Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Last Eunuch Horn posted:

Woods of Ypres

Man, I really loved their last album. It has an emo-ish The Cure meets Type O Negative as doom/black band vibe that screams "hate me!" but I just can't. I listened to the poo poo out of that, even if it was overlong at 75 minutes or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Never mind.

Monkeytime fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 20, 2010

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Cobweb Heart posted:

Hahaha. Were they actually joking, or being serious?

Let's not forget, this is the band that sicced their private security on some dude from D.R.I. during Deathfest for the crime of interrupting the INVOCATION OF THE BLASPHEMOUS WATAIN RITUAL by dancing a jig on the side of the stage.

As far as "war metal" goes, I've heard the term thrown around a lot in refrence to blackened thrash/thrashened black that has a bit more grittiness or lo-fi aspect to it-- Bestial Warlust, Blasphemophager, Diocletian, stuff like that. Of course, war-themed metal gets thrown in there too, like Hail of Bullets, as well as metal by guys that are at war, like Cobalt. So who knows.

And hey, as long as we're getting rid of the term "rituals," can "horde" leave along with it? I'm sick of seeing some press release that reads like "The blasphemous RAPED BY THE ARCHGOAT horde returns with 10 tracks of pure bestial hatred! "Inverting the Ritualistic oval office" will be out March 12, 2011 on Aryan Blood records."

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

This is brilliant. In related news,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E92zCs4sWto&feature=related

It's by the genius responsible for this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQsiLDAxud0, which I think I saw the metal thread.

Monkeytime fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 30, 2010

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Secks posted:

New Shining song has been posted!

Note: The song has been uploaded by Shining's manager, Patricia Thomas and posted various places by Niklas Kvarforth himself.

All I can see is VII: Förd Fairläne.

And yes, that San Antonio lineup looks killer. Since I'll be missing Deathfest this year maybe I'll make it out to "visit my family."

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

EkoEkoAzarak posted:

Full List of Celestia dates. Don't miss em!

CELESTIA North American Tour w/ FORTERESSE!

Thursday, April 21 - Bar Octobre, QUEBEC, CA
Friday, April 22 - Théatre Plaza, MONTREAL, CA
Saturday, April 23 - Scène Évolu-Son, ROUYN, CA
Sunday, April 24 - Hard Luck Bar - TORONTO, CA
Thursday, April 28 - Philadelphia, USA
Friday, April 29 - Santos Party House - NEW YORK, USA
Saturday, April 30 - Club Oasis Worcester - BOSTON, USA

Definitely going to that Philly date. Pretty stoked to see Fortresse as well, I love the whole Quebecois BM scene.

e: EkoEkoAzarak, do you know when that show starts? I'm driving from Baltimore.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I thought it was obvious I was talking about their first three, not their weird electronic stuff.

It's not electronic, but it's... poppy? It's not good. Check it out, I guess.

e: not as poppy as the new Boris but still

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Morbid Florist posted:

Is this for real?

Not as far as I can tell. They've played one scion-sponsored event, but that's it.

That would be a great deal.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Funeral Mist posted:

What's everyone's opinion on the last Sargeist record, "Let the Devil In"? One of the best black metal albums of recent times for me.

I thought it was absolutely fantastic, that album stayed in my rotation for almost a year. They and Horna are both playing at MDF this year, I'm really excited to see them.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Yeah, I mean they're so not underground any more. What sellouts.

(Wha?)

If you haven't, Tad Piecka (the guy that is Petrychor) has some solo guitar stuff that is worth checking out. Not at all black metal, more in the Kottke/Fahey/Blackshaw vein, really beautiful work.

http://tadpiecka.bandcamp.com/

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

the yeti posted:

Somewhere in the depths of this thread did I see mention of a black metal band that played all basses? Google isn't being helpful discovering if such a thing actually exists.

Neoandertals?

As for Alcest, I honestly forgot I'd even heard it. I'll have to go back and listen again, but I thought that song they did the video for didn't break much new ground.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Jesus I see what you mean. 35 minutes for a headline set - really? Really??

We caught a bit of the only support, Hierophant, and they were pretty good - very sludgey but less boring than I find most sludge bands.

The other support bands dropped out after ~major drama~. Apparently the Deafheaven drummer wore a Hate Forest t-shirt at a previous gig, and they didn't want to associate with anyone who might have Nazi sympathies. Fair enough, really.

I guess that's what happens when you tour with straightedge hardcore bands (a really bizarre pairing if you ask me).

e: I'm fine with 35 minutes when they open for Alcest next month but that's ridiculous for a headline set. Shortest headlining set I've ever seen was Primus-- 30 minutes, no encore.

Monkeytime fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 23, 2012

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Avsky is just straight up hatred, I loving love it. As long as you don't mind the NS undertones, check out M8L8TH too.

The singer from M8L8TH sounds like he's just losing his goddamn mind. That band actually reminds me a lot of early '90s hardcore, metallic riffs and a singer moving from shouting/screaming to just losing his poo poo completely.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

BosendorferIstKrieg posted:

I hope someone's mentioned Dodecahedron. Because if not, Dodecahedron: like Deathspell Omega, with less nauseous riffing.

Thanks for reminding me of this, I listened to this album a month or two ago and thought it was great.

Nuclear Fetus posted:

Not to open up a huge can of worms with the nazi stuff, but I've always found it funny how many slavic bands use neo nazi imagery and lyrical themes in their music and talk about aryan glory, when slavic people were actually considered to be scum fit to be killed off to make room for the real aryan people by the nazis.

Oh well, guess logic is too much to ask for from neo nazis, music is good though.

Yeah, this very thing broke my brain until I just stopped questioning it.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Aziraphale posted:

I will certainly give the bands you mentioned a listen.

Please spare me the hostility, I didn't mean to offend the black metal sensibilities I was trying to say I know gently caress-all about black metal and thought Obsidian Gate sounded good.

I know Immortal and I'd like the opinions of this thread concerning their Damned in Black, Sons of Northern Darkness, and [/i]At the Heart of Winter[/i] albums. I'm told they are classic Immortal stuff.

They are all great, and Battles in the North is essential as well. For someone new to black metal, Damned in Black might be a good place to start.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Aziraphale posted:

These albums are loving amazing. I wonder though if iTunes hosed something up because all the songs on Battles in the North end abruptly like the tracks are cut off. Is this album supposed to be like this?

I have it on vinyl and it does the exact same thing. It's really jarring, but intentional.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Alcest was OK on this tour but Deafheaven, holy poo poo. If you get a chance to go, make sure you see them.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

thorsilver posted:

And what's with black metal and fascism anyway? Are there no black-metal commies in the world?

Panopticon, Skagos, Wolves in the Throne Room, Iskra. Off the top of my head. There are a lot of anarcho-communist black metal acts out there, how many you want to listen to depends on how much crust you can take in your black metal.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
I would definitely recommend Sargeist, Inquisition, maybe some Naglfar.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Weaponized Cum posted:

So one of the dudes from Sonic Youth joined Twilight (American BM 'supergroup'). Pretty sick if you ask me.

It's Thurston Moore. I am... pretty excited about this news.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Nachtmystium and Weapon US tour in November, HELL YESSSS!!!

Where did you see this? I absolutely loved the last Nachtmystium record and I've missed Weapon the only time they were here (Baltimore), but they're great too and a perfect compliment for the direction that Nachtmystium took.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

nomapple posted:

With this in mind, what are people's favourite live black metal bands? Even though obviously some bands kill live, it doesn't always seem to lend itself to the live environment, perhaps due to the large number of high profile studio projects? Anyway, the first ones to spring to mind for me were Taake, Høst is a totally magnetic frontman, and their new black n roll sound on Noregs Vapen works really well live. Then there's Watain. Regardless of what you think of them, they know how to put on a live show. Everything is tight as hell, and although it's showy, the pyro does rule. Finally, Enslaved. They were one of the best bands I saw this year at hellfest, and every time I see them, they seem so happy to be on that stage, and they seem to know what the crowd want to hear.

Agreed, Enslaved is great. Marduk can be kind of same-y on record, but live they are amazing, total professionals that have been doing this a long time and know how to do it. And if you ever get a chance to see Immortal, absolutely go. Abbath has amazing presence and they sound great live.

Also, they get hated on a lot around here, but I saw Dimmu Borgir a few times about 5 years ago and they were always really, really good. Over-the-top and fun, the mix was always excellent and intelligible, and all the band members seemed to feed off the energy of the crowd. That said, no Hellhammer or ICS Vortex now so ymmv.

e: seen Nachtmystium in both their ultra-kvlt underground phase and their psychedelic phase and was blown away both times. Looking forward to seeing them on this tour with Weapon.

e2: Inquisition is great, it's amazing the amount of noise 2 dudes can put out. Frog voice live is pretty incredible as well.

Monkeytime fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 17, 2012

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

So, is anyone else going to try and hit one of the Negative Plane (w/ Vomitor) tour dates coming up soon?

I'll likely be going to the Baltimore date, but I'm kind of on the fence since the "venue" is a hipster tex-mex restaurant. The last show I saw there (Alcest and Deafheaven) left the bands kind of confused and unhappy, since there was no effective monitoring system and people were literally sitting at tables and eating burritos while they were playing.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

The Clit Avoider posted:

Inquisition are amazing live, and will blow everyone away on the stage.

Seconding this. Marduk is a really entertaining live band though I don't find myself listening to them too much on record, but Inquisition is pretty amazing all around.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Oldstench posted:

Well, Satan's been around since 1979.

Been feeling kind of old lately but finding out that even Satan himself is younger than me is pretty disheartening.

Anyone else going to Deathfest? I was just looking over the lineup and if Ihsahn opens with this I'm going to lose my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7kJ-zyCbFY

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Not Very Metal posted:

Just picked up the new album by Sad from Greece, Devouring the Divine. It's pretty great, kinda of reminiscent of the first wave sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDVfWp3e5oI

I came here to post about this. It reminds me of the Mgla record from last year that I loved so well.

Speaking of Vhol, you can stream another one of their tracks plus new ones from the forthcoming Aosoth and Woe albums here: http://stereogum.com/1267571/the-black-market-the-month-in-metal-february-2013/top-stories/

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

QPZIL posted:

I dig the new Deafheaven, but I wouldn't really call it black metal at all. Blast beats and tremelo-picked guitars don't always equal black metal. If anything, I'd call it sort of a post-screamo (i.e. early 90s screamo: Pg.99, City of Caterpillar, Funeral Diner, etc.). It has more in common with that stuff than it does with black metal.

This was my reaction as well. Though it definitely has its black metal elements, for the most part I think it owes its sound to 90s post-hardcore a la Texas Is The Reason or Braid more than it does to traditional black metal or shoegaze. I thought it was appropriate that they covered Mogwai's "Punk Rock/Cody" on their split with Bosse-De-Nage since they use so many of those pretty and very heavy descending progressions that Mogwai uses. They're a funny band, though, because the relentless shrieking will alienate non-black-metal fans while their very non-kvltishness will drive away the fanatically orthodox black metal fans.

On another note, Aosoth was awesome at MDF. Unfortunately it seems that was their only US date but definitely go see them if you get a chance.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

John Magnum posted:

Speaking of Mgla, can anyone recommend other albums that are similar to With Hearts Toward None? It's really drat good and I don't know a lot like it. I don't listen to that much black metal, so obvious recommendations would be appreciated.

Taake's Noregs Vaapen and Sargeist's Let The Devil In scratch the same itch for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pDd4QV2Mic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdl8AOmBw6Q

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
This might be splitting hairs, but he also isn't calling for or encouraging terrorism, rather acknowledging that terrorism as an act of expression is consonant with Watain's ideals. That might be its own kind of :/ but it's a distinction worth making.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

Come on dude, at least check the link (EDIT: Sorry if it sounds like I'm snapping at you. I'm not)

That passage was from the previous interview, but on re-reading the most recent one

quote:

MB: One of the things about which we got the most comments from was your mention of encouraging terrorism in the name of Watain. Do you still hold those views and, most importantly, what would be your reaction if fans actually started taking that seriously?
E: Well, I hope they do, because I don’t like to be taken as something not serious, because that would be a bit of a waste of time, to do things that are not serious.

doesn't look too good. As you point out, Europe is much harsher on hate speech and incitement to violence than we are in America, and these guys are probably in trouble legally if some idiot kills a bunch of people in the name of the great Watain ritual or whatever.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Les Discrets lately and I was wondering if there was a so called "blackgaze" band harder than that? I mean, it's all well and good, but I want something a little more Darkthrone and little less Joy Division. Any recommendations?

Edit: I hope this is the right thread to ask. :ohdear:

If you haven't been following the thread, there was a lot of discussion a while back about Sunbather by Deafheaven and Vesper by Entropia. I'd recommend both highly.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

nomapple posted:

More importantly though: new Inquisition samples:

http://youtu.be/tLZQZaVNi0g

http://e-shop.season-of-mist.com/en...double-lp/36063

GOAT LEATHER! Your move, Impaled Nazarene.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

A Serious Woman posted:

It's also kinda disappointing that the kickstarter to put their album on vinyl isn't doing so well. I'm not really hopeful anymore that it's going to happen.

I love this album but I didn't get the impression that the Kickstarter people were planning on giving it a vinyl master and were just going to ship the CD or audio files off to the pressing plant, in which case it would be a pretty lousy sounding record. I think this will end up on a lot of year-end lists and end up getting pressed by someone who knows what they're doing.

Gauss is great too, but hell, so is the whole record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wm18M9bbg8

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Looks like someone's not too happy with Blake Judd.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Bruce Boxliker posted:

So Blake Judd got out of jail, posted a wall of text on Facebook and released a new song today.

http://www.stereogum.com/1552521/nachtmystium-voyager-stereogum-premiere/mp3s/

I kind of like it, but I've always been pretty okay with Nachtmystium so I might have a higher tolerance than ya'll.

I think this is great, but I love Nachtmystium. It sounds like next year's full-length is going to be great and I'm interested to see what Blake does afterward if it ends up being the last Nachtmystium record. Maybe that Shining album with Thurston Moore will finally happen.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Behemoth released a video from their forthcoming album, due in February I believe. I wasn't that into their last couple of albums, but I liked this tune-- it's a bit slow at first but it builds and develops really nicely. And the video, well, poo poo gets real at about 2:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnTL1L8a6YI

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

This is great, thank you. I've never heard of these guys, and this is exactly the kind of black metal that I like.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Morbid Florist posted:

If you've got a list with prices, PM me. I could be interested in taking one

Echoing this sentiment. I'm sure there are a number of people here that would be interested.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

nomapple posted:

HOW does The Satanist have so many good, catchy songs on it? The album sounds vital, their live show at the moment feels vital, it's brilliant to see them on such good form. I don't think I've seen a big metal album get such deserved universal acclaim for a while.

Something I've noticed in interviews and public appearances is that Nergal seems really happy. It's the kiss of death for comedians and some songwriters, but his embrace of life after beating cancer really seems to have made his creative side come alive. There are a lot more overt "rock" influences evident as well which makes this probably the hookiest album they've ever done.

In possibly (un)related news, Nergal is a judge on Poland's The Voice. I don't know what's weirder: Nergal appearing on The Voice or the creators of The Voice (and, by extension, the Polish public at large) finding it totally normal for a black metal musician to be a voice judge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS-gJhhePDI

Nergal::Adam Levine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxbLoeajtC4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
If anyone's interested and can make it, Negura Bunget is playing in a bar the size of my living room in Baltimore on May 10.

https://www.facebook.com/events/691623807524666/