Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Hey, I'm pretty new to the black metal scene, so apologies if the answer is really obvious: Are there any black metal bands that have female vocalists, not clean singing, but actually doing BM shrieks? There's no doubt in my mind that it's physically possible, but I've never heard of any existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Neato, thanks for the responses.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Groke posted:

(And the "female death growl" brings to mind the legendary Thorr's Hammer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYWGiNLbmhs -- though by then we're pretty far from black metal).

Holy poo poo, thank you for showing me this. These people are awesome.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

What do you guys think of An Autumn for Crippled Children? They're this lo-fi, really melancholic black/doom metal sort of thing. They've only come out with one album, back in April. I think they're really cool.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

...doesn't look too good. Sorry.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Wish he was doing full-on SCHA-WING!s. As it is, it really is too understated to make an avatar out of it.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

deltawing posted:

http://www.myspace.com/antheliontw

new Anthelion track is up, if you haven't heard Bloodshed Rebefallen, you need to unfuck yourself.

Holy poo poo, Anthelion is amazing. Their vocalist just goes loving insane with the high-pitched "hreeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"s.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Aezith posted:

Also I've always liked how people find NSBM objectionable but songs about disembowelling Christians with a rusty knife are a-ok
I usually just try to ignore whatever racist viewpoints people put in music and try to appreciate the sound of the music itself. Unfortunately, this once ended with me getting a Pluton Svea song stuck in my head. :ughh: All day long, over and over again: friend of the family friend of the family friend of the family! DON'T STAY OUT TOO LATE! AS LONG AS THERE IS NIGGERS THERE IS HATE!

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Tony Jowns posted:

'War metal'? Seriously? What the gently caress does that even mean?

Normally I'd complain about how you shouldn't make a forum post bitching about a genre you don't recognize (I've seen way too many "lol hurr hurr what da gently caress is speedcore" posts to forgive the apparent inability to Google something), but I totally don't recognize "war metal" and Google gives no help. Count me in with the "what the gently caress is war metal?" crowd.

edit: Is it like Turisas? They self-identify as "battle metal".

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I'm all for ridiculously specific categorizing, but that's kind of stupid. What are the thrash elements? Thrash is defined by its contrasts to normal heavy metal, adding it onto things like death metal is a weird step in a totally different direction.

Wait why is it even called "war metal", shouldn't it be called "blackened thrash/death metal" or something :psyduck:

GENERALLY EXTREMELY RAW! RAAAAAAGGH!

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

m-o-o-n posted:

Don't forget this gem from Watain

Hahaha. Were they actually joking, or being serious?

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Like I said, I'm all for stupidly specific sub-sub-sub-genres, but "war metal" just doesn't make sense to me. On the rare occasions I can find references to it, they're always contradictory to the other definitions.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

IRQ posted:

Of course maybe I just haven't listened to enough NSBM to find a song with this effect:

To be honest, I haven't either. Pluton Svea is a rock band and the only thing that makes them hard to understand is the singer's accent. I swear it's the melody that's catchy, not the lyrics. :cry:

alpiger posted:

"bands that sound like Blasphemy."

How would you describe the genre to a person who hasn't heard Blasphemy?

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I wish I could change my name to "Deathlord of Abomination and War Apocalypse".

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Just as power metal bands can get away with writing sorrowful songs, black metal bands can get away with writing non-grim and frostbitten songs.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I loving love this song and Sad's version of it is just as amazing. Thank you so much for linking this!

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Anyone else heard of SAD? Ignoring the silly name, they're a really kickass BM band from Greece. Their vocalist is fantastic and they have some really catchy and emotional riffs.

SAD - Let Snow Cover the Earth.

They even did a cover of a Radiohead song and managed to make it black/grim as gently caress:

SAD - Street Spirit

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Can you guys recommend me a black metal band that uses industrial themes, but isn't classified as "industrial black metal"? No synths, symphonic parts, or overproduction or anything, but just raw lo-fi black metal that happens to be about rusting factories instead of grim forests. Ambient atmospheric bits with metallic/industrial sounds would be really cool too.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Sad Mammal posted:

The Axis of Perdition perhaps?

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Not sure if it's really what you after, but have you ever tried listening to IXXI?

These are exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I finally went and picked up Anaal Nathrakh's In the Constellation of the Black Widow. Goddamn they are so great. I wish that they were more willing to extend some songs though - there's one riff on "So Be It" that I think would really benefit from them letting it go for more than a few seconds before switching to another part of the song.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Plasma1010 posted:

I'm not even sure how it is defined other then people's personal blogs.

The only definition I can come up with is that it's like any other black metal, but much more prone to clean guitar bits, and the vocals sound like the singer is close to tears.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Can someone help me find a BM band that was, I'm pretty sure, posted in this thread a while back? I remember they were Canadian and focused on wolf-related themes. I specifically recall a music video with the band members wearing wolf pelts, with someone in the comments bitching them out for supporting wolf murder, followed by an explanation from the band that they borrowed the skins from a museum.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

ElectricWizard posted:

Wolven Ancestry?

You are a god. Thank you!

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Could I get some reccommendations for really melodic, energetic black metal with fast riffs, something akin to the opening to Gorgoroth's Satan-Prometheus or pretty much most of Windir's Svartesmeden og Lundamyrstrollet? I know that's pretty open-ended.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Hey you! Check out Botanist. Botany-themed black metal that uses a hammered dulcimer instead of guitars and bass. Really weird staggering drumming. You'd think it would be gimmicky, but it's actually really good - very black metal, yet without actually being full metal.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

It's that weird black metal serious where he's aware of how silly it sounds and doesn't really care. BM is one of the few genres where I've seen a significant number of bands like that, and I think it's probably the healthiest attitude one can take towards your work; possessing the self-assuredness to have a completely silly sense of aesthetics and rolling with it without resorting to self-parody.

That's why I don't have a lot of respect for parody black metal. It's like, why parody something that parodies itself, and without the genuine passion and talent of the original?

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Objurium posted:

So Austin Lunn of Panopticon has created coal-miner folk influenced black metal. It's a little clusterfucky, but it's neat to see elements of Americana seeping into extreme music. I like it.

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured/streaming-track-from-panopticons-kentucky/

This is actually really great. I love the flute's melody.

It reminds of an idea I had long ago about basically the same thing as this, except it would be about Dust Bowl-era farmers and migrant works, unfertile fields, and dying livestock, storms slowly draining all hope from the beaten-down laborers and leaving only bleak despair in their dessicated wake. It would be called "Great Depressive black metal".

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Anaal Nathrakh just put out the teaser for their new album, Vanitas, and predictably enough, it sounds killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VNbiU784j8

Dave Hunt has said that he's been adding in a new style of vocals each album, and it sounds like Vanitas's is quasi-Gregorian chants. gently caress yeah.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Weaponized Cum posted:

Nobody cares about your opinions or your lovely avatar. Stop posting.

You sure seemed to care about his avatar when you put it in your post. Calm down.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

RHTITE posted:

S-S-Someone's disturbing the sanctity of metal by adding instruments that aren't kvlt OR trve! I decide how musicians make their music, not them!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I once sneezed up a bunch of blood while listening to Wormphlegm. I was so surprised I flailed my hand around and ended up flicking blood all over me, adding to the stream flowing out of my nose.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Anaal Nathrakh are loving champions and I wish there was more Nathrakhchat going on. Their whatever genre is amazing; there needs to be more bands that do the whole poppy song arrangement with clean choruses and crazy noisy verses.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

5er posted:

Somehow I thought a recent reply in this thread was responsible for getting me to pull up a few Brujeria songs on youtube. Maybe related links or something. It was a trip google-translating some of the lyrics, these guys don't hold back explaining how they feel.

Oh yeah, Brujeria. The guys who did this.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

:wtc:

Why not just do one interlude? Do they want more last.fm plays or something?

The titles are pretty neat. Does it matter?

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I just found out about Leper, who play a pretty idiosyncratic mix of black metal, grindcore, and ska. (At least, I haven't heard anyone else doing the same thing.) They kick loving rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csQlMsB-JqE

I've only heard the album "End Progress" so far because I haven't heard good things about their older work.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Was just listening to Kentucky. It loving rocks.