Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives.

I stumbled across this via Twitter yesterday:

https://brulvahnatu.bandcamp.com

I'm not a big black metal listener most of the time, so I'm having a hard time deciding whether this is amazing, or just insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

A couple of months ago I decided to finally see if I could 'get' black metal more thoroughly. I've been mostly a doom / death fan for years, and would occasionally happen across some black metal that would resonate, but I felt like I was mostly getting into the stuff that was fairly peripheral to the genre. I thought that if I had a better context for the genre as a whole, I might be able to appreciate it more. So I've been gradually working my way through the history of black metal, trying to hit the high points, and I think it's working.

I'm up to about 1994, and my observations so far include:
1) I really like the early Czech stuff from Master's Hammer and Root. Would like to know where else to look for similar.
2) Quorthorn was an incalculable genius. Under the Sign of the Black Mark feels like it unlocked the black metal formula in my brain, and then he just turned around and invented another genre. Requiem was a real strange left turn though.
3) Of the canonical Norwegian bands, Immortal's impressed me the most so far. For some reason the first couple of Darkthrone albums didn't click, but I think they deserve another shot. Mayhem and Emperor fall somewhere in between.
4) Enslaved - holy poo poo. I can't believe two guys who were basically teenagers could deliver a debut that incredible, something that completely fits the genre but brings such a unique feel and sophistication at the same time (at least to my ears). It's like they were born with this sound in their blood or something, amazing.

I'm also looking for recommendations for any important milestones I may have missed. So far I've mainly hit on the bands mentioned above, plus Sarcofago, Burzum, Sabbat, Impaled Nazarene, Gorgoroth, Marduk, Samael, Rotting Christ, Dissection and some others I can't recall. Where should I go next?

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

Thanks for all the suggestions, it looks like I'm going to have to backtrack a bit before moving ahead again. I'd already checked out a number of the bands people suggested, but there's lots more in there that's new to me.

One nice thing about coming at this so late, with no real previous investment or history in it, is that I can approach it without the baggage of 20+ years of arguments and debates about purity of the genre, real vs. fake, etc.

I'm just hoping I can remain unbiased as I start to encounter Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, et al.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

Agreed. I think black metal is one of the few genres where "fun" can't be used to describe it and the best bands are the ones who do take themselves seriously.

My outsider's heuristic for this has generally been that if metal is pro wrestling, black metal is the guy who still thinks it's real. Technically he's wrong, but you'll never be able to get as deeply invested in it as he is.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

Back to the present day a bit, what would folks recommend if I really like Darkspace? I seem to recall enjoying Cold of Ages from Ash Borer as well, but don't know much else with a similar vibe.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

poo poo, asking you guys for recommendations is like drinking from a fire hose. Except in this case the hose shoots literal fire.

I'll check back in in a few months once I've caught up.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

I'm a few months late on this, but gently caress it, that Mgla album is incredible. I haven't stopped listening to it all week, and I feel like it's unlocking successive layers in my brain. Also, one of the few metal albums I know of where the lyrics aren't comically embarrassing. They've really captured a sense of nihilism and, well, futility, without resorting to endless invocations of Satan or devolving into ominous word salad.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

I didn't really get into black metal much before this year, so I'm still not totally up to speed, but Mgła was definitely my #1 out of what I heard. I also enjoyed Panopticon & Leviathan (to a lesser extent).

One other thing I stumbled on that I really dug which I haven't seen mentioned as much was Frozen Obscene Deliverance by Brulvahnatu. I don't have any great points of comparison for it, it's just a pretty ambitious and chaotic one man project.

https://brulvahnatu.bandcamp.com

Edit: I knew I was going to gently caress up that link.

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

Here's a cool one man BM project I found on Bandcamp the other day and enjoyed quite a bit. It's nothing incredibly ambitious, but it all feels solid and well put together, and the recording quality's good for a one man outfit.

Ecferus - Pangaea

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

Blue Wher posted:

E: And speaking of them, this release is also coming up, and it's all :psyduck: . Has a bit of a rawer DSO vibe.

Yeah, I checked this one out as well, but couldn't wrap my head around it in a single sitting. I'll give it another shot, see if I can digest enough to form an opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robophile
Apr 20, 2003

Knight007au posted:

The UADA Album\EP is out now and really good. I had been waiting for it since someone posted Black Autumn, White Spring here.

http://records.eisenton.de/album/devoid-of-light

drat, this is really REALLY good stuff.