Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Maybe not what you're looking for, but Inquisition's vocals are certainly...different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

Anyone know of some good Russian language death metal? Found Scartown recently and I need more. Doesn't have to be melodic either.
Not death metal, but since you're asking for DM in the black metal thread I'm gonna ignore genre specifics and recommend Аспид (Aspid). They only have one album, Кровоизлияние (Extravasation), but it's one of the best thrash albums ever.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I'm late on this but the I'm listening to the new Inquisition and it's the bomb. If it keeps up the quality of the first two tracks throughout it will be by far my favorite Inquisition album and a definite top 10 of the year.

This has like all of the riffs of the year, goddamn.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 27, 2013

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I'm listening to the new Hail Spirit Noir album having never heard of them until five minutes ago and it's bananas.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I know it's 16 years old but why did nobody tell me how great Diabolical Masquerade was? I've been checking out Dan Swano projects lately because I love Edge of Sanity and Nightwork is flooring me right now.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I relly liked Hail Spirit Noi - Oi Magoi, but it's arguably not a black metal record.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dagon posted something on their Facebook page today about it.

quote:

Dagon here. Apologies to all Canadian supporters. This time the Canadian officer was extremely strict and was definitely loving his job. I thank all Canadian diehards who gave us their immense support in front of the stage and at our merchandise booth; again thank you and hails. It may be awhile to get this sorted out but sooner or later I will have advice from a legal advisor.

As for this other news floating around, a statement was written on my behalf tonight. Read it thoroughly when it comes out and remember to not be emotional about anything related... this is obscure and strong music with passion. No weak hearted nothing and remember... I have half latin roots so use common sense.

Hail the universe.
Dagon

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I'm really digging Nokturnal Mortum's Voice of Steel right now (no, this is not meant to open an NSBM can of worms). Normally I don't enjoy folk elements in my metal, but the use of violin and such is very effective on this album. Any recommendations for something similar?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Thanks to whoever recommended me Peste Noire. La Sanie des siecles is a solid album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

tbh the only release I've listened to this year that could conceivably be called black metal is Hail Spirit Noir - Oi Magoi. I can't find Death anywhere for some reason (maybe because I don't use torrents for my downloading).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I don't remember if they were recommended to me here or elsewhere, but the Canadian band Noire is really solid. So thanks if it was a goon that told me to check them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

He's one of the best drummers, period, but I can imagine his character being laughable if you aren't prepared for the cheese.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Some obvious ones:

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky
Satyricon - Nemesis Devina

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Metal Sonichu posted:

I know who Mayhem is, never heard of Revenge(?), and who's the third band?

Watain

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Germ Incubator posted:

I finally got round to buying Peter Beste's True Norwegian Black Metal book, it's definitely worth it and bigger than I expected! So many great photos worthy of framing.

Also contains this great letter by Euronymous otherwise known as 'How to look like the biggest tryhard in the universe'

I'm reading Black Metal: Evolution of the Cult right now and I think "biggest tryhard in the universe" applies to almost every major player in the scene.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I know it's barely relevant to black metal anymore but Enslaved have a new album coming in March.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Danny LaFever posted:

Antediluvian - Pretty good. I guess my only nitpick was their production is good. I guess I have a soft spot for lovely production.
Man, I can't even make out any individual riffs from Antediluvian.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sophian posted:

Deafheaven is really good and they absolutely slew the crowd when I saw them live in Dallas, lead singer had this whole "evil orchestra conductor" persona going on and the crowd ate that poo poo up. But I will never, for the life of me, understand why their newest album is touted as "black metal". It's metalgaze with blackened vocals, that's it.

Because music critics that give the time of day to 1-3 metal albums per year don't know their subgenres.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

New Melechesh is streaming.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

They're making a Lords of Chaos movie with the other other Culkin and Caleb Landry Jones, whoever that is. It will probably suck. Bonus angry Necrobutcher quote at the end. Why do first wave black metal dudes hate Swedes so much?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Oh poo poo with Rotting Christ (who I feel are bigger than Watain but I could be wrong)? Motherfuckers might make me drive out to Palatine.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

Mgla put all their music up on bandcamp for free: http://no-solace.bandcamp.com/

All of those say 7 euros or more.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gamma Nerd posted:

Who in their right mind would throw up the horns at a Deafheaven show though?

People throw up the horns at the loving Backstreet Boys, dude.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

COOL CORN posted:

this is the only good thing to come out of the AV undercover series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baExq6xNhQ8

AV Undercover owns, actually, but that is the best one.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

NPR streams metal albums regularly, you guys.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, I see what you mean.

I'm glad they're getting more popular because my main thought while seeing them was that they need to eat more.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I'd be mad about no Chicago date but they're playing Metal Threat Fest with Inquisition among others in July. Would rather see them at a standard show though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Just dropping in to say that Nadra - Allir vegir til glotunar is really good. Icelandic band with members of Misthyrming.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Even Varg can't resist April Fools Day
http://m.noisey.vice.com/blog/varg-...urce=noiseyfbus

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

abske_fides posted:

I thought that was hilarious.

Been diving back into some Deathspell Omega recently, they really have some sweet stuff although a lot of people seem to hate them nowadays. When Si Monumentum came out, there was not a single dissident about them as far as I remember. Haven't payed attention to BM since back then, any good DsO-like bands?

Their countrymen Plebeian Grandstand, mentioned a few posts up, are like DsO with mathcore elements.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jew's harps don't actually have anything to do with Jews.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

Hay guys

I've not listened to any new metal for about ten years. I think the last album I bought was Those Once Loyal by Bolt Thrower. So it's been loving ages, anyway!

Would any of you be so good to recommend me a handful of the best metal albums of the last decade (I'm sure there's a lot to choose from).

My metal tastes are pretty all-encompassing, but I don't really like power metal, or operatic symphonic stuff or any of the fruitier prog metal - I can only just stomach Dream Theater, and even then with a sense of shame.

Sincere appreciation in advance for any assistance you all can give!

p.s. currently listening to 'Back to Times of Splendour' by Disillusion, and I've loved that record since it came out - although I heard they went kind of lovely after that, which is a shame...

You should ask the general metal thread. This one is for black metal specifically.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheIllestVillain posted:

I'm digging the new Inquisition album, is their older work worth a go? I tried listening to one of their more recent albums a few years ago but the ridiculous frog vocals made it difficult to really get into.

They're maybe my favorite BM band ever, and they're very consistent. Also what crosby said.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Couple Encounters Black Metal Band in Woods During Engagement Shoot

Not the Onion, nor the Hard Times.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Oldstench posted:

New Cultes des Ghoules in Nov.
https://cultesdesghoules.bandcamp.c...instead-of-love

e. No idea why I wrote Feb. originally.

I literally just listened to Henbane for the first time and am now pretty stoked.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

How are Mayhem live these days? I've had my eye on the upcoming DMDS tour with Inquisition and I just scored two free tickets!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

A human heart posted:

I'm not going to listen to those dads warble about how being rich is so difficult

So listen to things that aren't The Wall.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Primordial have one pretty good song that they've done over and over again for like 8 albums. They seem really fun live though.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Happy Hedonist posted:

Where are people listening to the new Cultes Des Ghoules? I have it pre-ordered but am only able to download the prologue.

You can listen to it on Bandcamp. It's also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Detective Thompson posted:

The Bandcamp page says it doesn't release until February 17. I don't know why, since the album is out, but I assume that's why the whole thing isn't available on Bandcamp. Although it appears to be for some people, so maybe somehow it's a regional thing? It is on Youtube.

The physical release date is February 17.