Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
So I am catching up on a lot of albums I've had sitting around and I finally got to Avsky - Scorn. Really good album. Check it out if any of you are into the Swedish orthodox sound.

Avsky - As the Mountains Collapse

Also got around to Antediluvian. Don't know if that counts for this thread though, mostly death metal I suppose but sufficiently blackened. Kind of like if you combined Portal with Incantation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Friends Are Evil posted:

New Altar of Plagues leaked. It really sounds like Deathspell Omega, Streetcleaner-era Godflesh, and Merzbow made an album together.

Heard that God Alone track, thought it was awful. I guess the rest is better?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

nomapple posted:

God Alone is pretty representative of what the rest of the album sounds like, but it is definitely one of the weaker tracks. I loved God Alone but I would say that yes, the rest of the album is better.

I guess I'll try and give it a listen. God Alone overall I just found awful and boring until about 2:45 when it finally actually caught my interest. But too little too late as they say.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Killsion posted:

I guess I'll try and give it a listen. God Alone overall I just found awful and boring until about 2:45 when it finally actually caught my interest. But too little too late as they say.

I take back my poo poo. The album definitely suffers from going CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG and DUN DUN DUN DUN (like almost all of God Alone) but when it isn't doing that, it is definitely quite a nice record. This requires more listens.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Chiming in on the Sunbather bandwagon. Easily in my AOTY list.

What did everyone think of the new Aosoth btw? I thought it was quite good but needs more listens.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Dimebags Brain posted:

gently caress Deafheaven, there's new Panopticon.
http://thetruepanopticon.bandcamp.com/releases

I just realized there is a loving Suicide Nation cover on this, haha.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

WASDF posted:

Who cares what Deafheaven looks like? What they look like have nothing to do with their music. If you don't like their music, that's cool, but if you're letting their appearance color your opinion you should probably reassess your values of judging art.

No you see, the pink album cover is an insult to trve black metal! :goonsay:

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I was having a chat on Twitter about Deafheaven, and mentioned how short-changed I'd felt when I'd paid £11 (or so) to see them, and they only played a 30-minute set. The lead singer jumped in and apologised and I felt bad for moaning, even though it was justified. My Deafheaven story y'all.

Sets tend to get cut short for various reasons, so while it sucks, it usually isn't the bands fault but good on him for apologizing and communicating.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

RHTITE posted:

It's not a matter of trying to keep out other influences (which has never happened, even in the truest, cultest, blackest, murderingest scene of Black Metal), it's an attempt to keep stupid bullshit out of this great music. Shoegaze is stupid bullshit. It also has nothing to do Black Metal, unless you include straight aesthetics of delivery in what music is.

You just completely contradicted yourself. You say outside influences are perfectly fine... except ones you dislike.

You consider shoegaze to be stupid bullshit. I and many others strongly disagree. Shoegaze does have musical similarities to black metal, though utterly unintentional, and they do compliment each other quite well for the seasoned listener.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Morbid Florist posted:

I agree with him 100%. Shoegaze in black metal to me is the worst thing to ever happen to the genre. Black metal is supposed to be hateful, fast. Shoegaze is...not.

You're also trying to preach open-mindedness to a style of music that embodies closed-mindedness. It's probably the most rigidly defined metal genre there is, and for good reason.

gently caress shoegaze and black metal :colbert:

So black metal can only be paired up with... what? What genres have your personal permission to touch the sacred cow of black metal? Nothing? This is creative death.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Gamma Nerd posted:

I'm fine with you wanting to stick with the older, ferocious style, I understand the appeal, but please don't attempt to claim objectivity and say that all black metal/shoegaze is poo poo. Being the arbiter of taste like this is really arrogant. (That verdunkeln album looks real cool by the way, I'll check it out) Again I think you're being selective with what influences you want and don't want, but that's ok! As you said with Einblick..., there's some stuff that is unconventional but still good. Can you maybe conscience that in my opinion, blackgaze is one of those things? I still like stuff like Mgla, Blut aus Nord, Nehemah, etc, but atmospheric black and blackgaze scratch a different itch.

Agreed on all counts. I too love Mgla, Blut Aus Nord and the like but I'll still regularly listen to so-called blackgaze records. Also apparently Neige is the one doing the spoken-word part on Please Remember from Sunbather so that is probably just another x mark for purists.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2pz7v4V-Qk

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Stravinsky posted:

Can we all just agree that Alcest is really boring?

Nope. Souvenirs is a fantastic record, and while the other two records aren't as good, they are still entirely solid efforts. I try to play Souvenirs a lot around Spring as it really fits the weather well, but it has been pretty miserable lately for weather.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

RHTITE posted:

Shoegaze has pretty much no musical similarites to Black Metal. It has aesthetic similarities. Also, you called yourself a "seasoned listener". I'll take my risking looking like an rear end in a top hat for being "closed minded" and "elitist" (quality over quantity/bullshit) over your weepy ego drama every day of the week and twice on sunday.

They can absolutely have musical similarities. Both genres often use a great deal of reverb, as well as a focus on tremelo picked chords. The airy and ethereal vocals are similar as well to certain forms of black metal, not by the specific sound, but certainly in their usage. Notice though I said these are unintentional similarities. Obviously both of these genres had no direct influence on the other, but they use the same methods in their music, just differently.

Why you are proud of being closed minded is beyond me however. There are genres besides metal. It is alright to listen to them. Some of your favorite bands probably even listen to techno.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Zodijackylite posted:

Despite whatever similarities you note between shoegaze and black metal, a true black metaller like Akhenaten never gazes at his shoes combat boots no matter how sad he looks in every picture ever.

Who-gaze? No, I gaze only into the depths of your avatar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=briNdRvPydE

Just listen to that guitar and drumming, this is just punk, not metal. :goonsay:

Man, I haven't listened to Judas Iscariot since high school. Solid band though.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
In other news, new Christicide isn't as good as their first LP, but it'll still scratch your orthodox itch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnuOIgr0Yko

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Morbid Florist posted:

Windir is a perfect example of a band bringing in another "influence" that, while a touch lame, doesn't cross a line. Electronica and black metal is a thin line to walk but I think they kept the questionable elements minimal enough that they still loving rule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiYxiK5m-KY

If someone thinks it sucks and I suck and my taste sucks, good for them. I'll tell them they suck and their taste sucks and we all have some fun. I'm not going to call them an "unseasoned listener" because there's no such thing.

Reminds me of the first time I heard this while looking into Windir a long time ago. Still owns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPFRRYHUgi0

My seasoned listener comment is more an indication of being able to appreciate multiple forms of music. You not only hate "blackgaze", you also outright hate shoegaze, and probably dream-pop along with it. There is a lot of good stuff in there you're missing out on for reasons simply unknown to me.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Weaponized Cum posted:

Listen to Countess and shut up.

Never saw the appeal. Like some weird cross of kvlt kiddie stuff and traditional metal. Rather listen to Clandestine Blaze or something, and that says a lot.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

nomapple posted:

I'm enjoying the increased activity in the thread, even if it is a lame argument over whether "blackgaze" is good or not. (I loving hate that term, but I like a lot of the music associated with it, like I said, Deafheaven converted me with Sunbather.

Just out of interest, those who don't like Deafheaven/bands that sound like that, where do you draw the line? Do you guys enjoy WITTR/bands that sound like that? Although WITTR are a lot more "black metal" than Deafheaven, they aren't exactly worlds apart. I'm just curious as to whether you only like the more orthodox stuff, or whether you just don't like the least orthodox stuff out there. Has there been any good orthodox stuff yet this year? Horna was OK, Sad did nothing for me :(

I dislike the term "blackgaze" myself, thus why I usually leave it in quotations.

As for orthodox, when I think orthodox black metal I think your theistic Satanist, anti-cosmic chaos Gnosticism stuff etc. Deathspell Omega, Katharsis, Dodsengel, Fides Inversa, that stuff, of which I absolutely love and I highly recommend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtLcX8Oc9EQ

I don't particularly listen to stuff like Horna too much anymore unfortunately. I think there is a new Clandestine Blaze album though, may catch your fancy.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Deathspell Omega is really unconventional, though.

Shhh, someone may come in screaming something about how they just ripped off Kvist. You are right though, but many of these bands adopted what Deathspell Omega did, particularly on SMRC, into their own music. You can really hear the influence of the Prayers and the like in bands like Dodsengel, Ondskapt etc.
http://youtu.be/AripvWbg-6I?t=5m18s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4fTgm7eh00

EDIT: As for the usage of orthodox, there is debate as to why people came to calling this stuff orthodox black metal, but the two main reasons are they cite such theistic Satanism, as being orthodox Satanism. The other, is many of these bands often utilize perverted Eastern Orthodox choirs and hymns, such as the choir interlude in Deathspell Omega's Carnal Malefactor.
http://youtu.be/iBbTYaM52YY?t=3m55s

Killsion fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 1, 2013

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Oldstench posted:

Kvist and DSO sound nothing alike.

Tell that to Clit Avoider, not me. He went on some big rant about how "all the good riffs from SMRC are stolen from Kvist".

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Zodijackylite posted:

I don't care for WITTR or any sort of stuff like it, it always bored me. I also have pretty much no interest in much of the "orthodox" black metal, though it's not too stylistically consistent, I can't recall anything called "orthodox" BM that I enjoyed. I don't like DSO's later stuff, only the earliest stuff that was basically leftover Hirilorn songs. SMRC and later don't interest me, it sounds like crappy tech-death played in a black metal style. I love Hirilorn's "Legends of Evil and Eternal Death" (the band that evolved into DSO) but it seems like the creative direction changed a lot when Shaxul left and Mikko Aspa joined - I don't recall liking anything the latter has done. Two of the things that don't really satisfy me when listening to black metal are constant, mechanical blasting, and the dissonant atmosphere/production that seems to have been favored by, almost characterized a lot of French black metal of the past decade. I do love Kvist though, older black metal with the soft, mystical feel and a lot of melody is something I really enjoy.

Drowning the Light's output has been very inconsistent, perhaps the only band where I regularly listen to several releases but can't listen all the way through others. They seem to thrive on EPs and splits but fall short on longer releases - the twelve full lengths all have the tendency to have some good material, but run on atmosphere alone for most of the running time. The atmospheres tend to be nice, but they simply don't stretch for long periods of time with the confines of the band's style. Their strongest releases are EPs and splits - The Weeping Moon, The Fading Rays of the Sun, and the Path of the Old Lunar Cult Empire split. The band just seems to hit their stride in ~20 minutes, capturing the mood and not stretching it thin in that time. This track from a split is one of their best IMO.

I wouldn't really call most orthodox stuff "tech-death", sure Fas and Paralcetus could be argued as such, but the rest of the scene is pretty far from it unless adding in dissonant arpeggios somehow equals technicality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPcUUzQfWjY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsiH3wiE3FQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xjGmcFePl4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I5PcOr4a40

Personally though I love that dark, dissonant, occult, and mystical atmosphere of these bands so I suppose if that isn't your thing, then that is definitely a strike against such things.

As for Drowning the Light, it humors me that a comment I left on the youtube video for Through the Noose of Existence years ago has been upvoted a ton. Never really listened to them much, but I did enjoy that album.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

m-o-o-n posted:

edit: I found out a while ago that Gorgoroth re-recorded their classic Under the Sign of Hell album. And boy did they gently caress it up.

How do you go from this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpdhPivrg2E

To this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyElZZlfiaw

Both sound pretty awful, but humorously the key factor in both of their awfulness is the drumming. The drums in the original sound like farts, but the drums on the second sound like triggered crap too high in the mix.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Nails posted:

My friend who introduced me to this whole thing is in love with MGLA, but I haven't really been able to get into the album the same way. I'll have to give it a few more listens, and look into Sad and Aosoth.

Also, Botanist loving owns. :black101:

I agree with you on pretty much everything minus Liturgy. Liturgy just strikes me as the least sincere music I have ever heard. Just no soul at all.

As for Mgla, definitely try their newest one, With Hearts Toward None. At first listen, it didn't do much, but now I can't get enough of it. I linked the first track earlier in my orthodox post towards the top of the page. Aosoth is well worth a listen as well, especially Ashes of Angels, and the new album is still growing on me.

EDIT: Anyone like Svarti Loghin? Blew my mind when I realized Empty World was actually a Beatles song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zNidSM0lg4

Killsion fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 1, 2013

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Yeah, Two Hunters is an amazing album. I didn't "get" WitTR until I went out in the Cascade foothills and listened to that album in its entirety. It was a pretty incredible experience.

Their music is definitely meant to be meditative and ambient rather than energetic and mosh-y (in fact I know WitTR hate it when people mosh at their shows).

I think that A Looming Resonance and Face in a Night Time Mirror are better tracks but I Will Lay My Bones down is also amazing.

I adore A Looming Resonance, simply a gorgeous piece of music, but the joke that it is music from Dawson's Creek I find both hilarious, and utterly true.

joke posted:

The first track sounds like the type of emotional soft rock that they would use on the soundtrack to an episode of Dawson's Creek, where they are all having a good time at the school prom, but the scene is being inter-cut with another scene which shows a much-loved character being hit by a car/train/burger van, and dying slowly at the side of the road.
Then the scene would show one person at the prom hearing the news (all dialogue would actually be muted and the music would just play louder) and going and telling the other characters that the first much-loved character has died on the way to the prom.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Cascadian black metal is a huge new thing, dude. Velvet Cacoon, Ash Borer, Skagos, Fell Voices, Alda, Agalloch of course... Altar of Plagues also cover similar themes in White Tomb and Mammal (their newest album is really weird and not like the others at all).

There's a tag for it on last.fm

I don't know if I'd lump Velvet Cocoon in with this stuff, but Alda is fantastic. Also don't forget Panopticon. Everyone loves Kentucky.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAUtCa13V38

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Smekerman posted:

Alda's Tahoma is a pretty drat good Cascadian black metal imo. First song is probably my favorite off the album. That riff that kicks in around the 4 minute mark is loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv_9jJAWfH0

Sorry to steer the conversation back to blackgaze, but has anyone heard Entropia - Vesper yet? I thought I was kinda burnt out on shoegaze/black metal hybrids but this album is way more black metal than it is shoegazey. Definitely one of the better examples of the genre that I've heard yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wm18M9bbg8

Absolutely agreed on Tahoma, definitely one of the best records in the genre.

I recently picked up Entropia - Vesper actually but I am yet to listen to to it, sounded good though from what I sampled. I'll be sure to listen to it in the morning and give my thoughts.

Also who cares if we talk about this kind of music, it is still valid for the thread and clearly we enjoy it.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
So I'm listening to Entropia - Vesper, and to call this "blackaze" is frankly a gross overstatement. There is a lot of stuff going on in this record with influences from all over. Definitely also has a strong atmospheric sludge, and post-rock influence as well, particularly on the title track. This is fantastic. Check it out folks.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Anus Dei posted:

-- Dodheimsgard, who tried to do the whole millennial cybermetal thing and had questionable results. I remember when Supervillain Outcast first came out it was universally panned, but for whatever reason the reviews of metal-archives are trending it back toward universal praise. Personally I think it's ... interesting, but probably not something that needed to have the Dodheimsgard name on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfO1ZSYh_ho

But really nothing sounds like Thorns.

e: I figured I should give another listen to Supervillain Outcast and dear god it's still just as awful as I'd remembered. I hope 666 International is better.

Satanic Art is really the only thing worth listening to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyADnkGNswI

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

m-o-o-n posted:

Uhh Kronet Til Konge is a pretty excellent album dude.

It's decent but overall isn't really special in the same way as Satanic Art is.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

5er posted:

Are Anaal Nathrakh the guys that got about a bajillion metalheads infuriated when one of em was photographed wearing a Radiohead tshirt?

Wouldn't surprise me. I once had a friend who regularly would talk to Mick and he seemed to be a pretty humorous open-minded guy that listened to a lot of different non-metal music.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Oldstench posted:

No thanks.

Seconding. I don't even know what the hell I just listened to, but it wasn't good.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

YYZ posted:

Can anyone recommend some bands with vocals in German? Stuff like Helrunar and Lunar Aurora, or anything that sounds like Bethlehem's Dark Metal (although it's mostly in English) would be cool.

Urfaust sings in German.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYj29xSgaGo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbfcHoZvF8U

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Gamma Nerd posted:

God drat it. You guys were right, commercialization and watering-down of black metal just makes me feel empty.

I guess someone there has good taste.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

nomapple posted:

I figure this is the best place to ask, so which is the best Sabbat (JP) album? I've been meaning to check them out for a while and I don't really know where to start.

Tough to say really. Can't go wrong with the first three though, Envenom, Disembody, Evoke. Also it is a compilation, but Black Up Your Soul is a great mix of tracks from those albums and more, including a 13 minute version of Mion's Hill.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo5lElLB6e0

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
So apparently the new Avichi album is out but I can't find a single thing about it. Did it actually come out?

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

A Serious Woman posted:

I don't remember having seen this anywhere in the thread so my apologies for posting this if it's already been discussed.

Lately, I've really been digging Entropia. I found them on bandcamp when I had one of those follow-the-rabbit-down-the-hole kind of days. Anyway, I know there's not always a lot of love for blackgaze in all circles but I really quite like this style. Honestly, I don't know if blackgaze is even the correct term to be using; it's just one I've seen used around a bit and it feels like it applies to Entropia. I guess it reminds me of Deafheaven but just way better.

It's also kinda disappointing that the kickstarter to put their album on vinyl isn't doing so well. I'm not really hopeful anymore that it's going to happen.

Pretty sure we discussed Entropia several pages back but I loved the record. Definitely up there for one of my favorite black metal records of 2013 with Sunbather. Shame about the kickstarter though.

Tesla is a wonderful track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmKxd63Q_QQ

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Zodijackylite posted:

Three of them moved on to Deathspell Omega, who have sucked horribly since Shaxul left.

:goonsay:

Try not to cut yourself on all that edge.

QPZIL posted:

The new Ash Borer is pretty nuts, I love it.

edit-- oh it came out in February :downs:

Agreed, very solid. Much better than the new Skagos.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

nomapple posted:

I was really disappointed with this. I loved "side A" when he put that up on bandcamp, but the rest of it was super mediocre. I'm glad it all came out digitally beforehand, else I might have preordered the eventual vinyl release on the strength of that first track. I was also relatively nonplussed by the Panopticon/Vestiges split, although from what he's said about Panopticon/Falls of Rauros, that one will be much more up my street. It feels like it's been a pretty bland year for black metal though. None of the records I've really, really liked have been straight up black metal. (Before someone says Cultes Des Ghoules, I like it, but it didn't exactly blow me away). It's been a great year for death metal though.

Totally agreed on most counts. I did greatly enjoy the Panopticon/Vestiges split though. The Suicide Nation cover was a nice surprise too as I'd say they are a fairly underrated screamo band.
Listening to Henbane all I could think of was when the song was going to end. Interesting stuff, but poorly executed, and ultimately tired and boring. I'm sure my black metal AOTY list will make the neckbeards froth at the mouth anyway.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
I find the difference between v0 and 320/FLAC so minuscule I always go for v0 if I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

apophenium posted:

Wow, thanks whoever mentioned Entropia, that album is aces. I've had Gauss on repeat the past few days. Since it's getting towards the end of the year I've started thinking about what's come out so far. Fanisk and Ruins of Beverast are way up there for me. Deafheaven and now Entropia are probably gonna be there too. Oh yeah and Aosoth. The new Arckanum and Watain albums didn't really do much for me. Anything I missed that's really been making waves?

New Altar of Plagues is worth a listen if you haven't checked that yet. The new Yellow Eyes is very solid as well, as is the new Woe. Also not for everyone, but the new Paysage d'Hiver is fantastic as well.