Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Nanook Rubs It posted:

I have been listening to Marduk's Rom 512 constantly today. What do you guys think about Marduk?

I think they're pretty good, although I like their singles alot. That cd however is especially fun to listen to.

Also don't tell me you guys don't like Make A Change... Kill Yourself. Their new cd is almost as good as the self titled :v:

Hung Yuri fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 21, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Dyna Soar posted:

What makes it even harder for me is the fact that over half of the bm bands I like are nazis, and I hate nazis. I don't want to get mixed with them in any way, but man they can do some pretty awesome music :(

If you like NSBM, but hate the nazi's (like me), then give Nokturnal Mortum a try if you haven't already. You won't be able to understand what they're saying unless you speak Ukrainian anyways.

And the lyrics aren't that NS anyways, just the band members themselves.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Morbid Florist posted:

The only people who care what others think of their music haven't even reached college yet.

I don't care what others think of my music either, but (a little deviating here) one thing I'd never do is impose music like Marduk or something on others.

"Hey man, lets listen to some killer Marduk!" that doesn't really work with my friends who like metalcore, although I wish it did so they'd stop listening to it for the most part. :(

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I was out shopping with my gf today and we decided to peek into the Hot Topic since it was weirdly bright, and I figured there might be one single shirt or CD I would find that I liked, and lo and behold, I found one single CD of Darkthrone's Panzerfaust. It was seriously the only black metal cd in the whole store. I bought it of course, but what, if anything do you think this means?

Is black metal going to go more mainstream, or do you think it's just a fluke?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Dyna Soar posted:

Well if I recall correctly, .m4a files are just mp3 files in disguise and "re-encoding" them can be done by just changing the file type to .mp3 manually. But if I'm completely wrong which is very possible you'll need a program for it. You can google m4a to mp3 converter or go here if you don't know how to google.

I believe mp3 is mpeg1. .m4a is just .mp4 in disguise (mpeg4) or (Yes I know, wikipedia but;)

quote:

It is specified both as Part 7 of the MPEG-2 standard, and Part 3 of the MPEG-4 standard. As such, it can be referred to as MPEG-2 Part 7 and MPEG-4 Part 3 depending on its implementation, however it is most often referred to as MPEG-4 AAC, or AAC for short.

If you re-encode, you should encode down, rather than encode up, because you will not gain anything by re-encoding a 192kbps to 320kbps, but you (I know I can't tell) can't tell a difference if you encode the 192kbps to the next notch down (160kbps).

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Dyna Soar posted:

Yeah I was way off there.

I'm talking about converting only, naturally you can't add data when it doesn't exist. You can convert a 192k m4a to a 192 mp3 and they should sound exactly the same. Why anyone rips anything below 192 (or VBR) is beyond me.

I know, I was just stating it in case there was a question of how to encode it.

Honestly though, I used to encode at 192 but I can't tell any difference using the latest LAME between 128kbps and 320kbps, even with Logitech G51 speakers (I used to have 2.1 CyberAcoustic speakers), so i've resigned to encoding at a max of 160kbps VBR.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Since the Son of a Recommendation thread wasn't any help, I figure it would be best to ask you people.

I really like what I hear when I listen to Taake's Over Bjoergvin Graater Himmerik album. What other artists or bands would you suggest that keep the same feel of this album?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Morbid Florist posted:

What ISN'T wrong with that picture

Honestly I don't want to look too hard to find out :psyduck:
It looks like a heavy metal band trying to be black metal or something tbqh.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Just got some of Mirrorthrone's "Of Wind and Weeping" and it comes in a nice packaging, and Shining's "V" album too. drat I can't get enough of Shining, anyone know a band like them I should give a try?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I thought you were talking about Mirrorthrone's new album :( Has that leaked yet? The release date was supposed to be in March anyway.

Nah, but I own both of them now :v:

It should be soon, so I dunno why its not out yet.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Mr. Heavy posted:

Why can't a single "ambient black metal" act put together some drumming that's even halfway interesting?

I tend to like ambient black metal that sounds like Vinterriket. Dunno if you'd like that but I find his releases to be very enjoyable

Kaiho posted:

Everyone's favourite hosed-up germanic gnome Varg Vikernes is up for parole this month. Does anyone have any details?

Hopefully he wont be a stupid gently caress up like the last time he had parole and get himself in trouble. Hopefully there'll be someone taking candid shots of him walking around or something cause I haven't seen much pics of him lately.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Finally got to listen to Mirrorthrone's new album, Gangrene.

I usually don't judge until a couple of listens but goddamn this is awesome.

WHAT?! Goddamn I'm always out of the loop. I wonder if it's for sale yet...

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Yeah i've heard a few people call the type of black metal that Wolves in the Throne Room play "hipster metal" as weird as that is to me.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Listening to something to be cool is loving gay as hell and I hope goons here at least have some semblance to not do that.

Why listen to something if you don't even like it? Why does someone's else opinion of you matter so much? I honestly don't get it.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Could someone point me in the direction of some quality nsbm bands? I'm thinking stuff like Satanic Warmaster and Nokturnal Mortum?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I wish Merzbow would come hang out in my neck of the woods :smith:

There's absolutely no BM scene around here that I know of.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Is anyone here in love with the LLN type music? I can't get enough of their stuff, its so creepy.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Oh god, I did not see that one coming. Honestly.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Not Very Metal posted:

that's pretty disheartening. especially the day after I got my black mass dvd.

How so? I don't see how him being gay should have any bearing on him as a musician, unless he suddenly starts singing about designing the most "kvlt" fashion for Satan or something.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Next thing you know, there'll be studded nail armbands and bullet belts being snuck on the runway by designers trying to mimmick his clothing line :v:

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
By the way, if no one noticed, Pyha (Ruined) or 폐허 however you want to say it, is basically from a Korean (north or south, it's rather ambiguous because it doesn't seem to be agreed upon) fourteen-year-old. What the hell.

It's not bad either!

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Abigail williams is really fun to listen to, though I heard they have a new vocalist and I'm not so sure I'll be able to get into his? voice.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

aliencowboy posted:

I don't listen to a ton of Black Metal, but could you guys could give me the lowdown on mandatory ambient black metal? Summoning has been on constant repeat for the past few weeks.
http://www.myspace.com/upthehammers

Also, any other more melodic Black Metal along the lines of Sworn would be fuckin' sweet.
http://www.myspace.com/swornband

*cracks knuckles*

None of this may be up your alley, but you may enjoy Blut aus Nord, Sieghetnar, Karna, Kataxu, Profanum, Xasthur, Leviathan, Beatrik, Aäkon Këëtrëh, Caïna, Negură Bunget,Abyssmal Sorrow, Striborg, Alcest, Drudkh, Eldrig, Empire Auriga, Forgotten Tomb, Fear of Eternity, Funeral Mourning, Hypothemia, Isengard, Lurker of Chalice, Mütiilation, Moëvöt, Nortt, Paysage d'Hiver, Raate, Ruined (or Pyha or whatever), Sacrificia Mortuorum, Sad, Taake, Tyrant, Veil, Velvet Cacoon, Vinterriket, Wolves in the Throne Room

Though I admit a few of these perhaps fits into what some call "depressive bm" I don't think it's that much of a stretch to like it.

Drudkh, Velvet Cacoon, Vinterriket, Wolves in the Throne Room (gently caress what goons say, this band is good), Alcest, some Leviathan, Nortt, Isengard, Hypothemia, Moëvöt are all points to check out, though they aren't like Summoning clones if that's what you're wanting in particular.

Admittedly I've never heard Sworn but it sounds pretty good.

Going through my foobar I see these that kinda sound like what you posted:

Melechesh, Impaled Nazarene, Catamenia, Balam-Akab, Dissection, Keep of Kalessin, Khold, Lyfthrasyr, Naglfar, Slechtvalk, Wolven Ancestry.

Tell me if any of that helped :shobon:

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

het posted:

Honestly, lists of 20 bands with no descriptions are of really limited usefulness. If you're going to post huge lists like that, try to put in a few words for each band; mention what they sound like, relate them to another band the person might have heard of, something to separate them from the 19 other bands you listed. In general I don't think anyone has any problems finding a list of 20 black metal bands they don't know anything about, the idea of recommendations is to give people a place to start.

You're right, and I was about 1200 words into a reply going over me trying to describe the bands the best I could, when my computer hardlocked on me t:mad: I guess I shoulda used Office to type it out.

Basically though Sieghetnar sounds like Burzum prison albums with better everything, some of these bands have gone from distorted bm sound to bm sound with ambient works, and they're similar in a bunch of ways but aren't carbon copies of each other. I want to say different things about some of them, but while I was typing I re-went through them and the style is all something they have in common, or at least I think so. I said that since Leviathan's work is mostly bmish that you should try A Silhouette for Splinters. Xasthur is like Sunn O))) and Burzum had a misanthropic kid with most of his sound like he's through a noise/distortion filter, Drudkh is folkish, and is probably something you'd enjoy since you like Summoning. Isengard is another you'd like that makes me think of an ambient summoning.

I'm pretty sure most of these have myspaces, or at the least fan myspaces (because the artist doesn't give a poo poo about myspace or doesn't like myspace for the most part.) Reading their last.fm's now, and those people had better descriptions for them than I had written up.

Hung Yuri fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 26, 2008

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Sometimes people use it in reference to "watered down" or "more radio friendly" sounding music.

I guess if it's not "kvlt" enough...

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Ah yes, straw mans over Varg Vikernes. Just what I've always wanted to hear.

He's a horrible person but lots of bands have him as an influence, and his music (sans the prison albums which are terrible) aren't all that bad. Here's hoping he'll make Filosofem 2 and not daudi baldurs or something.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I listen to a bunch of different things, but I'm not nearly as musically cultured as I'd like to be, especially seeing some posters in NMD and PHIZ I'm not as eclectic as I thought I was. Additionally, I don't really pay attention to band member names and most of the time I'm unable to go in to depth about bands other than "well this band kinda sounds like this band cause thats what it sounds like to me" instead of some technical description.

But I digress, Black Metal is one of my favorite genres but I cannot just listen to black metal. I'll listen to things like electronic music from ambient and electro and hardstyle and whatever genre video game remixes are, I'll enjoy some j-pop/k-pop/c-pop as a dirty pleasure (BoA is so good and I'm a fag for admitting it but I don't care), I'll enjoy some metalcore/some hardcore, some new age punk, classical like satie or bach (Admittedly thats one of the genres I know little of). Death metal is alright to me, but I can't really get into most brutal bands or death metal bands without some sort of groove or interesting melody/solo. I'll also enjoy drone bands for the same reason that I like ambientish music. I like noise in small amounts, but harsh noise is only good to me as background noise than active listening. The noise I prefer tends to be something with a "flow" to it. Something where the noise changes and ebbs and evolves from one place to another, rather than something that is just as abstract as the artist can make.

Sometimes when I'm feeling bad, I'll listen to music that follows my emotions. That's when I'll listen to dreary sort of music. For whatever reason, the ambient tracks on Filosofem are really good in that regard, because if you're just relaxing and listening to that, you can focus on the bleakness of the simple beats. (That sounds gay but whatever.) Anyways that's my 2 cents.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Also look into anything LLN influenced, maybe some Moevot or whatever.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I always thought Hypocrisy was death metal :\

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Qu Appelle posted:

I need to check out Windir, I need new music :geno:

Likferd is the best album. It's like the Filosofem of black metal :smug:

Razor posted:

it's too bad they had to go all NSBM on their full-lengths.

But...that just makes the music better!

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
That sounds too similar to the whole "Slam door to get her to be subliminally afraid you'll leave and never come back" thing.

I think the kitty thing would work with my gf, but she's already heard my music and would prefer to listen to John Mayer and "bro" music.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
"How do you even know what they're saying" is the standard response I've got from my female friends.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I wanted to say something about the Filosofem but others already covered it :bandwagon:

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Kaiho posted:

Vikernes? He's been free for a couple of months now. It was in the papers. Here's the Blabbermouth news item: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=120605

quote:

Jackson Rathbone, the teen heartthrob from "Twilight", has reportedly agreed to play Vikernes in the upcoming movie "Lords Of Chaos".

-____- gently caress that movie and any of the shits that enjoy it.

Though on topic, varg looks pretty god drat old now after spending what, 10~ years in prison?

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

ElectricWizard posted:

Has anyone else heard the new 1349 album? It's really... Not what I expected at all. They even cover Pink Floyd's "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun".

And once again the internet legion of basement-warriors show their appreciation of change and innovation, the album currently has an average score of 2.06 with 49 ratings at rateyourmusic.

Since rateyourmusic is almost always universally wrong, I think I'm gonna check this out now.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I wish Fenriz would loving just release Space Lab because I love his two albums for Neptune Towers. :mad:

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
He's not saying that people who listen to 1349 are "kvlter-than-thov" but that the same fags who are like "its not raw enough, its not tr00 kvlt, its not the misanthropic stuff i love" are making GBS threads themselves, and I suppose he likes the album for what it's accomplished rather than for the album itself.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Cold Void is pretty interesting. Other than it having suicidal track titles it sounds pretty cool. It's like they recorded it on a track tape, then digitized it and ran it through a reverb filter or something. Pretty slow at times but other times it speeds up and has a cool beat.

Edit: talkin about the song "Hope For Ending Pain... Suicide"
Now that I read his myspace, looks like he killed himself, haha

Hung Yuri fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 10, 2009

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
What's a band that sounds most like Lord Belial? I loving love the drums on the cd The Sea of Belial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

NicktheBishop posted:

Check out Over Björgvin Gråter Himmerik by Taake. It always reminds me of Nemesis Divina. I asked a while ago if anyone knew anything else that sounded like this but got no feedback.

Seems your posting messed up the formatting or something so here is the name he meant if you can't google taake, Over Bjørgvin Graater Himmerik.