Fan Base do not apply to how I define the Genre. I don't believe lordblytzkrieg and I want a debate or a discussion, we are just stating our opinions.

Anyhow, you guys ever listen to Strid ? They did not many songs, then the Bass / Vocalist killed himself. I'm fond of the "End of Life" demo, which is one song ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNa6t0SnLLc ...

And the Strid EP from 1994 is kind of dreary.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 20, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
Darkthule / The Shadow Order / Frostkrieg Split from earlier this year is def. worth checking out.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
You might have liked it more if you got the HOT TOPIC EDITION which includes ...

11. "Dimmu Borgir" (orchestral version) 5:35
12. "Perfect Strangers" (Deep Purple cover) 5:01
13. "DMDR (Dead Men Don't Rape)" (GGFH cover) 4:24

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
One release I have tried as hard as possible to get, or even just to hear for the sake of knowing how it was, is Sigfader which the line-up was ...

Gaahl (Kristian Eivind Espedal) - Vocals (Gorgoroth)
Goatboy (Tarjei Øvrebotten) - Guitar (Deathcult (Nor), Infernal Manes)
Skagg (Stian Lægreid) - Guitar (Taake, Deathcult (Nor))
Thurzur (Jan Atle Lægreid) - Guitar (Taake, Deathcult (Nor))
Kvitrafn (Einar Selvik) - Drums (Bak De Syv Fjell, Gorgoroth)

According to Enclopedia Metallium they released something in 1999, but I have never been able to even hear what it sounded like, let alone much other info about it, but they do have a promo photo so they planned something. I thought of it to be along the lines of a failed project like God Seed, but it says they did release something.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=23121

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

drainpipe posted:

It sounds like you're into atmospheric stuff. Check out Drudkh (not their newest), Alcest's Le Secret EP, Walknut.

Wellll Drudkh I think has some "negativeness" in their lyrics.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Groke posted:

For those of us who do not understand Ukrainian, this is a pretty distant concern.

Drudkh was essentially formed by members of Hate Forest, a rather open NSBM act, and I thought the implications of "Sunwheel" on the first Drudkh release were leaning towards the far right, even though I don't understand the lyrics. I am just saying if he / she isn't looking for the negative in BM ...

If we are talking Atmospheric I'll again throw out Lustre - Welcome Winter.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 12, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Anathema Mameshiba posted:

Discuss NSBM on this page I guess

Go for it. I already mentioned the Darkthule / Shadow Order / Frostkrieg split from this year being very good.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Has anyone ever recorded an album in a forest? It seems like a very black metal thing to do.

Wardruna probably did 1/4th of theirs in the Forest, if you consider their ambient water / wind / bird / etc. sounds, Kvitrafn went out with a portable recorder to get them. He mentioned that's one reason why it took him so long to finish it, getting the right equipment to record those sounds.

edit: can anyone suggest the best Hate Forest album to start with ?

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 28, 2010

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis
If Gorgoroth re-records any album, I'm going to throw them into the modern Dimmu Borgir pool. Quantos was tolerable but nothing special in my opinion.

I got Hate Forests "Sorrow" album and I really like it. "Fog" was a particularly good song. I'll ask again if anyone can recommend where I go next with them ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

ElectricWizard posted:

I actually thought Belus was quite good, with a couple of great tracks.

I liked Belus, and I always liked Det Som Engang Var a lot. But I have a serious problem once an established Black Metal artist starts up-talking a new scheduled release. I usually anticipate disaster. He's getting a little lazy on the song names.

I think 'Valen' is either 'the fields of battle' or 'the fallen warriors'.

Plasma1010 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 13, 2011