Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

catbread.jpg posted:

A month late, but these guys are pretty loving good, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

that's pretty disheartening. especially the day after I got my black mass dvd.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

^ yeah, that sums up what I was thinking.

Gvaz posted:

How so? I don't see how him being gay should have any bearing on him as a musician, unless he suddenly starts singing about designing the most "kvlt" fashion for Satan or something.

oh, it totally doesn't. I wasn't trying to knock his sexuality, just that fact that he now has a woman's clothing line. the juxtaposition between "black metal musician" and "fashion designer" strikes me as a bit odd.

e: clarity

Not Very Metal fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 24, 2008

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

I checked the latest few pages of NMD and the SA mart, and couldn't find anything worthwhile, sooo...

I'm looking for a reliable US based store to pick up a 1349 t-shirt or two. I've checked eBay, but I'm not a huge fan of buying bootleg, and the only merch partners listed on the 1349 site are in England and Norway. I'll pay the $40 to have a shirt or two shipped from there, but don't want to if I don't have to.

Any good links?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Nice, thanks. I gave them a call and they guy answered like it was his loving house, "Yeah?" Good prices though, and the shirt I was looking for.

Hmm, I'll keep looking, and taking suggestions.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Morbid Florist posted:

I just got the Gorgoroth Live in Krakow dvd. It's loving GREAT. The sound quality is better than all of the albums they're playing songs from. It's good enough you'll want to rip the audio. I only wish it was recorded after Ad Majorem so I could have seen Sign of an Open Eye live.

Absolutely a must for any fan. :colbert:

Agreed. It's awesome to see Infernus and Gaahl together on stage. Actually, this is one of my favorite lineups of the band in general. Also love the Kvitrafn shots between the toms. So evil.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Morbid Florist posted:

I just really hope what I've read is right, that Infernus hasn't written much and King and Gaahl have been taking more of that on in the last few years. The whole two band thing is gay enough but to think both might really suck without the other...

It's also kinda depressing to think the Gaahl band might not be able to play the pre-Destroyer songs anymore, but I don't know how that sort of thing works.

If I remember right, I think King and Gaahl have been doing most of the writing for the last two or three albums. You can really tell; I think everything post-Destroyer has moved away from the classical music influenced BM into more of the "Second Wave" sound. Case in point would be the industrial elements of Incipit and guttural overdistortion of Twilight.

I registered an account on the Gorgoroth forums, and the cool thing there seems to be hating on the Gaahl/King incarnation. Honestly, I don't get it. Not only do I think that they've produced some of their best works with Gaahl, I think that he specifically is one of the better vocalists in the genre. I haven't heard any legal discussions that haven't been centered around the Grieghallen fiasco, so I'm not sure what kind of copyrights Infernus will be able to secure either.

In any case, this band is easily in my personal top five BM bands (with any lineup), and I don't mind admitting that I'm a complete Gorgoroth slut. Florist, I'll extend your original invitation regarding the DVD from any fan of the band to any fan of BM in general. Seriously, pick it up.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

That's Samus? He is good, really clean, articulate.

Is that an Abigail Williams tune as well?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

krustster posted:

Sweet, he is good. After a few youtubed songs, I wouldn't call myself a fan, but this guy certainly knows what he's doing.

On another note, and this is probably old news, but I've been using Pandora.com to check out new bands. I've found with a spread of Gorgoroth, 1349, and Burzum stations, I get a pretty good sample of bands I've never listened to.

Highlights: Mord, Kampfar, Vreid, Marduk, and Vader. I know these aren't new bands, I've just never listened to them.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

You're forgetting one crucial piece of equipment:

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

modernlifeisadam posted:

Am I reading too much into your post, or is this some 1349 hate?

That'd be too bad if it was. 1349 owns.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Misogynist posted:

1349 is entertaining live when stuck onto an already good bill but otherwise uninteresting and terrible

Uninteresting and terrible? You should've followed that up with a "username delivers" burn. :rolleyes: He he he...

I'll give you Ravn as an example of the former, but what makes them terrible?

Part of those thoughts come solely from Frost on kit, I mean, the man is a machine. I guess the remainder come from the fact that it's some of the fastest and fiercest BM I've heard. I've never listened to any of the members' parent bands though (to my knowledge*), so I should probably give them a listen before really arguing vehemently.

modernlifeisadam posted:

No, I like 1349, but they're pretty archetypal, and if you listen solely to bands like them, and Marduk, etc I can see how one would think the genre is "dead and stale"

Right on. Yeah, if that is the main type of groups you listen to, dead and stale is appropriate.

*except for Satyricon and Gorgoroth, duh...

Not Very Metal fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 2, 2008

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Gr31lly posted:

1349 are pretty generic norsecore. They don't reinvent the wheel and they're not particularly amazing at what they do either. A mediocre band who garner a lot of attention because of who their drummer is and because he plays real fast.

If all you want is brutal and chaotic black metal with speed as the primary element Antaeus are the band to go to.

I hear what you're saying, but I still disagree with part of your statement. I won't claim to say they reinvented the wheel either, hell, I'm new enough to the genre to not make really outlandish claims. I think the only thing that 1349 does poorly in a BM sense is that they are too clean technically. There are slips in the tracks, but not the unintentional drastic tempo changes I hear in other bands. I will say that 1349 was a breath of fresh air for me after getting a lot of lovely death/thrash/speed metal band recommendations. I still can't go a day or so without popping in one of their discs.

That said, Antaeus is currently punching me in the face. It's awesome, thanks for the heads up.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Fistful of Lotion posted:

Now I've got a question, do you guys switch genres a lot? Sometimes I find myself getting horribly jaded over black metal and I have to listen to other things for a while. What are your listening habits, if this is an appropriate place to ask.

Within the genre of 'Metal,' I do. I love the BM, but I've got about a dozen other death/folk/viking/speed metal albums that get regular play. Old Metallica albums have been a staple of mine since middle school.

Outside of metal, I listen to a lot of 'rock' music - King Crimson, Primus, some Tool, and your run-of-them-mill classic rock groups: Led Zep, Sabbath, Hendrix, Doors, etc. I'm also a fan of jazz/rock stuff like Mahavishnu, John McLaughlin, Miles' later stuff, Jaco, Return to Forever, and the like.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

sephiroth669 posted:

I haven't seen them mentioned in the thread anywhere, so I'll throw out Trelldom as a really good band. Or at least a band with a really good album: Til Et Annet... is classic BM sound (Darkthrone, Burzum, Taake etc) that's just catchy as poo poo. Also features Gaahl on vocals, I just now saw that. Anyway highly recommended for the old school appeal.

Hell yeah, I discovered them a couple of months ago as well. I've only got Till Minne, how is Til Et Annet?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Wow, that's a pretty cool interview. I'm having a hard time believing all of the [laugh] interjections there. Awesome, excited to hear the effect his coming out has on the new album, if any.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

sephiroth669 posted:

I haven't heard Til Minne yet, but if it's anything like Til Et Annet then I need to :) Annet is 'catchy' black metal the same way as Taake's debut or A Blaze in the Northern Sky.

Heh, I haven't heard Annet, so I believe this is a "pickle."

Anyway, here is the interview on Blabbermouth, and the documentary you mentioned is here.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Morbid Florist posted:

He has an ambient album??

If you're talking about the instrumental stuff they play during the TNBM documentary, that's not gaahl, that's Gorgoroth's old drummer kvitrfan's new band Wardruna. THAT I want to hear, once it's done.

Yeah, Gaahl mentions it in that Blabbermouth interview iirc. God, what kind of fan are you? :rolleyes: He he he...

I listened to a couple tracks from Kvitrafn's wardrum disc, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

Oh yeah, did you end up going as Gaahl to work?

efb

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Why does nobody like the newer Gorgoroth albums? They're awesome as far as I'm concerned, they're just not as easy listening as the earlier output.

We're still out here, but it seems the numbers are dwindling.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Has anyone heard news about either new Gorgoroth album? I know the name/rights trial is set for the last week of this month, but neither the Gaahl/King nor the Infernus websites are particularly helpful.

In other news, Kvitrafn's Wardruna comes out on the 19th!

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Agreed. Hopefully the end of the month will be the end of this baby poo poo too. Wardruna sounds loving awesome, and I've also been digging the stand alone player on that site.

I checked the myspaces for both, and there isn't anything at either. Aside from their own sites, I don't know where else to look.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Just saw this on Blabbermouth searching for the Gorgoroth trial news:

Wardruna - Dagr (Live)

I think it's pretty neat. Not "metal" per se, but maybe metal by association...?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

I listened to it on their MySpace page, and I'll probably pick it up next week after I get paid. I've got a buddy from Poland who is really into BM. His friends will buy albums there and ship them to him (and therefore me too) here in the states for cheap - awesome.

Satyricon is playing Detroit tonight but I can't go. Unfortunately I'm required to attend my girl's grandparents 50th anniversary party.

:suicide:

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Misogynist posted:

I missed Estradasphere a few years ago because I had already committed to bring a girl to see Teddybears the same night :(

They didn't play any of their Teddybears STHLM grindcore stuff :( :(

We got really drunk and stumbled to a french fry dive in the Village though :unsmith:

Jesusfuck, that's what, like a triple bummer? That sucks man, but you got drunk, and that's always good.

In fact, that's one of two things that will make the night not a total loss for me.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Groke posted:

Are they letting Frost into the US yet or do they play with a substitute drummer again?

You know, I'm not sure. The last I heard about Frost is that he was working with Ghaal and King for their new Gorgoroth album (yessss). 1349 has been in the states as recent as September of last year, but they used Tony Laureano.

I don't have time to really explore Satyricon's website before I leave, but I would bet they'll use Trym Torson or Joey Jordison like they have in the past.

So, yeah. Not sure, but probably some substitute.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

It has been documented and now confirmed by chubby metal goons that Frost is stateside with a rather daper looking Satyr for Satyricon's current US tour opening for Cradle of Filth.

Well, there you have it then. And yeah, that's Frost on the left. I had the same reaction when I first saw him without paint on. Nearly every other BM musician looks normal, not Frost. Not Frost.

Oh, is that you Baron?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

I've got a few extra dollars in the pocket, and was thinking of itunesing a couple Satyricon albums. I currently have none, so how about a couple good recommendations?

Through the power of friends, Pandora, and youtube, I've liked everything I've heard, but tend to gravitate towards the early stuff.

Thanks!

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Openknees posted:

Seconded. Boosh.

Good deal. Picked that up and Darkthrone's Transylvanian Hunger. Thanks guys, more to come at my next paycheck.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

I agree with Morbid Florist. I like both factions of the group, but iirc, King did most if not all of the writing on the last couple of albums. Old Gorgoroth is a classic BM band, thanks to Infernus' writing, and it'll be interesting to hear what he puts out in the next couple of years. For his sake and his die-hard fans, I hope it's a return to the Antichrist/Pentagram days.

On the flipside, I hope Gaahl and King keep going in the direction they have been. The last few Gorgoroth albums are pretty sweet IMO.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

OMTSIBFIHOP is pretty loving kvlt. And for sure, Gorgoroth is a cool word, but now there is a lot of stigma attached to it. Who gives a poo poo what name they use, as long as they all keep writing.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Kaiho posted:

As much as black metal is supposed to be about introspection and noncommerciality, there are a lot of angsty teens out there who have a GorgorotH patch on their hot topic bag and will only buy albums with names they recognize.

edit: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=115816 holy poo poo

I had a friend who worked a summer at Hot Topic. I asked if he could get sweet t-shirts for cheap, but looked at me funny when I named off bands. Which is for the better, I suppose. Let the scene kids buy what they want, I just want new albums from these guys.

I saw your post in the other metal thread about Varg. Grrreeeeaaat. I've said it before, the best thing he's done for metal in recent years is stay in jail.

Also: "Barad-dm"

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

So I was at the bar the other night, and my buddy Miras gave me a flash stick with about 8 gigs of music on it. Here is a complete list of everything:

1349 Discography
Autopsy Severed Survival, Torn From the Grave
Bathory Discography
Blackened, Vols 1 5
Blackmetallilitto Various
Breath of Sorrows Through Darkness to Battle I Ride
Children of Bodom Bodom Covers
Dark Funeral Discography
Darkmoon Warrior - In Fundis Inferiorum
Darkthrone Discography
Enslaved Vertebrae
Gospel of the Horns Realm of the Damned
Immortal Pure Holocaust
Khors The Flame of Eternitys Decline
Marduk Dark Endless, Those of the Unlight, Opus Nocturne
Samael Blood Ritual, Cermony of Opposites and Rebellion
Satyricon Now, Diabolical
Tartaros The Grand Psychotic Castle, The Red Jewel

Most of the stuff Ive listened to and enjoyed, the exception being Samael.

I threw the 1349, Marduk, Dark Funeral, Darkmoon Warrior, Darkthrone, Marduk, and Satyricon on my iPod. Whats the consensus on Autopsy, the Blackened and Blackmetallilitto comps, Gospel of the Horns, Khors, and Tartaros?

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Cool, thanks for the feedback! I'm really digging the Marduk and Darkmoon Warrior stuff. Samael I found to be kind of boring, I don't know.

This biggest problem I'm having is that these were apparently mostly acquired via :filez:. A few of the albums are only partials, with the missing tracks labeled as "BC!." I'm not one to torrent, so I'm stuck with some incomplete albums. I'm not too worried, I'm treating the missing albums as warm-ups to see what I'll purchase.

I think I'm going to pull the Samael from my iPod and replace it with GotH, as that is the one band I'm not really familiar with and have a full album.

Good looking out guys!

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

deltawing posted:

1349 - Hellfire is one of the better modern Black Metal releases if you ask me.

Morbid Florist posted:

Marduk > 1349

These are both true statements. 1349 didnt get a lot of love ITT for some reason.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Openknees posted:

Truthfully I only really can get into the first three songs on Hellfire, but those three alone are really I all I need to hear to love 1349.

To Rottendom and From the Deeps ( :cthulhu: ) are awesome songs. I think Beyond the Apocalypse is a better album, it's more raw.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Has anyone heard the new 1349 yet?

Is it any good?

I've found this thread moves much better when you don't mention 1349.

I'll still be buying that album, and probably loving the poo poo out of it.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Just listened to those guys for the first time, and I agree. It's ok stuff, I like the composition and more BM musical styling of the new tunes over the old.

The drums are mixed a bit loud, and the whole band is just kinda meh.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Morbid Florist posted:

Listen to the first album. It's not the most blackened thing on earth but it was drat good melodic black. Everyone seemed to know their part and played with gusto. This one sounds kinda phoned in and mixed like rear end. I was fired up for the blacker approach until I heard that was the only improvement.

I'm out for the day, but I'll do some digging tomorrow and take a listen.

Of course, I'm still on a big Immortal/Marduk/Dark Funeral kick after getting that collection from my buddy. May be a while before I get heavily into anything new.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Morbid Florist posted:

Naglfar : Sheol

Listened to this today on Youtube, and it is pretty loving awesome. It kinda reminds me of every other melodic/black band, but is better than dimmu and that's good enough for me.

Way to come through again, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

Morbid Florist posted:

edit: Since the thread is going nowhere and we're here talking about mediocre, allow me to throw out a band that isn't: Koldbrann - Nekrotisk Inkvisition. No frills back to basics black. Their other albums aren't bad but this one I can't stop listening to

This disc loving rules. This is what Im talking about!

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

As promised: Thank you, Chrys, for recommending Dark Funeral! Eidolon is loving awesome and I look forward to checking out everything else they have ever done.

Check out Diabolis Interium. - e: the DF album, sorry for any confusion....

Not Very Metal fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 7, 2009