Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
So is the Nuclear War Now! record label everything this guy makes it out to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

rxcowboy posted:

Glad I found this thread, normally I just hang out in the pure metal thread.

1: I love thrash and death metal, but I've never been able to get into pure black metal. I've tried listening to some older black metal , but the absolutely atrocious production level just loving kill it for me. What would be some good babby's first black metal albums to ease me into the genre? Then when I'm used to it I'll try and tackle the ones that sound like they were recording in a cardboard hobo shack 50 miles away from civilization. And the microphone is 10 miles away from the shack.

Mörk Gryning's ‎Tusen År Har Gått was the first black metal album I was able to get into, and my fondness for it has held up over the years. I really need to get around to hearing their later albums one of these days.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Checked a few pages back and didn't see anything about it, but Enemies List are doing something of a fund-raiser.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Gamma Nerd posted:

It makes a bit less sense to me than calling "atmospheric black metal" a subgenre.
What would it be, if not a sub-genre?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Give Mörk Gryning a go. They’re the band that pulled me into the genre. For more recent stuff, I’ve been enjoying Ninkharsag’s latest album. And Emanation’s album The Emanation of Begotten Chaos from God was a pleasant discovery that it took me too long to stumble across. Abstracter’s Abominion is great, if you don’t mind some genre mixing. Ditto for Cult of Occult’s Anti Life.