Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Read all the way through this thread in a couple of weeks, holy crap. I've tried to get into black metal a few times and it hasn't ever really stuck until just lately when (largely due to suggestions here) I've been listening to a lot of Windir, Primordial (if they count, I'm not sure) Ulver, Immortal, and Moonsorrow. I'm not sure what those particular ones say about my taste, but it's a refreshing change from my usual blend of folk and death.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Somewhere in the depths of this thread did I see mention of a black metal band that played all basses? Google isn't being helpful discovering if such a thing actually exists.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Defiant Sally posted:

Greetings bros. I've never been big into black metal, mostly death metal (of all forms) but recently I've been exploring the realms of black metal more and more. Rather than slog through the thousands of bands out there I figure I'll just ask here.

I've always been a huge fan of Immortal. I love everything the band has ever done, and the way they play and write their music really clicks with me (listening to Damned in Black as I write this). Recently I've gotten into Bathory and Taake, and I like the sound of both those bands as well.

What are some good bands out there that sound similar to Immortal or Taake, with that classic black metal sound but still have a production value that makes it sound like it was recorded on something more than a Fisher Price cassette recorder?

I realize Immortal is like one of THE black metal bands, but that should probably give you some idea of how little exposure to black metal I get.

Anti Christian/Religious is very welcome but Im trying to stay away from NSBM.

Recommendations so far are A+, especially Rotting Christ.

You dig the folk if memory serves so give Moonsorrow a spin even though it's got a good bit of that rough around the edges recording quality. Also try Stormlord, particularly At the Gates of Utopia. I'm personally a big fan of Chthonic, particularly Relentless Recurrence too.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

(Cross-post from the metal thread)

Via a recommendation from Kim Kelly, I've recently fallen for Anicon. Just the one EP at the moment, from what I can tell, and they're so new they don't even have a metal-archives entry.

The EP will be released later today.

http://anicon.bandcamp.com/

For black metal fans - kind of WITTR-ish, a bit more up-tempo, great atmosphere.

Can't pass that up.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I realize I'm way behind the times or whatever but it's finally sinking in for me how good Wodensthrone and Necromantia are.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

m-o-o-n posted:

Seconding the Midnight recommendation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlMPJe5biVU

Just trawling back through the thread, as I'm wont to do, and holy poo poo how did I pass Midnight over the first time they came up?!

I'm completely in love with this :swoon:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I hate doing this, but I've somehow managed to completely lose/forget the details of an album I'd been meaning to give another listen through. All I can remember is that I heard about it in this subforum in the context of atmospheric, possibly space-y BM, and the intro was an eerie set of bell tones.

Searching the forum + combing over what I'd marked in Spotify isn't helping so far, i'm drawing a complete blank. :ohdear:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Von Sloneker posted:

Bells chat was on p 238 of the general metal thread, if that's where it initially came from.

Yes there was bells chat. Briefly.

edit: the examples of songs with bells I posted were Neurosis and Secrets of the Moon, neither of which I'm guessing is what you're trying to recall.

To be a little more pedanticdetailed it was more like orchestral bells rather than bongy bells. (Secrets of the Moon I have to investigate, though, thanks!)

I had it marked on spotify at some point, and I assume they lost rights to the album and it disappeared.

bing bing bing bingbing bing :suicide:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Liturgy in town on a weeknight? Here goes nothing :v:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mortuary Drape and Mgla coming around in the fall. Cool. (:black101: :stwoon:)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Optimum Gulps posted:

Relax, I doubt they'll come anywhere near NC anyway :[

Yeah, I'm going to that first event linked in Columbus :shobon:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

KozmoNaut posted:

Actually, it would be interesting to hear whether you think their style etc. changed at the same point as where the BM scenesters think they sold out.

That's a pretty insightful comment imo.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

deadking posted:

Please, this kvltural appropriation needs to stop.

New thread title found?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

So Blood Music is apparently working on an Emperor vinyl box set that's gargantuan. It'll almost certainly be out of my price range but it's interesting reading the guy's write ups about how this or that album has changed through different releases over the years.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Magia Gwiezdnej Entropii is rad! Also giving me Rotting Christ vibes in some places, am I going crazy?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I honestly haven't listened to their last two albums much but I'll never not be excited to see Nile, especially in a cozy venue.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

joylessdivision posted:

Has anyone seen Behemoth on this current tour? I'm going to the show in SF Friday night, haven't seen them live in about 8 years and I'm really looking forward to hearing The Satanist played live.

Saw them last week, completely owned. I enjoyed seeing Myrkur live too.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I say it over and over in this and the metal thread but Fenriz's commentary and interviews are the best.

Edit:

For content, the revised/remastered Panopticon set "Revisions of the Past" are on bandcamp now :getin:
https://bindrunerecordings.bandcamp.com/album/revisions-of-the-past-disk-one-on-the-subject-of-mortality
https://bindrunerecordings.bandcamp.com/album/revisions-of-the-past-disk-two-social-disservices

the yeti fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 8, 2016

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Hot Diggity! posted:

I think it's good that black metal is being appreciated and hopefully the bands can make more money

How can I convince myself that I have discerning, rarefied taste if lots of people know about the thing I like, much less like it themselves

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

That rear end in a top hat is clearly only into one drug

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I was a bit intrigued by this:

The language of Mordor isn't kvlt enough? He refuses to write lyrics in Esperanto like all those mainstream bands?

Am I really poorly read as far as BM goes or is that as definitely a "no lord of the rings poo poo" clause as I think?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

New Throaat is up: http://throaat.bandcamp.com/album/reflections-in-darkness

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Oldstench posted:

Check out Runespell. Good stuff.

Extremely digging this.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Migrationfest tickets go on sale today at 7pm Eastern :getin:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Lifeglug posted:

I’ve been a busy bee and have been working on putting out my first metal release in a loving age or two, and doing it all myself while my son and partner are asleep.

https://okaat.bandcamp.com

Please enjoy this or maybe not enjoy it.

This loving rules

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Antifascist queer black metal sounds like a good time to me.

Agreed

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

In principle I agree with Oldstench's comment; the s/n ratio in the other thread isn't great for me compared to this one.

Otoh as much as I like this thread's content it's not very lively :shobon:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

apophenium posted:

They make the interviewer and the magazine seem really loving clueless and lovely.

The way that metoo question rambles around from America to English women and ends with a hasty backpedal is really hard to interpret as anything but the interviewer throwing out a pet talking point. Ditto the NS one.

Thankfully Ayloss loving buries the interviewer on both.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Did anybody get a screenshot of the Nargaroth guy whining about Lords of Chaos before he deleted it?

https://twitter.com/MetalShayne2000/status/1101585065795031042

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

my bony fealty posted:

good nature or lord of the rings bm

Summoning

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Frank Caskelot posted:

Crossposting from the Metal Megathread:

And though it's not obvious based on the lyrics (and who here can understand our moonspeak anyway), we fall into the anti-fash bm category as well.

Digging this quite a lot

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Happy Hedonist posted:

I like to think its possible to worship Our Lord Satan without being a discriminating Nazi poo poo head.

To commit the awful crime of snyping with a serious post, I don’t think it’s that surprising that people who really buy into to an abstract ideology of evil and hate end up espousing actual specific irl hateful ideas, whether they get there through their existing prejudices, chasing society’s examples of extreme hatred, reactionary finding reactionary, or something else :shrug:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

As much as I love that gently caress NSBM patch yeah Pope Richard really hosed up a bunch of ways and apparently can only respond to earnest ‘please do better’ criticism by blocking people, self loathing tweets, and crass merch.

We’ve rehashed the enjoying an rear end in a top hat’s art thing forever now but as its 109% true we have bigger things to stress over I try to remember these things: never pay; there’s no excuse for listening to hateful content ‘for the riffs’; if you know what’s up with a band or artist, make sure other people do, especially if you yourself mention it.

Ed- For some odd crossover, my best friend is into Wagner so we talk about this a lot.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 29, 2019

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

deadking posted:

Their other project Nechochwen

:aaaaa: how did I not know that (Nechochwen rule)

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

We talk about Summoning in here so it’s not that far out

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Glorious

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

ElectricWizard posted:

hosed by racism and anti-satanic bigotry:The black metal thread

Mods?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

This is prob in the other thread but I can't be assed to catch up

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Lifeglug posted:

Picked up this today as saw it linked from somewhere, and i'm really digging it, fun, bleak, queer black metal.

https://worhs.bandcamp.com/album/ballerine-sourde

This is just what I needed

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Henchman of Santa posted:

This Panopticon/Nechochwen split is really good. Some of Lunn’s best work in several years. I should dive further into Nechochwen as well.

Heart of Akamon is amazing imo

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

deadking posted:

RIP black metal (and de facto dungeon synth) thread but a three way split I (Mortwight) did with Encloaked and Castle Zagyx is out today: https://mortwight.bandcamp.com/album/beacons-burning-on-the-winter-horizon

Digging th hell out of this so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

The label, Argonia, was defending themselves on social media the other day pretty much literally saying ‘who cares having CP doesn’t hurt kids’ , so gently caress them too