Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar
Could you guys recommend me something that sounds like early Marduk?

You know, like the stuff in the Those of the Unlight and Opus Nocturne era, when they had Af Grafv on vocals and Dan Swanö producing them. They have quickly grown to be some of my favorite BM albums and I still can't quite find something that sounds like them.

Oh, and about Mayhem, I saw them earlier this year, with Taake. Went only because they were playing literally 5 blocks away from my apartment. Bored me to tears, but they did get a laugh out of me when Attila sang into the cross he was holding instead of the mic. :downs: Also, his voice couldn't keep his BM shrieks for the whole gig and after a while he started singing in a weird cleaner shouting voice instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

Gr31lly posted:

Honestly, the one thing that's always struck me about that stuff (especially those of the Unlight) is that you can actually, you know, hear the loving bass. They've still got massive death metal influences there too, but Swano's raw, trebly production masks them in a way. Other than that, it's just what's now seen as traditional black metal.

I'd recommend fellow swedes the massively underrated Svartsyn, Dawn's first album shares the death/black atmosphere, but is slightly more melodic. Speaking of melodic, early Mork Gryning. In all honesty Arckanum from the early 90s will probably do the job, as will most swedish releases during the early 90s.

I'd also say check out Nastrond, if for no other reason that they rule, but they sound like no others. I'm also going to hold back vomit and suggest that Dark Funeral's very first release (the self titled EP) may be worth tracking down, produced by Swano it's pretty similar in sound.

Try Lja from norway too, early Ulver Nattens-madrigal like riffs with a raw production and treble out the rear end.

And gently caress it, listen to Inquisition, because everyone should. Same goes for Nox Intempesta.

I know it's a little late, but I wanted to thank you for the recommendations. You nailed it. So far, I'm really enjoying Mork Gryning and Svartsyn.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

So, I'll be seeing Marduk this weekend now... any idea of how their live gigs usually are?

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

Oldstench posted:

Do you like blastbeats? Hope you like blastbeats. If you do, Marduk have you covered.

Oh, come on, they got a little less blast-happy in the less few albums. I just wish they'd play some of their older and slower songs.