Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Vaguely related to the topic: this past weekend Steingrim Torson of the Norwegian bands Selvhat, Kaosritual, and Celestial Bloodshed was killed from a shotgun blast courtesy of his best friend. Also, two churches/cemeteries around Oslo have been desecrated by some guy wearing a "The Satanic Army" shirt, who according to the sensationalist media has "ties to the satanic milieu in Oslo".
Seems like we're suddenly back in 1992 now.

Apologies for the Norwegian news-stories, but these things tend not to make international news.

edit: The story is now on Blabbermouth.

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

In my opinion, Halmstad was the best album of 2007, closely followed by Primordial. It's also the only album to date I've given a perfect 10/10 score in my soon two years (115 reviews) of writing for the Metal-Observer. Yes, Kvarforth is a humongous douchebag (he also used to scam people on merch-sale), but to dismiss him as a bad musician is preposterous. Also, keep in mind that he was fourteen years old when Submit To Self-Destruction was released, which is impressive to say the least, considering he played everything except drums on it. Besides, who cares if it's not "true" black metal anymore, nobody's bad-mouthing Enslaved for severing most ties with their roots.
However, I'm not too enthusiastic about him doing the vocals for Bethlehem's re-recording of S.U.I.Z.I.D., since the vocals on the original are a lot more deranged than anything Niklas has ever been able to churn out. Why would they even want to re-record such a classic anyways, it's fine as it is goddamnit! :(

Note: I've seen Kvarforth live with Shining, Den Saakaldte, Skitliv, and as a guest performer for Koldbrann. He does stupid poo poo, but the man knows how to put on an entertaining show.

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 12, 2009

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Kaiho posted:

so is he gay or is he just trolling for attention?

He has a girlfriend (some chick he got pregnant, apparently), and I know a female friend of mine was messing around with him at some festival. He's been known to make out with Maniac (ex-Mayhem, Skitliv) onstage, but Maniac is also loving one of the chicks in Gallhammer. Attention whores, but not homosexuals. There are usually a lot of drugs involved in those live performances, as anyone who has seen Shining will be able to attest to.

Interestingly, Gaahl has never been known to make out with anyone during his performances. True fact.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

A new church-fire in Norway, this time in Vler.

The aftermath:

No suspects have been found yet, but according to VG the police are fearing a new wave of arson. Makes me wonder if someone is celebrating Varg's release.

Norwegian so-called "Satanism"-expert posted:

We can get a new wave, a sort of backwards-looking nostalgia to the time when the Black Metal scene was "true" and evil. If you get enough people pushing eachother hard enough, these situations can arise.

As someone commented on the YouTube-clip, maybe Varg needs a cover for his upcoming album?

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 30, 2009

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Has anyone else heard the new 1349 album? It's really... Not what I expected at all. They even cover Pink Floyd's "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun".

And once again the internet legion of basement-warriors show their appreciation of change and innovation, the album currently has an average score of 2.06 with 49 ratings at rateyourmusic.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

scrabbleship posted:

Can we at least post our favorite Black Metal pseudonyms? My vote is for Demonaz.

Helle Mel P De Kristne from Kvikkslvgutene. Translates to "Pour flour on the Christians".

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Is anyone else here planning to attend Under The Black Sun this year? Can hardly wait to catch Lifelover live, for their second time ever! :D

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Mordekai posted:

I'm going. Gonna see Lifelover for the second time too! You were at the stockholm gig too? Urfaust will own too.

Nope, unfortunately I couldn't be there, as I couldn't afford the trip from northern Norway. But that just means I could allow myself to cash out for the Berlin-trip this time. :)

I remember checking out Pulver back when it was first released, through a friend of Kim Carlsson. My initial reaction was "woah, if they just clean up the production a bit, this is the next big thing in black metal." Looks like I was right. :smug:

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Well, Lifelover just canceled their UTBS-performance. God damnit, and I can't cancel my airplane tickets. They better bring in a mind-blowing replacement or I will die inside.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Mordekai posted:

WHAT. THE. gently caress!

Well, I'm not going then. Gonna catch the next show though, unless it's in South America. They are great live.

They've announced some more German shows, check their MySpace.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Mordekai posted:

Well, gonna see if I can combine it with Wacken. Would like not to (ie. would really like) travel to Germany twice this summer.

Going by your avatar, do you know if Urfaust are worth seeing live? I'll probably try seeing them, Darkspace, and Darkmoon Warrior at UtBS.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

So what gives?!? I thought the new Shining album, VI/Klagopsalmer was finally suppose to get released this week. Has it been delayed yet again? You can't find it with any of the normal online retailers and even the band itself has posted on their myspace page to ask Osmose Productions about it's distribution.

We haven't received the promo yet, either. Apparently they discovered that the album cover has already been used by another band (Klage), so they had to change it at the last minute. I'm really getting tired of waiting for this album now.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

For anyone into depressive stuff, Miserere Luminis just released their debut album, and it's sounding pretty drat good. The band is a side-project featuring musicians from Gris and Sombres Forts.

Also, I'm seeing Gorgoroth in Trondheim next monday, after seeing them twice with Gaahl and King. Even though I was a bit underwhelmed by the new album, I must admit I'm really looking forwards to seeing them with Pest.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

The Gorgoroth-concert in Trondheim was pretty excellent, they just played one or two songs from the new album as far as I can remember though. The stage-show wasn't as over the top anymore, they only had two huge inverted crucifixes and a gallows pole. However, Pest absolutely slays Gaahl on vocals (I've seen them with Gaahl twice), and since they played both Profetens penbaring and Blood Stains The Circle, I walked away satisfied. The only real letdown was that the Trondheim crowd was really lame, with emo/hardcore kids trying to start a moshpit from the very first song. Also, they only had Ad Majorem Sathanas Gloriam for sale after the concert, not even any new t-shirts. And this was supposed to be the release-concert for the new album.

On a side-note, are anyone else planning to attend Lifelover and Urfaust in Oslo next month? I'm going to do my best to be able to afford the flight down there, that looks to be a fantastic concert.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Munky from KORN posted:

I've been asking this everywhere, might as well try here: Can any of you name BM bands with a tempo like Inquisition's or Demoncy's? Both bands don't trouble themselves to play too quickly, even when they're blasting. Both bands do this while being "true" BM, not symphonic or folk or doom or anything. I want stuff like that. There's not a lot, it seems.

Beastcraft are pretty good if you're into low-tempo grim black metal.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

While it's not strictly black metal, Keep Of Kalessin have now announced that they will be participating in the 2010 Norwegian Eurovision contest.

Obsidian posted:

I think we are gonna get some reactions from the black metal scene, and lose some credibility. Some people, at least, will call us sellouts, but people saying those things are usually people who have an underground band themselves but make a living from selling hot dogs at a gas station. I think it's less of a sellout to play in the Eurovision than to sell hot dogs.

On a side note, I've just gotten confirmed that I will be studying in Toronto this spring (moving from Norway), does anyone know if there is much of a metal scene in Ontario?

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 2, 2009

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Splash Damage posted:

What are some good bands similar to Windir or Vreid? What I am mainly looking for is not singing about satan all the time and trying so hard to offend people. Black Metal might not be a good genre to look for things like that but I like the growling vocals.
Cor Scorpii is also pretty good, and features ex-members of Windir.
If you're not into the whole "satan"-thing, you could look into some of the big'uns like Immortal and Enslaved for starters, then just branch out from there.

edit: beaten. :(

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Latis posted:

Recommend to me some ambient black metal. I.E. Darkspace.

Edit: Or more...spacey black metal...if there is such a thing.

Check out Sun Of The Blind, side-project of Zhaaral from Darkspace. He released the first album earlier this year, and it's definitely worth picking up.

Also if you like "spacey" black metal, you can hardly go wrong with the newest Blut Aus Nord.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

lordblytzkrieg posted:

There's gotta be more bands like Myrkgrav out there. Off the top of my head I can think of Falkenbach and Manegarm, but other than that I can't think of anymore. Any recommendations?

Edit: Mostly just looking for black metal with the folky chanting. I can't get enough of it.

Sorgsvart, perhaps? His newest album Vikingtid Og Anarki has its moments, if you can stomach the sometimes cheesy synth.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Did anyone know that apparently Grand Belial's Key have reunited? They're playing at Hammer Open Air next summer. Looking at the line-up (GBK, Pagan Altar, The Devil's Blood, Urfaust, Ad Hominem, Goatmoon, Celestia...), I think I might look for affordable tickets to Helsinki in June.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

m-o-o-n posted:

That's great news. Any info on who's singing for them nowadays?

They apparently played a show with Absurd in Chicago a few days ago, the Metal-Archives doesn't list the new singer yet though.

quote:

I'm pretty sure it's an unfortunate person in a concentration camp, and not a pioneer girl's timberframed cabin.

That painting is by Theodor Kittelsen, and is part of his series on the black death in Norway. The paintings are considered national treasures in Norway, and certainly has nothing to do with the holocaust or NS-imagery. I think the person who posted the shirt was referring to the lebensrune on the back, which has been used by modern nazis.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Latis posted:

Speaking of Ulver, am I the only one that still listens to them post-black metal?

The Teachings In Silence compilation is one of my favorite pieces of music ever. "Not Saved" especially gives me chills, it's so subtle yet beautiful. I'm really looking forwards to the cover-album they're releasing next year. From any other band I'd disregard it as a lame cash-in, but I have faith that Ulver can pull it off.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

We have to compose a list for The Metal Observer every year, so here's my top 20 of 2009:

1. Blut Aus Nord Memoria Vetusta II: A Dialogue With The Stars
2. Drudkh Microcosmos
3. Sunn O))) Monoliths & Dimensions
4. Shrinebuilder s/t
5. Arckanum
6. Church Of Misery Houses Of The Unholy
7. Wardruna - Runaljod: Gap Var Ginnunga
8. Arghoslent / Martial Barrage Send Forth The Best Ye Breed
9. The Gates Of Slumber - Hymns Of Blood And Thunder
10. Om - God Is Good
11. Funeral Mist Maranatha
12. Wolves In The Throne Room Black Cascade
13. The Devil's Blood - The Time Of No Time Evermore
14. Wino Punctuated Equilibrium
15. Lifelover Dekadens EP
16. Fen The Malediction Fields
17. Austere To Lay Like Old Ashes
18. The Ruins Of Beverast - Foulest Semen Of A Sheltered Elite
19. Slstafir Kld
20. IXXI Elect Darkness

The worst thing to happen in black metal this year:

Bethlehem - A Sacrificial Offering to the Kingdom of Heaven in a Cracked Dogs Ear

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Noktorn posted:

Actually the members of Gorgoroth are most likely pedophiles. Actually not a joke. There was a story a while back about a Mexican concert promoter getting asked where they could get child prostitutes and this was corroborated by a friend of mine who is close friends with a Colombian booking agent. Their main request: five 12-year-old boys.

Yeah, this is not true. King Ov Hell actually works as a teacher in a primary school. They used to have a link to NAMBLA on their website, but that was likely meant to provoke. They also had some hilarious crayon-drawings in the fan-art section.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Mudflap McDirt posted:

I don't think anyone would let Infernus near children, at least that guy's got a criminal record. Loving the concept though.

edit: Unless that's actually a photo of King I haven't seen before, in which case I'm a moron. :downs:

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

MrBling posted:

Nokturnal Mortum is pretty funny in that you can trace their shifting ideologies through the various band logos they've used over time.

It starts a pretty generic logo, then the standard inverted cross then more inverted crosses and suddenly BAM!, swastikas alongside the inverted crosses and then the random pagan/celtic style dragon things to show that they're now just proud of their cultural heritage rather than nazis.

The most hilarious thing was the re-issue of Lunar Poetry which had a swastika made of AK-47s in the booklet.

On a similar note, apparently the Norwegian band Disiplin have gone from being chaos-gnostics and anti-cosmos, to being odinist neo-nazis. Also, the only steady member seems unable to settle for a pseudonym:

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=10327

quote:

WeltenFeind (also known as Eihwaz IX, Haakon Forwald, General K, Savant M, Drakul 218, Drakul Azacain) - Guitar, Bass, Drums

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Not Very Metal posted:

Because I've been listening to the poo poo out of Taake recently, can anyone recommend some other similar bands?

Try the other Norwegian band Ragnarok. Also, the Hungarian project Aetherius Obscuritas.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

I'm probably seeing Immortal in Toronto, the ticket is $55 though. Is this normal?

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 6, 2010

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

That was when he claimed to be a close relative of Vidkun himself.
Yeah, he's a nutjob.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

His views are quite tame compared to bands like M8L8TH or Peste Noire. As long as he puts out good music is all that really matters.

I'd understand this if you mentioned Ad Hominem or Absurd, but Peste Noire? They have used provocative imagery in the past, and Famine is a French nationalist, but they're far from Varg's dreams of racial purity and reversal to the old ways.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Just chiming in with more love for Belus, this is some of the best stuff Varg has ever recorded. Does anyone else think it sounds a bit like Negură Bunget at times? There are parts of the album that sound like a close cousin to their Ţesarul De Lumini.
Anyhow, it's great to see Varg coming back with such force. I was just listening to it while on the bus, and I caught myself thinking "Holy poo poo, I'm actually listening to new Burzum material. And I'm loving it!".

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

RHTITE posted:

just for kicks or someone going "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrSATAN"

This is why.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Ronnie Spector posted:

credit to anus.com

This might have been funny if Belus had featured heaps of symphonic parts and autotune. Varg isn't gonna get any new fans with this album, he'll just appease/piss off the old fanbase. Are you suggesting that he went for a broader audience? He even went back to Grieghallen to record it, and keeps refusing his labels' pleas for cash-in special edition releases (so kvlt). It's not like you'll see him flying off to L.A. for a North-American tour anytime soon.

I can see where you're coming from when you say it lacks passion (even though I disagree), but insinuating he's sold out? :confused:

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

I like this one better. Those guys also made some hip-hop videos similar to Cypress Hill.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Groke posted:

There are some actual punk rock bands still going, but most of the old ones did not survive the early/mid-1990s (after which the number of new punk bands slowed to a trickle as the kids who might have formed them were getting into metal instead).

Edit: The only new, good punk band I can think of is Brutal Kuk ("Brutal Cock") from Trondheim. They're certainly punk as hell; the one time I saw them live the concert was aborted after three songs due to some moron triggering the fire supression system (breathing that powder sucks, and turns your snot blue for a week), after which the band resorted to getting drunk and belligerent backstage and had to be evicted from the venue by the cops.

Haggis is another good Norwegian punk band, they have some metal-influences though.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Okay, I didn't see this one coming:

Proceeds from Burzum album Belus to benefit Haitian earthquake victims

quote:

Byelobog Productions announced that proceeds of the forthcoming Burzum album Belus will benefit victims of the earthquake in Haiti. The album, heralding the return of black metal legend Varg Vikernes after 11 years of inactivity, explores themes of Apollonian moral purity.

Black metal is not a label I use for my music any longer, said Vikernes. It was the dark, the Dionysiac, and that is a force no man can control. Instead, I pursue the pure and honorable, which includes racial purity for Norwegians, and helping those who suffer misfortunes in life. Vikernes added that the album will be released March 8 worldwide, including in quake-stricken Haiti.

In other words, help those less fortunate by buying Belus. :wtc:

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Pleasure to chill posted:

Strah

I see you're a Oslo-based band, so we probably have some common acquaintances. Downloading the album now. :)

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Caucasus Belli posted:

btw in case you live under a rock and missed them somehow here is some Otargos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPDK6Gj9eTc

These guys are playing at Hellfest, looking forwards to seeing them there!

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Varg's farmstead is up for sale if anyone needs a cozy place to raise their healthy aryan children. Apparently he's moved to France with his wife and daughter.

The auction site

Larger images

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Erik Danielsson is a graphic designer, I think he does a lot of their stuff.

I believe he also designed this shirt, which I am the proud owner of:

edit: I just found this. I actually really like Lawless Darkness, but Watain are so pretentious it's just ridiculous.

ElectricWizard fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 6, 2010