Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Oh well, I guess it's up to Infernus now to prove that he has actually been the creative force.

Yes! I'm really looking forward to this one. I don't like most of the stuff Gorgoroth has released with Gaahl on vocals. The songwriting and the vocals were so much better on the first albums.

A good friend of mine is going to see them at the Hole in the Sky festival in Bergen this Saturday, which will be the first gig with Infernus back in the band. I'll be at my lovely job. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

If only the other five would do the same...

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Latis posted:

Oh wow this is a great attempt at using wit to express fundamental opinions!

So we aren't allowed to voice our opinions about the bands discussed in this thread? I can't stand Dimmu Borgir, and I won't mind at all if the band disintegrates.

ICS Vortex is a great musician in my opinion, and I really liked his work with Arcturus. There's nothing wrong with Dimmu Borgir as musicians, I just don't like their music. Except from "Da den kristne satte livet til," that's a pretty fun song.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

delusionsofgrandure posted:

Actually it is a spiked mace, it's loving heavy to carry around, but hey, never know when you'll need to slay and orc.

And on topic: i've not listened to any black metal ever before, where should I start?

What kind of music do enjoy listening to? There are lots of different subgenres within black metal.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I don't know if I'd necessarily call all of them "essential," here are some suggestions for songs from the Norwegian bands that emerged in the 90's.

Emperor - I Am the Black Wizards
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ks29jnKD4o
Ulver - Ind I Fjeldkamrene
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2Qrz1dH6jc
Darkthrone -I En Hall Med Flesk og Mjød
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yecA0d4bwEM
Burzum - Jesus' Tod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwSlAm0BEUk
Mayhem - Freezing Moon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB4wSqJVcsA
Gorgoroth - Bergtrollets Hevn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMMA2_qVJtM
Satyricon - Mother North
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbQEIkeZsh4
Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMeiUzr0L14

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

I was actually a little disappointed with the new Gorgoroth clips, but as mentioned it might the production. It sounded a little different than what I expected. My bandmate saw them live at the Hole in the Sky festival in Bergen a few weeks ago, and apparently they kicked all kinds of rear end.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Latest update on the Dimmu debacle (article in Norwegian): http://www.dagbladet.no/2009/09/23/kultur/musikk/dimmu_borgir/black_metal/8237474/

Basically, Mustis claims he has been screwed out of songwriting credits for 19 songs, and has hired a lawyer. TONO has frozen all payouts to the band until the dispute has been settled, and it looks like the case is heading for court.

The article also mentions Vortex calling Mustis "the true creative force" behind Dimmu Borgir.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Anyone heard the new Immortal yet? I'm not a huge fan, but I'm sure it's worth a listen.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Yesh, I just read through the last 10 pages of the Metal thread now, haven't visited it for a while. It seems like people there like it quite a lot more than the people I've been talking too. I'm starting to look forward to hearing it now.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Mordekai posted:

Its boring and bland. As expected.
Yeah, I can't really say I disagree with this.

After listening to the new Gorgoroth a few times, I'm afraid it gets pretty much the same verdict. I was expecting more from Gorgoroth. The songs are lacking, and the production is too clean and modern for my taste. My first impression was that it might be a grower, but now I'm thinking it's not.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Yeah, I'm not a noob to Immortal, I'm just not a huge fan of their style. Sons of Nort(h)ern Darkness was a pretty fun record, though.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Taake is a great band, one of the best current Norwegian bands in my opinion. In addition to the recommendations already made, their eponymous album from 2008 is really good as well.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

One of my favorite folky black metal acts right now are DarkestrahI recently reocmmended them on the forums, but that was in the other metal thread, so I'll do it again right here. I don't listen that much to folk metal, bt there's something about this band I really like. Also, they're from Kyrgyzstan, so the folk elements they bring to the table are somewhat different form what I'm used to hearing. And they have some throat singing as well, I love that stuff.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Caucasus Belli posted:

The new Gorgoroth can suck my dick, it's boring as hell and the band doesn't work without Gaahl.
Although I agree that the new Gorgoroth can suck a large amount of dicks, Gaahl was a poo poo singer. As for Gorgoroth not working without him, how about the first (and best) three albums? Gaahl and King ruined Gorgoroth in my opinion, and I hoped Infernus was going to rectify that with the new album. He sure as hell didn't, though.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't even think I've heard about Mistur before, but I've been listening to their album on Spotify now, and my first impression is positive.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Where I live, I doubt I'll get to see more than the trailer anytime soon, but I'm looking forward to whenever the time comes. It seems pretty decent, I hope it deals with how ridiculous a lot of the media hype was.

By the way, does anyone know when that Lords of Chaos movie is coming out? Boy, that's gonna blow for sure.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Cool. I'm looking forward to seeing interviews with Varg Vikernes and Bård Eithun, neither of them have been very talkative after they got out of jail. And Fenriz is usually a laugh.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Well, that kind of sucks, but it doesn't really surprise me. Contrary to Varg, he doesn't seem to want any exposure at all, I think he just wants to play the drums and get on with his life.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Mephysteaux posted:

Dimmu Borgir are by no means the worst band out there.

I would argue that they are, but not for the same reasons as those fundies.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Who said there's no controversy surrounding the Norwegian black metal scene anymore? Mayhem just got arrested in Holland, for thrashing a hotel room. The damages amounted to 5000 Euros. That's some controversial behavior right there.

Link to article in Norwegian

e: Google Translation (don't have the time to translate myslef right now, sorry)

quote:

Members of the Norwegian Mayhem was arrested in the Dutch city of Tilburg in the morning after they had destroyed a hotel room at Hotel Central, writes the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf.

- I know nothing about, but it sounds not entirely illogical, says Espen Solheim Røhne by Mayhem Norwegian label Indie Distribution to Dagbladet.

Damages for almost 50 000
The band stayed at the hotel after last night held a concert at the Club Hall Of Fame, as part of their recent European tour. The next day was much of the room was completely destroyed.

The walls were full of stains, a mirror was broken, and a wash destroyed. In addition, several plants have been thrown out on the street.

Jan-Martin Jensen, the band's booking manager in Norway, knows not to arrest in the Netherlands, but according to Der Telegraph damages hotel costs around 5000 euros (just under 50 000 million).

The band members can not get out of prison before they've made up for themselves.

Mayhem was founded in 1984, and has legendary status among black metal counters worldwide. They were particularly famous in Norway that after Varg "Greven" Vikernes, the former bassist of the band, was convicted of the murder of guitarist Øystein "Euronymous" Aarseth in 1993.

It has not succeeded in Dagbladet to get in touch with the band's French record company, but an hour ago commented on the current arrest in the Netherlands on his Facebook profile.

- Mayhem is arrested for destroying a hotel room, well done boys, well done, they write.

The band, who last year won Spellemannspris for disc "Ordo Ad Chao", shifted recently released several of its members.

According to NRK Lydverket the following members who are part of the band's tour: Attila Csihar on vocals, Necrobutcher (aka Necrobutcher) on bass, Hellhammer (aka Jan Axel Blomberg) on drums, and Morfeus (aka Krister Dreyer) and Silmaeth on each guitar.

Pannus fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 16, 2009

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Haha, Google Translate actually translates "Jørn Stubberud" to Necrobutcher.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

The new Burzum album will be called "Den Hvite Guden" (The White God), and is planned for release March/April 2010. More info on the official website:
http://www.burzum.org/eng/library/a_burzum_story10.shtml

I'm not really sure what to expect from this release. I really enjoy some of Burzum's old music, but I can't see how he could be able to recreate the atmosphere from the albums recorded back then. Anyway, I'm really curious to hear what the new Burzum will sound like.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Yeah, his entire website is pretty funny.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

My band uses a Maxtor external hard drive for our backups. It's loving nekro.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

So are you saying it's a boring movie?

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Yeah, I hope it's not the typical black metal documentary, because they tend to suck. I'd rather have silence than sensationalism, as long as it contributes to the overall feel of the movie. Anyway, does anyone know if this will be out on DVD anytime soon? I'm not sure if it will ever screen here, I don't even think it's got European distribution.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Not Very Metal posted:

There isn't a lot of new information presented in the film, but it's easily worth the $7. Also, Fenriz is hysterical.

Apparently they have something like 350 hours of extra footage, so a DVD is highly likely, although without any tentative date.

Yeah, I'd gladly pay the entrance fee just to see Fenriz' latest hijinks. It sucks that a movie about the Norwegian black metal scene has no known release date in Norway. I'm hoping they will hurry up and release the DVD (with lots of bonus material).

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Splash Damage posted:

What are some good bands similar to Windir or Vreid? What I am mainly looking for is not singing about satan all the time and trying so hard to offend people. Black Metal might not be a good genre to look for things like that but I like the growling vocals.

There are a lot of black metal bands that don't sing about satan. Since you like Windir, you might like Mistur, who just released their first album. The band features one of the guitarists from Windir, and has a similar style in my opinion.

Is there anything in particular you like about the two aforementioned bands, other than the lack of offensiveness? Might make it easier to make some recommendations.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Latis posted:

Edit: Or more...spacey black metal...if there is such a thing.

I don't listen much to ambient stuff, so I don't have any recommendations, but for spacy stuff, check out Oranssi Pazuzu.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Funeral Mist posted:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=560400

song #2 mixdown 993801

mine and my friends new project, a little rough, we've only jammed twice but i think its decent.
I've listened to that one and the one with vocals. Sounds pretty decent. The one with vocals almost seemed more like crust punk than black metal to me, at least in the beginning. Might have been the vocal delivery. The playing is slightly sloppy at times, but I don't really mind that when the whole production is kinda nekro. I could only listen to it on crappy laptop speakers, because I broke my headphones, though.

Although it has been said a lot, your stuff is really good, Plasma1010. I might have been a bit of dick in the thread you posted in GBS, so sorry about that. I was at work, and in a bad mood.

And since people are posting their own music in this thread; Here's a song from my band. We're currently recording a new demo/album, and finished most of the songs except the vocals. This one is the only one that's kinda finished, although the mix isn't done.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

It depends on the song they write for this, of course, but they have very little chance of getting past the Norwegian "finals". It could happen, but not with a song that's easily classifiable as black metal. I don't really understand why they want to do this anyway, but PR is PR I guess.

Pannus fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 4, 2009

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Bubble Bathory posted:

I got my hands on some Windir due to the praise in this thread. On my way through Soknardalr. Where has this poo poo been my whole life?
Aside from the music overall, which kicks tons of rear end, this is one of the first instances of a clean chanted vocal part I can actually get down to. Anyone else have this problem with some viking and folk metal?

I generally hate 90% of all clean vocals in metal, especially in black metal. Windir always managed to pull it off, though.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Groke posted:

The funny part is that none of his actual song lyrics seem to have any racist, anti-semitic or nazi content, whatsoever. Germanic mythology, general misanthropy, and abstract gloominess, yes. But you'd never know he'd ever had any questionable ideas about race or politics if all you had to go on was his lyrics.

The nazi thing got much more rampant when he was in prison, I think. I don't remember him making a lot of racist/nationalist statements before that. Considering he was considered pubilc enemy number one in the early nineties, it was first page material when he started ranting about nationalism. So at the time he was making music, he was not a nazi, or at least not open about it.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Openknees posted:

Where did he get Gorgoroth lyrics?

It's possible to figure out parts of the lyrics for some songs by ear. Most of it is pretty impossible to understand, though.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Sue Denim posted:

Wow 'The Most Metal Things Ever!' article is hilarious, it even got a good response over on MA. I think this might be because they picked some good targets that just about everyone can see the humor in, didn't rag on one genre the whole time and didn't touch any scared cows. If the author's are reading this, I'd like to congratulate them on such a well written article.

Got a link?

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Cure for Optimism posted:

Try the front page, latest garbage day article. ;)

Hehe, thanks. :)

Pannus fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 26, 2009

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Sodomy is like one of the five pillars of black metal. Of course gays are accepted.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Qu Appelle posted:

This is good. Seriously.

However, the word 'fag' as insult does make me uncomfortable, and not just in an academic 'PC' sort of way. (It's not just on SA, either - I've heard it bantered around many times at various metal shows and the like.) And while there may not be explicit homophobia in the genre, an undercurrent of it is there, and I feel it's something that should at least be addressed somehow. And it looks like it is, with more artists coming out as LGBT and starting a dialogue with the metal scene about it.

The metal scene (black metal included) has always been extremely male dominated, and the culture certainly has a macho element to it. I think a certain degree of homophobia will always be present in such a setting, and I've heard a lot of homophobic bullshit from metalheads. A lot of metal heads are pretty open minded too, though.

A lot of people are very concerned about the "ideology" of black metal. The only aspect of it (whatever it might be) that is really important to me is individuality. That means freedom of choice, and not giving a poo poo what kind of genitals other people enjoy fondling. I guess homophobia may be rather prevalent in the NSBM subgenre considering what Hitler thought about gays, but I don't care much for NSBM anyway, so I wouldn't know.

I've read some juvenile comments about Gaahl, formerly of Gorgoroth, coming out of the closet. But except from the people commenting on youtube vids, it seems like most people don't really care about his sexuality. I don't like him very much, but that has nothing to do with him being gay.

Completely unrelated: The first two Carpathian Forest albums own.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Sue Denim posted:

Gaahl would definitely be a top, I can't even imagine what type of a giant and intimidating man it would take to have him as a bottom.
You be the judge

Pannus fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 28, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

It's possible they would put something like that on their rider, but it's obviously just a shock/joke thing. If they were actually planning to have sex with little boys, I'm sure they would be a little less blatant about it.