Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

meba rhodium posted:

I'm an absolute sucker for symphonic black metal, and I haven't found a new fix in ages. So I need your help.

What I'm listening to now that relates to that genre:

Anorexia Nervosa
Dimmu Borgir (an old highscool sweetheart I'm still in love with)
Arcturus
Equilibrium (really digging Sagas)
Nokturnal Mortum

Any recommendations appreciated.

You might like Nexus Polaris by Covenant (now spelled Kovenant)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Cold Day posted:

...I'd skip the boring Symphonic stuff like Emperor...

Don't skip Emperor.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Dark Medieval Times.

That is all.

Everyone will tell you this (and it is the best one) but don't let yourself miss Nemesis Divina either. Shadowthrone's alright but not very impressive, you can probably skip it. The rest isn't black metal (but after so much time has gone by I can finally appreciate Rebel Extravaganza).

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

so i just saw satyricon.

mother north, forhekset, nothing off dark medieval times, nothing off shadowthrone.

*sob*

That loving sucks but thanks for posting this. I was wondering what I missed and this eases my pain.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Borknagar's first album was a goddamn force of nature.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I have a question regarding Mayhem. I love Mysteriis dom Sathanas or whatever and was disappointed with the sound quality of their new album (although getting past that it's really a terrific, unique mass of evil) but I don't have any of their other albums. I've heard a few random tracks and they sound pretty good, and I know they don't have that wacky vocalist (Agrippa or whoever) on them, but are they worth buying? Which ones in particular? Opinions?

Also, Not Very Metal, you should check out Carpathian Forest's Live Perversions DVD. It's special.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I was listening to Taake's Over Bjorgjenfjordswhatever album and remembered how much I like it. It's got kind of a Nemesis Divina vibe going on, which is a good thing. Anything else you guys know of that sounds like this?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

It's all about Ill-Natured Spiritual Invasion.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Poor Grim.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

scrabbleship posted:

Anybody got any recommendations for some black metal like Satyricon's Nemesis Divina? Usually I prefer more straight up black metal stuff like early Mayhem and Immortal but unlike most symphonic black metal, the stuff in Nemesis Divina actually seems more or less apart of the song and not a gimmick.

Check out Over Björgvin Gråter Himmerik by Taake. It always reminds me of Nemesis Divina. I asked a while ago if anyone knew anything else that sounded like this but got no feedback.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Their 2005 album Doedskvad is good too. Nattestid Ser Porten Vid from 1999 is really good but the production is lovely. That's all I've heard. Just relistening to it while I post makes me wonder why I haven't listened to these albums more- they're loving awesome.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Openknees posted:

I'm gonna also suggest Dimmu's Stormblast. The original one. Dammit.

Do this, it's great.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

m3dory posted:

Really good atmospheric black metal from a friend of mine and a fellow goon who would like to remain anonymous: Petrychor - http://www.myspace.com/petrychor

You can download higher quality formats here: http://petrychor.bandcamp.com/

It has the intensity and fullness of sound similar to things like Walknut, Enmerkar, and Drudkh, but retains a strong sense of clarity as well.

Very good!

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Kaiho posted:

Just heard some of the new Burzum on radio. Holy poo poo how boring. I don't know if it's because I wasn't zoning into it like I sometimes do but man that was snoozeworthy.

edit: I mean it sounded like Burzum from the instant it started playing, but goddang.

I was very underwhelmed at first, but it grew on me a lot. There's also heavy use of bass hits that I didn't hear until I listened to it in my car. Weird, man.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Thanks to whoever recommended Koldbrann a long time ago, I'm just listening to the album Moribund and really liking it. It's got a great vibe, just a bunch of people playing some loving metal.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

My intro was the first two tracks of Emperor's Anthems. Atmospheric, an owl hooting, then a bunch of cheesy synth that sounded like a gay power metal band, followed by a wall of insane noise that took a long time to understand.
"So this is called black metal?"
"Yup."
"...woah."

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Horrorca posted:

psychedelic quality to them

I really like Muukalainen Puhuu by Oranssi Pazuzu.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Over Bjoergvin Graater Himmerik and Nattestid Ser Porten Vid are both great albums by Taake. While finding the album titles to cut and paste I just saw that there's a 2008 self-titled album as well. I don't know how I missed that but it's in the mail because I'm sure it is great as well.
Can't miss with Taake.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

m-o-o-n posted:

It tastes of artistic bankruptcy.

daaaaaaaammnnn

And is he with Bradley Cooper?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Hellwuzzat posted:

So, uhhh, what do you folks think of that there Demonaz solo affair "March of the Norse"?

I listened to it once, wasn't terrible but I doubt I'll listen to it again.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Defiant Sally posted:

Greetings bros. I've never been big into black metal, mostly death metal (of all forms) but recently I've been exploring the realms of black metal more and more. Rather than slog through the thousands of bands out there I figure I'll just ask here.

I've always been a huge fan of Immortal. I love everything the band has ever done, and the way they play and write their music really clicks with me (listening to Damned in Black as I write this). Recently I've gotten into Bathory and Taake, and I like the sound of both those bands as well.

What are some good bands out there that sound similar to Immortal or Taake, with that classic black metal sound but still have a production value that makes it sound like it was recorded on something more than a Fisher Price cassette recorder?

I realize Immortal is like one of THE black metal bands, but that should probably give you some idea of how little exposure to black metal I get.

Anti Christian/Religious is very welcome but Im trying to stay away from NSBM.

If you like Taake, check out Satyricon's Nemesis Divina and work backwards from there.

Here's a couple folky essentials -- Ulver's et etevinty i 5 capitler is amazing. The recording is a little muted, but not lo-fi or anything. In a similar vein is Stormblast by Dimmu Borgir (do NOT get the horrible modern version they remade/ruined).

If you want to head a little deeper, get In the Nightside Eclipse by Emperor, and de mysteriis dom sathanas by Mayhem. The recording is a little fuzzier but not ridiculous, and they are both quintessential (Norwegian) black metal albums.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Morbid Florist posted:

I've only got Unchain the Wolves, but this is loving filthy. I love it. Now I've got something to do at work thanks brah

You probably already did but make sure to check out Phoenix Rising too.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Those drums sound like they're from an old casio I used to have.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I love that it's Darkspace IIII and not Darkspace IV

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Kampfar's new stuff is pretty good but Fra Underverdenen is their best album imo.

Enslaved has changed a lot over their career, so if you specify what album(s) you like you'll probably get some more suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

You know this is the BLACK METAL thread right?

Speaking of goofy, anybody seen Immortal live? If so how were they?

Amazing, one of the best shows I've ever been to. This was over 10 years ago and in a small venue and they were blowing fire anyway. I was going to see some local bands play and didn't even know who Immortal was (lol).