Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

So the new Taake cd has been out a week or so now. Any opinions?

I just got to the part of track 5 where... there is a banjo solo. I have to say I really wasn't expecting that. Overall it's more of the same, which isn't a bad thing, also there's a banjo solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

RHTITE posted:

If he wanted to go back and re-release old material, he should have done Daudi Baldrs and Hlidskalf. Actually, I bet that those will be the 2012 and 2013 albums. I guess being a farmer doesn't pay what it used to.

Does Norway have Son of Sam laws? He could make bank doin some sort of biography or tell-all book. It sure doesn't seem like he's above selling out these days. (Not that I blame anyone for selling out if someone's buying.)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nuclear Fetus posted:

Not to open up a huge can of worms with the nazi stuff, but I've always found it funny how many slavic bands use neo nazi imagery and lyrical themes in their music and talk about aryan glory, when slavic people were actually considered to be scum fit to be killed off to make room for the real aryan people by the nazis.

Oh well, guess logic is too much to ask for from neo nazis, music is good though.

If you're dumb enough to think one race is superior to another in the first place it's not really that big a leap of logic to identify with the nazis. Besides, they can be unified in their rabid antisemitism, I guess.

Also, shock value.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aziraphale posted:

Black metal? I hate it as a rule because I find it so samey and atonal, and a bit too anti-Christian for my tastes.

Obsidian Gate seems to have changed that. My favorite type of metal is melodic death with bands like Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Vader, and Witchery. Obsidian Gate doesn't smack of Christian hating bile I've heard in a majority of black metal, and the chord progression is actually *melodic* with these guys, particularly the Invoke the Dragon Constellation songs that I listened to.

Is it ok to like Obsidian Gate for my black metal fix?

I'm at a loss as to how you even get christian hate from most black metal without taking logos really seriously or wikipediaing everything. It's not like the lyrics are comprehensible 95% of the time. But I guess there's the sort of post-metal (I hate this term) american black metal scene that really doesn't seem to give a gently caress about religion one way or another.

Although if all you like is MDM I don't know that much black metal is really for you.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

necrobobsledder posted:

I'm being so false posting on SA during MDF but I figured I can't get much less false sporting no band shirt and mostly hanging around for the black metal guys for the rest of the day.

That's this weekend? Man, I'm dogsitting in Towson this weekend, I would totally have invited you gents over to trash my best friend's house (not really).

I'd only have gone for the black metal guys, which is why I didn't.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

skasion posted:

Listened to the new Botanist, aka that one guy who plays black metal about plant puns on the hammered dulcimer. Only now he plays doomed black metal about plant puns on the hammered dulcimer, and it's actually really good.

Got around to trying this out, and I really don't know what to think. Other than this is probably the strangest sub sub sub genre ever.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Goddamn Avenger is awesome.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Holy poo poo, Kentucky is loving awesome. I need this album. Klassenkampf ist Krieg.

edit: Seriously, I can't stop listening to this album. If you haven't, listen to it now.

I came to post about Kentucky, not surprised someone beat me to it, but yes holy loving poo poo is this album awesome. Banjos, in black metal, and it won't make you laugh like that one Taake track. poo poo is bleak as hell.

I'd be pretty surprised if that one NPR guy doesn't do a story on it.

loving listen to Panopticon guys.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nerve posted:

hey I love that taake track :saddowns:

I do too, but I bust out laughing like crazy when that banjo solo kicks in.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Morbid Florist posted:

I'm trying out this Kentucky album and I cannot get into it. They've got moments here and there where I like it but the flutes are obnoxious, the speaking clips don't feel right for black metal, there's just too much poo poo they're trying to jam into the songs. It's too busy. And the hoe-down song, Bernheim Forest In Spring, what the gently caress is this....

If you don't see the history of coal mining in Appalachia as suitably grim and bleak for black metal I don't know what to tell you.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Morbid Florist posted:

Even if you're scared of supporting some NS band, your little $10 album purchase isn't going to put them over the top for starting the next nazi rise or anything. More than likely it's going to buy a bottle of cheap booze, so who gives a poo poo.

Yeah, gently caress anyone who legitimately believes that kind of thing, but there's really nobody living in the first world that doesn't contribute money to really, really bad people. Some shitbird black metal frontman has astronomically less ability to harm anyone than Coke, FoxConn, or Monsanto, to name a few most of us will probably patronize today.

Not that I'm saying go give Watain money either, I'm sure not. Frankly it's more amusing that people get SUPER SERIOUS about black metal like that.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Non Serviam posted:

To me the amazing thing, and I mentioned it in the intro to the interview, is that Satanism gets a free pass. If you say you're a Christian people mock you, but if you say you believe in Satan as a deity, it's just "BADASS DUUUUDE!!!!".

I think Mustaine got mocked more for having a lot of really lovely opinions, eg "Rick Santorum is awesome," being a racist, being a birther, and being a conspiracy theory nutter. Mustaine has always been a douche. So I'm not sure where I see being a christian as universally mocked or whatnot. At the very least that's a bad example.

As for the Satanist thing, I know I tend to think it's often just for show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Morbid Florist posted:

I've wanted a black metal christmas album for years. Not new songs, the traditional ones played grimly and the lyrics changed JUUUST enough.

I'm dreaming of an endless night white christmas
Christians roasting on an open fire
Rudolph the Bloodbath Reindeer
Frostbite the hellbound snowman

This sounds amazing.

Little Blastbeat Boy
Hvis Navidad Tar Oss
Slay Ride (to the eternal fields of carnage)
I saw Mommy Sacrificing a Live Goat to Satan Claus

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I had Diadem of 12 stars. I didn't dislike it, it just never grabbed me.

Celestial Lineage is better. Try their newer stuff.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

satan is my oppa posted:

I don't know how banjos could be anything but snotty ironic hipster douchery, though. Unless it was some kind of southern US ethnic infused BM. Actually that would be great.

You're correct:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAUtCa13V38

And also incorrect:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj_CwKxZMno

Banjos are both folky and kvlt.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

QPZIL posted:

Panopticon is SO AWESOME. The song "Black Soot and Red Blood" is amazingly emotional, what with the miner speaking sample in the middle. Great great stuff. Kinda funny, the guy's name is Austin Lunn - when he moved to Kentucky, he found a guy to room with, whose name was also Austin Lunn. The latter Austin Lunn became the former Austin Lunn's producer and sound engineer.

Kentucky is right up there among my favorite BM releases this year. That track is so haunting, I mean, goddamn. You can't get much more grim than the plight early 20th century coal miners. Back Soot and Red Blood is amazing too, but no banjo!

I'm actually just really happy to have exposed a few more people to it. I would gladly throw some money to that guy if I could even find a way to do it, you can't even buy the loving album on amazon.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 13, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Skilleddk posted:

I'm not much into black metal, but I really love Deafheaven and most of Agalloch's stuff. Can anyone recommend some more bands in that direction?

Alcest, Woods of Ypres, maybe Wolves in the Throne Room?

Might want to try out Primordial as well.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oldstench posted:

Another year, another loving Burzum album. Sôl austan, Mâni vestan to be released in May. I hope the lyrics touch on tabletop RPGs. That would be neat.

With any luck we'll get more pictures of Varg cosplaying in the woods again.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zodijackylite posted:

He has a very, very lengthy explanation, do you really want to hear it?

:10bux: is hardly lengthy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Smoking Crow posted:

I would disagree, but at the same time, I can't separate him from his music. All I hear is racism whenever I listen to Burzum.

I hear a guy shrieking in a language I don't understand so really who cares what he thinks about non-whites.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oldstench posted:

You also realize that you aren't listening to the music in a vacuum. You are supporting the bands and, by giving them money, any political or racial groups they may be affiliated with as well.

Do we really need to go down this road? Have you ever bought a coke? Congratulations, you support literal Nazis, apartheid, slave labor, the assassination of pro-union employees and a laundry list of other poo poo.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

err posted:

Anyone see Agalloch live? Trying to see if it's worth the drive. They are playing with some dark ambient band that I'm not really into.

Based on the two live recordings I've heard I would jump at the chance to see them.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I checked out Darkestrah as per the other metal chat and I really like it, but after catching up on this thread I'm worried that it may be too gazey. :ohdear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evoG7eKH4j4

Is this black metal enough? I need to be validated :emo:

Get out of here you hipster emo scenester shoeologist.

This argument is stupid. The most black metal thing I've heard lately has banjos and tin whistles and violins and such. There's room for Alcest, WitTR, Immortal, and Burzum in black metal. I thought we were past black metal being limited to Scandinavians holed up in remote snow covered forests by now.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

MariusLecter posted:

Anyone know of some good Russian language death metal? Found Scartown recently and I need more. Doesn't have to be melodic either.

Arafel? More black than death, but look what thread you're in.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That's our Varg! :3:

I honestly thought he had retired from crazy ideologies to do goofy cosplay in the woods and bad synth albums.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zodijackylite posted:

I donno man, Breivik went to church before his massacre and Varg went to church before his arsons, that's pretty damning evidence.

:golfclap:

Has any more news come out about this? You'd think it'd get out if he'd been charged with anything.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Smoking Crow posted:

I've been listening to a lot of Les Discrets lately and I was wondering if there was a so called "blackgaze" band harder than that? I mean, it's all well and good, but I want something a little more Darkthrone and little less Joy Division. Any recommendations?

Edit: I hope this is the right thread to ask. :ohdear:

Does WitTR count as "blackgaze"? I'm honestly not sure.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

QPZIL posted:

I think so. It's all that whole "blackened wall of sound" thing.

As long as you stay far the hell away from anything regarding their singer and his personal writings, Liturgy fits that mold pretty well. And be sure to check out the inspiration for WitTR, Weakling.

Weakling loving rules.

Gonna have to check out Weakling.

Liturgy, though, I've read some of his stuff and yeah, definitely don't do that. The music is ok though.

e: it's not even bad in a Varg kind of way, it's just so loving pretentious.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 28, 2013

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Killsion posted:

Fairly certain Faust showed a great deal of remorse and looked at his prison time as being a very good thing which aged him from being a stupid kid who committed such a heinous crime to a mature adult? Maybe I'm remembering wrongly though?

Is he not also the one that wrapped Until the Light Takes Us by cutting himself and stabbing a sofa while tripping over the cushions?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

ElectricWizard posted:

Incoming shameless plug: I wrote a piece on the new book "Black Metal: Evolution Of The Cult" by Dayal Patterson:

Proclick

Spoiler alert: The book is quite good and worth getting if you're at all interested in the genre.

I know it's niche as hell and all, but $65 is a lot for one book.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Monkeytime posted:

I got it off Amazon for about 25 bucks. I think that's just if you want it signed and with the zine.

Haha, I'm stupid today. I just clicked the link at the bottom of that article someone posted and never thought to check Amazon.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I don't think it makes me a hypocrite if I listen to something that's anti-Christian or anti-religion in general but I have a problem with antisemitism.

You realize this rules out any band that has a song that says something mean about Jesus, right?

I just really don't get having to do some weird calculus to determine whether it's ok to like a band based on their (possibly?) stupid opinions. Your jewish friends aren't going to get some supernatural communique that you're Grand Wizard of the Klan or something. I can certainly see not wanting to give such bands money, but that's a different animal.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

According to the comments, it was an April Fool's joke from Xanthochroid or something. And googling "Bipartisan Apostasy prank" gets you this on the Empyrean Throne facebook: "Xanthochroid finally came out that Bipartisan Apostasy was a fake Dimmu song created by the Xantho-dudes".

Supposedly Silenoz acknowledged it somewhere.

Well hats off to them then, it sounds exactly as boring and overwrought as actual Dimmu songs.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Skilleddk posted:

New Agalloch album is up for streaming at

http://www.npr.org/2014/05/04/308273140/first-listen-agalloch-the-serpent-the-sphere

listening through it now

Owns pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Taake banjo solo always cracks me up, but if you want actual appropriate use of the banjo Panopticon did it on Kentucky.