Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

im lollin at you're trollin
I went through all 25 pages yesterday: Thanks for the hundreds of recommendations! To contribute, two groups I really love haven't surfaced yet in this thread. People with traditional black-metal tastes might enjoy them.

Krieg Very fast with muddy production, no keyboards or acoustic instruments, anguished scratchy vocals, some guitar melody.
http://www.myspace.com/officialkrieg

Heresi Angry vocals with ultra-Satanic lyrics (in Swedish). One-man-band (Skamfer, from Ondskapt). Fast, minimalist and bleak.
http://www.myspace.com/trueheresi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

17 Characters posted:

Band is "Zelfhaat" and the song I heard is "Beklagenswaardig Bestaan"

It starts out with a clip of the Jim Jones recording and goes from there. I'd heard the Jim Jones stuff before, introduced via an SA thread some years ago so when I heard it, it was spooky. How would you classify this music?

I liked what I heard of Zelfhaat, thanks for bringing this group into the discussion. I would definitely classify them as depressive black metal.

Listed influences on their MySpace page: "Depression, Nihilism, Suicide, Solitude, Abortion, Mental Defects, Euthanasia, Death, Disease, War, Famine, Apocaliptyc Visions, Negativity, Satan."

garbage day fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 8, 2009

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

Went to Moonspell/Secrets of the Moon last night.

Secrets of the Moon played 4 songs in about 40 minutes, closing with "Lucifer Speaks." One unique aspect of the stage show was that the drummer was the main headbanger/hair-twirler. He also seemed to be the most expressive, though this could have been because the other members spent a lot of time facing the back of the stage.

Moonspell employed background visuals, and while they were mostly just animations of fire and dripping blood, they added to the atmosphere. Fernando Ribeiro's banter was amusing as always ("This is a challenge to see if you can headbang as furiously as Moonspell," "Part of every person is bestiality"), and I also enjoyed his skull necklace and pentagram-emblazoned glove. The set started pretty slow (or rather, it was fast songs, but nothing that I liked), but then the group "traveled back in time" and played a lot of great stuff from "Wolfheart" and "Irreligious," most notably "Alma Mater" (set closer) and "Full Moon Madness" (encore closer).

For anyone wondering if it's worth the $20 ticket price, I'd say definitely. I would have said it's more than worth it, but I assessed a deduction for having to endure Divine Heresy. If only Moonsorrow had been on hand to finish the lunar bill.

EDIT VVVV Yes on "Scorpion Flower," but no chick, not even an animated one on the white screen, just recorded vocals.

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

Guzwar posted:

He does a spectacular job of matching the vocals, both clean and harsh. If anything, his harsh vocals sound even throatier live.

And yes, regarding SotM drummer, he is very animated when playing. At the Toronto show he was probably more into his playing than most of the fans were for the entire concert.

I'm thinking of seeing Marduk when they come to town. How are they live? Worth the forty bucks?

Agreed completely with this assessment. The harsh vocals can be extremely throaty and loud, to the point of some microphone crackling during the first few songs, but after that everything was matched pretty much perfectly.

Regarding Marduk, they're really intense live and I recommend seeing them, but I'm wondering who else is on that bill for $40? The show is $13 here, with Nachtmystium opening.