Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Fans of Agalloch/WITTR/Nechochwen/Petrychor

Let's be best friends since you know Petrychor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Are there any A Forest of Stars fans on here? Here's a new song with a video!

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

nomapple posted:

Me too! That album was one of my favourites of 2011, it was so good.

Any 2012 black metal worth checking out aside from Panopticon, Mgla, The Great Old Ones, Wildernessking, Adustum, Lunar Aurora, Deathspell Omega and Sutekh Hexen? I feel like this year has been a bit thin on the ground for black metal releases so far... Anything in the vein of the Taake/Craft releases from last year would be very welcome.

(I have ignored black/death releases such as Impiety and Wrathprayer for this as they sound so different and I just want some more icy BM in my life)

I have a couple.

Mare Cognitum - An Extraconscious Lucidity
Obolus - Lament
Yayla - Sathimasal

And, of course, there's the new Agalloch EP if you're into that!

EDIT:

There's one single by a band called Black Monolith that isn't too bad. Haven't bothered to check if/when they have an actual album coming out.

Also, if you can find it, there's the Altar of Plagues/Year of No Light split; the former might fit into some nice BM for you (the latter should be some ethereal post/sludge stuff).

And then, of course, there's the new A Forest of Stars video I already posted in this thread, a song from their upcoming release later this year. Not sure if it counts as icy enough, but I imagine it's something that would be liked by people who like the sort of black metal we do.

And, if you're looking into the future, there's the looming monster coming right for us that is Darkspace IV.

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 11, 2012

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Weaponized Cum posted:

Wrath of the Weak put up all of their stuff for free on Bandcamp.

http://wrathoftheweak.bandcamp.com/

Nice! Thanks for the tip.

Just out of curiosity, what are peoples' favorite black metal albums of the year? Here's some of mine:

A Forest of Stars - "A Shadowplay for Yesterdays"
Azoic - "Gateways"
Dark Forest - "Land of the Evening Star"
The Great Old Ones - "Al Azif"
Winterfylleth - "The Threnody of Triumph"

I would also like to give a shoutout to Krallice - "Years Past Matter". It's a very solid album, and would usually be competitive in most other years for AOTY in my opinion. However, this was a ridiculous year for black metal! I would also like to mention Hellvetron's and Wrathprayer's albums, but I'm not sure if I could count them as outright black metal, since they're more black/death. Similar is Ne Obliviscaris - "Portal of I", which is just one of the most amazing works of music I have ever heard. Another honorable mention goes to Cloak of Altering - "Ancient Paths Through Timeless Voids", which probably could be top 5, but I need to give it more listens as it just came out not too long ago.

EDIT: Forgot MGLA "With Hearts Toward None", which is just ridiculous.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Hulk Krogan posted:

I'll second Winterfylleth and Great Old Ones - really digging both of those. Ne Obliviscaris was amazing as well but you're right, it's more prog than black metal. The new Krallice seems pretty good but I haven't had a chance to give it a proper listen yet.

Kentucky by Panopticon is one of the better albums I've heard in a while, of any subgenre. I thought Becoming (Abigail Williams) was incredible but I'll probably get laughed out of the thread for that one.

I liked "Kentucky" and "Becoming" a lot as well, but they need more listens, especially the latter one.

skasion posted:

Actually I'm kind of having a hard time thinking of straight-up black metal full-lengths this year that I really liked. There were a lot of good demos/EPs (Wylve, The Rain in Endless Fall x2, Axis of Light, Thenn, Ash Pool, Din of Awakening, Rhinocervs) but the only full albums I've really been replaying are Ash Borer and Revenge. I guess I also liked Spectral Lore - Sentinel but that huuuuuge outro always turns me off listening to it again unfortunately.

vvv yeah. Really glad that got a rerelease, just because of the tracks off the split with Tukaaria. The Scavenger goddamn

I love TRiEF and Rhinocervs! Just found out about Tukaaria very recently though, but I like what I'm hearing. I also liked Agalloch's "Faustian Echoes" a lot (I find it to be way more blackened than any of their previous releases, so I think I can say that hered!). There was one song released by a band called Black Monolith that I liked, but all they have is that one song and a very short demo from 2011. Cursed Altar, Hellebore, K.L.L.K., and Pravus Abyssus also had very good demos.

There's also several more albums that I need to listen to more that I think were really good; namely, albums by Wilt, White Oak, Vattnet Viskar, Oak Pantheon, Maglor, Dordeduh, and Dead Hills.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

BANDCAMP FINDS!

Verwustung - Experimental/Atmospheric Black/Ambient Post-Rock... really depends on the song. On his facebook (yep, another one-man project), he mentions his album being released in a week is going to sound like early Swans mixed with atmospheric black metal.

When Woods Make Graves - Kinda like above, only it's more straight up dark ambient and atmospheric black metal.

Vemod - Yep, you guessed it, more atmospheric black metal.

Augure Funebre - French DSBM (wow, not quite atmospheric!). I actually need to listen to this band more, but I'm very much liking what I hear so far.

EDIT PART 1:

Skilleddk posted:

I'm not much into black metal, but I really love Deafheaven and most of Agalloch's stuff. Can anyone recommend some more bands in that direction?

Alda
Aloeswood
The Great Old Ones (pre-production cus it's all youtube has!)
Lantlos
Mare Cognitum
Mgla
Midnight Odyssey
Nontinuum
Oak Pantheon
Petrychor
The Rain in Endless Fall
Vattnet Viskar
Velvet Cacoon's "Genevieve" album
Walknut
White Oak
Wilt

EDIT PART 2:

Looks like someone beat me to Vemod not too long ago!

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 26, 2012

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Wow, 2013 already has an insane start in terms of black metal.

Already released/leaked/otherwise listenable by the general public

Verwustung - Tunnel Ghosts (Very ambient black metal one-man project from Cali)
Fen - Dustwalker (Great album, perhaps even better than Epoch)
Situs Magus - Le Grand Oeuvre (some awesome stuff here that I didn't know about until a few days ago.
Cultes des Ghoules - Henbane (Not officially released for a while, but on youtube already, and it kills).

And, due to my habit of randomly losing track of things easily, the next album caught me completely by surprise, something I wasn't expecting at all.

FANISK - INSULARUM (FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK)

On top of that, Paysage d'Hiver's "Das Tor" is finally set for release at the end of this month.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

DAS TOR IS ON YOUTUBE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeWQrrCN8jU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcimCb52O9w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEROH_gMDSk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yedm2sSudD8

I am currently about 7 minutes into the 2nd track (30 minutes overall into the album), and I think this is the most intense stuff I've heard from the PDH side of Wintherr.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Hidden Mother posted:

Das Tor is absolutely fantastic. I really wasn't expecting a huge amount from this release for whatever reason (I'm a little hit-and-miss on PDH as a whole) but I'd rank this up there with Wintherr's best.

I'd say it's between Das Tor, Darkspace III, and the s/t PDH demo, and I'm really leaning towards Das Tor. Great album.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Fanisk.
Verwustung
Situs Magus

nomapple posted:

Oh man, I should've listened to some older Ihsahn sooner! Any stuff I might've missed yet from this year? So far the only stuff I'm particularly aware of is:
Paysage D'Hiver
Cultes Des Ghoules
Sacriphyx
Rotting Christ.

If I've missed anything of note, please let me know.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

My 2013 AOTY (in case anyone is curious):
Wędrujący Wiatr - Tam, Gdzie Miesiąc Opłakuje Świt

Honorable mentions: Fanisk, Paysage d'Hiver, Battle Dagorath, Galaktik Cancer Squad, Vattnet Viskar, the most recent When Woods Make Graves release, and a few others.

I'll edit this post with some demos/EPs to recommend to whoever asked when I'm done with PYX.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

My favorite black metal release of 2014 so far (though I have the sneaking suspicion Tekeli-Li might dethrone it):

Aastraal - Tuba Mirum Spargens Sonum Per Sepulcra Regionum, Coget Omnes Ante Thronum (note: yes, you can buy their album for 666 Euro... aka they aren't really selling because they're looking for a label). Avant-garde black metal with chamber chanting.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

skasion posted:

Is this a Mories de Jong thing? Sounds a lot like Cloak of Altering.

When I played this in a room on plug.dj, I got asked the same thing by someone there. Honestly, I do not know. I don't think this information is even available.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Brand new A Forest of Stars song and video (album of the year contender, perhaps?): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqjNshDXyU4

Also seconding whoever recommended Earth and Pillars.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

A Forest of Stars "Beware the Sword You Cannot See" released today and is streaming in its entirety on bandcamp. HERE WE loving GO

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

As proof as to how far behind I fell on my black metal last year, I literally only just found out about Petrychor's Makrokosmos about 5 minutes ago. Listening to it now.

Will give the new Midnight Odyssey song a listen after I take care of listening to Petrychor.

E: New Petrychor is way more posty ambient than black metal, but still pretty good.

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 17, 2015

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Potential BFF posted:

There's one song from the album out, been up for a while. I posted it a while back but here it is again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ev8ntn2lM

I like it, hits all the Midnight Odyssey bases. Space, death, death in space.

Make that two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXfqZx9jCko

:eyepop:

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Omi-Polari posted:

Not a :black101: listener regularly (was years ago) but Midnight Odyssey has gotten me into the ABM stuff, and I'm following the YouTube channel (y'all know the one) that posts ... everything.

Right now I've got on rotation: Midnight Odyssey, The Crevices Below, Agalloch, Blut Aus Nord, Caladan Brood, Drudkh, Mare Cognitum, Progenie Terrestre Pura and Summoning.

Recommendations welcome. I like death, space, death in space, Enya, and music-to-play-Morrowind-to.

Edit: Thanks!

Ooh, lots of atmoblack type stuff. My specialty!

Weakling, Wedrujacy Wiatr, Ruins of Beverast, Alda, Wolves in the Throne Room, Battle Dagorath, Carcharoth λ.v, Abigail Williams (mostly the "Becoming" album), Crown of Asteria's "Cycles" EP, Earth and Pillars, Evilfeast, either band named Ered Wethrin, Ephemer, Fell Voices, Fog, Galaktik Cancer Squad, The Great Old Ones, Hellebore, Hermodr, Imperium Dekadenz, Kroda, Krallice, Khors, Alcest, Fen, Lluvia, MGLA, Moon, Panopticon, Petrychor, Surachai, Skyforest, Vattnet Viskar, Verwustung, Vordven, Walknut, Wodensthrone,

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Omi-Polari posted:

Not a :black101: listener regularly (was years ago) but Midnight Odyssey has gotten me into the ABM stuff, and I'm following the YouTube channel (y'all know the one) that posts ... everything.

Right now I've got on rotation: Midnight Odyssey, The Crevices Below, Agalloch, Blut Aus Nord, Caladan Brood, Drudkh, Mare Cognitum, Progenie Terrestre Pura and Summoning.

Recommendations welcome. I like death, space, death in space, Enya, and music-to-play-Morrowind-to.

Edit: Thanks!

Also do you follow BlackMetalUpdates and Lightfox117?

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Unacknowledged posted:

There's not enough Walknut in the world.

Indeed.

E: Though bands like When Woods Make Graves work in a pinch when you've run out of Walknut

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 7, 2015

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Massive depression this year has made me fall behind on new releases (also why I haven't posted here in forever), so there are plenty I still need to listen to. As of right now, my favorites include:

A Forest of Stars - Beware the Sword You Cannot See - Oh man do I love bat poo poo insane black metals.

Dodheimsgard - A Umbra Omega - See above comment.

Il'ithil - Ia'Winde - Probably my favorite atmospheric release this year. Then again, there was Midnight Odyssey - Shards of Silver Fade, if you wanna lump atmospheric and ambient together, because those two styles tend to overlap anyways. Also gotta give props to Wiegedood - De Doden Heben Het Goed and the chameleon band Abigail Williams - The Accuser.

And, predictably, my list includes Mgla - Exercises in Futility.

E: This album would probably be on the list too if I found all of it.

Robophile posted:

I didn't really get into black metal much before this year, so I'm still not totally up to speed, but Mgła was definitely my #1 out of what I heard. I also enjoyed Panopticon & Leviathan (to a lesser extent).

One other thing I stumbled on that I really dug which I haven't seen mentioned as much was Frozen Obscene Deliverance by Brulvahnatu. I don't have any great points of comparison for it, it's just a pretty ambitious and chaotic one man project.

https://brulvahnatu.bandcamp.com

Edit: I knew I was going to gently caress up that link.

poo poo I remember finding Misshapen White Hand a couple years ago. Chaos is right.

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 14, 2015

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

I just noticed a Liturgy mention on this page. I me,an, I know that they're pretty much ragged on all the time and their singer is a bit of a... something... and, heck, I dropped listening to them as soon as I found Krallice, but had I never heard someone spin their "Returner" back on turntable.fm (RIP), I probably would have never gotten into black metal at all.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Start off the new year in an awesome way with a brand new Krallice EP!

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Wow, going to BAKERSFIELD but not Fresno? gently caress this town.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Robophile posted:

Here's a cool one man BM project I found on Bandcamp the other day and enjoyed quite a bit. It's nothing incredibly ambitious, but it all feels solid and well put together, and the recording quality's good for a one man outfit.

Ecferus - Pangaea

Ooh this is quite nice, yes.

This from the label that also signed another solo atmoblack project called Mare Cognitum

E: And speaking of them, this release is also coming up, and it's all :psyduck: . Has a bit of a rawer DSO vibe.

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jan 22, 2016

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Savage af but true

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

So I found Skygge the other day, and they're pretty cool.

Also this new Depressive BM band called Trubsal

Also this album is pretty cool too.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

apophenium posted:

Can anyone recommend something that strikes a middleground between Darkspace and stuff like Mesarthim and Violet Cold? I love the raw and oppressive sound of Darkspace but I also like the more uplifting chord progressions the latter bands bring to the table. Spectral Lore is probably the closest band I think has this kind of sound.

A Mother Engulfed in 3 Characters
Battle Dagorath

abske_fides posted:

I thought that was hilarious.

Been diving back into some Deathspell Omega recently, they really have some sweet stuff although a lot of people seem to hate them nowadays. When Si Monumentum came out, there was not a single dissident about them as far as I remember. Haven't payed attention to BM since back then, any good DsO-like bands?

Situs Magus

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

apophenium posted:

Enjoying the new Mesarthim album. Music to coast through the void of space to.

I hadn't been in this thread in a while, and was specifically going to post about this band. :swoon:

Have Downfall of Nur and Nağra been talked about in this thread yet? I may have posted about them before, but I don't remember and I'm too lazy to look back. In any case, I recommend both those bands.

Nağra, Mare Cognitum, and Mesarthim probably have my top 3 AOTY right now (though god drat this new Alcest sounds so good, thanks for telling me it exists OH MY GOD NEIGE SCREAMING YES YES)

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

New Wedujacy Wiatr, whose debut album is one of my all time faves, is coming at the end of this month.

And then DSO is like a week later? gently caress.

E: Also there's a Tribute to Summoning coming out

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 7, 2016

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

All right, so, the new Battle Dagorath is drat good

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

First new Wedrujacy Wiatr (aka band i will never shut up about) song is now on Youtube.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Apparently an EP was released last month by a band that is Leviathan and Wormlust and Chaos Moon and the vocalist from Aosoth, the bassist from Nağra, and the (Current) drummer of Blut aus Nord. It's god drat crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJf9jbM--pU

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Rexxed posted:

I also like them. Here's the new album:
Wędrujący Wiatr - O Turniach, Jeziorach I Nocnych Szlakach (Full Album)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvIrsh3uCZc

Another amazing release, strong contender for my AOTY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone reccomend some black metal thats about history and/or spirituality (that's NOT Satanic/Blasphemous/Nordic)? Stuff like Obsequiae and Batushka

I've probably brought up Downfall of Nur before, but it fits.

ETA: check out bands from the Black Twilight Circle.

in other news, i recently discovered Tardigrada, which is pretty drat good spacey black metal (though at a higher tempo than Midnight Odyssey)

Then again, I managed to not find the new Oranssi Pazuzu until last week, so saying 'recently discovered' might not say much.

Also, Pink Floyd are pretty good, especially before The Wall. listen to stuff not on radio.

edit again: new Ash Borer is here, and new Krallice in a couple days, if you're into that. (gonna listen to ash borer tomorrow morning)

Blue Wher fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 20, 2016