Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

I'm not much into black metal, but I really love Deafheaven and most of Agalloch's stuff. Can anyone recommend some more bands in that direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Thanks for all recommendations guys, sorry it's a bit late. Also I'm seeing Deafheaven live in May, super hyped for it :allears:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

err posted:

Holy gently caress. Agalloch was the best performance I've seen. See this band ASAP.

:dance::dance::dance:

Seeing them live in three weeks! And Deafheaven in two weeks, I cannot loving wait. I've watched some Agalloch live on youtube and they seem solid, but Deafheaven looks to be quite an awkward concert. I hope I'm wrong!

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Just met Deafheaven and took a pic with them, pretty drat starstruck

Edit: the show was really loving intense. It was in a "youth house", not in a club. I got there really early and got to hang with them for a bit!

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 2, 2013

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Saw Agalloch two days ago and kinda got mixed feelings, mostly because of the setlist. They played many calm songs, and only a few of the "rougher" ones. I also peeked at the setlist, and two of my favorite tracks (Into the Painted Grey and Hallways of Enchanted Ebony) were on there but were crossed over :(

If they play anywhere near me I'll see them again, but I won't go 300 miles just to see them again. Deafheaven concert was better :colbert:

edit: Faustian Echoes was easily the highpoint of the show. Fen was quite boring, they played their best track right off (Hands of Dust) and then it was kinda :effort:

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 14, 2013

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Preordered Sunbather and got the digital download, listening through it now. I haven't ever been this excited for an album

edit: Listened through it now! Loved it, it's a great direction for the band to take. Favorite track is The Pecan Tree (or Dream House, but I've been blasting that for two weeks), it's so goddamn shoegazy. But their best track is still Daedalus from the demo, I wish they played it live

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 22, 2013

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

saw Deafheaven agian yesterday, they played the entire Sunbather album + Unrequited as encore. Not as good live album as Roads to Judah, but god loving drat the crowd went wild during The Pecan Tree's last moments. Stood right by the stage, so I got to scream together into the mic with George a few times.

loving go see them, I traveled 400 miles to see them and it was so so worth it. They have some australian tour coming up if I'm not mistaken

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Woods of Desolation has a new album, stream here:

http://www.stereogum.com/1626052/stream-woods-of-desolation-as-the-stars-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/album-stream/

Haven't listened to it all but so far it's really good !

heard it all now, and holy poo poo Ad Infinitum is a great way to end an album. This year is off to a good start

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 15, 2014

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

those loving drums :aaaaa:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

New Agalloch album is up for streaming at

http://www.npr.org/2014/05/04/308273140/first-listen-agalloch-the-serpent-the-sphere

listening through it now

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

well it's a really good album but they will never top Marrow of the Spirit

edit: but jesus christ the ending to Plateau of the Ages wow

edit 2: now I don't want to go to sleep all I want to do is listen to this album. Everything about it clicks well with me now

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 6, 2014

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

thegloaming posted:

I've been going through black metal releases from the past few years. Here are some of my favorites that I don't think a lot of people have heard:

Gallowbraid Ashen Eidolon (2010)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XVATLAuYWU
Atmospheric folk metal. By far my favorite black metal release since The Mantle.
Amazon, Import ($11.28 USD) I looked everywhere for a digital release, and it doesn't look like the artist is active anymore :(

Just came in to ask for recommendations similar to Gallowbraid. Ashen Eidolon is just so loving amazing and I want more. I love the crescendos which just keep building and building

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Thanks for all recommendations, especially digging The Morningside

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

COOL CORN posted:

I used to record some sad black metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrE68rxezo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQUcDCG3MjY

Then I got married and had no time :negative:

But now I'm working on it again! Will probably have some new songs up soon-ish.

this is great and I hope you have more!

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

WATAIN is having a tour of Sweden, I heard their live shows are "interesting". Where do I start with them?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

I'm gonna go, liking the albums so far and I'm really longing for a filthy concert :v:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

I was exploring Underoaths discography and holy poo poo Cries of the Past is a drat amazing album, is that even considered black metal? For me it sounds very similar

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

COOL CORN posted:

Wow that lovely emo pop core band had a black metal album??

yeah seriously, go check it out. I THINK it's black metal and it's fuckin good

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

well alright I just thought it fit the scheme, so I asked. But I guess it's not kvlt because of their later releases which admittedly do kinda suck

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

funeral fag posted:

Hi everyone, black metal band here

well to my defense here is p much most talked about black metal band of 2013 so

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

This popped into my youtube feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXZZ4EZL3aI

Violet Cold - Desperate Dreams

I really like it. Probably Sunbather inspired, but it takes its own route with lots electronic elements on top of a black metal base

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

few days old news but deafheaven have a new track

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLoGU6l88QA

is dope as hellllll

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

new deafheaven song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMDw5A2eGOU

owns

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

go see Deafheaven, they're pretty much the best live band ever if you get into the groove. I hope they'll tour europe soon again

Just don't forget your black jeans, black combat boots and black longsleeve shirt :v:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

nerve posted:

Maybe he just meant in his opinion

Yeah. I mean I love them, look at my avatar. I've traveled over 800 miles to see them and it was still worth every penny :v:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

whole deafheaven albums is amazing but Gifts of the Earth is just :vince:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

who cares where it's streaming as long as it's actually up? you loving babies

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

COOL CORN posted:

but but my credibility :cry:

it's already lost if you listen to deafheaven

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I'm gonna go see Abbath this January, along with Behemoth, Inquisition and Entombed. :3: That set list doesn't look bad, haven't really listened to I, but yeah I hope they play more old Immortal.

few pages back but, me too! In Stockholm or?

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

hard to pick a favorite, but these are top in no particular order:

Deafheaven - New Bermuda obviously. Harsher and rawer Roads to Judah which is fine by me. Another Sunbather would be boring

Mgla - Exercises in Fulitity My homeland creates some beautiful BM :v: I liked With Heart Towards None, but this one.. just haven't stopped listening to it since release

Bosse De Nage - All fours Has my fav track of this year so far, Washerwoman. So loving intense and depressive :v:

Myrkur - M Has many outright weak points, but overall a different and unique enough album for me to like.

I'm obviously biased towards hipster metal. But gently caress Liturgy lol that poo poo sucked.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

I'll have to add Panopticon to my list best of 2015 list. I was never a fan of Kentucky so I skipped Autumn Forever, but seeing it mentioned so many times I gave it a spin. First listen and I'm already repeating tracks over an over.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Saw Myrkur + Deafheaven yesterday. Myrkur was alright, somewhat quiet and boring at times. Deafheaven rocked as usual, but New Bermuda is just so much different live than I expected. Felt more like a chilled out post-rock trip with breakdowns than black metal. Still great though.

e: Violet Cold is kinda weird for me too. I really like it when I listen to it, then forget about it for months :v:

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

So I just found Batushka from the Behemoths Poland tour announcement. I absolutely love it, except the gregorian chants. I love the vocal style, is there any BM band that's similar to it? The only I can think of is Children of Bodom but that's not even BM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ3DHGutU3w

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

A human heart posted:

Do you just want similar vocals, or stuff that is musically similar as well?

Vocals, but without the chanting.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Long shot, but a friend is bailing (for legit reasons) on a concert in Stockholm, for Panopticon + Waldgefluster (Nordvis thing), 30th september. So it's next weekend. I have his ticket, anyone wanna go? I'll give it away for free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

New Waldgefluster record is pretty good so far, if you like pagan BM. Doesn't bring very much new to the genre though

https://blackmetalwaldgefluester.bandcamp.com/album/ruinen