Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Morbid Florist posted:

Beethoven and Wagner ARE already blacker than most. My issue is that I haven't heard any songs that STAY grim and black. They all end up going through happier parts before coming back. I could very well be wrong, I don't have much of either to listen to. I'd like to be wrong on that front.

That Paganini song is pretty intense. It starts off like a loving Dragonforce lead :)

Mozart's Requiem. Although that might be more doom metal than black metal....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Glad I found this thread, normally I just hang out in the pure metal thread.

1: I love thrash and death metal, but I've never been able to get into pure black metal. I've tried listening to some older black metal , but the absolutely atrocious production level just loving kill it for me. What would be some good babby's first black metal albums to ease me into the genre? Then when I'm used to it I'll try and tackle the ones that sound like they were recording in a cardboard hobo shack 50 miles away from civilization. And the microphone is 10 miles away from the shack.

2:I have a boner for Skeletonwitch that is embarrassingly large, and possibly interfering with my day to day life. What are the best blackened thrash bands out there right now? Besides Skeletonwitch.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

nomapple posted:

Aura Noir and Enslaved

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions, I'm working my way through the list now.

Aura Noir: HOLY poo poo. Thank you so much, they loving rock.

Enslaved: Great as well, excellent production, great sound, love what I've heard so far.

Tomorrow I'm going to work my way through some Destroyer 666 tracks.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Yesterday it was cold, rainy and overall a lovely dreary day. I decided to listen to Darkthrone.

Goddamn Under a Funeral Moon was fantastic, going to listen to Transilvanian Hunger later in the week.

I also listened to The Underground Resistance, and loved it too. It's hysterical to me that Darkthrone released three albums that are apparently cornerstones of the black metal genre, then spent the next 15 years trying not to sound anything like them. Resistance is a drat good album, and Leave No Cross Unturned is a sprawling epic of a song that sounds like a black metal Iron Maiden.

It's great that there is a band like Darkthrone that clearly has a sense of humor about what they are doing, because I get the feeling alot of these bands take it way too seriously.

Varg, looking at you here.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Leave No Cross Unturned has officially become the Darkthrone anthem for me.

I'm perfectly ok with this. I broke out into a huge grin the first time I listened to it. It's so over the top, especially the NOCTURNO CULLLLLTOOOO in the middle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Goddamnit I've started listening to Destroyer 666 this week. First my face melted off due to the insane riffs, then a skeleton on a motorcycle drove through my front door and abducted me. I haven't seen my wife in days and we just keep driving around demolishing poo poo. Thanks alot jerks.