Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Man, THIS is the same guy that wrote Antichrist and Pentagram? What the gently caress happened? You know, these reunions make me kinda sad. Albums by Absu, Immortal, Gorgoroth are things that should be celebrated and anticipated because they were going to be great works, not releases by bands that seem to have forgotten how to critically look at their own work and excercise a little quality control (I guess this applies to Immortal's albums post At The Heart Of Winter also). I always hope that it's just ring rust and they're gonna come storming back after the album and a good bout of touring as a well oiled machine who remembers how to make awesome music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
The album plays kind of like the Cliff's notes of a bunch of completely unrelated short stories, instead of a complete novel like Hvis Lyset Tar Oss. He's written some incredible riffs on this record, but there's no sense of spirituality or urgency that he once had. There are times that he comes close, but they still pale in comparison to his older work. He either needs to find the fire again (heh heh), or think another creative outlet. Also, to my ears, this album sounds very Eastern European at times. Burzum worshiping Drudkh worshiping Burzum?

In two months, this album will be forgotten in favour of the next new thing up until it wins all the Black Metal album of the year polls, and then it'll fade into history as just another folder on an iPod. Fuckin' sad, man.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Razor posted:

Varg's been in prison for a long time, man. I'm not the same person I was 15 years ago; are you? It makes sense that Varg's musical direction has changed a bit, and should have been expected.

Of course, but what I'm saying is that he doesn't seem to have the same level of inspiration (whatever it may be) that he had 16 years ago. This causes the album to take on an overall tone where it sounds like Burzum Does Burzum, instead of just Burzum. Basically, most of it is an unfocused mess. He may not have it anymore, or he may simply be out of practice.

Belus just doesn't stand up side by side with albums like Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Det Som Engang Var, so I'd feel like quite the rear end if I was to recommend it, regardless of how much I like it (and barring a few really low points, I do)

lordblytzkrieg posted:

You've hit the nail on the head as to why Filosofem is so good. It's 100% subtle and unless you're really listening you just can't pick up on what makes it magical. The thing you have to remember though, is that albums are recorded for a reason; To get material down on a repeatable format and move on as a musician. Now, "Belus" maybe a "pay the bills" type album, but for what it is it's a pretty drat good listen. So...I guess what I'm trying to say is, If I want Filosofem I'll listen to THAT album, not Belus.

"a pretty drat good listen" is something that should never be used to describe Burzum, because Burzum has always been better than that (I'll cheat here and put a note about Daudi Baldrs also, because that was fairly stinky as well). A mediocre Burzum album ie:Belus is an anomaly, and shouldn't be supported. I've been really enjoying listening to it, but I don't think anyone in good conscience should be able to recommend it. It won't stand up. Mediocre Burzum is still better than most, but that doesn't excuse the mediocrity.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

lordblytzkrieg posted:

When you put it like that of course Belus wont stand up at all, because you've had what like a day to listen to Belus and pushing 15 years to listen and fall in love with the other two albums?

I'm not sure where you're going here, but yes, it's reasonable to figure it out in a day when there's absolutely no mystery to be found in the music.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

It's just an older guy putting out a drat good metal album. Plain and simple.

And that's what's so fuckin' sad about this.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Does anyone know of any reason why these churches are being burned? It's kind of important if you want to make this strong of a statement, to actually say something, and to say something that actually make sense and is intelligent, or else they'll just increase the resolve of their targets while they rebuild their churches. If this is just for kicks or someone going "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrSATAN", then they would have been more useful just staying home and beating off.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Oldstench posted:

The thing is, I doubt we would even be having this discussion were this not a new Burzum album. It barely held my interest for one complete listen. There is just so much better music out there, but, it's Burzum right?

I can't say I'm exactly disappointed as I wasn't really anticipating anything great. I know the man's gotta eat, but I really wish that more artists would either hang it up while still on top of their game leaving us wanting more (Kvist anyone?) rather than put out uninspired albums knowing the strength of their name alone will sell it.

I almost think you can give Burzum the Slayer Exemption. He's created beautiful music in the past, and his mediocre output is still more interesting than a lot of other poo poo out there. He's got bills/fines to pay and I think, like Slayer, it's OK for him to get that poo poo paid off. A part of me still trusts that he can find his voice again, anyway. I hope I don't come off as making excuses for him, because I try to be hard on mediocre music, it's just that mediocre Burzum is still better than mediocre most other guys so maybe that is making me all soft on him.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Last Eunuch Horn posted:

London, Ontario? Windsor? Their wikipedia page calls them "blackened doom metal", but they aren't straight-up black metal at all. There's a weird, grunge/folk thing going on with their music, which isn't really a bad thing. I don't know how to describe it, except that I kind of want to hear a Neil Young cover of this song:
"Your Ontario Town is a Burial Ground"
I just left one of those burial grounds, so I've listened to this maybe too much. It is awesome.

More like Embarrassing Blackened Livejournal Rant Over Boring Rock N' Roll

Ever since I was born in a northern town
I've been digging myself out
From a time when I hadn't seen
Anything worth remembering

I would aspire to better life
To feast my eyes and expand my mind
I'd lie awake, I could not wait
To leave this place behind

Your Ontario town is just a burial ground
For old friends

Inspired by hopelessness
From where my discontent once began
I miss the nature and the wilderness
But not the people there

As old stores will close their doors
Other ones may change their names
But old friends still live their lives
Where I would have died of shame
For old friends

You say that you grew up
You say that you tried
I think you took the easy way out
I say you gave up
I say you died

You'll say that you're content
You'll say there's no regrets
But I think you took the easy way out
For if you're not dreaming anymore
You're already dead

What a shame for those who chose
To be wasted in the north
What a shame to know nothing more
Than the town where you were born
For old friends

Kick over the stone that bares your name
I spit on the snow that covers your grave

The guy's first album, while pretty forgettable, was enjoyable enough. Everything that I've listened to from him since then has left me feeling insulted thinking "Did they really put that stuff out with a straight face?" You're quite right about the Neil Young point, though, but it shouldn't be a cover song. He, or someone in that style, should have been the one to do this song. Folk/Rock is a much more fertile ground for this kind of soul searching stuff. It doesn't belong in Metal *strokes spiked wristband*

RHTITE fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 19, 2010

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Unblack Metal ranks up their with Red Anarchist Black Metal as two of the stupider concepts to have ever come up from the moron brigade of the Metal world. Seriously, the ideals are like trying to mix matter and antimatter. Also, the only two bands worth a poo poo in Black Metal whose vocalists also play the drums are the following:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLEYvjUyixc - Absu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrRj7ejHFTY - Profanatica

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

IRQ posted:

I can understand not liking Burzum much, but not worth a poo poo?

Well, you got me. In my defense though, the case could also be made with Burzum nowadays.

Fuklaw posted:

Seriously guys? Do people really feel the need to bring this poo poo up every two months?

"they're playing black metal, but instead of singing about satan, they're singing about something else! how CRAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZYYYYYY!"

A Catholic priest is up doin his thing on Sunday morning, giving a wonderful sermon when all of a sudden he starts talking passionately about the practice of ritual cat sodomy. His congregation is aghast as he goes into great detail about the spiritual healing that can be attained from the violation of various breeds of long haired cats compared to the lesser gains from short haired breeds. I think most people would consider that as something that has no place in the church, and the priest would be run out of town on a rail, mocked and soon forgotten. Much the same way that all of these gimmick bands have been throughout the entire history of the genre. They just never have anything worthwhile to offer.

By the by, I didn't say anything about Satan. Almost all "Satanic" Black Metal bands suck to.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

NATO posted:

Call me crazy, but I think the phenomenon of unblack metal is actually a positive development. Not because of the music itself - which I haven't heard so far - but because it shows that people of various backgrounds are still interested in extreme metal enough to express themselves through it.

It might be positive if any of the bands ever showed themselves to be more than a social club with Black Metal riffs. The problem is that these guys never seem to get past the dress up part of the equation, so they end up sounding like a half-warmed copycat. Wolves In The Throne Room has come close once or twice, but to my ears, it sounds like their well ran dry like all the others :(. I dunno, I'm one of those guys that takes it super seriously, and I've never heard any of these gimmicky bands achieve anything other than mediocrity in the end. I really don't think there's a pot of gold at the end of this particular rainbow.

Anyway, I'm waking up to Midnight Odyssey this morning, and really liking their The Firmament album. Like 75% synthy Filosofem and 25% shoegaze. It's a lot more focused than his demo and it sounds like he's really on to something here.

http://www.myspace.com/midnightodysseyband

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Fuklaw posted:

How is being atheist or christian - things normal people actually believe - any more gimmicky than being satanist or asatru, things which barely exist outside of teenagers' basements?

I don't recall saying that they are, other than in the context of a Black Metal band. In that case, yes, I would likely consider them gimmicky since that's all I've ever seen out of them, like I said.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

drainpipe posted:

Anyone listened to Drudkh's latest, Handful of Stars? It has a very different sound from their previous works. It's hard to even classify as black metal. Way more rock-influenced like Amesoeurs and Lantlos. No more buzzy folk-tinged stuff, the guitar is remarkably cleaner and everything is just more stripped down. There's even David Gilmour-esque guitar solos at two points. I really enjoyed it, but I also like the post-punk take on black metal that's been getting popular lately.

They must have written this album before they heard Belus. Indie Shoegazer Black Metal is loving stupid and this album is the terrible among the bad. It isn't surprising at all since Drudkh hasn't had an original, let alone good, idea in their entire lifespan, but I still manage to let myself get disappointed by these things.

On the other hand, the samples from the new Enslaved album make it sound like they might be going in an interesting direction again, and Averse Sefira are working on a new album http://aversesefira.blogspot.com/ :neckbeard:

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Hrafn posted:

Bashing Drudkh as indie hipster poo poo while being excited about new Enslaved is pretty wierd. Though I agree that Handful of Stars is easily their worst, I think Forgotten Legends is one of the top albums of the decade.

And seconding the joy over a new Averse Sefira album. They can do no wrong. I hope.

I don't get it. When I listen to the later Enslaved albums (from ELD on) I hear a band that stumbled in finding their inspiration and skill again after two amazing albums in Vikingligr Veldi and Frost, made a freaking savage Speed Metal album (Blodhemn) and then realized that they needed to go in a new direction the same way Immortal did, releasing Mardraum. They certainly haven't been great since then, but they haven't been entirely terrible either, and I haven't heard anything that would make me question the purity of their intent, as I understand it. Drudkh, on the other hand, after 2 decent but redundant albums in Autumn Aurora and Swan Road, showed that their well ran dry of Burzum and Graveland influences, so they scrambled through half thought out folk and icky Black Metal before finally publically whoring themselves out to prevailing trend of the day for lack of solid ideas with this new album.

I admit to being pretty protective of Enslaved though, since I believe that if you release a set of albums like Yggdrasil, Hordane's Land, Vikingligr Veldi and Frost, you get a lot more room to gently caress up afterwords. It's Slayer's Law. And they're still an OK Heavy Metal band, no matter how disappointed I might be that they went this way. Drudkh isn't there yet by a long shot.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
You know, I still say that the Indie Shoegazey droning Black Metal is awful, but there are a couple of really neat instances where that style is used as a launching pad for really inspired hybridizations of Black Metal. First example would be Midnight Odyssey's release Forest Poetry which mixes the repetitive droning with Burzum's Filosofem type of pop structure to make a very contemplative album. Also there's the I Shalt Become album Poison which takes the shoegazing and mixes it with doom metal pacing and epic symphonic "soundtrack" type classical to make a very claustrophobic and emotionally imposing album.

I guess my point is that Indie Black Metal is basically half baked music where all the technique is there, but it's completely soulless, like the Drudkh album, so why listen to/recommend it?

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

het posted:

Well I don't really accept the premise that it's soulless, but beyond that, if I enjoy it, why not listen to it?

If nothing else, I'm genuinely happy that it makes you happy. I enjoy tonnes of stuff that I'd describe to someone as bad, but I think that it's better to recommend to someone a really top notch record/genre/dildo etc as opposed to an average one. The great stuff will be a more fulfilling experience for a longer time, and will lead the person to stuff that's connected to the great "X" as opposed to the average one. I'm a spazzy elitist so it seems like there's always going to be clashes of opinion on what constitutes great, but it's nice to just hang out and shoot the poo poo while typing a lot of fuckin words about Black Metal.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

SinetheGuy posted:

So I've spent the last couple months completely immersing myself in doom metal, after many years flirting with more obvious forms of underground metal. Black metal never really grabbed me until today. I've been listening to Hvis Lyset Tar Oss over and over again. It's loving blowing my mind.

What can the experts recommend in that atmospheric/drony vein? More Burzum is in order, of course.

It's tough giving recommendations in this case, because you've already started at the top. It's all downhill from Hvis Lyset Tar Oss as far as Black Metal goes. The only album that comes close is Vikingligr Veldi by Enslaved. That's basically it. Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and Vikingligr Veldi are pretty much the beginning and the end of what you're looking for in the droning atmospheric style. There are a million and one bands that have tried to nail this style of music, but they almost all completely miss the mark because they seem to be too hung up on the technique, without understanding the motivation behind the music. Wolves In The Throne Room's Two Hunters is probably the closest I've heard to Burzum's quality, but although it's an enjoyable listen, it's still not really saying much when you have the Burzum album there.

Pretty much all the other Burzum metal albums are going to fulfill that need as well, to varying degrees. Filosofem will likely challenge your aesthetic tolerance, but is incredible, in that it takes a lot of the lessons from Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and applies them to a pop music structure, making it as listenable and viral as any chart topping pop album. Belus is a terrible Burzum album, putting it above 2/3 of the Black Metal out there, but it will be disappointing in the extreme following his previous Metal records. The riff craft is amazing, though.

The Transylvanian Hunger recommendation is another good one, although Darkthrone creates their atmospheres through sneering reduction of Metal to it's most basic elements, and rebuilding the whole poisoned mess in to something akin to the sound of a rushing river.

Immortal's Pure Holocaust album is an extremely intense dual guitar attack swirling through blasting Black Metal to an almost hypnotic effect. Generally the songs on the album are shorter than the above, but the album whole will certainly take you towards the same place mentally and emotionally.

Another stand out is Beherit's Engram. They take a fairly simplistic and repetitive style of mid paced Black Metal and infuse it with layered synth that ranges from nearly subliminal suggestion to suddenly standing front and centre to back again. This serves to pull you in to a seriously contemplative place. One of the best ever.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

MrBling posted:

Now, unlike Megiddo I'm pretty sure that we've never actually discussed Tearstained in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3vWlF_55yA

Tearstained is sort of like a Mercyful Fate crossed with Celtic Frost/Bathory.

Cut my life into pieces
This is my last resort
Suffocation
No breathing
Don't give a gently caress if I cut my arm bleeding

This is my last resort

Cut my life into pieces
I've reached my last resort
Suffocation
No breathing
Do you even care if I die bleeding
Who did me wrong
Who did me right
If I took my life tonight
Chances are that I might
Mutilation outta sight
And I'm contemplating suicide

'Cause I'm losing my sight
Losing my mind
Wish somebody would tell me I'm fine
Losing my sight
Losing my mind

I never realized I was spread too thin
Till it was too late
And I was empty within
Hungry
Feeding on chaos
And living in sin
Downward spiral where do I begin
It all started when I lost my mother
No love for myself
And no love for another
Searching to find a love up on a higher level
Finding nothing but questions and devils

Losing my mind
Wish somebody would tell me in fine
Losing my sight
Losing my mind
Nothing's alright
Nothing is fine
I'm running and I'm crying
I'm crying
I'm crying
I'm crying
I'm crying

I can't go on living this way

Cut my life into pieces
This is my last resort
Suffocation
No breathing
Who did me wrong
Who did me right
If I took my life tonight
Chances are dynamite
Mutilation outta sight
And I'm contemplating suicide

Losing my mind
Losing my sight
Losing my mind
Nothing's alright
Nothing is fine
I'm running and I'm crying

I can't go on living this way
Can't go on
Living this way
Nothing's alright

This is a really awful song dude.

This Tearstained song is pretty loving funny, though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u82FVPHLObY&feature=related

So bad.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
The producers of Until The Light Takes Us are streaming the entire movie, plus extras on the movie's website now http://www.blackmetalmovie.com/moviepage.html

edit: Oh but you have to pay for it. I should really check these things out before I rush to post post post. It is worth the $2.49, though.

RHTITE fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 6, 2010

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Cold Day posted:

What not cookie cutter BM are we looking forward to this year?

I don't know any other than Lifelover.

Averse Sefira

Demoncy

Maybe a gently caress tonne of Sorcier Des Glaces material

Maybe Beherit

Could be a pretty righteous year.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
New Burzum album samples up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fallen/dp/B004KVY5QU/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296061344&sr=301-1

It sounds like the album is going to be really good riffs surrounded by really bad songs.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Fallen is one of the worst albums I've ever heard in my life, regardless of genre, or any other measure. I'm not exaggerating when I say this. There is nothing good here and nothing worth hearing even once.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
If there's a positive to be had with this album, it's that someone might steal some of the good guitar work there is here, and adaptive it for their own work, which may push it over the top into greatness. If nothing else, Varg does show that he still knows how to create a riff, even if he doesn't display it much on this album. The other thing that I like is his use of double and triple guitar lines all over this album. It's something that really doesn't happen enough, and I believe that it could be a tool that people should use more often. It can really push your music over the top.

Other than that, I'll cop to a teeny smidge of hyperbole in saying it's the worst album I've ever heard, but it is shockingly awful, and really has no redeeming value beyond a few nice aesthetic ideas. These songs are almost surely waste cuts from the Belus sessions that were taken and overworked and over thought before being shoehorned onto this wreck of an album. Literally everything tried, missed.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Morbid Florist posted:

Sure it's not as good as belus, but there are far worse black metal albums released recently (new gorgoroth comes to mind).

That's kind of like recommending the poo poo salad to someone who tells you that they didn't enjoy the poo poo sandwich. Why settle?

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

Here is Audio from Philadelphia's D-Beat Black Metal masters Infernal Stronghold set @ KFN on 2 - 15 - 11.

http://blog.phillymetal.com/?p=85

I wonder if there's ever been a band other than Immortal that was able to actually make good Black Metal while showing off their sense of humour. These guys don't do either very well.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

I can't speak for the band but why would you presume humor?

http://infernalstronghold.com/home.php

Infernal Stronghold.

"Extreme Championship Black Metal since 2002"

Also, their song titles and lyrics.

http://www.metal-archives.com/viewlyrics.php?id=1716220

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Carpathian Forest is really bad and I had forgotten them I guess. How the gently caress did I forget about Darkthrone, though? I guess Havohej/Profanatica also count in the over the top category.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Ghost of Orbo posted:

I am.

The only good thing I can see coming from NPR playing metal and bullshit films like Until the Light Takes Us is that it'll speed up the inevitable collapse of the current metal fad.

To me, one of the most appealing aspects of the genre is that it was something you're not supposed to know about. Or at least the illusion of that feeling.

I don't want to argue the intellectual validity of black metal, I just want to be a sad motherfucker and listen to it on my own terms. It's a genre that simply falls apart when it's introduced to the "progressive attitude" you mention.

To paraphrase someone from another forum, "black metal used to be about sitting in your room, alone, listening to Darkthrone".

I like "Black Metal used to be about sitting in your room with like minded friends listening to Darkthrone, and then doing something about their dissatisfaction" better. Church burning and the murder of old gay dudes in the forest may or may not be required, but they accomplished something more useful than sitting around feeling sorry for themselves. Basically, there's not really any room for weepy non-contributors in any corner of life, including Black Metal. What Black Metal are you listening to that is at all conducive to being a "sad motherfucker listening to it on it's own terms"?

Ghost of Orbo posted:

What? I can't hear either of you over my esoteric tastes.

I bet you both gave Transcendental Black Metal rave reviews.

You are just as bad as those Liturgy dudes, just from a different direction. How about some nice shoegaze music?

Also, the best spergy manifesto/essay is the one from Ildjarn Is Dead http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CC5OG1J1

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Instead of a painful 19 minutes, they could have boiled that song down to the best couple of ideas and had a perfectly inoffensive 7-9 minute song, while still allowing them to express their ideas in a long, atmospheric song with the soundtrack style Classical elements. You don't need to make your song 3 days long to make it "epic". Especially when your music ain't that great in the first place. I would definitely prefer going to a band like Avzhia, if I wanted to listen to some Black Metal in this style. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpPNXnOvB-Y

Not really my favourite stuff, though. Almost every band I've heard do this style end up making stuff that is way too sappy and sentimental.

Gr31lly posted:

Watain :madmax:

[edit] That's not to say Watain are in any way compromising their music or outlook in order to appeal to mainstream factors though. At the end of the day, an artist doesn't have any control over who their music/image will appeal to, short of tailoring it to one crowd. I mean, look at the practices of bands like Moonblood - sticking to vinyl and cassette only ended up making them even more appealing to most of the people they weren't interested in attracting.

Watain's last album was basically a glowing tribute to Speed Metal, with a few blast beats thrown in. Maybe that's Orthodox Black Metal. I dunno.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Hellwuzzat posted:

So, uhhh, what do you folks think of that there Demonaz solo affair "March of the Norse"?

An intro piece, and then a song repeated with almost no variation 8 times over. And it's not a very good song. Probably will never get over my love of the Immortal guitar tone/technique, though.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Empty, speedy riffs
Old writers trapped in the past
It's fuckin boring.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

ape canyon posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, particularly Nordvargr. I appreciate the effort and definitely I'm going to check out a lot of these projects in depth. Just curious, are you into noise at all? The Lustmord track in particular reminds me of some of the more minimal Haters work.

That said, I'm looking for somewhat more "cheesy synth" style stuff, such as this and this. Something about these tracks really gets to me, and I'd kill to hear more like it.

How about some Summoning? They do keep percussion, vocals and guitar in their music, but they are not made the focus the way that most Metal bands do. It should scratch that cheese itch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHESjItTd-Q

You may also want to have a look at the https://kcuf.com radio page, since they have old rear end archives of their shows for download. In the Ambient section, you'll find a show called "Headspace". I think that will do you well. The only problem is that these shows were archived in the original days of mp3, so the quality is truly awful. I haven't been able to find links to the stuff that wouldn't count as :files:

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

E2M2 posted:

So what Enslaved albums should I listen to to get into them? Gonna see Enslaved and Alcest next month.

You only really need Vikinligr Veldi, Frost and Blodhemn. Maybe Eld also, but it's not very good stacked beside their other work from those years. Their material after that is just fairly straight forward and boring proggy metal that isn't like bad, you just don't need it. Along with Immortal, they had the best albums of the old Black Metal bands that sold out.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

E2M2 posted:

Is it me or is the new WitTR kinda lovely? Or not nearly as good as their older stuff.

Yeah but if you buy this album, you get 2% off your interest rate on the purchase of a 2012 Scion, so you can't hate them for having a record of about 8 minutes of dumb black metal and like 40 of dumb "profound" ambient trash. They're just trying to save a tree, man.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Go listen to the new Midnight Odyssey album, please. It's 2 hours long, and that will drive away a lot of jerks with bad taste and no attention span, but this really is an important album. Dis Pater has a very interesting combination of synth pop (house techno, Tangerine Dream styled ambient synths) and slow building Burzum styled Black Metal. He also shows much more influence from Shoe Gaze style Black Metal this time around, but without the silly maudlin self loathing you hear in most Shoe Gaze. His gaze is definitely outward and upward. Great record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i49Gye5euQ

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Hrafn posted:

Midnight Odyssey is one of the most exciting projects of recent years, and this sounds like it combines all the best elements of the demos. One really doesn't feel the length of these songs, because there's always something interesting going on. Do you know how his other project "The Crevices Below" compares to this?

Absolutely doesn't hold a candle to Midnight Odyssey. This project is much more guitar riff driven and focuses a lot more on his Doom Metal and new wave Goth punk influence, while still being drenched in synth. It's fully realized music, but feels like the trimmings from Midnight Odyssey sessions where his attention has wandered and his thinking strays to a more Heavy Metal mode. It's not really bad, but completely unnecessary after listening to Midnight Odyssey.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
"Depressive" Black Metal is a serious cul de sac when it comes to musical quality. Most of it resides on the same level as any sad song you'd hear on the radio, just with more pointless interludes and distortion. It's generally pretty boring. You're better off going for stuff where the band explores that despair and from there, looks to something higher than wallowing in personal drama. The best bet for this is the first 4 Burzum albums.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Hrafn posted:

So apparently Varg is pulling a George Lucas and is releasing a set of re-recordings of old Burzum tracks recorded "the way he originally intended!!":

http://www.plastichead.com/catalogue.asp?ex=fitem&verb=F&target=BYE009CD

Should be interesting, though I'm not expecting much.

If he wanted to go back and re-release old material, he should have done Daudi Baldrs and Hlidskalf. Actually, I bet that those will be the 2012 and 2013 albums. I guess being a farmer doesn't pay what it used to.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Ain't no way a motherfucker with a name like Hunter Hunt-Hendrix and a look like Kurt Cobain is gonna write some loving good Black Metal. Some things are just easy to spot at first glance. This Averse Sefira member sums them up nicely: http://aversesefira.blogspot.com/2011/08/pretenders.html

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

spe posted:

Sorry mate, none of them are doing it for me, its a bit too punk. My favourite black metal tune so far is probably that song dunlop linked, "Jesus' Tod (cos he's got no friends)". I listened to tons of punk for years and those tunes sound like proper bog standard punk tunes with black metal screeching on top, I like it a bit faster and I especially like how repetitive and simplistic that burzum song is.

Repetition is probably the most brutal technique in music, play the most technical & heavy thing in the world and it still won't hold a candle to the same riff being played for 8 minutes solid.

Dunno what brought that up, but its probably true!

Try Into Oblivion's Album, Creation Of A Monolith or Midnight Odyssey's Funerals From The Astral Sphere. The Midnight Odyssey album is the best that will be released this year (unless the new Demoncy album actually surfaces) and is one of the very few bands that carry on the Burzum style of Black Metal where you don't end up wondering why you just didn't listen to Burzum in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Shockingly enough, that Burzum greatest hits album is not very good or interesting! With the modern Burzum production values, all the soul and improvisational feeling is stripped away, which really does a number on a lot of the songs. Spell Of Destruction sounds like a crushing Doom Metal song, but not much else is interesting here. The standout songs are the interlude noise tracks. Varg has a knack for that kind of composing and I wish he'd explore that further.