Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress I hate being stuck in Canada. I was just super happy in the regular metal thread with some the acts visiting us but than I read about all these incredible bands around Europe, the poo poo I listen to and im stuck. :(

Lucky fucks.

Also Megiddo is loving awesome, poo poo.

EDIT: And than I learn Megiddo is Canadian, haha.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Don't forget The Shadowthrone!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Just woke up this morning to see that Mayhem canceled their entire North American tour for unknown reasons at this point. What a load of loving poo poo.

EDIT: Also those Burzum samples sound amazing -- glad he's back in the game. :D

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 5, 2010

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The promoter in our city just updated the FB event about it. I'll paste what they said below.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=310399458451

quote:

There's no easy way to tell this tale friends.

Mayhem have pulled out of the entire North American tour. No explanation from the band at this point, just a bewildered agent and an equally confused promoter delivering this news to you.

Keep your eyes on Mayhem's online portals for whatever explanation they come up with. I have no answers.

REFUNDS:
Obtainable at point of purchase. I am sorry about this folks, but if you want a refund you'll have to head back down to Into the Music or Music Trader to exchange them.
Credit card orders on ticketworkshop.com will be credited tomorrow and will be presumably posted to your accounts after the weekend.

This kind of mysterious cancellation was seemingly more common years back, which is why some of the older metal dudes seem to be reticent to make a serious investment with time and money in buying their tickets in advance. That makes my blood boil. loving MAYHEM...

The cancellation is bound to create some bad blood for the fire drill we're all going through, but I will remind everyone that this hasn't happened since Enslaved turned tail last year under similar circumstances. The business of touring metal has solidified, but you need an artist to uphold their end of the bargain to make everything work. With no explanation, Mayhem are looking like clowns on this. Without some sort of reasonable explanation, there's no reason to suggest the tour is postponed or will be rescheduled. It's all over.

Thanks for everyone's enthusiasm and support for this event. In the meantime, I'll go back to the drawing board to see if I can top this in 2010.

Yours,
Sam
Team Royal Albert Arms

And on the same note, gently caress Immmortal's promoters and their "north american tour" in 4 goddamn cities.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Morbid Florist posted:

gently caress them indeed but I'm tempted to make the trek to NYC to see them. I can't believe we'll get too many more chances to see them :black101:

Found out a friend of mine is seeing them in their two Canadian dates. I told him to get me a tour shirt and I can pretend I saw em. :(

Curse him for having a career and im stuck in school for now. :mad:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Their last album, Theogonia, was great. Before that the only RC I heard was the album Khrono's and that was more industrial than what I heard later on.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

His views are quite tame compared to bands like M8L8TH or Peste Noire. As long as he puts out good music is all that really matters.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Like anything, this is getting better and better upon each listen. Every morning before I go to school I have it playing and it really takes me away. So glad he's back in the game.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That Immortal video is beyond amazing, im in full black metal mode now. I've strayed into the paths of thrash and other stuff, but im back! Jesus, I live and die by the black metal.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Objurium posted:

Just came here to post that :( Ludicra was a loving amazing band and a shining example of good American black metal. I am very sad to see them go, and more selfishly that I never got to see them live.

The band is selling off its remaining merch at very low prices - $5 tees and $7 LPs. Pick something up.

http://ludicra.org/

Edit: On a lighter note, WITTR's tour dates for Celestial Lineage have been announced. I really like the idea of seeing them in a forest.

http://www.cvltnation.com/wolves-in-the-throne-room-announce-celestial-lineage-tour-more/#comment-551

Blech, that url is dead now. :( Ludicra was pretty great.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How are the Enslaved shows? Are they all over the place playing the old black metal with the newer, progressive stuff? Like E2M2, I am seeing them next month as well. Gonna be a odd night with Ghost --> Alcest --> Enslaved.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Is it weird of me to dislike moshing/jumping around like a madman at a black metal show? To me it's all about the atmosphere the music creates and the above doesn't seem like it gels to well. It's hard and fast but nothing along the lines of thrash. Headbanging and poo poo, yeah, of course.

I ask because I recently saw Enslaved and there was some huge overweight guy screaming his balls off and going a bit overboard.

I also have to say Enslaved did some of the cheesiest stuff but it was hilarious, like the lead guitarist standing up on some box his roadies setup, playing the guitar like he was in a 80's hair band with the lead guy coming up behind him, back to back and riffing away. Truly hilarious to see in person.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cleanse the skin with the blood red suds of Old Spice.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress, I would have loved that. I have the book on my shelf, so amazing and a nice thing to bring up and talk about.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

QPZIL posted:

Ugh why won't this just go away

A local metal band who's lead singer friended me on Facebook and is "PUSHING DA METAL SCENE" recently jumped on this bandwagon. Before it was VIKING BLACK METAL (he just copied Amon Amarth which as we know isn't even in the same genre but he wanted to be kvlt) now it's this loving poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-iJjhzWJmw

Click to see fat man sing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I had totally forgotten about Craft and not in a bad way, I put it on last week and was like, "WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN TO THIS MORE". It's so loving solid.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it came out right before classes started again. :(

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Avsky is just straight up hatred, I loving love it. As long as you don't mind the NS undertones, check out M8L8TH too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Aziraphale posted:

Black metal? I hate it as a rule because I find it so samey and atonal, and a bit too anti-Christian for my tastes.

Obsidian Gate seems to have changed that. My favorite type of metal is melodic death with bands like Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Vader, and Witchery. Obsidian Gate doesn't smack of Christian hating bile I've heard in a majority of black metal, and the chord progression is actually *melodic* with these guys, particularly the Invoke the Dragon Constellation songs that I listened to.

Is it ok to like Obsidian Gate for my black metal fix?

So don't post here? My love for black metal comes from the pure hatred it displays. It's awesome to take in. I don't practice any of the themes but I respect the artists and what they represent.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

ATHOW is easily one of the greatest metal albums ever made, Immortal knocked it out the loving park with that.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

edit: wrong thread

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Caught the Marduk/1349 tour yesterday -- amazing show by both bands. I was split on the openers though. We had a local band, Hoarfrost start off playing a blend of blackened death metal but mimicking the recent trend of shoegazey metal. Seeing a fat guy in his fancy jeanvest belting out pained lyrics of the moon kinda doesn't work.

Second band though blew me the gently caress away. They were called Weapon from Alberta. Some amazing blackened death with one hell of a vocalist. Their set just blew the previous band away and the entire place moved in to come see them and get a good pit going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nadFyNX5o44

Check them out if they ever come around.

Third band were called Withered I never heard of them but they were pretty boring to me (and most of the crowd). Plodding instrumental tracks with screaming littered here and there. Forgettable.

Tiny highlight of the night was watching the 1349 drummer putting away his set, walking across stage and lifting up his leg to let out a very audible fart, at least from the front, haha.

Final gripe -- people who come in corpse paint, maybe i'm alone, I dunno. But I am not here to see you, I don't give a poo poo about your crazy kvlt makeup and blood all over your head. That is for the people up on the stage. At the end of the night you're just an annoyance.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Coming back to Winnipeg - might see them again as last show was loving awesome although they all smell like pee.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

They are the Lord of the Rings band, eh? I could have sworn they had a whole slew of albums.

edit:

code:
Upon the Viking Stallion	Demo	1993	  
Anno Mortiri Domini	Demo	1994	2 (56%)
Promo Tape	Demo	1994	  
The Urilia Text	Split	1994	  
Lugburz	Full-length	1995	7 (68%)
Minas Morgul	Demo	1995	  
Minas Morgul	Full-length	1995	7 (81%)
Dol Guldur	Full-length	1997	10 (81%)
Nightshade Forests	EP	1997	4 (96%)
Stronghold	Full-length	1999	8 (85%)
Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame	Full-length	2001	13 (83%)
Lost Tales	EP	2003	6 (79%)
Oath Bound	Full-length	2006	12 (82%)
Sounds of Middle-Earth	Boxed set	2007	1 (97%)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Listen to that loving wail - this is AMAZING - i'm getting chills!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Satyricon posted on Facebook they'll finally be going into the studio for a new album (it's been 5 years since The Age of Nero came out) with tentative release for September.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You call your metal black?! It's just plastic, lame and weak!

That's pretty much what I get out of late era Darkthrone. As you guys said, it's a big gently caress you to everything and I love it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Smoking Crow posted:

God, why won't Varg just go away?

Cause he makes some pretty good music?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

When you make a masterpiece like this one can safely ignore whatever racist poo poo that is spewed outside the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pguSt3P5PkI

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, caught that show on Friday, it was a good show. A bit short but they took the stage at like midnight. The set I caught in October (I think) was a bit longer. Plus the turnout here was abysmal. Inquisition is pretty cool but funny as heck with the 80s robot voice vocals.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you haven't yet check out the Aussie band Loss of Self, their EP Twelve Minutes is some of the best stuff ive heard in a while.

http://theflenser.bandcamp.com/album/twelve-minutes

The album is only 27 minutes and it goes by so quick you can't help but to go back again to listen. I love the emphasis on the bass guitar - gives a nice added layer to black metal.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Non Serviam posted:

So earlier this month I went to Bergen, Norway. Since I was there already, I contacted God Seed's management to see if I could meet and interview Gaahl.
Even though Gaahl was going to travel the next morning to play in the UK, he was cool enough to meet with me that night at a bar. You can read our pretty drat long exchange here: http://www.metalblast.net/2013/11/unleashing-satan-an-evening-with-gaahl/

Gaahl was extremely nice; after the interview he invited me to join him, his boyfriend and his boyfriend's sister for drinks and we just shot the poo poo for a few hours. A truly surreal experience.

I hope you guys like it!

That was great - thank you. :)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Abbath is Immortal as far as im concerned.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Well, now apparently Abbath is Abbath, King Ov Hell and Baard Kolstad (drummer also from God Seed). Interesting that he has kept it a trio. They've just been signed to Season Of Mist.

This should be great. I really loved I.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

(cover)

lol

In my mind, they aint no covers, Abbath is those songs.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Haha, I remember that. He goes on saying he doesnt really know how to play or something. It's been a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WKzrc2wcxA

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

People who sing about killing christians and worshipping Satan/Norse Gods turn out to be horribly racist people, news at 11.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

KozmoNaut is 100% right btw.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You guys know nothing!!!!!!

*goes back to hand stitching kvlt patches to jean vest*

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress living in Canada. Get nothing like that. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Shelter was great tho? It was pure shoegaze music. If you're not into that genre thats cool but it was pretty drat good.