Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Kaiho posted:

Just heard some of the new Burzum on radio. Holy poo poo how boring. I don't know if it's because I wasn't zoning into it like I sometimes do but man that was snoozeworthy.

edit: I mean it sounded like Burzum from the instant it started playing, but goddang.

Listen to it with a nice pair of headphones before going to bed. You'll pick up on a lot of good vibes, especially for ambient works. But I thought it was actually really good. It's kind of hard to top Filosofem (personal favorite) or his other earlier works, but I really enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

ResonanceCascade posted:

I can't get into any other black metal bands than Peste Noire and Burzum. And what is with the bad synth stuff on the Windir albums? Maybe I should stop looking for more.

Check out Mortifera, both pretty similar. I'm seeing Alcest in NYC in April, check that guy out too, some good poo poo right there.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

JohnPaul2nd posted:

Have you guys checked out The Black Satans -The Mutilation of Christ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bQM5G5y7ik

I lawled at the Cradle shirts.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

QPZIL posted:

(Crossposting with the regular metal thread)

You guys liked my ode to Hurricane Irene, "Hurricane Slayin'," and you guys liked my Ensrug stuff, SO... you guys get to be the first to hear a new Ensrug track:

I humbly present for your enjoyment, a blackened song of loss and solemnity,

Ensrug - "Ghost of Verdance"

This is really loving good man, it's almost like Agalloch with more aggression I feel.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Is Ceremonial Castings worth checking into? My friend played a few tracks for me while on a drive and they sound pretty promising. Their albums seem highly appraised according to reviews but was just curious if anyone had any insight or just a good general starting point.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

"Satanism is Atheism with a very dark sense of humor." - Jason Mendoca

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Yeah I think Emperor nailed the "just the right amount of Symphonic elements in black metal" and that's why they own. Plus I think Ihsahn had one of the most badass vocals in black metal but a lot of people don't think so.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

This extremely cold week we've been having in New England has really rekindled my love for black metal. I popped in "Filosfem" and it felt just right.

I was listening to The Swan Road by Drudkh a few days ago while driving at night through some mountains and I was lost in a realm of overwhelming beauty, I felt like I was in a poem or some poo poo man it was awesome.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 28, 2013

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

I could listen to Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite for months on end, easily one of my favorite black metal albums. Choirs and doom makes for an incredible atmosphere.

Apparently he gathered some session musicians up because he played at Roadburn this year. Little skeptical how it would turn out live at first but listening to it they pulled it off very well indeed. Blood Vaults is gonna kick my rear end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZlklrN9dmo

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 5, 2013

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Cross posting from the Metal thread but the new Shining 8 ½ - Feberdrömmar i vaket tillstånd, is turning out to be a pretty crazy release. Each of the songs are sung by a different front man. Gaahl, Famine, Maniac, and Atilla, each take a song and they are all awesome. It is a lot more raw and dirtier than their previous but I am liking it so far, defiantly buying this poo poo for sure.

Edit-Attila is the loving man

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 9, 2013

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

drat I didn't know Dark Fortress released a new album this year, it is pretty drat good. Sounds like Old School Opeth in some parts.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

So Oathbound by Hoth is my Black metal album of the year, don't know about ya'll.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

So Arcturus have finished recording their new album. I am sure it will be amazing, and hopefully they will do a tour with it as well!

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

A human heart posted:

Are they still making circus themed nonsense with dance beats or have they moved on to something else?

I hope so because I think it is pretty awesome. ;)

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

New Leviathan Song Up

http://www.metalsucks.net/2015/01/15/tongues-ears-toward-new-leviathan-song/

I am liking what I hear. I was a fan of his last album as well.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Optimum Gulps posted:

Not strictly black metal, but more epic death metal with a fairly strong black metal influence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID9Jr5nOIZI

If you like Grave Miasma at all, you'll probably like Desolate Shrine. They've put out what's definitely one of my favorite releases so far this year...yes I know it's barely been two weeks, but there's been a lot!

This owns, thanks for this.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

Some days you just find out something really amazing.

Like that the kid on the box art for Skate or Die 2 is actually Jef Whitehead / Wrest

Amazing.

Im sure most people hear have seen it but there is a documentary on Youtube called One Man Metal. It follows the guys the from Xasthur, Striborg. and Leviathan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQl6PzXU4cQ

It is a good combination of depression, rage, and awkward hilarity.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 23, 2015

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

That makes sense.

I think it was just jarring to have these really up-front no-frills interviews with Whitehead/Connor, and then a goofy full-makeup-and-cape interview with Sin Nanna. I definitely like his take on black metal being an expression of nature and not necessarily full of hatred and loneliness all the time.

Actually, I just need to watch the documentary again. Are there any other "good" black metal documentaries on Youtube? There are lots, but most are just a mess.

Until the Light Takes Us is the only one worth watching in my opinion. The others are just awkward interviews that aren't done very well.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 23, 2015

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Zsa Zsa Gabor posted:

I remember enjoying that doc the first time I saw it, but after rewatching it a couple of weeks ago I don't know why I did (like it the first time, that is). The underlying idea is worth exploring (how black metal went from subversive art form to mundane trend), but the filmmakers never go below the surface and prefer to go over the whole arson & murder angle. They also waste a lot of time with pointless fait divers, like the Darkthrone dude talking to someone on the phone, Frost busy being Frost and Garm's 45 seconds of being a massive douche.

Said angle does have its appeal, of course, it's the reason why black metal went from underground movement to media phenomenon in the early 90s, but personally can't say I'm really interested in it anymore and would much rather see some focus on the music and how the whole scene evolved for the past 25 years.

Yeah I hear you. Part of the reason I probably like it so much is because the other documentaries out there are pretty bad. Vice did one about like 5 years ago or something and the whole thing was pretty much them and Gaahl hiking up a mountain and getting wasted. Another one the quality was so bad I couldn't really enjoy it.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 23, 2015

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

deadking posted:

Until the Light Takes Us was OK, but as Cool Corn pointed out, it's yet another take on the Norwegian second wave black metal scene, which is one of the most well-known and well-covered parts of black metal. While the Vice One Man Metal documentary isn't fantastic, it at least offers a look at a different approach to black metal. Personally, I'd love a documentary on the French scene (LLN or their successors), because French black metal is some of the best that's come out recently and is relatively under explored. The Black Twilight Circle might also make an interesting subject.

Yeah I always preferred French black metal to most of the Norwegian ones. Like Blut Aus Nord and Deathspell Omega on Camera would be amazing. They make some really chaotic poo poo.

The Norwegian scene is really hit or miss for me. I never got into Mayhem. I understand they were influential in the scene and all but the only album I really enjoyed was their first one and that Deathcrush ep or whatever. Same with Gorgoroth and Immortal. Darkthrone and Empeor just put out way better music imo. Enslaved would probably take the cake if I had to pick a favorite though.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

A human heart posted:

iirc there's a docu about the finnish scene that's supposed to be good, haven't watched it though.

e: this one, it's not on youtube in full(or at least not with english subs) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3479540/

Yeah I wanted to see that. I saw the trailer and it was just a bunch of dudes being racist. I hope it is more than that.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

funeral fag posted:

Hi everyone, black metal band here

lol

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Hulk Krogan posted:

Full album stream for Enslaved's new record is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwvcXnDl1GM

I'm halfway through it, very solid.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

New Leviathan leaked and it's really good. Definitely on the same level as Massive Conspiracy Against All Life.

Yeah I think it is one of his better works. Dawn Vibration is awesome.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfDp7EsqkLQ

Yep

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Oh hell yeah, going to try to make the Brooklyn one for sure.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Cannot wait for this. Those loving vibratos man...

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

I finally got around and listened to the new Moonsorrow record, it's pretty good. It didn't grab me as much as their other records but I think I have to give it a few more listens. Man they love that mouth harp thing.

Edit - Apparently its called a Jew's harp for some reason which is ironic since they all pagan and poo poo.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Yeah I know I just think it's hilarious that it's called that.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

https://youtu.be/JSV26Vv_SGA

never forget goons

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

The satanic frog adds to the obscurity of the music anyway, it owns.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

http://www.metalinjection.net/politics/darkthrones-fenriz-involuntarily-got-voted-to-be-a-part-of-his-towns-council

Just when I thought Fenriz couldn't get any more badass.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

New Deathspell Omega EP coming!

http://www.metalinjection.net/upcoming-releases/holy-poo poo-deathspell-omega-is-releasing-an-ep-in-november

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Man, Negura Bunget are not good anymore.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Nazzadan posted:

Hot take: Taake is the best BM band in the last 20 years and Hoest is probably top 5 BM vocalists/songwriters period

You spelt MGLA wrong.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Excited

https://youtu.be/Jz57VzkPC4k

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Both their channels are hilariously ridiculous. I really liked the one where he said I'm not anti Jewish but the Jews should really apologize to Germany.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Oldstench posted:

Appropriate since black metal is the anime of metal which is the anime of music.

Truest words in this thread.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

That was surprising good without Abbath drat.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

thylacine posted:

Atmospheric Black Metal Albums: "This account has been terminated due to multiple or severe violations of YouTube's policy against spam, deceptive practices, and misleading content or other Terms of Service violations."

Lightfox177: "This account has been terminated because we received multiple third-party claims of copyright infringement regarding material the user posted."

RIP

well, so much for net neutrality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

You really have to have hate in your heart to make really good black metal it seems.