Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Filosofem is great, all you have to do is stop the CD 10 minutes into Rundgang (or chop it down into a 10 minute track) and you got yourself a cool album.

No need to tinker with Hvist Lyset Tar Oss however....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Were are you getting that he has been released? I know on the official site it says he will be free 'soon' but not yet.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Vikernes? He's been free for a couple of months now. It was in the papers. Here's the Blabbermouth news item: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=120605

Oh, thanks :)

Its good to hear that Varg will continue to make music. What kind of stuff it will be is any ones guess though. Maybe he will come up with something as groundbreaking as Burzum! (Let me dream.)

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Good too see Sodom on atleast one list. The stuff they put out in 1984 is miles ahead of its time.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Munky from KORN posted:

Flames of Hell - Fire and Steel is my favorite Icelandic Venom-inspired first wave black metal album.

Wow thanks for setting me onto this. Its great stuff! Vocals are great, especially given they are from 87.

http://www.myspace.com/flamesofhelll

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

What the gently caress happened to Varg's vocals!? They were the best part of Burzum! No black metal disc in the 20 or so years since the Burzum S/T has come close to those awesome shrieks - and now suddenly Varg has gone all generic on us :(

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Is it just me or are quite a few of the riffs very familiar?

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Can't say Ive ever been a fan of calling the Norwegian scene 'second wave BM'. I would say the music from that scene is the first 'real' black metal. Anything from earlier is just proto-black. If I was made to decide the first black metal release I would probably say it was A Blaze In The Northern Sky.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

I really dont like the idea that Mercyful Fate, early Slayer, and Venom are all in the same genre.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Interesting that he cites Bathory, Hellhamer, Slayer and Sodom as early examples of pre- Death death metal...I thought they were clearly first wave black metal! :chord:

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Good news. Peaceville bought the rights from Moonfog and are re-releasing Darkthrones greatest album, Panzerfaust.

Its a 2 disc edition - the original album, and the album with Fenriz commentary over the top. Here is a track.

http://soundcloud.com/peaceville/darkthrone-en-vind-av-sorg-taken-from-panzerfaust-2-disc-reissue

Pretty happy I bothered to read the Peaceville email now.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Yes it is. Also Diaboical Fullmoon Mysticism is not an album you should just skip over, although it generally doesn't receive the praise of the later Immortal stuff.

Also I think new Burzum would be so much better if Varg could shriek like he used to. Even 20 years later I don't think there has been better black metal vocals then the first few Burzum albums.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Oh cool a new Summoning album. Its about loving time too! Will still only be the 3rd full length in 12-13 years...

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

I know everyone refers to Darkthrones big 3 albums - but it's always bugged me that Panzerfaust isnt included to make it a big 4. Its better then Under A Funeral Moon even! Maybe because it was released on Moonfog instead of Peaceville.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

cryme posted:

I appreciate shorter releases as much as the next guy but Reign in Blood is boring as poo poo aside from the bookending tracks

Hey now, Postmortem is the best track on the disc!

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

I do love the 'Cmon! Leipzig! Cmon....Join us! Pure loving Armageddon!!!'

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

I like how she was desperate to tell the Dragonforce guys the lyrics from their gently caress-about band no one heard of are A BIG DEAL. He just wouldn't really take the bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007

Von Sloneker posted:

Or, you know, Darkthrone.

Speaking of which I've finally gotten around to listening to the audio commentary Fenriz (and occasionally NC) did for the bonus discs of the Darkthrone reissues, and it's pretty great. They're all on YT -- though for some reason Transilvanian Hunger is only there on a song by song basis while the others are listed as "full album." Fenriz will literally tell you where every single riff, every drum sound, every nuance of the music, came from. I guess avoid it if you don't want the music to be totally demystified. Fortunately with a band like this, the music is strong enough not to lose its magic no matter how much it's dissected and revealed.

The main reason to listen to the commentary, however, is for stuff like this: (I'm paraphrasing), "You know, some of these vocals [on Goatlord] really work but some of them, when I hear them I kind of cringe and go 'fsssss fsssss fsssss' like when Peter Griffin hurts his leg."

As long as I'm here, Earth and Pillars sounds like Darkspace if they leaned more toward the Cascadian thing. Usually I hate the latter but this is pulled off pretty well.
http://avantgardemusic.bandcamp.com/album/earth-i

I just listened to the Blaze In The Northern Sky commentary and yeh it was great. I especially like when Fenriz throws in a few Tom Warrior 'ooohh!'s in appropriate places.