Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES
AND BURN THROUGH THE WITCHES

So how the hell do you pronounce Per Ohlin's middle name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Non Serviam posted:

So earlier this month I went to Bergen, Norway. Since I was there already, I contacted God Seed's management to see if I could meet and interview Gaahl.
Even though Gaahl was going to travel the next morning to play in the UK, he was cool enough to meet with me that night at a bar. You can read our pretty drat long exchange here: http://www.metalblast.net/2013/11/unleashing-satan-an-evening-with-gaahl/

Gaahl was extremely nice; after the interview he invited me to join him, his boyfriend and his boyfriend's sister for drinks and we just shot the poo poo for a few hours. A truly surreal experience.

I hope you guys like it!

That was awesome! Thanks :D

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Does anyone have any reccomendations for some slower-paced black metal? Think like the intros to Bloodfrozen by Dark Funeral or Freezing Moon by Mayhem.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Gamma Nerd posted:

Bethlehem and Nortt are the go-to bands there. A lot of DSBM is slow, but Nortt verges on funeral doom at times.

Oh wow I completely forgot about Nortt. Love his work. Thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Gamma Nerd posted:

And apparently the Polish band Profanum also does sllooooowwww sllloooowwww black metal.

Gamma Nerd posted:

And apparently the Polish band Profanum also does sllooooowwww sllloooowwww black metal.

These guys are interesting, they don't use any guitar or bass. Thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Morbid Florist posted:

Faustcoven is usually pretty loving slow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYTH8Jfk2PM

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Gamma Nerd posted:

Oh poo poo, new Blut Aus Nord album announced. This and Memoria 3 in one year, and Vindsval's split with Krallice, is too goddamn much to handle...

Holy poo poo yes! I'm psyched :D

Has anyone ever seen 1349 live? If so how are they?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Intergortion posted:

They are incredible, and if you get a chance to see them you should take it.

Awesome, thank you! I love their music so I will definitely check it out.

nomapple posted:

I thought they were poo poo, but it was midday at a festival and very sunny, so...

Anyone got any kvlt black metal tape recs for me? Picked up a walkman off eBay because I felt like I was missing out on stuff from Graceless and Exitium, but other recs are very welcome. Gutted that I seem to have missed the Malefices tapes, as well as the Cosmic Church/CoO split.

Mayhem: Live in Leipzig. It's not good quality but it has the advantage of having Dead on vocals, Quite possibly my favorite black metal musician. If you like early Mayhem it's entertaining. I think it is available on cassette.

Edit: I looked online and it looks like it is available on cassette. Kinda pricey though: http://www.discogs.com/Mayhem-Live-In-Leipzig/release/3291012

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 28, 2013

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

I'm not sure how well known these guys are but I discovered them recently and they are amazing! Pagan black metal, Wyrd "My Ghosts" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRs3GE4NUpI

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

So 1349 and Behemoth are playing in Worcester, MA in April, I'm really excited to see them. Does anyone know if Goatwhore will be playing with them? I've heard Cradle of Filth is playing but I'm not sure if Goatwhore is either.

Also how are 1349 live? They're probably my favorite black metal band so I'm wicked excited to see them. Behemoth will be amazing too.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Who gives a gently caress if something is Kvlt or brvtal or "metal". If it sounds good, listen to it. If you don't like the sound, don't listen to it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Do Behemoth perform well live? I am seeing them next month.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

I'm also really excited for 1349 (possibly my favorite black metal band) and Goatwhore.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Anyone have reccomendations for that really heavy depressive black metal sound? Along the lines of Leviathan, Nortt or Xasthur, thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Thank you for the suggestions everyone, really digging some of the tunes.

What do you all think of the songs released off Mayhem's new album?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Leipzig is my favorite Mayhem album (as you can tell by my various Ohlin inspired avatars). It really is the most punishing sound, and drat those vocals really do just kinda tear through as well as the instruments. It just kinda tears right through your soul. Very well made. Grand Declaration is my second favorite though...gotta love those spoken word monologues.

"WHEN IT'S COOOOOOOLLLLLLLLDDDDDD...AND WHEN IT'S DARK............THE FREEZING MOON CAN OBSESS YOU!"

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Anyone have reccomendations for that more melodic depressive black metal? Think along the lines of Happy Days

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

kirkjames posted:

For anyone who isn't convinced CdG is at the top most tier of current black metal, here's Mark of the Devil desecrating a priests grave:

(Maybe NWS because there's a corpse)

http://i.imgur.com/elnUY0b.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iZnpQqi.jpg

That's pretty loving kvlt.

Anyone have reccomendations for a band that has clean-ish vocals? I'm thinking things like Shining, where clean vocals are used in the track.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Zodijackylite posted:

The only thing to go looking for with Depressive Illusions is the most consistently lovely music in the world. No artist with any amount of pride in their music would have that shitshow release 33 CD-Rs of their music.

You'll want to listen to this is you want to experience pain, sorrow, and suffering. That's about it. Look at this clown. Most of the poo poo on the label is like this.
https://myspace.com/rancidentity/music/song/in-league-with-satan-live-86880479-96328659

Holy poo poo that sounds almost as bad as that time I tried a one man DSBM project when I was 16. And that was loving ATROCIOUS.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Vediog Svaor do. They're an odd band, though - not totally black metal, more along the lines of Ved Buens Ende or Fleurety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBix2HruvI4

Oh, and a bunch of prog black bands like Xanthochroid, Janvs and Ne Obliviscaris do.

I dig this a ton! Thank you :)

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

So, it now appears that Blake Judd has decided NOT to dissolve his band Nachtmystium - just to discontinue touring.

ďI have actually decided not to end the band. The time I announced that Nachtmystium was no more came after a series of really difficult issues and situations, and I decided it was time for a major change in my personal life. Nachtmystium has dominated just about every aspect of my life and has been extremely consuming of my time. With the touring band lifestyle being what it is, it caused me to get very involved with drugs. I am an addict and have struggled with substance abuse issues for years, but in the last four years or so, it got way out of control and began to ruin my life. I decided that after all the poo poo hit the fan, I needed to get out of the spotlight for a while, get myself some help, and start a new and more normal life. At the time, I really felt like Nachtmystium needed to end for that to happen. Now that I have had a good nine months to clean myself up as far as my drug problem goes, and have regrouped mentally and made a new life for myself, Iíve been able to really think about what Iím doing and where Iím going with music. Due to the immense amount of feedback I have received from fans on our Facebook page telling me how sad they were that I was bringing the band to an end, I decided that ending the band was not what needed to happen in order to live a new life. I just reprioritized how the band is going to be present in my life, and I have also decided that I will no longer be touring at all. But just hanging up the name, all the momentum and success Iíve had with the band doesnít seem logical to me now that I have had time to do everything Iíve mentioned. I donít really care what people say or think about my decision to continue on with the band after announcing that it was coming to an end. Iím sure some people will talk poo poo, but that is nothing new for me or this band. Iím looking at The World We Left Behind as the end of a chapter in Nachtmystiumís history. What I do next will be something new, theme-wise and musically. Iím not sure what direction I will take, but itís definitely going to be something new and different.Ē

- Blake Judd interview with Metal Mayhem Underground

Good for him on sobering up, I'm exctited that they're back. I dig they're sound.

On an unrelated note, what do you guys all think of Vanhelga? The whole "we support and encourage self harm and all our art is just people cutting themselves" gimmick is a little silly but the actual sound I seriously dig. Their use of piano really fits in well with the rest of the background, makes it melodic and raw/grainy at the same time.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

deadking posted:

I dig Vanhelga; they remind me a fair bit of Lifelover, who I really like (do they share members?). Also self harm might be the least offensive thing a black metal band has claimed to endorse.

Vanhelga does have former members of Lifelover I believe. The other band I've been digging lately is Nocturnal Depression, maybe best known because one of their guitarists has a hand deformity. He also plays in Make A Change...Kill Yourself.

I recently picked up "When the Prozac No Longer Helps" by Niklas Kvarforth (of Shining). I have to say Shining is my favorite black metal band, and after reading the lyrics in english it makes me appreciate the music a lot more. Has anyone seen Shining live? How were they?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Monkeytime posted:

He's absolutely not sober, he's continuing to rip unsuspecting people off with bullshit sales and "pre-orders" of nonexistent LPs and shirts, and the reason that he's not touring is that he'd get his head caved in if he dared show his face in most major US cities. The guy is an unrepentant thief and a duplicitous sack of poo poo.

Wow I had no idea about this, did some research and you're definitely right. Won't be supporting this anymore for sure.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

All political/lyrical themes aside and approaching from a musical standpoint, I was listening to this song by Satanic Warmaster and really dug it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJtqgzlDVMU. I just thought it had this really cool eerie vibe, work great as an intro or outro to an album. Does anyone have recommendations for more stuff like this?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Sometimes Kvarforth is dead drunk and the show is awful, with sloppy playing and no energy. Sometimes he's only quite drunk and angry as hell and they are amazing. It's always a bit of a crapshoot. The new members they have are very talented live, though, which helps.

When they're good, they're very very good; when they're bad they're awful.

That's kinda what I've taken from the videos. When Kvarforth is into it enough and sober he puts on one loving hell of a performance, but half the time he just seems too wasted. It's a shame because Shining is one of my favorite bands.

I would also probably pay decent money to see him go batshit crazy in a bathtub live.

What do you guys think of Vanehlga?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Anyone have some good Norse Pagan themed Black Metal? Looking for something along the lines of Enslaved

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

apophenium posted:

I haven't listened to much Enslaved to know if they're musically similar, but Kampfar put out an awesome album this year and are Norse Pagan themed Black Metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eGKCN4-_1o

This is excellent stuff. Thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Gaggins posted:

Kampfar's new stuff is pretty good but Fra Underverdenen is their best album imo.

Enslaved has changed a lot over their career, so if you specify what album(s) you like you'll probably get some more suggestions.

Enslaved are my favorite BM band right now and I enjoy their entire discography but I was looking for stuff more along the lines of RIITIIR

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Vanhelga has a new video up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnZuLG9JBSc

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

ElectricWizard posted:

Since Kim Kelly normally knows her stuff, I assumed the article was just a pisstake of the controversy around Inquisition.

What was the controversy around Inquisition?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Killsion posted:

Also Antichrist Kramer is pretty damning as well with his posts on NWN. They are both clearly Nazis, and Inquisition now that they are on SoM are trying to escape it, but they are hitting lots of road blocks.

SoM?

I personally don't really care if BM bands are Nazi, I listen to them all the same. Granted, I hate Nazis and all that they stand for but music is music.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Oh yeah, I love a ton of SoM bands but for some reason that just didn't compute for me lol.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

skasion posted:

New Xothist is finally out and it's amazing and free.

A little too noisey for my tastes, but drat good nonetheless. I certainly dig it!

Kvlt! fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 11, 2014

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

deadking posted:

I don't necessarily disagree with your post, but at least one of his tattoos (visible in the article's photo) is a Valknut. The Valknut isn't exclusively a white supremacist symbol, but it definitely gets a lot of play in those circles. So there's at least some ambiguity. It also doesn't help that the article title includes "what's up with those swastikas," which definitely sets the tone. But yes, Entranced by the Wolfshook seems pretty clearly to be an anti-Nazi song.

I am a white Asatru and I use the Valknut all the time, I am 100% against white supremacy and think it is a shame that such a symbol has been used by white supremacy groups.

I think Satanic Warmaster made an interesting point about their use of some Nazi imagery, they said something along the lines of "We are not Nazis but we will use a Swastika to get a rise out of people and to be controversial, because upside down crosses just don't do it anymore."

Personally I have no problem with that, I think it's strange that people will blow off Cannibal Corpses Necropedophile as just being "edgy" but everyone is up in arms over a Nazi Swastika. The way to take away NSBM bands power and influence is to not give a poo poo about them.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Bloodmobile posted:

I dunno, I think he might not be in it just for the shock value. The band name comes from a nazi black metal demo title too.

I think you are right on this one actually. My b.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

I'll be damned if I don't love me some Satanic Warmaster though, the music is p good.

Speaking of, does anyone else have anything along the lines of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKNQyn6YKk8

I'm looking for more stuff with just vocals and piano/organ or one other instrument+vocals.

Thanks!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Weaponized Cum posted:

The lyrics (yeah who cares but they're audible and you can make sense of em) are so goddamn goofy.

You know this is the BLACK METAL thread right?

Speaking of goofy, anybody seen Immortal live? If so how were they?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

I wish I could see them, not a lot of good black metal bands tour the NE USA right now :(

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

1349 released a new bass teaser for their newest album "Massive Cauldron of Chaos"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auY6uMO5Cnc

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

Don't listen to them, I love Satyricon. Except for Rebel Extravaganza. That sucked.

I mean, you can't deny Frost is one of the most talented drummers in black metal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqC73hT5nWQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

DIG THROUGH THE DITCHES

How was anyone not mentioned Taake

Give the Hordalands Doedskvad album a listen.