Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Morbid Florist posted:

I just got the Gorgoroth Live in Krakow dvd. It's loving GREAT. The sound quality is better than all of the albums they're playing songs from. It's good enough you'll want to rip the audio. I only wish it was recorded after Ad Majorem so I could have seen Sign of an Open Eye live.

Absolutely a must for any fan. :colbert:

Totally agree, it has amazing quality. I actually did do an audio rip of it.

I noticed that Wolves in the Throne Room is generally disliked among some of you, I'd like to know why. I thought Two Hunters was one of the best albums I've ever bought, and I wish I could find more that are as good.

edit: spelling.

Unacknowledged fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 18, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

MrBling posted:

Saying that it's one of the best albums you've ever bought really doesn't mean anything without some sort of context, for all we know you own 5 albums and the other four are even worse than this one.
though.

Well I own the first two Dragonforce albums, so I think I know what I'm talking about.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

primitive posted:

1. Pyha - The Haunted House
2. Weakling - Dead as Dreams
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

Seriously?

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Can anyone suggest anything along the lines of Andacht by Lunar Aurora? I can't stop listening to that album.

Lunar Aurora - Mond

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

dreamsorprayers posted:

If it wasn't for this site, I'd probably never have gotten into black metal. Ahh, I can still remember the first time I heard the song "Christraping Black Metal" :swoon:

Marduk is so boring though.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

Why are they playing Hypocrisy on Black Metal Radio? I thought this was Death Metal. I'm so confused. Just when I thought I was getting a hold on genre distinction...

No you're ok, they've been black metal as gently caress since they released Virus.

VV Really?

"Really?" was questioning his questioning of it being a joke. It's a joke, relax.

Unacknowledged fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 22, 2008

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Morbid Florist posted:

Get all their albums except for blizzard beasts. They all have good tracks except for BB.

Thank god someone agrees with me finally. You'd think with the lineup they had on the album it may have been their best, but start to finish it's just garbage production wise which simply makes it unlistenable. I always hear people saying it's their best though.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Morbid Florist posted:

I can't believe he's getting out, I figured he was in there forever. I will admit that IF he can do something on par with Aske or Filosofem, I would be fired up. But I don't expect it that's for sure.

I remember reading somewhere that if he decides to make music again, it was going to be in the vein of Filosofem. Not sure how reliable or true that is but I'm hoping for it too.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Isn't Mayhem doing a US tour this summer?

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

attackmole posted:

They're not really black metal anymore these days, and when they go for samples of girls crying things tend to get a bit overboard, but more often than not I enjoy em. V was an excellent all around album. I don't think there's a bad track on it. Neka Morgondagen is epic and awesome.

I have to agree. Black metal or not, that album had the most tasteful drumming and guitar leads I've heard in a very, very long time.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

I'm looking to expand my atmospheric black metal collection, but I've never heard anything by Paysage d'Hiver. Where should I start?

Also, is there anything else that's similar to Walknut? I can't explain how much I love their LP.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

pugna posted:

Drudkh, Hate Forest, Astrofaes, Wodensthrone, Wolves in the Throne Room, Darkspace, Coldworld

Good list, I've got most of that but I'll take another look at Hate Forest. I checked them out years ago and it didn't grasp me then. Wodensthrone is new to me, thanks for the recommendations!

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

I didn't like it on the first listen when compared with Halmstad, however after a couple of days it's really grown on me. It seems a whole lot more focused vocally and musically, though I still crave those unbelievably tasteful guitar leads and snare fills that Halmstad brought.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I can't believe it has not been posted yet, but apparently Gaahl has "retired" from metal and King has put God Seed on hold.

...what? gently caress, I was really looking forward to that. Gaahl is an awesome vocalist.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

ICS Vortex posted:

I've really enjoyed the ride, the Dimmu years have been awesome.
I look forward to concentrating fully on my own project now, and
the opening possibility to resurrect a band or three.

Oh poo poo. Arcturus reunion please. Make more music with Vortex for the love of god.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Secks posted:

Arcturus reunion!

Oh sweet Jesus yes!

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Sturmtiger IV posted:

So, I just got into Walknut and their album, Graveforests And Their Shadows, and wow I'm really digging it. I love the, well I can't really describe it, the sort of distorted noise in the background. I guess that's why they call it atmospheric because basically I could listen to this forever.

Any recommendations on similar atmospheric stuff with like, that noisy distored sound in the background? I can't quite qualify it right now but perhaps it does have a name...

I'm looking for something similar and would love to hear any recommendations. I'm throwing these out there in the off chance you haven't heard them already:
- Any Darkspace
- Drudkh (particularly Forgotten Legends)
- Some of The Angelic Process feels a little reminiscent to some parts on GATS

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Not Very Metal posted:

I'm skeptical. I can't loving stand Shagrath, but the rest of the line-up is solid as hell. With King's writing, along with Frost's, Ice's, and Teloch's playing, this band should be a home run. Don't know though, something isn't sitting right with me.
I have to agree, the lineup seems amazing with the exception of Shagrath. Seriously, why? He's a terrible vocalist.

Kaiho posted:

I really like the bass drone in the background, I know what you mean. You've had some recommendations posted but they don't have the same kind of depth and warmth to it (maybe excepting The Angelic Process, but that's not really metal and certainly not BM).

Yea, the recommendations aren't the best. It's hard to find a band with a similar sound, I'd really love to hear more suggestions because this has been one of my favorite CDs in a VERY long time. The guitar tone on the production is just massive. I can't get enough of it.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Doesn't Wyrd have some folk elements to it?

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Plasma1010 posted:

If Gorgoroth re-records any album, I'm going to throw them into the modern Dimmu Borgir pool. Quantos was tolerable but nothing special in my opinion.

I got Hate Forests "Sorrow" album and I really like it. "Fog" was a particularly good song. I'll ask again if anyone can recommend where I go next with them ?

I'm in total agreement. Is there ever a good time to re-record an album? I could see a band like Acerbus doing it, mainly because their recordings had unbearable production.

Gorgoroth's early albums on the other hand, are crystal clear in comparison. This idea is stupid.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Aziraphale posted:

Black metal? I hate it as a rule because I find it so samey and atonal, and a bit too anti-Christian for my tastes.

Obsidian Gate seems to have changed that. My favorite type of metal is melodic death with bands like Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Vader, and Witchery. Obsidian Gate doesn't smack of Christian hating bile I've heard in a majority of black metal, and the chord progression is actually *melodic* with these guys, particularly the Invoke the Dragon Constellation songs that I listened to.

Is it ok to like Obsidian Gate for my black metal fix?

This song you mentioned is pretty awful. There are plenty of black metal bands who don't focus their music on spreading anti-christian ideals and create melodic music. Emperor (excluding earlier stuff), Drudkh, Enslaved, Immortal, Lunar Aurora, Wolves in the Throne Room, Windir, and countless others that people in here can do a better job of naming off.

Unacknowledged fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 5, 2012

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Morbid Florist posted:

I didn't know about that one, but I meant the Live at Wacken 2006 one. It does appear they've got one for that too but it was a way bigger stage so I probably didn't notice him.

There's video of the keyboard player they have from the concert. He's behind a black wall with the Emperor 'E' Shield logo on it. You can see him from their live footage of the concert, or just look at this horrible screencap I took:

I believe it's Einar Solberg, from the band Leprous. Ihsahn was doing some live performances of his stuff at this time, and he used this band to fill in the gaps for his own purposes. Einar does the clean vocal harmonies on Emperors more recent live performances, and I hate them. The player they had on Emperial Live Ceremony was far, far better; I think that was Charmand Grimloch from Tartaros, though he didn't harmonize the clean vocals, he did the additional screams. Tyr did the clean vocals in 1999.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Random question, can anyone tell me who these two are, or what band they're from? Brother's in Norway right now, not sure where the photo is on display. We're having a tough time identifying it, though. He couldn't find any sort of label.

Unacknowledged fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Sep 24, 2014

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Ah, thanks to both of you.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

I know this probably isn't the right thread for this, but I can't be the only person who can't stand Ne Obliviscaris' clean vocals, right? That guy has an unbelievably whiny voice.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Rime posted:

The instrumentals more than make up for the vocals, utterly awesome. :colbert:

How do you feel about the weird rear end vocals by Woods of Ypres? I loving love the bizarre sound the lead singer had.

Agreed, I really enjoy the rest of NeO, just those cleans jump out a lot.

Woods of Ypres I've always really liked, vocals never struck me as bad, sometimes they're pretty meh, other times it works really well.

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

There's not enough Walknut in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.

Henchman of Santa posted:

How are Mayhem live these days? I've had my eye on the upcoming DMDS tour with Inquisition and I just scored two free tickets!

I saw them a few years ago in Chicago and thought they were great. Necrobutcher still kinda blows but it didn't impact the show. Everything sounded great, Hellhammer and Attila rip live.