Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

I got back from seeing Wolves In The Throne Room last night; what an AMAZING gig. Team effort review here.

It was beautiful. I nearly cried.

Wow, I just checked them out on a whim due to their awesome name, and I'm loving it. Two Hunters is an awesome album so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Dyna Soar posted:

Or the fact that the only two genres left that are unlistenable to most people are noise and black metal, and black metal is easier to stomach.

But saying you listen to Merzbow makes you sound soooo much cooler than saying you listen to Bathory or something. :rolleyes:

fake edit-- I hate hipsters

double fake edit-- I love WitTR

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

het posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? Who's saying this? (and so help me if you say "hipsters" I'm going to wash your mouth out with soap)
Well, I'll skirt around the word then. I know a number of people that would, for instance, buy band t-shirts of bands they don't even really listen to, own CDs that they've never listened to, etc., just because of the name. The person I quoted was mentioning two genres of music that were "unlistenable" - those same types of kids I just mentioned would say they listen to these "unlistenable" bands/artists to seem, I don't know, like they have some sort of deep appreciation for this incredibly niche genre. It's the same reason they buy band t-shirts or CDs of bands they hardly even like, it puts them on some higher level with their peers. The same reason people say "yeah, well, I listened to them before they got big" - it's all street credit.

I'm not endorsing it, I was just making a tongue-in-cheek response based on people I'm acquainted with in my city. I assume there are the same type of people all over the US.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Midian and Dusk... are two of the only three CoF albums I still listen to, so that's pretty cool to hear.

I really liked what Satyricon did on My Skin Is Cold, so I'm pumped about the new album.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

ReDiNmYhEaD posted:

Ahoy, I've been given a ticket to see At the Gates in San Francisco next week, and while I know of them and have heard a few tracks I'm largely new. Could someone suggest a starting place?

I did pickup the Rockband DLC track Blinded by Fear and thought it pretty darn badass...

Terminal Spirit Disease is, in my eyes, a classic of the genre. I'd check that out.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

It's an awesome album cover, at least. i loved everything up to and including Now, Diabolical, but the My Skin is Cold EP was really boring.

I haven't read the black metal threads in a while, but I must be the only person that liked My Skin is Cold. It's the first thing I've really liked from them since Nemesis Divina, even if it is 100% different.

Also, I heard Nachtmystium for the first time on GBSFM tonight and liked it a lot. Where's the best place to start with them?

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 3, 2008

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

lordblytzkrieg posted:

So, I play WoW and someone I play with just told me about this black metal band who did a couple songs based on WoW. I gotta say, I really dig them. Its by a band called Sorg Uten Tårer its called "For the Horde" and they also do a song about the Warlock class called "The Demonologist."

here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eygoVl6LWII&feature=related

I was expecting crap for a song based on WoW (given the other bands that are) but that's actually really good.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 13, 2008

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Wow, PYHA's stuff is really... depressing. It's like Gris without all the French smarm. Listening to it and thinking about how he's now serving in the N. Korean in the first steps of what will probably be a terrible adult life, I just can't help but feel all :smith:.

I really want to buy this CD in hopes of some of the proceeds going to him, though I know it probably won't. Still, a CD this... peculiar... belongs in my collection.

edit-- Oops didn't realize the last post was mine too... double post woop.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Qu Appelle posted:

Do you have any links to his stuff, like a MySpace page?

Because I'm finding record reviews for a 14 year old Korean musician, and the Princeton Youth Hockey Association. I'm thinking that it's by the former, though black metal done by the latter would be just as :black101:

https://www.aquariusrecords.org/bin/search.cgi/keyword=pyhahauncd

That'll take you to a page with samples. Yes, it's a 14 year old Korean musician :black101:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Have you ever listened to Gris - Il Était une Forêt...? I mean come on, the singer starts CRYING on one song. I'd say that goes on the list :colbert:

And yeah, I heard Abigail Williams and really liked them, and then went to their website and saw them. So... preconceived hipster "deathcore" whatever bullshit aside, their music is really good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I thought of Gris, but it's not a one-man band.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

anticake posted:

Wasn't Gallows Gallery received so poorly they got dropped from their label? The followup, also alliteration at work Hangman's Hymn, is pretty awesome though.

It blew my mind when I realized that their albums all spell SIGH

Scorn Defeat
Infidel Art
Ghastly Funeral Theatre
Hail Horror Hail

Scenario IV: Dread Dreams
Imaginary Sonicscape
Gallows Gallery
Hangman's Hymn

:aaa:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I got started on Emperor - IX Equilibrium and Satyricon - Nemesis Divina \/:)\/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

No. Evidently, that's a dude that attended one of the first shows of the tour several nights ago. I'm going to the Asheville gig towards the end of Feb.

Oh really? I'll be there too.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Why didn't you fuckers tell me there was a new Absu coming out?

It's really good :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Gvaz posted:

"How do you even know what they're saying" is the standard response I've got from my female friends.

I usually just mouth the lyrics along to it, to prove that they are actually saying something.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

I've never had any interest in black metal, until I heard Dimmu Borgir's "The Sacrilegious Scorn." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9cqKafnUrk

I usually listen to IDM, ambient, and dubstep, so this is kind of a new thing for me, but goddamn that is a song. The bassist's vocals really help to balance things out.

Yeah, ICS Vortex has some awesome pipes on him. He also sang for Borknagar (on the album Quintessence) and Arcturus (everything after like 2003), so maybe you'd like those?

Borknagar - Colossus - Bad sound quality, but you get the idea. A lot more folky than Dimmu Borgir, but still rad, in my opinion. A lot of their stuff is closer to black metal than this.

Arcturus - Hufsa - Again, kinda folky metal, way more avant garde, not really black metal at all. But, it's got Vortex on vocals so hey :shobon:

VVV I'm just throwing out stuff since he liked Vortex's vocals. I don't want to go on record as saying that either of these are good examples of black metal or are even good examples of the bands themselves. I don't even like Arcturus at all.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 9, 2009

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Your Weird Uncle posted:

just scooped nifelheim's "unholy death" and "servants of darkness", both really super good. what is everyone's opinion of krallice here?

I think the general consensus is that they're amazing, but I could be wrong.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Your Weird Uncle posted:

i love them but i've heard mixed responses from the "troo kvlt" crowd. they're playing with wolves in the throne room (IT'S LIKE A PITCHFORK DOUBLE HEADLINER) in may. im super stoked.

Wow, call me a hipster human being but that would be a really awesome show.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Qu Appelle posted:

We need a crying Abbath against the Norwegian flag itt.

Hell, in this forum.

Never forget

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Qu Appelle posted:

Beautiful. Brutal. More brutal than Borknagar ever will be. (Sorry, Borkies.)

I got paid yesterday, and I haven't bought anything stupid in a while. I'm tempted to buy this if you can get this down to flag smilie size.

Sadly I'm no photowizard, it was posted over in the Scandinavian languages thread. Weird that you would request that and it already existed :tinfoil:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Razor posted:

"Brutal" better describes death metal rather than black, i.e. Blood Red Throne is brutal death metal, and old Amorphis is death/doom or melodic death. Borknagar, in my mind, is progressive black.

Brutal is a mindset not a genre :colbert:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Wow, I didn't know that Kvarforth was in Den Saakaldte too. They're actually good! And has members of 1349 and Dødheimsgard as well. I'll be damned.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
[crossposted with Metal Thread]
I don't care how irrelevant Mayhem is nowadays, they put on a great show last night, and Attila Csihar is one of my favorite vocalists, so hey whatever \/:)\/

I took some high-res video, but Vimeo doesn't make it look very good:
http://vimeo.com/4812621
http://vimeo.com/4813361

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

WatermelonGun posted:

On another note, has Marduk showed up yet? :smith:

From what I've heard, they're still MIA at the Blackened Fest shows.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah, I imagine seeing Kvarforth live is part of the whole experience that doesn't really come through on CD.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Latis posted:

Every good band avoids my state :(

:(:hf::(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Gaahl baby don't leave, I can change, WE can change. Just give me another chance!

:(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Fuuuuuck that's an awesome tour, and it's not coming anywhere in VA/NC/SC

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

So Infernus has posted two clips from the upcoming album from the new Gorgoroth album, Quantos Possunt Ad Satanitatem Trahunt. This actually sounds very promising to me.

http://www.gorgoroth.info/discography/

Yeah. Even as a man who has a verging-on-gay crush on Gaahl, this stuff sounds goooood.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Caucasus Belli posted:

It was me and it is a lot better than their older stuff. Not that their older stuff isn't good, though, you should check it out if you get a chance. Iconoclast is their magnum opus though.

I'm really pissed I missed them when they were over here.

I got it a while back, but your post made me finally go and listen to it. This is top notch stuff here.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

quote:

The walls were full of stains, a mirror was broken, and a wash destroyed. In addition, several plants have been thrown out on the street.

How could these monsters do such a thing :O

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Hung Yuri posted:

Shining came out with a new album? ahffffffffffffffffffffffff

Please tell me it's as good as Halmstad. I love throwing my money at shining :byodood:

I was pretty disappointed with Klagopsalmer :( and Halmstad is one of my favorite albums.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Caucasus Belli posted:

Endstille - Verführer

Ah man, I forgot about that! What a fun album.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
edit- fixed...

Crosspost with the black metal thread

A little background info, from the Evighet thread in GBS:

Mudflap McDirt posted:

I'm currently recording a new album for my black metal project. There isn't many good black metal here in Russia, but I'm hoping my music can stand up. Thanks to the OP I'll probably post it here when it's finished.

:black101:

Sjurygg posted:

I'd loving love to hear more metal from Russian about Baba Yaga eating young virgins and flaming knights bringing the dawn through the woods :black101:

Russian mythology loving rocks.

Mudflap McDirt posted:

Only for you, I am now writing a song about this very subject. It will be dedicated to all goons.

So, with that, I wrote and recorded a song about Baba Yaga.

Ensrug - "Vuki ot lesa" (Wolves from the Woods)

Ensrug on Myspace

I think you can download from Tindeck... have the mp3, enjoy it, it's for you goons anyway, no one else.

Like I said, I am working on a full length recording now (and I think the songs are higher quality than this one - I spent maybe a day on Vuki ot lesa), which I will probably leak via SA when it's done. This song was mostly for me to learn digital recording techniques, since I am completely used to analog machines. Ensrug has been around for a while, but I am just now introducing it to the internet.

Enjoy the metal.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 9, 2009

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Latis posted:

Speaking of Ulver, am I the only one that still listens to them post-black metal?

Shadows of the Sun is one of my favorite albums ever. Hell, I spent like $40 on a vinyl copy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

dead56k posted:

I know, I know. The worst offense.
I bought it on vinyl recently, and some of the inner artwork has some weird fairy poo poo going on. I love WITTR, but I must make sure it isn't a black cascade of fairies and unicorns and such.

I wouldn't commit such a heinous act if I hadn't dug deep everywhere to find no results. Asking here seems like a better idea than some lovely metal forum.

Their imagery, album art, lyrics, persona, ideologies, everything - are related in some part to the forest, to old pagan druidic philosophies, that sort of thing. They could very well be singing about fairies.

That said, I think I need to go back and listen to Malevolent Grain a few times. It's so relaxing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Sue Denim posted:

What would you guys consider to be the essential black metal albums of 2009?

Well, maybe not essential, but some of my favorites this year:

Gorgoroth - Quantos Possunt Ad Satanitatem Trahunt
Skeletonwitch - Breathing the Fire
Belphegor - Walpurgis Rites- Hexenwahn
Marduk - Wormwood
*Nazxul - Iconoclast
*Drudkh - Microcosmos
Anaal Nathrakh - In The Constellation Of The Black Widow
Goatwhore - Carving Out The Eyes Of God
Old Man's Child - Slaves Of The World
*Oranssi Pazuzu - Muukalainen Puhuu
Wolves In The Throne Room - Black Cascade
Wolves In The Throne Room - Malevolent Grain
*Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta II - Dialogue With The Stars
Vreid - Milorg

That should keep you pretty busy for a while. The four with stars beside them I would consider essential for the year because they're so damned good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Sue Denim posted:

Thanks! You just got me super excited about a new Nazxul album, I thought they were inactive?

They got back together in 2008, lost a member in a car accident, replaced him, and recorded Iconoclast in 2009. It's a fantastic album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Noktorn posted:

Actually the members of Gorgoroth are most likely pedophiles. Actually not a joke. There was a story a while back about a Mexican concert promoter getting asked where they could get child prostitutes and this was corroborated by a friend of mine who is close friends with a Colombian booking agent. Their main request: five 12-year-old boys.

Actually I find this hard to believe

Actually

private message posted:

Any thoughts on the new Nokturnal Mortum? I'm not sure how I feel about the clean vocals in one song, but after 2 listens the album seems really good. And they finally have a drummer that doesn't sound exactly like a drum machine.

I finally got around to checking this out, it's loving great. Not the same as their older stuff at all, but really good.