Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

Dehtraen posted:

They basically live in a small commune about 5 minutes from the mall in Olympia, WA and about 7 to 10 minutes from downtown. Not out in the middle of nowhere by any means but they are living on a group commune type farm.

Reading this thread has introduced me to Wolves in the Throne Room. They're alright. But I've lived in Olympia almost my entire life, and I never even heard of them... And this commune a number of the members of the band live at, I think I've driven past it.. But then again, I'm not sure. ha

If anyone knows of some good local (washington/oregon/british columbia) BM bands, let me know. I'm always excited to listen to local metal :black101:

More Gore fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 27, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

Resistance posted:

Alright, needless to say, I am a black metal noob. I am new to the genre, and thus am looking for some recommendations. What are some "MUST LISTEN TO" Black metal albums/bands? Recommend away! :)
Thanks.

newbies always welcome :)

A recommendation I have is Dark Funeral's "The Secret of the Black Arts" album. Awesome from beginning to end. And of course Immortal's "Sons of Northern Darkness". Both are kickass.

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

Dehtraen posted:

Check out some of these bands...

Thanks for the list! :buddy:
But I can't find Fauna anywhere, well at least not on myspace. A link would be greatly appreciated :)

(edit)
And Oh! Book of Black Earth rules. The drummer, his name's Joe or John or something, is amazing. He also drums for another band Skarp. They're super heavy. Not really black metal, but still worth listening to, for sure. (They're more grindcore).

More Gore fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 27, 2007

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

COCKISPOISON posted:

His name is Joe, he's a raging rear end in a top hat, although the other folks in the band are a joy to host. We all partied when they were here in Oakland and were wonderful folks.

Skarp pretty much makes me want to die and I ended up roadying for another band that was on tour with them. I made sure that I was outside in the van whenever they were playing.

Hm, that sucks to hear. Regardless, I still like both bands. And most bands usually have "that guy".

But whats wrong with Skarp? I've seen em 5 times in Seattle and they tore it up every time!

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

Dehtraen posted:

They're very anti-internet as I understand it. They have recordings of two different rituals with excellent packaging out there. It is all hand done with intricate designs and such. They usually do a show downtown at the Manium or someplace around for the Solstice, I believe. I will ask around though.

Well that would make sense (the anti-internet part). I am really interested now though! haha

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

quantumdots posted:

Ceremonial Castings are from Battle Ground, WA, and if you like Emperor-ish BM with lots of keys, they are pretty good. And of course Agalloch is from Portland and they pretty much rule as well.

Oh man. Ceremonial Castings rule. I'm listening to them right now. Thanks for that :downs:

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

HamsterHuey posted:

I am posting here kind of as a last resort since other threads were extremely unhelpful. I really have no knowledge whatsoever of black metal but I'm really into the band Alcest. I really like the new album though which I guess is pretty much entirely not black metal and is pretty far removed from their older stuff. Is there anything else that sounds like that? I love stuff like Jesu or this where it can be really heavy but still melodic and I guess more shoegaze influenced. If nothing else it could just be the vocals, because even when Alcest were shredding like the dickens the vocals were still very wispy and not like, I dunno, Burzum or whatever.

I have a band you might enjoy. Chthonic is their name. Taiwanese BM. I saw them at Ozzfest this year and they were REALLY good. When they came out on stage, they were all around 5'5", and I'm sure everyone in the crowd was like, "Who the hell are these little guys?! (+ one girl on bass)" But then the first song they played, the lead singer just let out this horrifyingly long screech and everyone was into them for the rest of their set. Like I said, it was REALLY good. haha

As for that "shoegaze" aspect that you want, the girl in the band does backing vocals that are very melodic. And another member of the band plays an Erhu which adds a lot to the overall melodic feel. And there is a ton of synth and whatnot as well.

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

het posted:

What I'm really hoping for is that there'll be some bands that will cop Amesoeurs' "urban black metal" sound (as Neige put it) from the first two tracks of Ruines Humaines since their future stuff is going to be more along the lines of Faiblesse des Sens (not that I don't love that track and eagerly anticipate the next Amesoeurs release).

WOW. I'm listening to Amesoeurs right now. It's amazing. Thank you for this!

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

Tsaedje posted:

If you're not listening to Fjoergyn already you should be. They're on the folky and melodic side of the spectrum but if you don't mind that you'll be fine.

Alright, so I clicked your link, and I start listening to the song "Die Hierachie Der Engel". The piano kind of threw me off. As nice as it was, I wasn't expecting the song to get as heavy as it did. The semi-breakdown at around 3:00 reminded me a lot of DragonForce, just without the masturbatory guitars. I really liked it. Thanks bro :)

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood
Oooooh.. "Black" Metal. I get it.

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

Radio Paranoia posted:

The new WITTR has leaked and when though I've got it on preorder I couldn't help myself.

Same here. Did you hear this is supposedly their last album? Final one in the trilogy..

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

Not Very Metal posted:

Also, I've had Sacrilegious Impalement's II - Exalted Spectres basically on repeat all week. Such a killer album.

3rd track, Enter Godhood is loving amazing; i've had that main riff stuck in my head the entire week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

RHTITE posted:

Ain't no way a motherfucker with a name like Hunter Hunt-Hendrix and a look like Kurt Cobain is gonna write some loving good Black Metal. Some things are just easy to spot at first glance. This Averse Sefira member sums them up nicely: http://aversesefira.blogspot.com/2011/08/pretenders.html

They're especially boring live. They played in Olympia a few months back at the Northern with a couple other bands. Couldn't stand to watch their entire set.

fozzie dunlop posted:

I liked Renihilation a lot, but Aesthetica didn't grab me at all.

Aesthetica is a garbled mess.