Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Poop Lawyer posted:

It's Stevie Floyd's new band (Guitar\Vocals for Dark Castle). No idea if they suck or not, though!

Dark Castle are good, so hopefully not :D

Favourite BM releases so far this year? The Great Old Ones- Al Azif is the clear forerunner for me so far, although Mutilation Rites new album is also very good. What say ye?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Rion.exe posted:

Could you guys throw out a few recommendations for... Otherworldly Black Metal?

I don't know a great deal about black metal and I'm not really into the Marduk style FULL SPEED AHEAD :black101: stuff, but the parts I like, I really like.

I'm trying to find more music like the following:

Wolves in the Throne Room - A Looming Resonance - Amazing.

Nehmah - Taken Away by the Torn Black Shroud - I really like this song. Really a lot.

Peste Noire - Dueil Angoisseus - I think this is absolutely killer too.

Alcest - L O Naissent Les Couleurs Nouvelles - Mentioning an awareness of Alcest because I guess it'll be the first thing to come to people's minds. :)

Burzum - Budstikken - I like a lot of Burzum's more atmospheric stuff, especially Dunkelheit, but Budstikken really does it for me.

Dimmu Borgir - Entrance - Not hugely into Dimmu Borgir for the most part, but this song absolutely nails the 'otherworldly' feeling that I am really into.

I am after the stuff like this that focuses the atmosphere more on the feeling of experiencing the metaphysical / strangeness / awe / horror rather than the whole suicidal depressive black metal area.

Thanks a lot for any recommendations, much appreciated! :tipshat:

They have been mentioned many a time, but I feel like giving another rec for The Great Old Ones

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Can't see whether they've been mentioned but as "Cascadian" BM goes, I really love Skagos. All of their stuff is good, but Anarchic (side A) is really spectacular. It has an amazing ambient pulse, I hope we get to hear the rest of it before the end of the year. The split with Panopticon is also excellent (including Panopticon's side), and their debut, Ast is free to download. Although it is less developed than the split/Anarchic, it is still well worth hearing.

Also, people who know things about Hellenic Black Metal, please recommend me some bands, I only really know Rotting Christ, but I like them a lot.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 5, 2012

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

RHTITE posted:

If you haven't already, look back further into Immortal's work. Their stuff pre-Heart Of Winter is all worthwhile, with Pure Holocaust standing out as one of the best ever.

Hellhammer - Apocalyptic Raids

Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales

Enslaved - Vikinligr Veldi, Frost, Yggdrasil demo

Gorgoroth - Pentagram, Antichrist

Rotting Christ - The Mighty Contract

Darkthrone - Transylvanian Hunger

To add to the Burzum recommendation above, get everything up to Filosofem. Avoid demo or bootleg stuff because it's just existing recordings that have been sabotaged to sound differently and then sold.

I would like to add:
Darkthrone- Under A Funeral Moon (my favourite classic BM album)
Dissection- Storm of the Lights Bane
Enslaved- Eld, Isa and albums after that too, where they start to bring in more and more prod influence.

Also for anyone interested I saw Anaal Nathrakh at Hellfest this weekend, and they played a song from the forthcoming album, which sounded very good. Dave said it will sound like "In the Constellation..." but crazier. Personally, I can't wait.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Anus Dei posted:

This is from over two weeks ago, but please add Lunar Aurora to your list, should you need that 'projected into the airless cosmos' feel from your black metal.

I've really got into them recently, their new album took a while to sink in, but I'm really enjoying it now. Where would you recommend going next with them?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

My personal favourite Lunar Aurora album is Andacht. If you like that style of black metal (which I know you do, having watched Endstille with you last Friday!), also definitely try out Gest (album: Galeere), and Dark Fortress (Eidolon), assuming you don't know either band. Run, don't walk - they're killer albums.

Coming to the end of my first listen through of Andacht, and you're right, it rules. I like the faster pace (in comparison to Hoagascht anyway). I will check out those other 2 bands you mentioned as well. There is something about Lunar Aurora that is totally spellbinding though, I love it. Their atmosphere feels very unique to them.

Speaking of unique (well, not so much anymore because clones are everywhere), Deathspell Omega's Drought is out now, what do we think? I have just hit play, so I will report back shortly, but I gather reception has been pretty mixed for it? I'll be honest, I enjoy DsO's shorter releases more (with the exception of SMRC) because their music is so intense, so I have high hopes for this. Abrasive Swirling Murk was also fantastic.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

New Ash Borer

I love it, but opinions so far seem to be a bit mixed. I'll update with more detailed thoughts later.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Holy poo poo, Kentucky is loving awesome. I need this album. Klassenkampf ist Krieg.

edit: Seriously, I can't stop listening to this album. If you haven't, listen to it now.

I found it online. Tempted to give it a download, I bought the rest of his stuff, but not this because I was annoyed at vinyl only release and the shipping was awful for EU customers. Panopticon's material is too hit and miss for me to risk 25-30 on an album I may not like, although I must admit the preview tracks are excellent. I'll probably pick up some new merch when he puts the bigcartel store back up, as I would very much like a Panopticon shirt.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'm really digging the new Wrathprayer album. I tend to tire from the black/death (bestial/war metal) (yeah I don't even know what the actual correct term is) pretty quickly, with exceptions such as Teitanblood. It appears we have another exception here. It has all the barbarity of any other war metal release, except it comes with a shitload of atmosphere too. The riffs are dark and swirling, they blend into one another, occasionally snapping us out of the trance with a really fast chaotic bit, or with a genuinely catchy gallop at times. This is everything I could ask for from a release such as this, fist pumping, menacing, atmospheric war metal. Don your bullet belt, black hoodie, and leather jacket, and don't miss out on this release!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

deadking posted:

It's such a fantastic album; I found myself playing Black Soot and Red Blood over and over again the day I got it. I was skeptical when Lundr announced the album's concept but I think he perfectly blends the black metal and bluegrass elements together. In my opinion this absolutely surpasses his previous material (which is still quite good of course). Also nomapple I believe Pagan Flames/Handmade Birds are going to be putting out a CD version of Kentucky in a few months.

Since the subject of "RABM" has sort of come up, I'll just leave these here:

Marnost
Lake of Blood
Alda

All worth checking out if you don't mind a bit of granola in your kvlt.

I would like to add Skagos to this list, their split with Panopticon is fantastic, as is their most recent track, Anarchic. Also Lake of Blood have a bandcamp with all their releases available for free, thought it would be worth sharing, as I absolutely abhor myspace.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

IRQ posted:

I came to post about Kentucky, not surprised someone beat me to it, but yes holy loving poo poo is this album awesome. Banjos, in black metal, and it won't make you laugh like that one Taake track. poo poo is bleak as hell.

I'd be pretty surprised if that one NPR guy doesn't do a story on it.

loving listen to Panopticon guys.

I agree with all of these statements. Kentucky is by far his most accomplished work/most complete sounding work to date. A truly brilliant album.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

nerve posted:

hey I love that taake track :saddowns:

Me too! That album was one of my favourites of 2011, it was so good.

Any 2012 black metal worth checking out aside from Panopticon, Mgla, The Great Old Ones, Wildernessking, Adustum, Lunar Aurora, Deathspell Omega and Sutekh Hexen? I feel like this year has been a bit thin on the ground for black metal releases so far... Anything in the vein of the Taake/Craft releases from last year would be very welcome.

(I have ignored black/death releases such as Impiety and Wrathprayer for this as they sound so different and I just want some more icy BM in my life)

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Hawaii_Lame-O posted:

I have a couple.

Mare Cognitum - An Extraconscious Lucidity
Obolus - Lament
Yayla - Sathimasal

And, of course, there's the new Agalloch EP if you're into that!

EDIT:

There's one single by a band called Black Monolith that isn't too bad. Haven't bothered to check if/when they have an actual album coming out.

Also, if you can find it, there's the Altar of Plagues/Year of No Light split; the former might fit into some nice BM for you (the latter should be some ethereal post/sludge stuff).

And then, of course, there's the new A Forest of Stars video I already posted in this thread, a song from their upcoming release later this year. Not sure if it counts as icy enough, but I imagine it's something that would be liked by people who like the sort of black metal we do.

And, if you're looking into the future, there's the looming monster coming right for us that is Darkspace IV.

The Obolus EP is pretty great. I can't wait to hear the rest of Passenger (the Black Monolith EP as I really like that track. Being a fan of both AoP and YONL I was actually really disappointed by that split. Both felt a bit half baked, and just generally unsatisfying. I keep meaning to check out A Forest of Stars so I guess now is a good time to do so. I listened to the Yayla album yesterday actually, and it didn't do anything for me :( I found it pretty boring if I am honest. I will take a look in to your first rec though, as I haven't listened to them before.

Hoof posted:

Don't know if this is what you're looking for but Unstille by Der Weg einer Freiheit released in June and I've had it on repeat since then.

Thanks, I haven't actually listened to these guys before, I will bring back my impressions.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

So I finally listened to the new Bosse-De-Nage (entitled III), and it is fantastic. I really can't recommend this enough. Whereas II felt like it was being wonky and unnerving for the sake of it, III is an album with beautiful fluidity, whilst retaining an unsettling quality at times. This feels like a lot more complex album, and there is a lot more on show here both musically and emotionally. As much as this will immediately turn some of you off this album, there is a stronger indie rock/shoegaze influence here, which gives a very cathartic feel to the end of the album especially. I wouldn't go so far as to say it softens their sound, but it definitely removes the jagged edges present on II. If you're even remotely interested, I'd check it out. Don't sleep on this.

Listen to the opening track here.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Oops, I meant to hit edit, and I hit "quote" without realising and posted anyway, but: Opinions on the new Wodensthrone?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Sloppy posted:

That video ruled.

Indeed, the music felt pretty unique too. I preordered the album today, really looking forward to having it.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The first track has been released online for Winterfylleth's 3rd album The Threnody of Triumph. Personally I think they're the best BM band that the UK has to offer (unless we're counting Anaal Nathrakh in there, but they blend so many different genres that I don't really think of them as a BM project). Anyway, you can hear the track here. I really like it, cold black metal with an epic feel to it. On my twitter feed a few people have heard it already (journos) and it has garnered very high praise indeed.

Looks like I'm gonna have to give the new Nachtmystium a spin, heard nothing but good things about this record...

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Nah. Not by a long shot.

Old Forest, Ghast, Adorior, White Medal are far superior. And historically, Darkness, Dead Christ are excellent too.

Wow, I never even realised Ghast were a UK band! :blush: Guess I'll have to check out those others!

For anyone wondering, I was at Bloodstock this weekend, and both Winterfylleth and Anaal Nathrakh were excellent. Nathrakh were by far the best band of the weekend in my opinion, I was on the barrier and absolutely delirious with terror and happiness at the same time. I was a total wreck by the end of their set, it was so good. I also happened to end up standing next to Mick and Duncan (Duncan does live bass for AN, and vocals for Fukpig for those wondering) whilst watching 'fylleth, which was really loving cool. I also got my LP of Hell is Empty and All the Devils are Here signed by all members of the band. From speaking to Mick, Duncan and Dave briefly at various points over the weekend, they all seem really cool, and I now love them even more than I did.

/fanboy rant over

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

a false posted:

Yeah pretty much this. A lot of Ukrainian bands are really good and worth listening to but it's probably a bad idea to give them money.

Yeah, this a real shame. Walknut is a fantastic project (which I did actually give my money to before doing my research). It's a shame that some of the nationalist/right-wing BM sounds so good, as often they capture a sound not found in other BM (or not for me, anyway). I wish they'd put a new album out, regardless.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

I posted this on the metal thread, but realized it might belong here:

Somehow, I don't think the Absurd t-shirt will still be an issue after this,
[/quote]

Oh dear god. Musically I love Watain, I think Lawless Darkness is a great album (the other ones have their moments, but LD is the best imo). I also think that Watain are great live. It is incredibly showy, and, at the size they are now, probably the closest thing we'll ever see to "stadium black metal", but I enjoy myself every time regardless. The songs are good, the stage show is good, and the band play with conviction. Everything they do is tight as hell.

But then Erik goes and says things like this :( We get it, you've come to tear down the sun and bring chaos to the world blah blah blah but claiming that terrorist attacks in the name of Watain are A-OK is really stupid. I doubt that anyone is going to take him up on this, and commit some sort of atrocity in the name of Watain, but still, it was a totally ridiculous thing to say. I find it harder and harder to respect them.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

(Cross-post from the metal thread)

Via a recommendation from Kim Kelly, I've recently fallen for Anicon. Just the one EP at the moment, from what I can tell, and they're so new they don't even have a metal-archives entry.

The EP will be released later today.

http://anicon.bandcamp.com/

For black metal fans - kind of WITTR-ish, a bit more up-tempo, great atmosphere.

I downloaded this the other day and can't stop listening to it. If you like the WITTR/Weakling sound then don't miss out on this, it's very good.

Has anyone got any early opinions on the new Ash Borer, Cold of Ages yet? So far I've listened to it twice, and I'm not totally sure. It's good, but it feels like there's something "missing" but I haven't put my finger on what that it yet. It's a very dense record, so I'm hoping it will grow on me.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

skasion posted:

Unrelatedly, new Ash Borer's out. I'm...not really sure how I feel about it. Can't help but think that it's about twenty minutes too long - I mean, even Hvis lyset tar oss is only what, forty-five minutes long? and I'd be hard-put to find a better example of long-form black metal. Here, the first track is solid but the rest are kind of meandering, which is unfortunate given how well they pulled off long songs on the s/t and the Fell Voices split. The ethereal female vocals are thankfully pretty sparse but still seem as superfluous here as they did when WITTR tried the same poo poo. Mostly I guess I need to listen to it a few more times, but I can't say anything on this album really popped out at me the way it did on the s/t. Maybe it's the higher-budget production.

I'll still try to catch them with Menace Ruine this fall, but I'm not really feeling the record at the moment.

RE: The production- I had the same thought, I liked the raw, almost punky feel that the s/t had. In this interview they claim that the punky sound was not intentional, and it sounds like they imply it is not the sound they wanted. I can't help but feel that Cold of Ages is cold and distant, and not in the good "cold otherworldly BM" way. I expect it will grow on me, I didn't think much of the split with Fell Voices at first, and now it is my favourite thing they've recorded to date. When that first song with the female vocals starts (track 3), I actually thought they'd basically gone and put a Worm Ouroboros song on the record, luckily, it does kick in though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Here is some French(?) black metal that I recently came across through the facebook page for a blog I read a fair bit called LURKER. It seems to be atmospheric/nature inspired black metal that is on the colder, grimmer end of the spectrum, as opposed to the lusher, post-rock orientated stuff. I dig it, thought some of you might dig it too.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

m-o-o-n posted:

The obvious answer is Dissection

Speaking of Dissection, does anyone have that 2CD reissue (presumably) of The Somberlain? It's 15 off Amazon UK, worth it?

nomapple posted:

Here is some French black metal...

The album arrived in the post for me yesterday, and it's definitely on the faster "norsecore" side of things, but it has some very interesting and enjoyable riffs. It's nothing groundbreaking, but worth having I would say, particularly as this year has been a bit thin on tr00 black metal. It's still got nothing on Mgła's astonishing "With Hearts Towards None" though. By far my favourite black metal record of the year, it's been such a grower.

skasion posted:

:words: about Ash Borer

Having given Cold of Ages a lot more of my time now I am actually really digging it. It is a lot more subtle than their previous work, I suspect because the rough edges have been smoothed by better production and the addition of the keyboards. It's still cold and dark and grim though, and I think it marks a progression for the band. It's very much a record that ebbs and flows, with small ideas creeping in and out as the songs progress. Unfortunately, I think the first track is actually the weakest on the album at the moment, so maybe try skipping that and see what you think of the album? I actually don't think you'd lose much as each track on the album seems quite individual, so the "overall listening experience" may not be too damaged if you care about that sort of thing. The end of Removed Forms (the final track) is my favourite part of the album, that final crescendo totally rules.

nomapple fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 21, 2012

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Svartsyn have re-recorded and re-released The True Legend (minus one track) this year. I'd whole-heartedly recommend it. Riff driven black metal that melds the melodic elements of the swedish scene with punky, lo-fi aggression. And now you don't even need to strain to hear the riffs!

Just listened to this sample on youtube and it is sounding fantastic, so thanks for the recommendation, I will probably pick this up.

Morbid Florist posted:

This is all I know about it, and it doesn't make me want to run out for it.
http://www.cmdistro.com/Item/Dissection_-_The_Somberlain_-2CD_Reissue-/22008

I'd have to think any demos Jon would have made would sound loving horrible and frankly I don't care about how he got the songs to masterpiece level, just that he did. And the live things have GOT to be trumped by the Rebirth Of Dissection DVD so I'm at the "why bother" point there too.

Thanks, I don't own any versions of The Somberlain at the moment so I will look for a regular version. Also the price just got jacked back up to 17 on Amazon, so I really can't be asked.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

According to Gorgoroth, they have a new vocalist...

"Out of respect for and loyalty to GORGOROTH's audience and collaborators, Infernus [guitar] has kicked Pest [vocals] out of the band, effective immediately. This after Pest informed the band that he would not be prioritizing doing the upcoming Latin American tour after all, just two weeks before the band was set to depart for Brazil.

"Infernus has decided that the tour will go on as planned, though, and Hoest of TAAKE will replace Pest as vocalist on the tour starting on September 7th.

"As for the next GORGOROTH studio album, 'Instinctus Bestalis', vocal duties will be handled by a Serbian Satanist known as Atterigner, of the band TRIUMFALL (Forces of Satan Records)."

Woah, I would love to see Gorgoroth with Hoest on vocals, he's a great frontman, and should bring some energy to their shows.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Speaking of socially inept black metal artists, has any one else happened upon Niklas Kvarforth's teaser for Shining's next album? It's gonna be called, Redefining Darkness and comes out in time for Halloween on Spinefarm.

It's extremely :nws: for blood drinking nudity (w/ artificial vagina and penis) and all kinds of bat poo poo craziness. Didn't I also read recently that he was looking into releasing an album of Christmas songs?

http://youtu.be/ugE9YF3Vg6c :catdrugs:

Edit: I can't :nws: or :nms: this enough.

I thought I read somewhere that he wanted acceptance from the mainstream...

Must've changed his mind.

That really was loving creepy though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Svartsyn have re-recorded and re-released The True Legend (minus one track) this year. I'd whole-heartedly recommend it. Riff driven black metal that melds the melodic elements of the swedish scene with punky, lo-fi aggression. And now you don't even need to strain to hear the riffs!

Speaking of possibilities for album of the year...

The new Elysian Blaze album is utterly stunning, a long, drawn out epic funeral doom/black metal album.

The new Royal Arch Blaspheme is exactly like the first one. Which is great news. Fans of profanatica, havohej etc, get it.

If you want blood and dirt - here's Mongrel's Cross and Begrime Exemious. And of course, loving Pseudogod.

And why not listen to some Dawnbringer?

Thanks for turning me onto Svartsyn, the reissues are all up on Spotify (for anyone wondering) and it seems like good stuff. The new Pseudogod is a beast of an album, although I think Wrathprayer are still edging it for me on the bestial black/death side of things this year, with Revenge hot on their heels.

Speaking of the ugliest black/death around, has anyone heard the 2nd track off the new Teitanblood MCD? One of them is Purging Tongues but there is another new track too. Just wondering if it was particularly good or not because it'll probably cost an excess of 10 to get it here in the UK, and for 2 tracks, one of which I've had since Dec/Jan, it doesn't seem like such a great deal.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Cobweb Heart posted:

Anaal Nathrakh just put out the teaser for their new album, Vanitas, and predictably enough, it sounds killer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VNbiU784j8

Dave Hunt has said that he's been adding in a new style of vocals each album, and it sounds like Vanitas's is quasi-Gregorian chants. gently caress yeah.

Can't express how excited I am for this. The previews sound great. I wasn't *massively* keen on Passion at first but it was definitely a grower. Drug loving Abomination is incredible live.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

skasion posted:

Looks like the Crepusculo Negro label has shut down. I really hope some of the Black Twilight Circle projects can find other ways to release their stuff - Volahn may be rear end in a top hat but he also released some of the greatest black metal of the last few years, probably some of the greatest American black metal ever, and I'd be sorry if this was the end of the road for projects like Dolorvotre, Kallathon, and Axeman.

I guess the ultimate act of LLN-worship is falling the gently caress apart.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the Black Twilight Circle? (I am familiar with LLN).

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Odz Manouk are the only one of those I've heard of! I haven't felt this un-kvlt for a long time :(

Some of this stuff seems fairly interesting though.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

skasion posted:

Even as far as underground bm goes BTC/Rhinocervs remained pretty well below the radar - mostly because of their insistence on cassettes first and foremost. I actually found out about their existence not in the context of black metal so much as in the context of tape enthusiasts.

Yeah I accidentally stumbled on the Rhinocervs store once, I can't even remember how now, probably looking for a cassette or something.

On another note entirely, any Lustre fans in here? I am listening to Night Spirit pretty regularly at the moment, and really enjoying the hyper ambient black metal. Anyone got any recs for stuff like this? The Panopticon/WWW 2 split has a similar vibe, but I want more!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Any opinions on the new Behexen Record, Nightside Emanations? I found the second half kind of boring, but there are definitely some good riffs in the second half. I probably preferred the previous record though, going on first impressions.

For those unfamiliar, Behexen write fairly traditional black metal, here are the first 2 tracks from the album and if you have Spotify the whole thing is streaming there.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Antediluvian/Adversarial split is really good.

Also Nightbringer.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Hey Het, I know you aren't allowed to say who bought what avatar. But can you at least confirm it wasn't you that changed it? Because if it wasn't you, it's the first time someone has gotten angry enough at my posting to waste :10bux: on a dumb avatar. That's a goon's rite of passage, like growing your first neckbeard or making GBS threads your pants as an adult.

Seriously, though, anyone have recommendations if I like Panopticon? I'm looking through the artists he's done splits with now, but I'm hoping there's some great obscure band I would never have heard of without this thread that does a similar thing.

Not WitTR, since I know I've heard those comparisons. For some reason, I just never could really get into them.

Skagos
Anicon

Also what WITTR did you try out? I don't want to force them on you, but I didn't truly love them until I heard Two Hunters, that album is just incredible.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

Taake can make anything unironically rule. See the Boioioing sound effect he uses in one of his tracks.

Is anyone here familiar with Book of Sand? I loving love him. He uses a lot of cello, and a lot of completely non-bleck metal sounds in general.

The boioioioing sound effect makes me laugh every time. Fantastic album though.

Just out of interest, what do people think of Rotting Christ's recent material? Personally, I really like it, but I keep seeing them booked for shows where it's billed as a "FIRST 3 ALBUMS AND DEMOS ONLY" set. Do most people not like the later stuff? I don't think it sounds that different to be honest, just more polished.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

I know I'm not most people, but I think RC changed sound massively and wouldn't listen to much, if anything, past Triarchy. The fests/shows you'll be referring to are NWN!, Redemption and Hell's Pleasure (2011). The vast majority of people at those had/will have zero interest in RC's new material. Redemption fest is slightly different because it's the personal preference of Neamthanga/Primordial for the early material, but that will be reflected in the crowd anyway.

Yeah I'd just seen a lot of those sorts of sets being announced and was curious. I like the early material, in fact, I just ordered NWN's 7" boxset of early material because it looks amazing. Seriously considering attending Redemption, and seriously regretting not organising myself for NWN!

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Funeral Mist posted:

I saw Grave, Dark Funeral, and Morbid Angel last night and it was a great show. Dark Funeral's new vocalist tears it up.

With this in mind, what are people's favourite live black metal bands? Even though obviously some bands kill live, it doesn't always seem to lend itself to the live environment, perhaps due to the large number of high profile studio projects? Anyway, the first ones to spring to mind for me were Taake, Hst is a totally magnetic frontman, and their new black n roll sound on Noregs Vapen works really well live. Then there's Watain. Regardless of what you think of them, they know how to put on a live show. Everything is tight as hell, and although it's showy, the pyro does rule. Finally, Enslaved. They were one of the best bands I saw this year at hellfest, and every time I see them, they seem so happy to be on that stage, and they seem to know what the crowd want to hear.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Clit Avoider posted:

Best live black metal? Agatus, Zemial, Mortuary Drape. Negative Plane sound pretty much exactly the same live as they do on cd/LP. Ascension have been otherworldly when I've seen them. Vomitor.

D666 when they're on take some beating though.

D666 were excellent when I saw them, absolutely savage show. Negative Plane were also great. Maybe it's because I saw Ascension in a tent at midday, but they were far from spiritual. They sounded good, but were far from remarkable. I think Aosoth, who were on before them, were a lot better.

I want to add Altar of Plagues to my list. Although they are pretty far removed from traditional black metal with the amount of post rock influence they have, they are easily one of the most simultaneously crushing and cathartic live bands I've ever seen. Incredible.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

I kept seeing God Seed mentioned around the web but had no idea who they were talking about, at first I thought it was people giving Godspeed You! Black Emperor a funny name :/ I was never the biggest Gorgoroth fan but I might check this out when it goes up on Spotify anyway.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Rejoice fans of Joel Grind's Yellow Goat material! This note was just posted on Joel Grind's blog this weekend...

People keep asking me about this record. I'm in the process of remixing it as I felt the original mix didn't quite capture what I was going for. The first mix seemed a little tame, it wasn't quite as paint peeling as I planned. The future mix will be more in line what was intended: A total wall of noise. I had a few labels show interest in releasing it but I may do a self released LP. I will be releasing it under my own name so it will be released as follows: "Joel Grind: The YELLOWGOAT Sessions".

Some questions have arose about why this isn't being released under the name Toxic Holocaust since it's sort of a back to my roots (Critical Mass demo era) type record. Reason being, I feel Toxic has sort of entered a new phase with this current lineup and it feels less like the solo project it started out as and now feels like a real band...the way I envisioned Toxic from the very beginning. Not to mention "The YELLOWGOAT Sessions" is not really rooted in Thrash Metal, its more dirty Rock n Roll meets Black Metal, not unlike early Bathory (where the name is lifted from).

Stay tuned for updates.

Sounds awesome! Thanks for the heads up. Dirty rock n roll meets black metal sounds right up my street.

PS I am on a bit of a Black N Roll kick at the moment in the vein of Taake's latest (Noregs Vaapen). Any recommendations are more than welcome. Plaag's album "UGH" seems pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Morbid Florist posted:

Goddamn, I've got Horna albums but I never heard this until today. I really loving like this. Hopefully it'll hold me over til Joel Grind gets that album out. gently caress YES YELLOWGOAT

All of this. Oh man this album rules hard. UGHUGHUGHUGH! OUGH!